Code of Conduct

Default Have you ever been happy with a reformulated fragrance?

There are constant complains in this forum about reformulated fragrances and how they're worse than the original formulations. As far as I've seen, the only time when this is good news is when someone tries to revive the original formula of a scent.

'Fragrance division of brand X was bought by brand Y and their greedy/ignorant marketing department spoiled it all'
    'Today's fragrance of the same name is a pale shadow of its former self"
    'Vintage formula is the real thing'
    'They replaced natural ingredients with synthetic ones making it's worse'
    'They 'updated' the fragrance looking for more popular appeal'
    etc., etc.

I don't have great experience in this, but in theory it's of course logical to ask how much prejudice is contained in such discontent. Naturally, it's hard to separate one from another. Especially when you wear a certain fragrance for years and then it's changed. Especially considering how deep the connection between scent and emotional memory is. And of course, all the common suspicion towards big brands, money factor, etc.

Yet, here's my question:
    Have you ever enjoyed a reformulated fragrance equally or more than the old version?
    Is it actually possible to be objective when it's about something you've been emotionally connected with for years?
    How about a new formula of an old fragrance that you smell for a first time in your life? Can your pleasure be spoiled by the thought that it's been reformulated, hence you're not smelling 'the real thing'?

Default Re: Have you ever been happy with a reformulated fragrance?

Not really but Mitsouko was good. I have no beef with the reformulated Vetiver by Guerlain although I would have loved if they kept the original. Everything else reformulated was quite disappointing but you have to carry on with what's available because it can't be totally different.

I'm not saying I'm happy with this particular frag, but I must say that the reformulated Ungaro III is not significantly worse than the vintage one (I owned and still own bottles of both formulations, so I noticed that)

My Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men is good. I believe it has been tweaked a little, but I am not sure. The GBH Red for Men is not as good, at least according to my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    My Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men is good. I believe it has been tweaked a little, but I am not sure. The GBH Red for Men is not as good, at least according to my nose.
    I don't think these were reformulated. i have stock from before the discontinuation and the newer ones. My older stuff is kept in EXCELLENT conditions. No differences AT ALL. The new synthetic moss is incredibly accurate in the new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    I don't think these were reformulated. i have stock from before the discontinuation and the newer ones. My older stuff is kept in EXCELLENT conditions. No differences AT ALL. The new synthetic moss is incredibly accurate in the new ones.
    That's good to know!

Sure. Reformulation doesn't bother me at all.

Basenotes Institution

The following scents reformulated are fine by me.
    Joy
    Mitsouko
    Vol de Nuit
    Vetiver
    Jicky
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Reformulations do not mean the end of my enjoyment of frags. There are more important things to worry about. On the other hand, i actually prefer the reformulated M7 to the original formulation. There's something about it that makes it easier to wear for me.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I never tried the original Amouage Gold Men, but I certainly like the reformulated version. I also find Guerlain's updates to be quite successful, Derby, Mitsouko, Shalimar, Vol de Nuit, etc.

I prefer the reformulated Monsieur de Givenchy to the original. Smells very similar, but with a little more of the rasp that I like, and superior longevity.

Must de Cartier Pour Femme is one that i prefer on the reformulated version. The old one had an animalic smell that i didn`t enjoyed, and the new one doesn`t have.
    I also agree that Guerlain reformulations are quite good in fact. They try to keep the best they can the overall fragrance aura.
    One fragrance that, while i haven`t tried the original one, I enjoy the reformulation is the pure parfum of Tabac Blond. Is not so terrible or nasty as LT pointed at this book.

Actually, I think the vintage Habanita would not have been for me, while the current Habanita does the trick.
    I also like the current Tabac Blond Extrait very much (it took me a while) and I'm soon getting a sample of the original to compare.

DeepSilence

I heard M7 is very strong, i got it. It was very smooth for me. I regret that never i can't find first version.

Just about a year i'm interested very much about fragrances. I didn't try many fragrances.

So just because of M7, I say NO!
    Last edited by DeepSilence; 27th September 2010 at 06:38 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Must de Cartier Pour Femme is one that i prefer on the reformulated version. The old one had an animalic smell that i didn`t enjoyed, and the new one doesn`t have.
    I also agree that Guerlain reformulations are quite good in fact. They try to keep the best they can the overall fragrance aura.
    One fragrance that, while i haven`t tried the original one, I enjoy the reformulation is the pure parfum of Tabac Blond. Is not so terrible or nasty as LT pointed at this book.
    I love both versions of Must de Cartier- my Mom wears it. I also agree re. Caron. I know lots of people don't like the new formulations of the classic Carons but I do love all the current version Carons I have tried.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Un profumo affettuoso

I often mourn the reformulations of some of my all-time favs, but I manage to "make do" with the reformulations of
    -Diorella
    -Femme de Rochas
    -Jolie Madame
    -Feminité du Bois
    -"Y" by YSL ...
    although I'm not 100% happy with the new version.

There are, however, some reformulations I find inacceptable,
    among them: Dioressence, Parfum Sacré, Tabac Blond, Royal Bain (de Champagne) and Madame Rochas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    I love both versions of Must de Cartier- my Mom wears it. I also agree re. Caron. I know lots of people don't like the new formulations of the classic Carons but I do love all the current version Carons I have tried.
    I think that the recent parfum version of must is a great halfway between the reformulated on versus the old one. It has something animalic, but not so evident. And it also smells more complex. It`s my favorite version.

Chanel's Cuir de Russie. Sorry, I couldn't stand the vintage stuff - but the new formulation is very wearable and nothing like its former self!

Two reformulations I find better than their predecessors:
    Erolfa
    No. 88

Off-Scenter

There are plenty of reformulations that I enjoy perfectly well, including the new Mitsouko parfum, the new Chanel Cuir de Russie, the new Le De, the new Givenchy III, the new Jardin du Nil, the new Parfum d'Habit, the new Bandit EdP, the new Iris Bleu Gris, and the new Monsieur Balmain, to name just a few. While I never new the "old" Visa, Baghari, or Futur, the new versions by Aurélien Guichard are marvelous compositions, no matter what relationship they bear to the originals.

Quote Originally Posted by Mar Azul View Post
    Have you ever enjoyed a reformulated fragrance equally or more than the old version?
    I was keen on buying a vintage Diorissimo. Finally I made it. It was a mayor disappointment. The vintage stuff had by far to much hydroxycitronellal in it. This chemical is a basenote with tremendous tenacity. While unavoidable in huge doses in the top notes to resemble Lily Of The Valley it persists when all the other ingredients have completely vaporized. Then it is a single LOUD "note" of synthetic rasp in the palate. This vintage Diorissimo is just a failure, a 1 star fragrance or below. Unwearable because the perfumer sacrificed basic requirements to the needless resemblance to some "real" LOTV. This vintage juice is my personal "Secretions Magnifique", art going utterly and nauseating wrong.

Hydroxy is limited by recent regulations. The new formulation is great. At least in comparison.

Shalimar is as lovely as ever, as is L'Heure Bleue. I actually prefer the new LHB parfum to the vintage. Guerlain seems to have kept true to the originals with their reformulations, although I can't comment on Mitsouko.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

DK Fuel reformulation is virtually identical to my nose as the original.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Two reformulations I find better than their predecessors:
    Erolfa
    No. 88
    Erolfa was reformulated? When?

I have yet to smell vintage Rochas Femme, but I love the current version and will probably view them as two different fragrances even if/when I get my hands on the original.

I really enjoy all the current versions of Piguet fragrances. The only one I have smelled a vintage version of is Bandit, and while vintage Bandit is another beast entirely than the current version, it's still a respectful reformulation.

Other older, certainly reformulated fragrances that smell great in current versions; Youth Dew, Aramis, Eau Sauvage, Shalimar, Chanel N°5, Knowing, Fahrenheit.

I do love the new Shalimar just as much as the old formula. They are somewhat different and they are all great. Same with L'Heure Bleu.

I do like the re-formulated Rochas Femme (in EDP) more than the original version. The cumin adds that little extra to it which makes it really interesting.

Although I bemoan the reformulations of classics like Antaeus, Mitsouko, Chanel No 19 and Parfum de Peau, there are others I truly enjoy.

One example is the new Cuir de Russie (Chanel). It doesn't smell as much of smoky leather, but it's still full and rich. A beautiful adaption of the leather theme that is easier to wear and more sparkling, for lack of a better word. A new pair of luxurious leather gloves as opposed to an old, heavy, worn leather jacket.

Another is Kouros, which actually seems close to its old self, despite reformulations.

Chanel No 5 used to be softer, muskier, less aldehydic; beautiful. But guess what? I also love the cold, soapy aldehydic blast of the current formulation, as well as the amped up ylang-ylang.

Vol de Nuit is still wonderful in its current formulation.

And so on...
    Last edited by tott; 3rd October 2010 at 01:55 PM.