Code of Conduct

Default Choices/Recommendations for a Summer Signature Scent

I've been reading basenotes and the forums for a while but only recently started looking for my first cologne. I'm an 18 year old guy living in a place where it's summer all year round, and I've looked and tried a few different scents but need some help.

I'm looking for a cologne suitable for prom, as well as probably for evenings or dates out after that, in (very) warm weather.

I prefer something that doesn't smell synthetic or powdery, and I don't think I like very aquatic scents either. I would think I'd like something natural/woody but also rather fresh, as in not too old for my age. And hopefully I'll get something that isn't TOO popular, like Acqua di Gio.

So far I've narrowed down to the following, tried some of them but not all yet:

Armani Mania for Men
    Bvlgari Pour Homme - tried this on myself, but somehow it felt synthetic to me for the first 1-2 hours. not sure whether I'm right though. Also the scent only lasted 6 hours before there was not a trace left.
    Bvlgari Pour Homme Soir
    Bvlgari Aqua - tried it on a paper, and smells rather nice.
    Calvin Klein Euphoria / Intense
    Chanel Pour Monsieur - read some good reviews but is this too old for me?

I also tried Armani Code on myself after reading all the comments and it lasts much longer than Bvlgari PH, but I really dislike the scent. It was really strong powdery or vanilla-like, I think.. I guess it doesn't work well with me.

Any recommendations from the above list or similar ones?
    I'd also like to know the differences between Bvlgari PH/Soir/Aqua - like what climate and occassions are they suitable for.

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by quirrium; 27th September 2010 at 03:17 PM.

Default Re: Choices/Recommendations for a Summer Signature Scent

I really enjoyed CK Eternity Aqua this summer. My SO might have enjoyed it more than I did!

I would recommend Chanel Homme Blanche Edition. That will work well on most occasions and in the heat.

Both of those scents have good longevity for me too.

^^Excellent recommendation on the Chanel Homme Edition Blanche. You should definitely give it a good testing on skin the next time you're at the fragrance counter....I think it might be exactly what you're looking for, quirrium.

Another readily available bottle that you might consider is Zegan's Colonia. Might not be the longest lasting frag (nor the most respected on BN), but I like it in the warmer months.

And although you say you'd like to veer away from aquatics, Bvlgari Aqua is definitely within that genre. If you like it, you're in good company, because it seems to have quite a few fans here. Personally, I prefer Nautica Voyage, as well as it's flanker (heaven help me) Nautica Island Voyage. One of my Summer faves.

Chanel pour Monsieur definitely doesn't smell too old, in fact, I do know men in this age group wearing it

Mugler Cologne
    Aqua di Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti (and, in spite of its name, is far more woody-aromatic than aquatic)
    Paco Rabanne XS
    Declaration Bois Bleu

might be worth testing