Code of Conduct

Default Help needed, where do i go next?

Hi

I've been addicted to this hobby/obsession for just over 2 years now and with some help from BN reviews and lots of sampling have bought some wonderful stuff (aswell as amassing 3 shoe boxes full of samples!).
    BUT, i seem to have got to the point where i've tried everything in the department stores and usual outlets, puchased the ones i've liked and now i'm stuck (anyone else experienced this?).

I've tried and bought some niche fragrances i found in stores but it looks like i'm now going to have to go the sampling route through les senteurs, lucky scent, first in fragrance etc.

However, there are so many and at £3-4 a time + postage i was hoping i could get some help narrowing my possible choices.

I like to go for very distinctive smells that stand out from the crowd rather than the usual designer sporty type fragrances, some of my favourites being:-
    Encre Noire
    Issey Miyake Bleue
    C&S 88
    Creed SMW
    Knize Ten

Any suggestions/questions gratefully received.

Default Re: Help needed, where do i go next?

If you have reach "the end" of your fragrance journey, why not just have a field day with what you already got? There are always released a lots of new fragrances through the year, so I`m shure you will find more intresting stuff out there ;-)

I would consider picking just one of the niche houses you're not familiar with to start with and limiting yourself (if you can!) to one batch of 4 samples a month from them, ordered from somewhere like LuckyScent or Perfumed Court. That way you can spend a week or so with each sample, decide how it sets on you, and move to the next one. You'll have the benefit of variety, while still keeping costs (relatively) low if you order more than one sample at a time.

Based on the frags you mentioned, I would say that companies like MPG, Etat Libre d'Orange, and the rest of the Comme des Garcons line might be good places to start. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesD View Post
    I would consider picking just one of the niche houses you're not familiar with to start with
    Agree.

If I were you I would start swapping, e.g., on MUA. It's the cheapest way to sampling. That's how I accumulated my big stash of niche samples.

Alternatively, there are online stores where you can order samples for much less than at TPC and TPP for example. Their selections are smaller than that of the decant stores but you can find some nice things. Unfortunatelly I am only familiar with a few European ones (aafkes and celeste in the Netherlands, first in fragrance in Germany). First in Fragrance samples also cost around 3-4 EUR but at least they give you a decent size for your money.

If you are interested in Italian scents such as Bois 1920, Maria Amalia, Odori then give aafkes a try (you can always ask them if they are willing to ship overseas).

Some of the frags which might be worth considering to be tested might include:

Ungaro III
    Jaipur and Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron
    Knize Forest
    Rocabar by Hermes
    Very Valentino pour Homme by Valentino
    Opium Eau d'Orient by YSL
    Caron pour un homme

Based on the frags you mentioned, I would say that companies like MPG, Etat Libre d'Orange, and the rest of the Comme des Garcons line might be good places to start. Good luck!
    Cheers, MPG and ELd'O were two houses i have wanted to try but couldn't find in stores.

If I were you I would start swapping, e.g., on MUA. It's the cheapest way to sampling. That's how I accumulated my big stash of niche samples.
    I have at least 50 samples either i don't want or duplicated so MUA sounds like a great place to start .. thanks.

If I could make two suggestions:

1) Maybe the lack of focus is a problem - perhaps I read your post wrong, but it sounds like you have tons of fragrances you like, but probably a lot you could do without. Maybe you could set up a sort of "elimination tournament bracket" (like they do it sports, ex. college basketball March Madness) where you pit fragrances of the same ilk (ex. formal wear, vetivers, fragrance house, wahtever) in a head-to-head competition, where the winners "survive" in your collection and the also-rans get put into a "for sale" bin. You could bundle samples and sell them on a board like here for a reasonable price and sell them probably fairly quickly. Use those sales proceeds for my next idea

2) go to a site likePerfumed Court and purchase one "themed" sample pack at a time (ex. I remember looking a while back at one that had like 10 different Vanillas in it. You could do similarly by note for others, or by house, whatever).

This way you could really get into it - put a big posterboard on your wall, and at the end of every day mark your winner in it's bracket as you move to the "championship round". This could give you literally weeks of entertainment, plus it would have the benefit of really focusing you on what you truly like. Also, buying the sample packs by note, for example, might really refine your nose, and bring your expertise up!

Anyways, hope the idea wasn't too silly, but thought I'd throw it out there for you to do what you like with it. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply but I think you may have misread my post or i wasn't very clear? I have now bought all the fragrances on my wishlist after sampling upwards of 100 different reasonably easy to obtain scents. I am now very happy with my current wardrobe based on the testers and samples i've been able to try. Now i find myself in the situation where the only way forward is to try the more obscure fragrance houses, but there are so many and each one has a large array of scents its difficult to know where to begin, especially as sampling from now on is going to get expensive.

I will have a look at Perfumed Court as that sounds like a really good idea, thanks .... and maybe time to get rid of all those samples i was given that i never liked!

I think i may have just started to stray from the beginner class into the intermediate one and am having a crisis.
    (and art class to help me with the wallchart).

There's also Essenza Nobile based in Germany who ship samples. One of the best places for samples, other than people swapping on Basenotes is Crystal Flacon. You'll find many bargains on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Force of One View Post
    2) go to a site likePerfumed Court and purchase one "themed" sample pack at a time (ex. I remember looking a while back at one that had like 10 different Vanillas in it. You could do similarly by note for others, or by house, whatever).
    I agree with that idea, as TPC's themed sample packs usually have a couple of things you'd normally never think of trying. It's also a decent way to approach designers and houses, although LuckyScent may have better coverage on some houses.

Also, take some time to identify which notes and accords really work, or fail, for you. Some of the scents I've found I really enjoy are entirely different from what I was initially being exposed to in the stores, let alone what I thought I was looking for.