Code of Conduct

Default Choices for a summer evening formal/romantic scent

I'm an 18 year old guy living in a place where it's summer all year round, and I've looked and tried a few different scents but need some help.

I'm looking for a cologne suitable for prom, as well as probably for evenings or dates out after that, in (very) warm weather.

I prefer something that doesn't smell synthetic or powdery, and I don't think I like very aquatic scents either. I would think I'd like something natural/woody but also rather fresh, as in not too old for my age. And hopefully I'll get something that isn't TOO popular, like Acqua di Gio.

So far I've narrowed down to the following, tried some of them but not all yet:

Armani Mania for Men

Bvlgari Pour Homme - tried this on myself, but somehow it felt synthetic to me for the first 1-2 hours. not sure whether I'm right though. But it did become much better hours later, though that was when there was barely a trace of the smell left.
    Bvlgari Pour Homme Soir
    Bvlgari Aqua - tried it on a paper, and smells rather nice.
    Calvin Klein Euphoria / Intense
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    - read some good reviews but is this too old for me?

I also tried Armani Code on myself after reading all the comments and it lasts much longer than Bvlgari PH, but I really dislike the scent. It was really strong powdery or vanilla-like, I think.. I guess it doesn't work well with me.

Any recommendations from the above list or similar ones?
    I'd also like to know the differences between Bvlgari PH/Soir/Aqua - like what climate and occassions are they suitable for.

Thanks a lot!

Default Re: Choices for a summer evening formal/romantic scent

Hey guy, from your list, Bvlgari Pour Homme Soir sounds good, personally though, for that kind of occasion, i would go with a rose based frag. I know roses aren't every man's treat and if you don't like roses, then ignore this, but for a formal, warm weather romantic scent, I personally never go wrong with a rose scent.

Hope you find what your looking for buddy!

As far as the Bulgari goes, I have a mini of Soir and some samples of Aqua. I see Aqua as kinda mature and suitable for daytime wear in warm weather. Also, Soir seems more like black tea. For something fresh and woody, I'd say maybe Kenneth Cole Black or Swiss Army Altitude are worth checking out. The original
    Tommy Bahama for men also has a rich cedar smell that may be something to your liking.

Chanel Pour Monsieur is a fine choice IMO.

Thanks for all your responses. (:

I will check out the suggestions soon and also the rest on the list that I haven't got to try yet.
    Any recommendations for rose-based scents though? I do quite like roses, but I'm not sure how it'll turn out on me.

I would consider the under-rated Burberry's The Beat

I would agree with BUlgari PH Soir....I remember when I first purchased it, it was done so on a recommendation that it was suitable for "romantic" wear. I'm a bit older, but I can see girls your age liking it.

I think Chanel PM is a great formal scent, but i would worry it would be too "old" for your age...

I'm going to throw out an off-the-wall suggestion that might be just my personal taste or not work with your financial situation (high school guy) but I personally like to wear dry, incense type scents in the heat. Maybe not work for everybody buy, maybe something like Tauer L'Air du desert Marocain - you might be able to pick up a sample of a samll decant from The Perfumed Court or something that you could test out and get a few wearing out of (including your prom).

I just tried Bvlgari PH Soir.. It smells pleasant and sweet on me but I'm not sure if it'll be too sweet or cloying. Can't really stand smelling it too long even though it's just one spray on my wrist, maybe I'm smelling it too close though.

Also tried Boss by Hugo Boss (or is it called Boss Bottled?). It's rather fresh and green. Any comments about this one and how does it compare to Bvlgari in terms of sophistication or suitability or occassion?

My favorite designer rose fragrance is still Stella by Stella McCartney. It's a rather transparent rose fragrance that is neither too sweet nor too floral, which makes it very wearable on a guy, and since it's an EDP, it lasts pretty well too.

If you have the dough, you can also try Rose Ikebana from the Hermes exclusive line or Rose Poivree from The Different Company.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    I would consider the under-rated Burberry's The Beat
    Agreed. Also check out Burberry Touch.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Chanel Pour Monsieur is a fine choice IMO.
    +1.

The thing with Chanel Pour Monsieur is that it has no staying power.

If you are looking for a summer evening formal/romantic scent then Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma would be a better choice.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...