Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fake Angel Men Pure Malt? Ugh...

Ordered online and got the package today. Opened it to find a tape on the superior part of the plastic wrapping of the box. It also has a RETURN LABEL from Macy*s on the side. Suspicious, I proceed to open and the cartons inside the box have a look that someone opened and tried to close the box before. I take out the flask and there are scratches on the back and on the top of the rubber flask.

I sent a very angry email back to costumer service.

The serial number on the bottom of the bottle doesnt match with any other number on the outside & inside of the box.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Fake Angel Men Pure Malt? Ugh...

Its not fake, its just not new. bought it on Fragrancenet right?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, sorry I forgot to mention that. How did you know?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

cause you arent the only one with this issue. http://www.basenotes.net/threads/257...ure-Malt/page5

Nordstrom has new ones only. Fragrance.net has old ones and some unopened ones, but apparently its luck of the draw with buying from them

yeah it's clearly not new, tester or repackaged. No big deal if the juice smells right, unless it's missing some of the juice.

Post Thanks / Like

got mine from fragrancenet as well. i got two of them. one of them was unopened but the serial number did match the box. kind of strange though because my serial number is the same as urs 903118. just checked my other bottle has the same number as well and that one was not opened. serial # is at the bottom of the box. you can always input the code found in the box at mugler's website to see if its authentic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Start20 View Post
    Yes, sorry I forgot to mention that. How did you know?
    You wanted a bargain price and you got it. If the juice is okay, move on. Take the money you saved, buy some cerveza, invite some women over, spritz up with Pure Malt and party.

If you want a pristine virgin bottle unwrapped and untouched by human hands, go into a brick and mortar store where you can see what you're getting and pay $70 instead of $58. Or buy it online from Nordstrom. They won't screw around like that. Frangrancenet is usually pretty good, but the people getting opened Pure Malt packages has been interesting.

When you first pumped the spritzer, did it shoot out right away? Or did you have to depress it 3-4 times?
    Last edited by StylinLA; 26th September 2010 at 05:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I got the same thing from fragrance net as well. Opened and scuffed up and same serial number as yours too, 903118. I used my "unique code" at Thierry Mugler.com so I assume that means it's legit?

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, I have enough money to afford much of what I want- certainly in the fragrance world. NOT everything. But most things.

The question I have is this: If you are all so worried about getting ripped off and getting fake juice, isn't it worth it to spend $12 more to be able to sleep peacefully knowing you have 100% authentic Thiery Mugler Pure Malt? It's $12! When I was 18, I made $3.05/hour. I would have spent the extra $12 if it was going to drive me nuts. It's $12- it's not like you're saving $100 on buying a Creed from Walgreens. $12- is that like three less beers a week in a bar?

And quite moaning about "old" stock. The stuff has only been around one year. The oldest bottle in existence is a year old or less (I think it came out last Christmas). No one is really sure if this is new created juice, or just selling off the unsold stock from last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I for one like to hear the experiences people have had with online stores so I can get an idea who is reliable. I also try to save as much money even if it's only 15-20 bucks, it adds up. Sometimes we have to put trust on the online vendors that they mean what they say, like 100% authentic so it's understandable if that trust is broken that there will be some frusteration. If your not happy I'm sure fragrancenet will work something out

I have had 95% of the time postive experience but more likely its a bottle kept in bad conditions or exposed to heat , so it smells fake when it isnt.

oh guys testers 99% are real and actually have excellent juice .

Post Thanks / Like

Fragrancenet makes it clear when ur buying a tester or not so if u get a tester when u ordered a new one then there was a mistake. Fragrancenet will correct the problem, at least they have done so with me
    Last edited by Akalucas; 26th September 2010 at 07:54 AM.

I'm 100% in agreement with StylinLA on this one, especially after reading many of the nightmare comments on this same issue from other threads. I usually buy my frags from whoever I think I can trust that has the best price, but there are a few exceptions. This was one of them. It was totally worth the extra few dollars for me to go to Nordstroms and get a brand new bottle that I could easily return if there were any problems as this was basically a blind buy for me (I got a sample and purchased my bottle at the same time since everybody seemed to be selling out so quickly - so I had not tried it before buying).
    You live and learn I guess. It sounds like Fragrancenet has left a bad taste in a lot of loyal customer's mouths. Shame on them.

Post Thanks / Like

its not a tester, testers have a label on the back of the bottle. its a gold label with writing on it

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think bootleggers have already cranked out bottles of this, being that this fragrance hasn't been around that long????

Post Thanks / Like

There's a big thread about the re-release elsewhere on the forum you should check out including info on serial numbers, and being this looks like last year's juice based on the packaging and serial number code, you should be happy with it if it smells good to you. Because the new 're-released' ones smell quite different to some folks, myself included. Some like the 2010 re-release BETTER than last years, and some think it WORSE. I am part of the latter group and am in the process of buying extra bottles of last year's stuff, and I don't care if it comes wrapped in an old newspaper.

Post Thanks / Like

When I sprayed, the juice spritzed out right away and I could tell the previous owner used a small amount of the fragrance.

I couldn't care less about the money as it is simply not an issue for me. I didn't order it from fragrancenet.com to save money, I ordered it because there isn't a Nordstrom where I live. What matters to me is their sketchy business. Saying they sell 100% original & new fragrances and then getting THAT. Its not honest, and honesty to me is not based on a price. From a practical point of view it is only logical to just spend an extra buck to reassure yourself you're getting the real thing, as I guess there is no such thing as a free lunch. But in my case I just have to rely on their shady business and just cross my fingers.

And anyways, if the business says they sell real stuff at a good price, a costumer should expect nothing less.

Post Thanks / Like

When I sprayed, the juice spritzed out right away and I could tell the previous owner used a small amount of the fragrance.

I couldn't care less about the money as it is simply not an issue for me. I didn't order it from fragrancenet to save money, I ordered it because there isn't a Nordstrom where I live. What matters to me is their sketchy business. Saying they sell 100% original & new fragrances and then getting THAT. Its not honest, and honesty to me is not based on a price. From a practical point of view it is only logical to just spend an extra buck to reassure yourself you're getting the real thing, as I guess there is no such thing as a free lunch. But in my case I just have to rely on their shady business and just cross my fingers.

And anyways, if the business says they sell real stuff at a good price, a costumer should expect nothing less.

Post Thanks / Like

double post

Post Thanks / Like

Dude look - if you don't like that much, just take it back to Macy's and return it.

Post Thanks / Like

I think what some people are concerned and upset about was the misrepresentation from fragrancenet of what you were getting. They represented themselves as selling new bottles, when some of what they were selling were, at least my bottle was, very much used and in questionable condition (lots of noticeable condensation on the glass). If they had noted on their site that bottles were not guaranteed to be unopened and new, I would have absolutely spent the extra 12 or so dollars at Nordstrom.

Not to mention, Nordstrom themselves were giving out very misleading information as to what stores would have PM and when. I spoke to a store associate at the nearest store to me who said they'd be getting it on X date, which turned out to be untrue. I then spoke with an online customer service rep who said stores in Massachusetts would not be receiving it at all. Turns out two days later (after I ordered from FN) it was online and in the store nearest to me. I also tried ordering through the TM website, but ran into problems because their site was royally screwed up and didn't accept my order but charged me both times I attempted to place it, so I had to call my bank and have them manually remove the charges. It was at this point that I saw it on FN and said screw it, I knew their reputation on here was pretty good, they represented their bottles as new, could save some money out of it, and made the purchase.

But to the OP, your bottle seems to be legit. My concern if I were you would be is the bottle full, and in what condition is the juice. Bend open the rubber around the star a bit and check to see if there's condensation on the bottle, mine was full of it.
    Last edited by fitch256; 26th September 2010 at 10:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sad how some people don't expect the absolute best product when they spend any amount of money regardless of whether or not it was a bargain.

If it makes you feel any better, I just paid full price at Nordstrom for a brand new bottle of PM and the rubber flask basically looks like yours. I don't know if the bottles move around in the boxes when shipped or what, but I've never had any of my other Mugler rubber flasks come straight out of the box like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Both of my brand new factory wrapped bottles of Pure Coffee and Pure Malt (purchased at Macy retail counter) came out of the box with faint scratches and some kind of manufacturing "dust" all over the bottles. Both my Pure Coffee and Pure Malt looked EXACTLY like your pictures when I took them out of the boxes. I wiped the bottles down with Windex and a cloth and they then looked brand new. TM's rubber flasks CAN and WILL have faint scratches and some sort of light colored dust on them. Just wipe them down and the scratches should actually disappear for the most part. No big deal. Your bottle is authentic and these scratches actually happened during the manufacturing process, and not by a previous owner. These bottles aren't refillable, and I highly doubt that Thierry Mugler refilled and resold previously used empty bottles of Pure Malt.

Now, it's possible that Macy's or FragranceNet previously opened and sprayed your bottle. You didn't upload a picture of the clear star on the front of the bottle. How full is the bottle? If 99% ~ 100%, move on and stop worrying about it.
    Last edited by Shaheen; 28th September 2010 at 04:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by archelon View Post
    its not a tester, testers have a label on the back of the bottle. its a gold label with writing on it
    This is true cause I have a tester and a retail bottle. Testers have gold writting with information ont he back.
    My Youtube Review Channel: www.youtube.com/cutlasssupremesl