Code of Conduct

Default Opus 1870 (A picture paints a thousand words)

Dear Group, I'm very new to the whole cologne thing, in fact i don't think i've worn any since the 70's, so, aiming to correct that mistake, over the last couple of weeks i've been collecting some little samples.
    Some i like, some i don't. I read all the reviews here and i'm afraid to say that i haven't the experience to detect all the various individual smells, so instead i let the fragrance "paint a picture" for me.

I have 2 favourites so far. Azzaro takes me back to a Saturday morning in the 70's, having a hair cut in the barbers and then maybe going for a pint in the pub, all very blokish if you know what i mean.

But my favourite by a long way is Penhaligon's Opus 1870. Now don't laugh at my poor attempt but here's what i can see. An old woodwork shop lol, the old boy has one of those leather aprons, i can also smell a hint of tobacco and something that reminds me of wood oil. I know it sounds mad, but i find it totaly delicious lol.

Are there any other fragrances out there which would take me to a similar place dear group, i love the Opus1870, but it's a tad expensive.

Thanks very much

Default Re: Opus 1870 (A picture paints a thousand words)

I enjoy Opus 1870 as well. I have not found anything quite like it, actually.

I think Opus 1870 is one of the most sophisticated and elaborate fragrances with perfect everyday wearability

Quite a few fragrances evoke memories or feelings for me. Another Penhaligon's fragrance, Douro gives me that barbershop vibe. Many soapy frags make me feel like I just stepped out of the shower. Yatagan, Opium edp, Sables, and other sweet or spicy frags make me think of autumn. The evocative qualities of fragrances are definitely part of the appeal of this hobby.

I like the peppery scent it gives out. I wish it were a bit stronger or more intense. It feels like I have to spray more than usual to get a nice projection/sillage around myself. Otherwise its great.

Have you tried "Bang"by marc Jacobs? It has the same pepper to it.