Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Diptyque extraits: L' Ombre dans L'Eau and Philosykos

I just found out about these being released - where the hell was I when this was announced?

I loved the green, thorny rose in L' Ombre dans L'Eau but I found the overall fragrance a bit too screechy in the EdT formula (it felt like I was wearing a room scent, not a fragrance) but I'm wondering if the extrait might wear a bit differently.

Anyone smell either of these (is Diptyque making samples or testers available for these)? What is the price (they are not listed on the Diptyque website)?

Default Re: Diptyque extraits: L' Ombre dans L'Eau and Philosykos

|edit|

Nevermind.
    Last edited by Smeghead; 28th September 2010 at 05:02 PM.

Thats for the EDT . Mike the extraits were mentioned in the SF meetup thread that happened at the weekend

The solids are 33 euros at Skins here in Amsterdam. They have Eau Duelle, Do Son and Philosykos.

Oh, the extraits are a separate concentration/line? Well I feel dumb :<

OMG I lobe L'OdL... Gotta check this out at the Dyp boutique. Marvelous news.

Weren`t this extraits the two limited editions showed at nst that costed a high value?

I found Do Son a little watery and vapid; I'll be intrigued by a concentrated version; see if they've tweaked it for the better.

The extraits are limited to the two Mike mentioned (although I suppose others might follow). They are absurdly expensive, because they are only provided in a (striking) limited-edition crystal flaçon. IIRC a purchase would set you back more than $900!
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Basenotes Institution

$900 each PaulSC? That sounds rather greedy and absurd, don't you think?

((sigh))

Outrageously priced, limited editions in crystal flaçons are getting mighty commonplace these days.

ahhhhh! Forget it.

Basenotes Institution

OK, I found the picture and description on Now Smell This, that rickbr mentioned above:

From Diptyque, concentrated versions of Philosykos or L’Ombre dans L’Eau in a limited edition hand-crafted 100 ml bottle from the Cristallerie Saint-Louis: “The union of specific expertise in filigree and a contemporary design, created by the young designer FX Balléry, has given birth to an elegantly simple bottle with an apothecary feel.” Packaged in a black lacquered wood box with silver funnel and a 200 ml glass refill. Due to launch in October, 350 units produced, £795. (via press release)

So basically, this is up there with the $800 Encre Noire EdP in the Lalique crystal bottle and L' Abeille by Guerlain in the $17,000 bee bottle = out of my price range.

WTH!?

It looks like an old milk bottle , wouldnt give you a fiver for it

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

The price they quoted to us on the Basenotes Meet-Up last Saturday for crystal bottle, funnel, and juice was $925 US, and they gave us November 1 as the U. S. release date. Philosykos and L'Ombre dans l'Eau are the scents. They both smelled incredibly fine, and recognizable, but different from the EdT versions. They should, at that price!

Note: I edited this because when I checked, I saw that the price they're asking is $925, not $950, as I had posted earlier...
    Last edited by JaimeB; 29th September 2010 at 06:15 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Blog Entries

It's odd - that picture of the crystal flacon is photoshopped. It's got those diagonal lines spiraling around the whole thing, so it get's a rather mesmerizing 3d effect in person that would just look like diamond shapes in a photo.

At least it's 100 ml of extrait. Not that this justifies it, but it's easy to spend over $100 on 10 or 15 ml of pure parfum. Mathematically, it's not THAT out-of-line...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

wouldn't be surprised to see them repackage it in a subsequent, slightly delayed roll out in less expensive bottle/
    "container"; ergo, less $ all the way round. By Killian does this, so has Bond with their Harrods Aoud releases, and the Diff Co. with their 200ml alumn bottles ... I suspect the same juice more popularly priced might just be a number of months away after the Christmas splash of the initial release. then again, maybe not.

Blog Entries

That's what I was thinking, too. A smaller extrait in a regular bottle for $200-$250 wouldn't be a surprize if we waited a while.

I'm not sure about Philosykos, but I know there are some folks here who would probably shell out that much for a Tam Dao extrait if they decided to release that one and they made it at a slightly more reasonable price...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Yeah, this was highlighted in the SF meetup. I bet the Bulgarian rose would have a little more heft in the L'Ombre dans L'Eau extrait. Either way I'm perfectly happy with the EDT so this would be one of those I might acquire as a sample only.

Basenotes Institution

Anyone else smell these recently?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

From what i understand, it's 100ml in the crystal bottle + 200ml in the refil for about 1000 dollars?

So 1oz would cost about 100usd. Some splitters around here??
    Would love philosykos in parfum form.

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    From what i understand, it's 100ml in the crystal bottle + 200ml in the refil for about 1000 dollars?

So 1oz would cost about 100usd. Some splitters around here??
    Would love philosykos in parfum form.
    There may not be any need:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/diptyque...6-001517B1882A

WTF, 20ml of oil for 55usd?
    This oil is pure parfum?

Argh, i hate rollons!

Basenotes Institution

Ah I saw those rollerball pen-looking things at my local Bloomingdales, I didn't even think to look at them to see if they were the perfume version of the scent. Thanks for posting that Trebor.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Treb, those roll-on versions are a slightly lower concentration than the pure perfumes. I've tested both and they smell exactly alike, however the pure perfume lasted a "bit" longer. They are very true to the EDT but the pure perfume is not worth the price. I'm thinking on getting the roll-on Philosykos though.

scent, please can you compare the EDT x Rollon of Phylosykos?
    Thanks my friend

scent, please can you compare the EDT x Rollon of Phylosykos?
    Thanks my friend
    Daniel the smell is pretty much the same. You could argue the roll on is creamier because it is oil based after all and doesn't have that alcoholic opening of the EDT, but there really isn't much of a difference. I know for a fact that low-sillage of the roll-on would not please you. You did state once that you wanted to radiate 10 meters for 12 hours LOL!

AWWW forget the rollons. I do hate to apply it too, btw.
    Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    It looks like an old milk bottle , wouldnt give you a fiver for it
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    Treb, those roll-on versions are a slightly lower concentration than the pure perfumes. I've tested both and they smell exactly alike, however the pure perfume lasted a "bit" longer. They are very true to the EDT but the pure perfume is not worth the price. I'm thinking on getting the roll-on Philosykos though.
    Thanks for the confirmation - the thought had crossed my mind but wouldn't have believed they'd go through all the trouble of developing two different concentrations. And, yeah, the roll-ons didn't impress me much.

AWWW forget the rollons. I do hate to apply it too, btw.
    Thanks for the info
    You're more than welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation - the thought had crossed my mind but wouldn't have believed they'd go through all the trouble of developing two different concentrations. And, yeah, the roll-ons didn't impress me much.
    The SA at the Bond Street boutique confirmed this too. I thought it was odd that they would go through the extra trouble for 2 diff formulations too.

Bump! It seems that not all of the roll-on versions for the EDTs are available everywhere.
    I wish all Diptyque's perfumes came also in a handy 20 ml roll-on. The price and quantity are just perfect.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Personally I think that this will be the lated bandwagon for fragrance houses to jump on - extraits. That being said, these could be worth perusing.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I thought I'd clarify that the size of the Diptyque roll-ons is 7.5ml, not 20ml (0.67 oz) as stated on Nordstrom's website. So the price of their roll-ons is $55 for 7.5ml - not as good $/ml.

For some reason, Nordstrom messes up its sizing sometimes. I bought a travel atomizer that was listed as "0.5 oz" but was in fact 5ml. Be wary of sizes on Nordstrom's site.

I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts in terms of longevity and projection for these roll-ons. Is longevity noticeably better and is projection decidedly worse than the EDTs'?