Code of Conduct

Default Scent for my daughter, turning 13 next month...

Hello ladies,

I found one previous thread on this topic, for Offscenter's 11 year-old daughter, but mine will be thirteen soon, so I thought it might be worth asking afresh.

However, she is a) not going to be smelling like a girl beyond her years, and b) wearing anything her mother will disapprove of. I should say that her mum has happily worn Chanel No 5 herself, but still, I am looking to earn brownie points here.

Originally, I thought I'd just pass on some samplers I'd tried, like Carnal Flower, 24 Faubourg, Kelly Caleche, so she could try a few different smells. But it's since occurred to me she might benefit from being a little older before trying some of those.

I'm now thinking Miss Dior Cherie, for example.

Simple. Uncomplicated. Chaste.

I'm not so much looking for a load of different ideas, rather just some reassurance that this would be a good first scent to make her feel sufficiently grown-up and sophisticated (she is mature and independent for her age) on her thirteenth birthday.
    Measure twice. Cut once.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Scent for my daughter, turning 13 next month...

I would suggest Anais Anais by Cacharel, which would be appropreate for a thirteen year old. Later in the teens she can graduate to other scents. Anais Anais is very pleasant and IMO a young yet sophisticated fragrance.

Petal by Cynthia Rowley
    Petal is a fragrance for girls, made as a pair to the recently introduced Flower perfume. These two fragrances are created for mother and daughter. Frank Voelkl and Richard Herpin are the noses behind Petal, which is full of flower essences. This innocent and green floral scent is bathed in notes of lily of the valley. The bottle has the same shape as the Flower perfume, made of glass; romantic, youthful and pink.
    (Description is taken from Fragrantica )
    My first daughter is turning thirteen next April!She likes this one
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    I'm now thinking Miss Dior Cherie, for example.
    Funny enough, I was going to suggest this one!

Blog Entries

Le Grand Duc; Recommending a Dior fragrance. I would never have guessed.(LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Funny enough, I was going to suggest this one!

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Le Grand Duc; Recommending a Dior fragrance. I would never have guessed.(LOL)
    LOL, and a very teen friendly one at that!
    Miss Dior Chérie is aimed at the very young
    ladies!

I think Miss Dior Cherie would be a good choice, and Anais Anais is another good suggestion. For my part I think Nina by Nina Ricci is a lovely scent for a young girl. It's a sweet fruity floral with just a hint of sharpness to it to make it a bit more interesting and sophisticated. Great bottle as well.

I should perhaps point out that Nina Ricci scents were the first 'proper' fragrances I fell in love with as a teen, so I'm probably biased!

Basenotes Plus

My daughter "just" celebrated her 13th birthday a few days ago.

So I asked her what she would suggest: Harajuku Lovers Wicked Style Limited Edition "G" (notes of green apple, watermellon, raspberry) & Tous in Heaven Her (It has top notes of green apple and pineapple, heart notes of red fruits, tiare, white peony, and a base of white musk).
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I'm going to suggest one of the Benefit fragrances being sold at Sephora: Lookin' To Rock Rita, a very nice fig + coconut fragrance that is not unlike Premier Figuier.

Not too expensive, either-- the youthful and attractive 1 oz. bottle is $36.

Top Notes
    Lemon, Coconut, Freesia.
    Middle Notes
    Juicy fig, Hyacinth, Violet.
    Base Notes
    Sandalwood, Rosewood, Vanilla.

The other fragrances are listed here:
    http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancedi.../?house=100090

My own daughter is 14 and likes to wear Emma by Aerie (America Eagle). It is being discontinued, however.

Basenotes Plus

The packaging may be tacky but the eponymous Juicy Couture is a superb rendition of a youthful tuberose. Definitely worth a try.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Have Her check out the Ralph scents by Ralph Lauren also.....Gary

I think your idea of Miss Dior Cherie is perfect! It's sweet and pretty and youthful, but it's not for little girls - it's actually very well-crafted and many seasoned perfumistas right here on Basenotes enjoy it. Plus, it's Dior so it should make her feel very sophisticated and ladylike.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

It came to my mind:

Princess - Vera Wang
    Delices - Cartier
    In Black - Jesus Del Pozo

Wow! Thanks so much for all the replies. All in a few hours too - I feel a bit overwhelmed!

Right, I think I am definitely going to give Miss Dior Cherie and Anais Anais a good sniff. I will probably go for something mainstream, because I want her to recognise what she gets and enhance my brownie-pointage. Niche stuff can wait until she's older.

I will look into all suggestions, however, and keep this thread saved for future reference (and birthdays).

Thanks again for all the replies, I'm really touched. She lives with her mum in Australia, you see, so it's really a big deal for me to get presents right.

If I went for Miss Dior, any opinions on EDP over EDT? EDP too much??
    Last edited by Pamplemousse; 28th September 2010 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Addition
    Measure twice. Cut once.

Wow! Thanks so much for all the replies. All in a few hours too - I feel a bit overwhelmed!
    That's basenotes for you!

Please, make no mistake, you need Miss Dior Chérie,
    the classic Miss Dior is NOT teen friendly!

I'd say the EdP is better ... but, then again, the EdT could do, too.

Miss Dior Chérie L'Eau would also be a good choise!

I would go with the edt just in case she has the tendency to apply lavishly, but you know her best. If you think she'd respect the greater potency of the edp then it would be a very nice choice.

Either way, I'm sure she'll love it. Please let us know how it goes!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Why not have a girly mum and daughter day out. Give her a lunch and perfume voucher and then she can spend the afternoon with you trying testers and finding something that she likes. Perfume is so personal, even at a young age. I did something similar with my 14 year old this year and plan to make it an annual occurance.

I gave Miss Dior Cherie to my niece when she was 13 and she LOVED it. Other hits with her since (she's 16 now) have been Daisy, Feerie and Vanille-Abricot.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Please, make no mistake, you need Miss Dior Chérie,
    the classic Miss Dior is NOT teen friendly!

I'd say the EdP is better ... but, then again, the EdT could do, too.
    Don't worry, I've got Chérie firmly fixed in my mind; I'd be a dead man otherwise.

Assuming she'll overapply, I'll aim for the EDT, but will try both.

Her birthday is October 31st. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!
    Measure twice. Cut once.

Quote Originally Posted by blondex199667 View Post
    Feerie
    This would be my suggestion. The bottle alone is a winner.

What first came to mind was J'adore,but Miss Dior Cherie is also a good suggestion.

Basenotes Plus

Totally agree with the suggestion of Miss Dior Cherie by Christian Dior, it would be my first choice. Another excellent one for someone that age would be Petite Cherie by Annick Goutal.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorag View Post
    This would be my suggestion. The bottle alone is a winner.
    Feerie would be nice on a teenagers drawer. And the scent it`s a well made fruity musk thing.
    If you don`t find it at an affordable price at stores, i have bought one at fragrancenet for just 55 dolars.

Thank you everyone once again for all your kind comments and suggestions. This thread is definitely going in the keep net.

Out of interest, I wonder how different recommendations would be were she turning 16??
    Measure twice. Cut once.

Love Chloe is beautiful .

Out of interest, I wonder how different recommendations would be were she turning 16??
    Hypnotic Poison (Eau Sensuelle)
    Pure Poison
    Angel by Thierry Mugler
    L'Instant Magic de Guerlain
    Hot Couture de Givenchy
    Chanel Chance
    Gucci Guilty

... to name but a few!

Basenotes Institution

Jo Malone- Honeysuckle and Jasmine, Vanille & Anise.
    Penhaligon's Bluebell .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Pamplemousse, I'm going to agree with you and everyone else who has said Miss Dior Cherie is perfect for 13. For 16, how about introducing Chanel No. 5, or No. 22?

A second for Juicy Couture.

Also, get her into Guerlain with this--made for young women:

http://www.fragrancenet.com/colors-o...wf/en_US/09154
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

At 16 I wanted my daughter to have her own perfume and she wanted Black Cashmere by Donna Karen. I was surprised, but she only had my samples to learn anything about perfume, so she chose that one! Now if she'd only wear it...

I'd give her some samples to try. Maybe she would even like Tea for two by Artistian. Young girls like clean spice too. Just a thought.
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

Tommy Girl. Big hit with teenagers when it came out.

I agree with Eliza. A 16 year old is likely to have some strong preferences, but their preferences are also liable to change radically over a short space of time. Samples are the way to go, or else buy small bottles (30ml or less).

I will now go and contradict all that by saying that worth trying, IMHO, would be Coco Mademoiselle, Chance Eau Tendre or Daisy.

Smile Re: Scent for my daughter, turning 13 next month...

Yes, Anais Anais is a very good choice for a young lady just starting to discover fragrance. It is very feminine. I would also suggest Jessica McClintock's signature scent. This has strong notes of lily of the valley, but it is in the same class as Anais Anais. Good Luck!

I would also suggest Ralph by Ralph Lauren. This is very light.

For 16 I would suggest Chanel's Cristalle.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuria G View Post
    For 16 I would suggest Chanel's Cristalle.
    For real?! Hmm, I would not.
    I don't think many teens would like it!
    Too sharp, too green!

Yes, maybe too green at first, but not at its heart notes. As Devilcat said, teens have strong preferences that change overnight. And I don't like too-heavy smells on teens that make them beyond their years. To me Cristalle is sophisticated enough without being too invasive. I think that's something a teen may grow to like.

I loved guerlain insolence for a young girl. Beautiful, soft and respectable. Have a smell one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuria G View Post
    It's just, when I think of teen girls and frags,
    I think of sweet and heavy scents, you know
    like Britney and Paris' fragrances, or Miss Dior
    Chérie; Hypnotic Poison ... ect.

Cristalle is for grown ups, but hey, who am I
    to say teen will not like it?!
    To each his/her own ... I have Cristalle in my
    collection, but God knows that I'm no teen..!

Blue Waltz....Discreet, chaste and wonderfully sweet. The only fragrance I would recommend for 13-somethings....
    "It's not the scent that recalls the person; it's the person who recalls the scent"

Right, I think I am definitely going to give Miss Dior Cherie and Anais Anais a good sniff. I will probably go for something mainstream, because I want her to recognise what she gets and enhance my brownie-pointage. Niche stuff can wait until she's older.

I will look into all suggestions, however, and keep this thread saved for future reference (and birthdays).

Thanks again for all the replies, I'm really touched. She lives with her mum in Australia, you see, so it's really a big deal for me to get presents right.

Hello,

I have a 13 year old, who will be 14 in December, think about Daisy by Mark Jacobs, I think you'll see it could be perfect for your daughter, sweet and in a beautiful bottle

hope you get to try it
    Debbystars

Quote Originally Posted by bubby View Post
    Why not have a girly mum and daughter day out. Give her a lunch and perfume voucher and then she can spend the afternoon with you trying testers and finding something that she likes. Perfume is so personal, even at a young age. I did something similar with my 14 year old this year and plan to make it an annual occurance.
    I agree, everyone has their own idea of what 13yr should like and smell like, but they are individuals who have their own personality and preferences. Its better to encourage individual choice rather than impose what we think will suit them (within reason).
    I was surprised when I allowed my teen daughter to go wild in my collection and choose a few things she liked- she went straight for Coco EDP. I couldn't believe she went past the fruity florals and gourmands. After I decided Coco was a little too mature for her to wear daily, she settled for Lolita Lempicka.

Quote Originally Posted by The Anointed One View Post
    I was surprised when I allowed my teen daughter to go wild in my collection and choose a few things she liked- she went straight for Coco EDP.
    Wow, such a young lady with an exquisit taste already, I like her!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyfunny View Post
    Pamplemousse, I'm going to agree with you and everyone else who has said Miss Dior Cherie is perfect for 13
    Good. Bought Miss Dior Cherie EDP today.

May throw in a few samplers too. Kelly Caleche would be fine (it's candy-sweet, and I don't like it), but is Carnal Flower really considered, well, carnal? I have a Shalimar too, but that's a bit grown-up I think. And by that, I mean, mature woman, even though I know it is considered a classic. Really like the 24, Faubourg but, as Jilly Cooper's favourite smell, perhaps I'll save it.

Primrose, thanks for the Guerlain link - I will see if I can get a sample of that. I was at John Lewis today and spotted the Guerlain stand unattended. Quick squirt of Heritage and I was on my way. Heh.

Had also thought about Coco Mademoiselle, but will get around to trying all those mentioned I can get hold of, sooner or later.

Thanks again for all replies.

Oh, and to whoever (Grant?) put my original post on the home page!
    Measure twice. Cut once.

Hope your daughter has a great birthday! Let us know what she thinks of Miss Dior Cherie.

My 14 year old loves and owns:
    Miss Dior Cherie
    Marc Jacobs Daisy
    Comptoir Sud Pacifique Vanille Abricot
    CB I Hate Perfume Strawberry & Pineapple single accords (so gentle & mild, I love her in these! I've ordered Dandelion & Wild Violet accords for her as she liked the samples of those as well)
    Annick Goutal Petite Cherie
    L'Artisan Parfumeur Drole de Rose
    Clean Shower Fresh, Warm Cotton, Ultimate

I think she also liked one of the Juicy perfumes but I find their advertising/concept/name is just not something a 14 year old girl needs to embrace so I didn't encourage it. Tacky, and frankly they grow up soon enough.

I'm also thinking Cristalle is something she might appreciate when she is older. Anais Anais is a lot stronger than I recall and has been reformulated, it's not what it once was and I cannot imagine either of my girls liking it, but maybe sample first.

Smile Re: Scent for my daughter, turning 13 next month...

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    I would suggest Anais Anais by Cacharel, which would be appropreate for a thirteen year old. Later in the teens she can graduate to other scents. Anais Anais is very pleasant and IMO a young yet sophisticated fragrance.
    I wore Anais Anais as a young teen--it was a good fragrance for that age. Good suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by bubby View Post
    What a fab idea!!! What a nice experience for you and your daughter

I vote for Vera Wang Princess, they love the pretty bottle too! I got my grandaughter one and she just raves about it and she is thirteen going on 21!

At 13, she's still of the age where a girly bottle will be most appreciated. Feerie, Daisy, or MJ Lola all are age-appropriate scents with super cute bottles. Best of luck to you!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Tommy Girl is classy but age-appropriate and very easy to find.

I think miss Dior Cherie is a good choice.

I also would recommend Eau de Moiselle - Givenchy. I like it a lot, very nice and king.

Blog Entries

What about

Gucci Flora
    Britney Circus Fantasy
    Pink Sugar by Aquolina
    Harajuku Lovers G
    Tracy by Ellen Tracy
    Daisy by Marc Jacobs
    Clinique Happy

Lea by Calypso St. Barth.

I LOVE this. And it's almost impossible to overapply, which, I think, is probably good for 13 year olds. Or would have been for me, anyway.

Its kiiiiiiiiiind of like Pink Sugar but a lot more relaxed and warm. Whereas Pink Sugar is fluorescent and burny, it's sunny and almondy.

It's also not TOO sweet. More comforting than sugar rush.

Oh.. she is a lil angel.. herself has a fragrance.. she may like to have sweet cute lovely fragrance herself.. lil kids are very innocent with their smile.. no need any artificial fragrances..

Blog Entries

I am glad that finally someone mentions Flora by Gucci.

Others:
    L'air du temps by Nina Ricci
    Eau Premiere by Chanel
    Nuits de NoHo by Bond No. 9
    Light Blue by Dolce and Gabana
    Ninfeo Mio by Annick Goutal
    Je reviens by Worth

A thirteen year old will not use up a bottle so soon and then still have a good starter perfume at the age of 14.

Has anyone mentioned Miss Boucheron? A floral marketed to young women in a playful pink bottle with a green cap!

http://www.nstperfume.com/2007/05/24...grance-review/

You can buy this now on discount at Fragrancenet and get 15% off with BASENOTES as a discount code. The 1.6 oz goes for $33.19 but down lower you can add $2.00 and get the scented lotion, too.

http://www.fragrancenet.com/miss-bou...6?cur_letter=M
    Last edited by Primrose; 14th October 2010 at 04:25 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

DeepSilence

Several + Anais Anais
    Sculpture by Nikos
    Paco Rabanne XS(f)

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    My daughter "just" celebrated her 13th birthday a few days ago.

So I asked her what she would suggest: Harajuku Lovers Wicked Style Limited Edition "G" (notes of green apple, watermellon, raspberry) & Tous in Heaven Her (It has top notes of green apple and pineapple, heart notes of red fruits, tiare, white peony, and a base of white musk).
    I was actually going to say that when my daughter was thirteen she "had" to have one of the Harajuku Lovers perfumes for Christmas. They are not bad, definately marketed to the younger ladies, and come in the cool Japanese doll bottles. Dollars per ounce, they are pricey if you pay full retail, though.