Code of Conduct

Default Are there any fragrances that smell similar to authentic Indian tea?

I love Indian food, and I love Indian tea/chai. If you get it from an authentic good restaurant, it's truly one of the best drinks you'll ever have anywhere. I'm curious if anyone has any ideas on fragrances that smell similar to it. It's black tea, flavored with cardamom, ginger, cloves, cinnamon (and maybe a few other spices) with milk. The spices definitely shine nicely in the tea, but the drink is still very smooth and elegant. Also, don't kid yourselves...Indian Chai Tea, or Masala Tea, from Starbucks or from any supermarket tastes nothing like the authentic tea from restaurants, and from those who actually know how to prepare it.

I don't think that you can go with Tea for Two, or Gucci Pour Homme II. You'll lack the spices. The only thing that comes to mind for me is Eau Lente, by Diptyque.

Default Re: Are there any fragrances that smell similar to authentic Indian tea?

Palais Jamais seems to carry some cardamom along with its tea, but the rest of the scent is less smooth, so perhaps not. Eau Lente has the right spices, but there's not any tea note nor does the sweetness seem quite right. Probably as close as you'd get, though, yes.

Regards,
    T

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

Default Re: Are there any fragrances that smell similar to authentic Indian tea?

Have you ever smelled "Un Crime Exotique" from Parfumerie Generale? Smells just like Chai Tea!!!

Closest I can think of is Penhaligon's Love Potion #9 with notes of:
    Top notes are orange, mandarin orange, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are rosemary, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, pepper, geranium and cardamom; base notes are sandalwood, amber, woodsy notes, vetiver and resins.

It has a smooth, kind of milky texture, but I don't think it's going to be close enough to satisfy your desire. I'm curious to see if there's anything that's a really close match.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by Meechiefume View Post
    Have you ever smelled "Un Crime Exotique" from Parfumerie Generale? Smells just like Chai Tea!!!
    Ditto on Meechiefume opinion

There`s also tea for two from l'artisan...

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Closest I can think of is Penhaligon's Love Potion #9 with notes of:
    Top notes are orange, mandarin orange, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are rosemary, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, pepper, geranium and cardamom; base notes are sandalwood, amber, woodsy notes, vetiver and resins.

It has a smooth, kind of milky texture, but I don't think it's going to be close enough to satisfy your desire. I'm curious to see if there's anything that's a really close match.
    Which Love Potion, the masculine or the feminine one? The masculine one reminded me of Opium Pour Homme, but greener

I love good authentic Indian food. I've never had the tea in an Indian restaurant, but I will next time I go.

I think the scent that will be the closet to what you want is Comme des Garçons Jaisalmer. It's inspired by Indian incense, but there's a huge gourmand/spice component to it. Cardamom, cinnamon, clove, guiacwood (which can give tea/coffee like nuances), pepper, and a note that makes me think of steaming hot milk. Fantastic stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    I love Indian food, and I love Indian tea/chai. If you get it from an authentic good restaurant, it's truly one of the best drinks you'll ever have anywhere. I'm curious if anyone has any ideas on fragrances that smell similar to it. It's black tea, flavored with cardamom, ginger, cloves, cinnamon (and maybe a few other spices) with milk. The spices definitely shine nicely in the tea, but the drink is still very smooth and elegant. Also, don't kid yourselves...Indian Chai Tea, or Masala Tea, from Starbucks or from any supermarket tastes nothing like the authentic tea from restaurants, and from those who actually know how to prepare it.

I don't think that you can go with Tea for Two, or Gucci Pour Homme II. You'll lack the spices. The only thing that comes to mind for me is Eau Lente, by Diptyque.
    Tea For Two is strongly spicy on me. Never tried Eau Lente, but if it has this vibe i`ll probably like.

i havent come across anything tht similar.. however.. i would emphasize on the milky aspect of it and in a very strange way, the first scent tht crosses my mind is PG Cadjmere and the second, Montale Mukhallat....thye both dont have tea note.. but in a strange way it reminds me of chai..

Amouage Epic Woman might be worth a shot. Cinnamon, tea, vanilla, pepper. It's got a bit of a milky feel due to the orris and vanilla but still doesn't have the right balance of spices for what you are looking for. It's the closest thing I can think of though.

Actually, another scent that comes to mind is Azzaro Now Men. It's rather green though, but has tea and cardamom notes along with a somewhat milky feel due to a blonde suede note.

Both of these scents seem too green though. I wish I had a better suggestion.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Blog Entries

L'Artisan "Dzongkha"? I just know it has tea notes and middle eastern inspired spices in it. Not EXACTLY Indian, but I find middle eastern cuisine to share very similar usage of spices.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Amouage Epic Woman might be worth a shot. Cinnamon, tea, vanilla, pepper. It's got a bit of a milky feel due to the orris and vanilla but still doesn't have the right balance of spices for what you are looking for. It's the closest thing I can think of though.

Actually, another scent that comes to mind is Azzaro Now Men. It's rather green though, but has tea and cardamom notes along with a somewhat milky feel due to a blonde suede note.

Both of these scents seem too green though. I wish I had a better suggestion.
    I don't see anything that reminds me of exotic tea neither in amouage epic woman nor in azzaro now men too. If there is something milky on epic, is completely hide from me. I do get a big shot of dry spices at the opening, specially the pepper. Then it starts to develop to a thick agarwood note and finish in a incense base that reminded me of the base of nu edp.

Azzaro Now Men it's more green than milky and spicy i think. It has fresh, green vibe with a spicy cardamom. I do not get the suede. I also had to wear my entire sample to have 5 hours of modest sillage and longevity...

I received a bottle of EdP from Ava Luxe (ava-luxe.com) and it's name is The Noir, which I assume is black or dark tea. It is quite spicy and beautiful and layered with her "Milk" fragrance would probably be very close to what you're looking for. Hope this helps. Also, I didn't pick up a ginger vibe (like Tea for Two) only a black tea sweetened with cool spices and of course the unnamed notes which we all want to know about any fragrance.

Smell Cartier's Declaration or Bois Bleu and see what you think.

Comme des Garcons has a really dark black exotic tea scent in their leaves series.

Have you tried Five O'Clock au Gimgembre by Serge Lutens? Spicy tea, lots of ginger.

Jaipur, slightly. Indian barbershop lol, the cinnamon and all.

I've never seen so many ancient threads get drudged up than what's been happening recently

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    I've never seen so many ancient threads get drudged up than what's been happening recently
    Agreed

Aura for Men by Jacomo, and maybe Ambre Topkapi by MDCI
    (3208)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Agreed
    Totally agree. Easily a couple of times a day. This one's almost 4 years old for Pete's sake - Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Aura for Men by Jacomo, and maybe Ambre Topkapi by MDCI
    (3208)
    The cool thing about Ambre Topkapi that it actually contains Darjeeling tea extract. I should try this one out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetiver_Ind View Post
    The cool thing about Ambre Topkapi that it actually contains Darjeeling tea extract. I should try this one out.
    I think you might find it to your liking although the tea note might not be as strong as you might want it to be.

(3215)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

right now I am wearing cb I hate perfume Russian caravan tea on my r hand and I colonali te negro on my l hand...I did an initial test few days ago at the gym and my throughts on Russian caravan fragrance is that it dries down to a watery ice tea scent...very nice and light....the te negro was a little bit smokier and more dense and almost had a rubber note(which is what I smell when certain smoky notes are in high concentration in tea fragrances)...overall I enjoyed the Russian caravan better but my top is still GDG tea from the leaves series...I also really enjoyed heeley menthe fraiche even though it is not a black tea scent
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it