Code of Conduct

Thread: Lancome for Men

Default Lancome for Men

Greetings Friends

Has anyone tried the rarely discussed Lancome fragrances for men including Balafre, Sikkim, Programme, Sagamore and Trophee? I know some have been discontinued, but there still may be some who appreciate Lancome.

I have tried Sagamore and it is an excellent fragrance. The vintage version is better in my opinion because of a more pronounced sandalwood note in the base, but the reformulted version is also very nice.
    Last edited by Rosehavn; 29th September 2010 at 12:24 AM.
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Default Re: Lancome for Men

I have a bottle of Trophee, and I remember giving it a bad review. I have come to appreciate it however, and I wear it sparingly during the summer. I still have some 'understanding' to do if these older fragrances, because I still find most them too similar. It is the dilema I imagine a frag-head will be enduring in 20 years when fougeres and leather scents will be back in style and acquatics will be cherished and collected.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

AromiErotici

I have and wear Sagamore. It's an excellent Oriental Amber with terrific longevity. Spicy citrus, lavender, petitgrain, muguet, rose, geranium, ginger, cinnamon, benzoin, musk and patchouli are the notes.

I have the exact opposite problem than Andrew. The modern releases all smell generic and way too similar for my tastes. I do not have that problem with scents from yesteryear.

Haha! I'm still learning guys...no sandalwood in Sagamore! I still think it smells great!
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I have and wear Sagamore. It's an excellent Oriental Amber with terrific longevity. Spicy citrus, lavender, petitgrain, muguet, rose, geranium, ginger, cinnamon, benzoin, musk and patchouli are the notes.
    Aromi, are you sure Sagamore doesn't have sandalwood as a base note? These are the notes according to Fragrantica.com:

"Sagamore by Lancome is a chypre fragrance for men. Sagamore was launched in 1986. Top notes are lavender, clary sage, petit grain, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are carnation, ginger, cinnamon, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley, rose and geranium; base notes are sandalwood, amber, patchouli, musk, benzoin, vanilla and styrax. "
    Last edited by Rosehavn; 29th September 2010 at 04:19 AM.

AromiErotici

[QUOTE=Rosehavn;1944497][QUOTE=AromiErotici;1944486]I have and wear Sagamore. It's an excellent Oriental Amber with terrific longevity. Spicy citrus, lavender, petitgrain, muguet, rose, geranium, ginger, cinnamon, benzoin, musk and patchouli are the notes.

Aromi, are you sure Sagamore doesn't have sandalwood as a base note? These are the notes according to Fragrantica.com:

"Sagamore by Lancome is a chypre fragrance for men. Sagamore was launched in 1986. Top notes are lavender, clary sage, petit grain, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are carnation, ginger, cinnamon, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley, rose and geranium; base notes are sandalwood, amber, patchouli, musk, benzoin, vanilla and styrax. "
    There's Sandal in the base accord. Vanilla also in there as well. I simply listed the notes that are prominent ( to me).

The vintage Sagamore struck me as being very similar to Tiffany For Men in many respects, though I need to seriously re-sample it. Does anyone else find these two similar?

BTW - As Aromi probably knows, once sandalwood came up in the discussion I was "all ears" (or eyes)!

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    The vintage Sagamore struck me as being very similar to Tiffany For Men in many respects, though I need to seriously re-sample it. Does anyone else find these two similar?

BTW - As Aromi probably knows, once sandalwood came up in the discussion I was "all ears" (or eyes)!
    Hi Anthony ! I agree bro. The overall smell of the scent is a relative of Tiffany.

Hey Aromi I find Tiffany just a bit more refined, though, but sometimes I don't want refined!

Just so I'm not totally hijacking with a comparison to Tiffany for Men.. all of the other Lancome fragrances the OP mentioned are unfamiliar to me (aside from Sagamore and Trophee). They sound very interesting. I'm also of the opinion that there was a lot more variation in the scents of yesteryear where new designer stuff that is coming out all smells very similar or uninspired. Aramis and Habit Rouge both came out in the same year (1965)!

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Hi Anthony ! I agree bro. The overall smell of the scent is a relative of Tiffany.

Have the four men's of the above mentioned: Balafre, Original Sagamore, Programme , and Trophee. Love them all but my favorite is Balafre with Sagamore running a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Have the four men's of the above mentioned: Balafre, Original Sagamore, Programme , and Trophee. Love them all but my favorite is Balafre with Sagamore running a close second.
    Hednic, could you please tell us what these other fragrances are like? They are so rarely mentioned. Thanks!
    Last edited by Rosehavn; 29th September 2010 at 04:18 AM.

I prefer Lancome's vintage fragrances over the newer releases like Hypnose Homme and Miracle Homme.

I own the vintage version of Sagamore and recommend it highly. It is a wonderful fragrance. I agree that it is similar in general to frags such as Tiffany for Men and Chanel Concentree, yet there's something about it that also reminds me of a fougere like Aramis Tuscany. I haven't tried the reissue.

Others I recommend are O and O Pour Homme if you want a lighter, greener fragrance. I own both, but I think the original O is better and it is also easier to find.

I also own the vintage version of Sikkim, and love it! But like Sagamore, I haven't tried the new version. Sikkim is a strong, heady chypre with Oriental overtones. I wear it comfortably, and you might see if you are comfortable with it. But regardless of whether you wear it, it is worth owning because it is so complex and interesting.

Cuir de Lancome is also good, and wearable by men. I own the reissued version of this and suspect that it's less complex and weaker than the original. It is a soft, fruity, floral suede leather. It smells good but perhaps should last longer.

I'm not familiar with Balafre, Trophee, or Programme, but I'm still searching for bottles!

noggs

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I prefer Lancome's vintage fragrances over the newer releases like Hypnose Homme and Miracle Homme.

I own the vintage version of Sagamore and recommend it highly. It is a wonderful fragrance. I agree that it is similar in general to frags such as Tiffany for Men and Chanel Concentree, yet there's something about it that also reminds me of a fougere like Aramis Tuscany. I haven't tried the reissue.

Others I recommend are O and O Pour Homme if you want a lighter, greener fragrance. I own both, but I think the original O is better and it is also easier to find.

I also own the vintage version of Sikkim, and love it! But like Sagamore, I haven't tried the new version. Sikkim is a strong, heady chypre with Oriental overtones. I wear it comfortably, and you might see if you are comfortable with it. But regardless of whether you wear it, it is worth owning because it is so complex and interesting.

Cuir de Lancome is also good, and wearable by men. I own the reissued version of this and suspect that it's less complex and weaker than the original. It is a soft, fruity, floral suede leather. It smells good but perhaps should last longer.

I'm not familiar with Balafre, Trophee, or Programme, but I'm still searching for bottles!

noggs
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge about these seemingly rare fragrances.

I sampled once Balafre far back in awesome 80's but I didn't buy it.I was young and stupid.Olfactory pyramid is here -

Bergamot oil, Camomile, Cypress, Green Note, Lavender, Neroli,

Carnation, Cedarwood oil, Clary Sage oil, Fern, Geranium, Origanum, Pine Needle,

Amber, Leather, Musk, Oakmoss, Vetiver,