Code of Conduct

Thumbs up I finally purchased a bottle of Halston Man Amber -

To me this is so far the best launch of 2010 and nice to see that Halston Heritage is moving to put the name back into upscale with the products.

It also amazes me that a company like Elizabeth Arden can create such a scent when given the chance.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: I finally purchased a bottle of Halston Man Amber -

Please describe this one. I love the bottle.

Sur la Plage

I really like this one also. It's definitely better than most of the other new releases.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Any relation to the 2009 release, or are they completely different?

Neiman's ace SA (Andrew) sent me a sample of Man Amber Halston along with a few others, and I've worn Man Amber twice and I am getting acquainted with it. I hope its not just my "new fragrance blush" but to me this is one fantastic fragrance. I have some very good amber fragrance in my wardrobe - but I know I will buy a bottle of Man Amber - it is very good!

NOTES - Top: geranium leaves, province thyme and bergamot; Mid: pure amber, myrrh and labdanum; Base: oud wood, cedar atlas and musk

True to its name it is a masculine scent that smells primarily of amber, but amber turned darker than I've smelled in a while. The top notes blend in and go away on me, but a very noticeable smoke woods note drifts all through and around the red cedar/oud woods that elevates off the surface. The woods have impressive "hang time" all around the amber. It may be clever use of synthetics here that causes the liveliness of cedar and smoke but the combination of the sprightly woods with the low and slow amber is brilliant. The woods are a combination of oud + atlas cedar which yields that old fashioned red cedar closet type of cedar made with freshly split wood.

You can tell I like this one quite a bit. This is my favorite of the recent release of very nice wood + amber/vanilla fragrances that includes Givenchy Play Intense and D&G the One Gentleman. Halston Man Amber!

I wrote this in the other thread and will put it here. I'm wearing this today

I'm wearing this today because of the morning cool weather and I love it!!This is a great Fall scent and probably one of the best done scents I've smelled this year. The difference on skin vs card is the amber...go figure. The amber is present much more on the skin. The initial spray was that firecracker burning paper smell mixed with a creamy amber.. Then the incense(myrrh) creeps in and overall that is what I get. Basically if you made 3 piles of burning things below your feet and the smoke was wafting up to your nose it would be burning a medium pile of burning fireworks, a small amount of amber in the middle and a thing of incense sticks last. All of it comes up at the same time in varying degrees and it is wonderful.

I know the idea of the fireworks paper smell may not make sense but when I brought it up to the SA at Nieman's she said she got the same thing. I'm guessing the Amber, Labdanum and Myrrh and woods are giving me alot of this combo. As I said in the other thread I spent 3 weeks in another part of Houston for work, close to Nieman's and the Galleria. I visited there probably 7 times. I tried everything from Creed Aventus, to Bang, to Halston Amber to Ferragamo to all the Cartiers, etc. This was hands down one of the best done scents and one card I kept coming back to. She finally broke and made a sample. I actually had the card out to purchase it but the snobs ( ) only take American Express or Niemans....damn Visa....lol
    Last edited by ToughCool; 30th September 2010 at 04:00 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I am glad to read in both threads that everyone else is enjoying this fragrance. I am in agreement that it is one of the better launches this fall for men. What is interesting is that it is really not a scent for the masses it very refined and unique. This is a totally diffrent beast and has no fragrant connection to last years Halston Man.

N-M one of the last stores to only accept their card and Amex will take Visa / MasterCard / Discover on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    I am glad to read in both threads that everyone else is enjoying this fragrance. I am in agreement that it is one of the better launches this fall for men. What is interesting is that it is really not a scent for the masses it very refined and unique. This is a totally diffrent beast and has no fragrant connection to last years Halston Man.

N-M one of the last stores to only accept their card and Amex will take Visa / MasterCard / Discover on their website.
    I'll probably start with the small bottle and just use cash instead of online since I can get their easily. Though I'm back at my regular office.

I agree with your initial paragraph also. I kept coming back to the card because it isn't the usual fare. In fact I like the fact that it didn't cop out and dry down to a generic type scent. The amber is very well done. It creeps up.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I wanted to add that the longevity of this, on my skin, is off the charts. Last night at 3:45 am I was rocking my 16 mo old who had a fever. Maybe it was her body being so warm but I was still getting the amber/incense. I put it on at 6:45 the morning before...so 21 hours.
    --Ben Hogan

I just wanted to chime in here and say holy crap this is great juice.

ToughCool mentioned a "firecracker" note, and this is exactly right. Not sure where it comes from...maybe just the "zing" that comes from the light herbals and oud in there, mixed with a hint of incense. I don't really notice the exact supporting notes (thyme, geranium, oud), but there's definitely a little twist in there.

As it dries down, it gets woodier, but the wood never dominates or becomes the star - it just blends perfectly with and counterbalances the amber to keep the scent from cloying. This role is played by that cool firecracker note in the opening. I haven't spent a lot of time with it yet, so I can't pick it apart, but it's very, very good. I'm tempted to march right back to Nieman's right now and buy a bottle. This is the unique, dry amber I've been looking for.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 17th October 2010 at 04:53 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Sounds great. May be one of my Christmas presents...

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    How come this juice hasn't hit TJMAXX, yet?

All this talk makes me want to sample it too.
    Fixed your post
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Damn this stuff sounds right up my alley - and the beautiful bottle is a plus. Oh well, let me sell something from my collection so I can give this one a try!
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears." - Xerjoff Nio, Xerjoff 1861, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois EDP, Chanel Egoiste Platinum, Creed Green Irish Tweed, YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme, YSL Opium Pour Homme EDP, Comme des Garcons Kyoto, Acqua di Parma Oud, Slumberhouse Jeke, Xerjoff Fars and Xerjoff Gao

^^ Actually, I think Niemans and that genre of retailers are the only places you can find it right now. Kudos to Halston for upping the brand's cache.

Edit: I hope the scent gets the credit it deserves, despite it being "just" a Halston. Best release of 2010 IMO, above Bang, and I really like Bang.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 17th October 2010 at 04:20 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Looks like a trip to Bergdorf Goodman is in my future for a test sniff...

I don't think Halston Man and Halston Man Amber will hit TJMaxx or Marshalls soon - this is a limited distributed scent exclusive to Neimans/Bergdorf Goodman in the USA. I don't believe mass qualities were produced that would require resale in the gray market.

I will admit that EA Fragrances did put some good attention into the quality and presentation of these fragrances.

I don't think Halston Man and Halston Man Amber will hit TJMaxx or Marshalls soon - this is a limited distributed scent exclusive to Neimans/Bergdorf Goodman in the USA...
    Well, that stinks !

I don't care whether or not it hits the discounters. I just hoped it would come to my friendly neighborhood fragrance shop.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Sur la Plage

I don't think Halston Man and Halston Man Amber will hit TJMaxx or Marshalls soon - this is a limited distributed scent exclusive to Neimans/Bergdorf Goodman in the USA. I don't believe mass qualities were produced that would require resale in the gray market.

I will admit that EA Fragrances did put some good attention into the quality and presentation of these fragrances.
    Halston Man is also now at Saks.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Does anyone know who the nose responsible for the Halston Amber Man is? I know that Sarah Jessica Parker is the nose, I mean creative director, behind the Halston Heritage women's clothing collection.

Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 17th October 2010 at 06:42 PM.

How does this compare to Penhaligons Sartorial? Amber, is that gonna make it too vanilla?

I've had a few friends tell me that this is very nice.....This is one I want to sample!!!
    Gary

Is Amber Man available in Canada or which northern US chains are carrying it?
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

It doesn't smell anything like Sartorial.

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    How does this compare to Penhaligons Sartorial? Amber, is that gonna make it too vanilla?

Ordered this on Friday from Nieman Marcus and got free shipping. Surprise, it arrived yesterday via fedex. Very pleased with the service. Wore it to bed and now giving it a full days wear. It's working perfectly on this cold, snowy NYC day. I'm getting something peppery in the opening although pepper is not listed as one of the notes. Perhaps that's part of the "firecracker" feel you guys have been talking about. Once it dries down, the sweet amber kicks in and I'm in heaven. Just beautiful. Once I get to know this one, I can really see it becoming a favorite.

Of all the new fragrances of merit these past several months, it seems the Halston Man Amber is the one to seek out.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Basenotes Institution

I smelled it on a tester strip at Bergdorf when I was in NY (after testing numerous other scents) and was not impressed. I need to smell it again.