Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default Re: what is the WORST smelling fragrance

One Man Show!

On men: Kouros *

On women: Agent Provocateur
    "It's tempting to compare perfume to music: singing aldehydes and white flowers, a whispering contralto of sandalwood and vetiver...melodic and moody like a Fauré poeme"

you know i cant help but be amazed at how different peoples tastes are 0_O i mean i know everyone has different tastes but i mean, some of this stuff is just like, something i'd imagine the masses would love so even if it isn't complex or worthy of buying i would imagine it would at least smell pleasant.

But to get back on topic, i would say well, when i first started i nearly gagged on the opening of kouros. But my nose has developed a lot and nothing really smells repulsive and weird in my opinion anymore so i can't really judge. I actually like kouros now. But i will say, the other day i accidently sprayed a men on top of a platinum egoiste spray (on accident). oh my god that was beyond repulsive

fountain

lagerfeld classic. imo, it's liquid cr*p.

Quote Originally Posted by Slushiex3 View Post
    you know i cant help but be amazed at how different peoples tastes are 0_O i mean i know everyone has different tastes but i mean, some of this stuff is just like, something i'd imagine the masses would love so even if it isn't complex or worthy of buying i would imagine it would at least smell pleasant.

But to get back on topic, i would say well, when i first started i nearly gagged on the opening of kouros. But my nose has developed a lot and nothing really smells repulsive and weird in my opinion anymore so i can't really judge. I actually like kouros now. But i will say, the other day i accidently sprayed a men on top of a platinum egoiste spray (on accident). oh my god that was beyond repulsive
    Apart from obvious differences between different peoples sense of smell, I think a big reason for the difference in taste with fragrances is down to the reason why you're actually wearing them.

I think if you're wearing a fragrance to try and impress women or fish for compliments, then its more than likely you'll be someone who wants to wear something that's in your face, leaves a vapour trail wherever you walk, so strong it gives you a headache and makes your nose bleed, and has been recognised as being a fragrance that women like (think Joop, JPG, Mugler, Issey Miyake etc...)

Alternatively, you could fall in to the category of man who wears a fragrance for themselves, who doesn't really care what other people think and chooses a fragrance solely because they like it and couldn't care less if other people can't smell it or don't recognise it.

The worst smelling fragerence is Musc Raveguer. The smell is nauseating. It smells like rotten spoiled eggnog with more vanilla added to try and cover up the spoiled smells.

Encre Noir Pour Elle
    Fahrenheit
    Calvin Klein Man
    Hugo Boss Energise
    Chanel Egoiste Platinum (I love Egoiste, bu Platinum makes me gag)
    Bvlgari Blv for men
    Bvlgari Aqua Marine

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    Encre Noir Pour Elle
    Fahrenheit
    Calvin Klein Man
    Hugo Boss Energise
    Chanel Egoiste Platinum (I love Egoiste, bu Platinum makes me gag)
    Bvlgari Blv for men
    Bvlgari Aqua Marine
    It is a shame that Fahrenheit was reformulated. The old version was good. I agree the current Fahrenheit is not good.

The worst fragrance I've ever smelled is Jicky. It literally makes my stomach turn. Close runner up is C&S #88.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

My pic is L'eau d'Issey Homme Eau de Toilette. This fragrance boasts notes of Yuzu (Japanese Citron), Cypress, Coriander, Mandarin, Clary Sage, Fresh Verbena, Blue Water Lily, Nutmeg, Saffron, Bourbon Geranium, Ceylonese Cinnamon, Tobacco Amber, Musk, Indian Sandalwood, Haitian Vetiver, Cypriol. Too many notes! This fragrance is completely overpowering, confused and a guaranteed migraine.

Can't believe that no one has mentioned Paco Rabanne Ultraviolet yet. Either male or female.
    For good, anatomic reasons, scent fosters memory more readily than any other sense.

Bond No 9 Brooklyn. I got a sample of it yesterday and couldnt wait to get it off my arm. Unfortunately after a an attempt to wash it off and A SHOWER it wouldnt come off. I reeked of it the rest of the night. Very long night...

I'm very surprised at all the hatred towards Fahrenheit on these boards. Yes, the new formulation is not as refined or robust as the vintage, but is still a unique and pleasant fragrance (to my nose). Usually with that criteria on Basenotes, it is held in high regard. I'm puzzled.

Quote Originally Posted by b0n3z View Post
    I'm very surprised at all the hatred towards Fahrenheit on these boards. Yes, the new formulation is not as refined or robust as the vintage, but is still a unique and pleasant fragrance (to my nose). Usually with that criteria on Basenotes, it is held in high regard. I'm puzzled.
    It still turns heads even after all these years. Someone walks into a room wearing Fahrenheit and love it or hate it, your head will turn.
    For good, anatomic reasons, scent fosters memory more readily than any other sense.

Secretions Magnifique tops the list of ipecac flankers. Katie Puckrick's review is hilarious.

I just smelled a sample of True Religion Drifter----Yikes! who would wear that?

Many of the mentioned frags I like, but that's the nature of the business.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

After a terrific clove-and-cinnamon chai tea opening, Comme des Garcon's eponymous scent has developed into what I can unabashedly call the worst scent I've ever smelled. The spices melded clumsily together about half an hour in, and I can't inhale without smelling a flea market incense shoppe magnified one-hundred fold. Truly a gag-worthy scent, and one that has been cut/pasted from the "maybe" list to the "hell no" list for eternity and beyond.
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

DeepSilence

Quote Originally Posted by calero View Post
    One Man Show!

Aaahhhhhhhh

DeepSilence

Venezia Uomo

Caron Pour Un Homme = Play DOH! or Eau de Olde Lady
    Lagerfeld Classic = Moldy theater seats or Eau de Older Lady
    L'eau d'Issey Homme = Knitting needle in the eye (migraine)

Allure Homme Edition Blanche, 1 Million, Joop! and many new scents = Chemical warfare

For me it's ( One Man Show & Czech & Speake Cuba )
    Life is so short that some times you can't recover even one mistake so - good luck and take care

Joop Jump. Cheap smelling synthetic nasty garbage.

From what I have encountered I really didn't like
    Ferrari Red
    Live Jazz (I wonder if this was off though, as I could not smell much. Might have to retry another bottle sometime as I like Jazz)

Also rather annoying
    Eternity Men
    Obsession Men

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    I wonder if there is anyone who despises A*Men but loves one of the flankers, Pure Malt or Pure Coffee?
    I'm. I hate A*Men, but I love Pure Malt.

Kouros. WAY worse than Joop Jump! Awful. Sweat, mens room, 80's.

My worst scent is Yatagan. I really have to want something different or non-floral to wear this.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Rose Ambre by Fragonard

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesD View Post
    Hate to pile on the A*Men hatewagon, but ... yeah, it's pretty dreadful.

This past summer, I interviewed someone who reeked of it. Needless to say, they did not get the job.
    While I could see how you could hate A*Men, it is most definitely a winter fragrance not summer. In the summer it is waaaay to rough. Give it a go now in the winter it might be okay.

And having said that, the worst frag I may have ever smelled is B*men blind bought a 3.4oz. Luckily it was only 34$...tho that probably should have been a hint. I've never heard a guys story start "So I got complimented on my cologne today, I am wearing B*Men"

Aramis Original

I cant believe im the only one to mention OPIUM.Thats stuff stinks to high heaven.
    I dont like JOOP either..

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Have i mentioned Beyond Paradise for Men?
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme
    Totally agree. Blind bought this due to the overwhelming thumbs up. I sprayed it and I felt like I was dying inside. It made me wish I'd never been born.
    .Dave J