Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: what is the WORST smelling fragrance

One Man Show!

On men: Kouros *

On women: Agent Provocateur
    "It's tempting to compare perfume to music: singing aldehydes and white flowers, a whispering contralto of sandalwood and vetiver...melodic and moody like a Fauré poeme"

you know i cant help but be amazed at how different peoples tastes are 0_O i mean i know everyone has different tastes but i mean, some of this stuff is just like, something i'd imagine the masses would love so even if it isn't complex or worthy of buying i would imagine it would at least smell pleasant.

But to get back on topic, i would say well, when i first started i nearly gagged on the opening of kouros. But my nose has developed a lot and nothing really smells repulsive and weird in my opinion anymore so i can't really judge. I actually like kouros now. But i will say, the other day i accidently sprayed a men on top of a platinum egoiste spray (on accident). oh my god that was beyond repulsive

fountain

lagerfeld classic. imo, it's liquid cr*p.

Quote Originally Posted by Slushiex3 View Post
    you know i cant help but be amazed at how different peoples tastes are 0_O i mean i know everyone has different tastes but i mean, some of this stuff is just like, something i'd imagine the masses would love so even if it isn't complex or worthy of buying i would imagine it would at least smell pleasant.

But to get back on topic, i would say well, when i first started i nearly gagged on the opening of kouros. But my nose has developed a lot and nothing really smells repulsive and weird in my opinion anymore so i can't really judge. I actually like kouros now. But i will say, the other day i accidently sprayed a men on top of a platinum egoiste spray (on accident). oh my god that was beyond repulsive
    Apart from obvious differences between different peoples sense of smell, I think a big reason for the difference in taste with fragrances is down to the reason why you're actually wearing them.

I think if you're wearing a fragrance to try and impress women or fish for compliments, then its more than likely you'll be someone who wants to wear something that's in your face, leaves a vapour trail wherever you walk, so strong it gives you a headache and makes your nose bleed, and has been recognised as being a fragrance that women like (think Joop, JPG, Mugler, Issey Miyake etc...)

Alternatively, you could fall in to the category of man who wears a fragrance for themselves, who doesn't really care what other people think and chooses a fragrance solely because they like it and couldn't care less if other people can't smell it or don't recognise it.

The worst smelling fragerence is Musc Raveguer. The smell is nauseating. It smells like rotten spoiled eggnog with more vanilla added to try and cover up the spoiled smells.

Encre Noir Pour Elle
    Fahrenheit
    Calvin Klein Man
    Hugo Boss Energise
    Chanel Egoiste Platinum (I love Egoiste, bu Platinum makes me gag)
    Bvlgari Blv for men
    Bvlgari Aqua Marine

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    Encre Noir Pour Elle
    Fahrenheit
    Calvin Klein Man
    Hugo Boss Energise
    Chanel Egoiste Platinum (I love Egoiste, bu Platinum makes me gag)
    Bvlgari Blv for men
    Bvlgari Aqua Marine
    It is a shame that Fahrenheit was reformulated. The old version was good. I agree the current Fahrenheit is not good.

The worst fragrance I've ever smelled is Jicky. It literally makes my stomach turn. Close runner up is C&S #88.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

My pic is L'eau d'Issey Homme Eau de Toilette. This fragrance boasts notes of Yuzu (Japanese Citron), Cypress, Coriander, Mandarin, Clary Sage, Fresh Verbena, Blue Water Lily, Nutmeg, Saffron, Bourbon Geranium, Ceylonese Cinnamon, Tobacco Amber, Musk, Indian Sandalwood, Haitian Vetiver, Cypriol. Too many notes! This fragrance is completely overpowering, confused and a guaranteed migraine.

Can't believe that no one has mentioned Paco Rabanne Ultraviolet yet. Either male or female.
    The Large Print Giveth And The Small Print Taketh Away

Bond No 9 Brooklyn. I got a sample of it yesterday and couldnt wait to get it off my arm. Unfortunately after a an attempt to wash it off and A SHOWER it wouldnt come off. I reeked of it the rest of the night. Very long night...

I'm very surprised at all the hatred towards Fahrenheit on these boards. Yes, the new formulation is not as refined or robust as the vintage, but is still a unique and pleasant fragrance (to my nose). Usually with that criteria on Basenotes, it is held in high regard. I'm puzzled.

Quote Originally Posted by b0n3z View Post
    I'm very surprised at all the hatred towards Fahrenheit on these boards. Yes, the new formulation is not as refined or robust as the vintage, but is still a unique and pleasant fragrance (to my nose). Usually with that criteria on Basenotes, it is held in high regard. I'm puzzled.
    It still turns heads even after all these years. Someone walks into a room wearing Fahrenheit and love it or hate it, your head will turn.
    The Large Print Giveth And The Small Print Taketh Away

Secretions Magnifique tops the list of ipecac flankers. Katie Puckrick's review is hilarious.

I just smelled a sample of True Religion Drifter----Yikes! who would wear that?

Many of the mentioned frags I like, but that's the nature of the business.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

After a terrific clove-and-cinnamon chai tea opening, Comme des Garcon's eponymous scent has developed into what I can unabashedly call the worst scent I've ever smelled. The spices melded clumsily together about half an hour in, and I can't inhale without smelling a flea market incense shoppe magnified one-hundred fold. Truly a gag-worthy scent, and one that has been cut/pasted from the "maybe" list to the "hell no" list for eternity and beyond.
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

DeepSilence

Quote Originally Posted by calero View Post
    One Man Show!

Aaahhhhhhhh

DeepSilence

Venezia Uomo

Caron Pour Un Homme = Play DOH! or Eau de Olde Lady
    Lagerfeld Classic = Moldy theater seats or Eau de Older Lady
    L'eau d'Issey Homme = Knitting needle in the eye (migraine)

Allure Homme Edition Blanche, 1 Million, Joop! and many new scents = Chemical warfare

For me it's ( One Man Show & Czech & Speake Cuba )
    Life is so short that some times you can't recover even one mistake so - good luck and take care

Joop Jump. Cheap smelling synthetic nasty garbage.

From what I have encountered I really didn't like
    Ferrari Red
    Live Jazz (I wonder if this was off though, as I could not smell much. Might have to retry another bottle sometime as I like Jazz)

Also rather annoying
    Eternity Men
    Obsession Men

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    I wonder if there is anyone who despises A*Men but loves one of the flankers, Pure Malt or Pure Coffee?
    I'm. I hate A*Men, but I love Pure Malt.

Kouros. WAY worse than Joop Jump! Awful. Sweat, mens room, 80's.

My worst scent is Yatagan. I really have to want something different or non-floral to wear this.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesD View Post
    Hate to pile on the A*Men hatewagon, but ... yeah, it's pretty dreadful.

This past summer, I interviewed someone who reeked of it. Needless to say, they did not get the job.
    While I could see how you could hate A*Men, it is most definitely a winter fragrance not summer. In the summer it is waaaay to rough. Give it a go now in the winter it might be okay.

And having said that, the worst frag I may have ever smelled is B*men blind bought a 3.4oz. Luckily it was only 34$...tho that probably should have been a hint. I've never heard a guys story start "So I got complimented on my cologne today, I am wearing B*Men"

Aramis Original

I cant believe im the only one to mention OPIUM.Thats stuff stinks to high heaven.
    I dont like JOOP either..

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Have i mentioned Beyond Paradise for Men?
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme
    Totally agree. Blind bought this due to the overwhelming thumbs up. I sprayed it and I felt like I was dying inside. It made me wish I'd never been born.
    .Dave J

Tom Ford's-Grey Vetiver

Cool water

bunch of p*ssies. Angel Men is mild stuff compared to Kouros.

Kouros starts off smelling like a house out of 'Hoarders' TV show then goes into a nice dry down of bear urine.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusInKensington View Post
    Apart from obvious differences between different peoples sense of smell, I think a big reason for the difference in taste with fragrances is down to the reason why you're actually wearing them.

I think if you're wearing a fragrance to try and impress women or fish for compliments, then its more than likely you'll be someone who wants to wear something that's in your face, leaves a vapour trail wherever you walk, so strong it gives you a headache and makes your nose bleed, and has been recognised as being a fragrance that women like (think Joop, JPG, Mugler, Issey Miyake etc...)

Alternatively, you could fall in to the category of man who wears a fragrance for themselves, who doesn't really care what other people think and chooses a fragrance solely because they like it and couldn't care less if other people can't smell it or don't recognise it.
    I was reading this thread out of curiosity, and this stood out to me. What smells good or not is often related to personal opinions and olfactory memories (good and bad, "synthetic" or natural, etc.) I am of the opinion of "I wear whatever I like to wear." HOWEVER, that could very well mean A*Men, among other often hated popular fragrances (I love Dreamer, one that's often berated by fragrance snobs). There's no shame in wearing popular perfumes, as there's no shame in wearing the uncommon as well. I like both loud and quiet fragrances, I just go for a nice smell. Some people make it look as if the perfume is loud, it must be vulgar or wrong, not "refined", "classy", whatever that may mean to them. I don't wear perfumes for others, although it's nice to be complimented, but I certainly don't want to stink (admittedly, a subjective term too) to make an olfactory statement of my "class" and "knowledge" of strange perfumes (wearing strange perfumes is fine by itself, btw). Neither I want to pay hundreds of dollars (or pennies, for that matter) for watery, nondescript fragrances, just for "prestige" or false exclusivity. Additionally, wearing "insert popular fragrance" doesn't make you a lower caste in the perfume loving community. Who cares, wear what you like. Perfume is not a class statement, nor a test for who has the "best nose" and "appreciation for true art." I indeed love perfume as an art, but as in everything in life, one can take it to the extreme and become a ridiculous snob and judge of what's "really good," just to inflate our egos. I don't care for what others wear, only for what I wear, and I don't mind if it's popular or unpopular, as long as I like it. Again, liking the popular doesn't make you a perfume idiot, you'll just won't be as exclusive, but it's up to you if that matters to you or not. Since I have both kind of perfumes, I really don't mind. I LIKE "exclusivity," but mostly, I like to smell good, mostly to myself, and secondly, to others.

Finally, there's no worse smelling fragrance. :P I would say that a perfume that doesn't smell at ALL (even to you), would be "the worst," because it defeats its purpose of being considered a "scent." But there are actually people looking for this kind of "scent" anyway... and I shouldn't care about it (although I think that it's probably cheaper to pour water on yourself- my opinion, anyway.)

No offense meant, and I didn't take offense to any of the comments in this thread either. Just thought that the above quoted comment was making people who wear loud or popular perfumes mutually exclusive with people who wear things for themselves. Totally disagree, wear what you like, whether it's Cool Water or Poivre Piquant, A*men or Piper Nigrum, Rochas Man or New Haarlem, Pink Sugar or Sweet Oriental Dream. It is our choice, not any other person's (of course, common sense dictates that we should apply perfume in appropriate fashion-as well as care for the concerns of people we love or are close to-but still, perfume should mostly be a matter of what you believe in, like, and enjoy wearing and sniffing.) All of us are justified in liking or disliking A*Men (to name one); just don't make it any class or connoisseurship statement.

and of course Le Male

that smells like straight up douchebag

My hate at the moment are

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens
    Success is a Job in NY by Bond no9

Guerlain Vetiver makes me frown at the first sniff. Smell like rotten cheese to me.

Gucci pour homme - I can't stand the horrible pencil shavings smell, throughout the heart to basenotes.
    Utterly vile...who wants to smell like that?

Worst thing is I blind bought it! After rave reviews here...oh well!

In my opinion, I would have to say that the worst fragrance I have ever smelled is either Cool Water, or Stetson. Also, I do not think that Le Male is that great. Don't get me wrong, Le Male is certainly not the worst fragrance I have ever smelled, but it is way overrated.

Perfumum Fumidus - Wet ashtray O.o
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

I'm fairly new to the world of frag and so far only one frag has left a mental scar on my memory......Bvlgari Black!

Gut wrenching too!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Have i mentioned Beyond Paradise for Men?
    Ugh. That one is so horrible. Luca Turin's credibility dropped quite a bit when I tried this one.

-&-

There are nice rummy,spicy notes but under a nasty sh**t fecal note that does not go away at all. A shame had high hopes for Cuba I thought it would be similar to TF TV or Aramis Havana. Ohhh no it wasn't.... real shame :-/

Though sometimes, in moments of weakness, I think I like Tom Ford Black Orchid, it is actually a truly, truly vile scent.

Quorum: Oh my... If I have to choose one to vanish...
    Grey Flannel: Old man violet...
    Givenchy Gentleman: Oldman
    One Man Show: this is evil on a bottle.
    Kouros: No one should smell like this.
    Lagerfeld: Grandma came to dinner.
    CK Obsession: Old Indian Grandma came to dinner.
    Ted Lapidus: vile
    Dunhill Pursuit: D&G The One + Old Uncle from Barbershop.
    Jaguar (original): For god sake. old rotten oranges
    YSL Rive Gauche: The barbershop meets anis

I've never smelled it, but I hear Secretions Magnifique is quite a gag. Also, the fragrance expert at Saks told me that Tom Ford's Urban Musk smells like sh*t, literally.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    '

=

+

I'll agree with Pure Vetiver. Not even trying to be mean either, that stuff smells like a sick animal.

le male
    a*men
    royal oud
    tom ford extreme
    kouros
    platinum egoiste

I had to wash off Amouage (Reflection Man I think, possibly Silver). I smelled like some middle eastern cab driver who ate nothing but curry and hadn't washed in two weeks. HORRIBLE. I mean HORRIBLE.

Perfumum Fumidus
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

DKNY Men and BUrberry Brit

Oh and

Fahrenheit and although i own A men, i find it to be so cloying at first... it makes me wanna vomit.after 2 hours its a good chocolate caramel smell.... im glad i only got the mini bottle...

Ha. You guys must get overwhelmed easily. L'eau D'issey, A*Men, Kouros aren't even that bad. I understand we're all different, but c'mon ..

Lanvin Oxygene Homme. I typically use the fragrances I don't like to help re-scent the room after my cat uses her litter box and doesn't cover up. I can't even use Oxygene Homme for that because it makes the room smell worse.

Polo

Joop Homme!

- - - Updated - - -

Joop Homme!

I'm with all who mentioned Paco Rabanne XS Black.
    Rancid sugared goats piss.
    Cool Water is up there for me too.
    Oh, and Burberry Weekend.

Oh dear, I didn't realize it was an old old thread.

mihailo

I suddenly realized I hate ALL fragrances. I kind of liked owning the bottles. Wearing a fragrance is something I find artificial. I just sold most of my wardrobe and I have never felt happier. Thank you good night :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mihailo View Post
    I suddenly realized I hate ALL fragrances. I kind of liked owning the bottles. Wearing a fragrance is something I find artificial. I just sold most of my wardrobe and I have never felt happier. Thank you good night :-)

Wow!, what made you change your mind about frags suddenly?

My most hated fragrance is red door by Elizabeth Arden...definition of old lady smell