Code of Conduct

Question Stronger scents at night?

I am wondering what the reasons are for the concept that stronger scents should be worn at night and weaker ones in the daytime.

Default Re: Stronger scents at night?

Office environment during the day.
    You want to attract attention at night.
    Colder environment, then you can use heavier scents.
    Of the night are the matters of love.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Im thinking that during the day time if you wear stronger scents your around more people = more disgust
    also the cologne itself might not produce such a great effect under heated conditions

also for those 'warmer' fragrances, im guessing they would be better off at night
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Office environment during the day.
    You want to attract attention at night.
    Colder environment, then you can use heavier scents.
    Of the night are the matters of love.
    Yep, I agree and take into consideration that night is a mysterious vibe so you want dark and mysterous colognes for that occasion.

Also there is the casual/formal duality aspect to be considered- even someone who works in a very formal, business-like environment over the day is still more likely to wear something more light, neutral, even casual, while during the night, a more formal attire may be matched with a slightly more eccentric, heavy and almost overpowering scent

Not so much that strong scents should be worn at night, but they shouldn't be worn so much in the day because of the sun and humidity. Too much heat on a stronger scent such as A*Men may cause quite the scene, however in cooler climate, it's okay.

For me, I always assumed it had to do with the night/day temperature difference. It doesn't really apply in many coastal climates where the difference is often quite small, but if you live in a climate where it's 35C in the day and drops down to 16C at night that's a very different environment with quite different levels of projection.

All that has been said definitely applies. Also, I think there is the fashion factor to consider. It's generally assumed that the evening is for "dressing up" and or making a statement. Along with more complex (interesting) dressing, make-up, and hair styles comes more complex and statement-oriented fragrancing. "Frangrancing", I just made that up. Let's all use it. "Don't bother me now, I'm fragrancing." "One can never be too picky when fragrancing before an important event."
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

"Fragrancing". I love it. I just fragranced with Chanel's Coco and am stinking up my computer area beautifully. Nothing like a good fragrancing to brighten a gloomy day!

I think nighttime offers a little more socio-cultural leeway for the use of heavier, stronger, more obnoxious fragrances - the "be noticed, make a statement" thing - whereas the day hours call for something a little more sober and subdued, and perhaps more sprightly, to match the general pace and feel of the workday.

Like others said, I think it's a combo of colder temperatures and a stronger presence is more desirable (ex. out on the town)

I also think it's to do with trying to overcome sensory overload. If you're in a restaurant, or a club/bar, etc, then there are so many other competing smells your scent has to overcome. (ie most people want their scents to get noticed so they go heavy at night to yell louder then everyone else's).

it could also be a matter of TIME/endurance. When I have a scent sitting with me at my desk as I work all day for 10 hours, and I'm meeting withe poeple for an extended period, I try not to clobber them with anything offensive. At night, I'm only out for a few hours and people generally move around and in+out of the scent aura so I can afford to wear something smellier.
    NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads