Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance for a Physician

Good Morning/Evening to all you wonderful Basenoters,
    I'm a newbie to this forum and I've found this such a great community for discussing perfumes. Kudos and keep up the good work!

Ok, it's time to throw up my plea. Please help me choose a perfume.

Points to keep in mind:
    a) I'm a Physician, Male, 38 working in Chennai, India. (Hot and humid place)
    b) I need a perfume that has great longevity. I work long hours.
    c) It shouldnt be too musky or overpowering. Fruity or floral should be fine
    d) Decent Sillage. Nothing dramatic.
    e) I have Versace Eau Fraiche, Burberry London, F Black PH by Ferragamo, Azzaro Chrome, La Nuit De L'Homme by YSL, 212 By Carolina Herrera.
    f) Of the above, my skin type doesnt do much justice to Chrome, Nuit De L'Homme and 212 is plain bad.
    g) Eau Fraiche smells wonderful, doesnt last. London and F Black are fine but definitely not day wear fragrances.
    h) Brands like Creed are not available here. The popular brands like Armani, Chanel, Versace, YSL, Cartier, Lacoste, Lancome, Issey Miyake, Thierry Mugler, Dior, et al are available.

Thanks in advance.
    ~*~There are things of deadly earnest that can only be mentioned under the innocent cover of a joke~*~

Default Re: Fragrance for a Physician

leau de issey, mugler cologne, paco rabanne xs if you can get it. Those are good ones that will not disturb or offend your patients.

Welcome aboard!

I'd recommend you to try some vetiver scents as they are not overpowering and are not usually challenging to the nose.

Some of the ones you could try are:

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Chanel Sycomore

India produces some excellent 'vetiver essential oil'. You could try to obtain some and see how it goes as vetiver essential oil can be easily worn on skin and believe me, it beats most vetiver scents in terms of longevity. Besides it shall be very very cheap too.

The new CH for me. Is good too for hot climates

Chanel try Chanel no 19.
    Cartier try Declaration
    Dior try Dior Homme or Dior Homme Cologne

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I work with patients at a hospital myself. Try these:-

Cristalle edt by Chanel
    Herrera Aqua by Carolina Herrera
    L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake
    A Scent by Issey Miyake
    Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari
    Roadster by Cartier

Try keep a small decant handy; fresh scents seldom last beyond 4-6 hours. And welcome to Basenotes!

As you are leaning over me while I lay in a hospital bed telling me Im gonna die , Im not really gonna care what you smell like

Chanel Allure Sport works well in hot weather.

Im gonna go with a very basic suggestion : Cool Water by Davidoff.
    Fine frag that meets all your requirements.
    Smellin good

imo, anyone working in a health care setting should use frags with a light hand.

I would recommend something very, very light as some people with allergies might be sensitive. Also, pregnant women can be sensitive to some fragrances.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Bulgari Pour Homme is perfect for a physician and have deceptively long longevity.

Kenneth Cole Reaction
    Hugo Boss Hugo
    Dior Homme Cologne

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by Partagas View Post
    imo, anyone working in a health care setting should use frags with a light hand.
    Oh, definitely. But going fragrance-free is beyond ridiculous since the body itself emits a natural odor.

body kourous

For a doctor, something light, clean, fresh and distinguished. I would recommend:

Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Eau de Cartier
    Must de Cartier

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Kenneth Cole Reaction
    Hugo Boss Hugo
    Dior Homme Cologne
    He'll only want Reaction if he only wants to smell good long enough to impress the ladies at the front desk when he walks in ;P

Dior Homme Cologne, while I have not tried it, seems like a great choice based on the reviews.

cartier declaration
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I agree with Gupts about considering a vetiver fragrance. Vetiver is cooling, and something about it connotes health to me. One that hasn't been mentioned is the Vetyver by L'Occitane. If you have that store, give it a try!

I also think a light application of Terre d'Hermes would be perfect for a doctor, an I agree with the suggestions of Eau de Cartier and Issey Miyake A Scent.

As a physician, the allergenicity of fragrances becomes significantly important. There is one fragrance specifically designed to be as hypoallergenic as possible yet still smell excellent. The perfumer has severe contact dermatitis as well as aggressive respiratory allergies and is carving out a niche in the world of health care providers and amongst allergic-type fragrance lovers.

It would be Gendarme. In India, it would be reasonable to expect it would need to be reapplied once during patient care hours. I have yet to try Gendarme in the EdP strength, but it is newly available. Gendarme is the only fragrance I allow in our clinic for those who are involved in direct patient care. Technically, Gendarme is an all-day fragrance but I've found the last three hours to be very faint.

Hopefully Gendarme is locally available.
    Kind regards from the US Pacific Northwest.
    Dr. Daryl
    Last edited by Daryl J.; 30th September 2010 at 02:44 AM. Reason: phrase left out, word left out.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl J. View Post
    As a physician, the allergenicity of fragrances becomes significantly important. There is one fragrance specifically designed to be as hypoallergenic as possible yet still smell excellent. The perfumer has severe contact dermatitis as well as aggressive respiratory allergies and is carving out a niche in the world of health care providers and amongst allergic-type fragrance lovers.
    Contact dermatitis is merely one thing to consider. While you have considered Ig-mediated responses, remember that there are also non-allergic hypersensitivity reactions (not Ig mediated). These would cause symptoms similar to allergic reactions such as rhinorrhea, etc. but the etiology would be from chemicals, temperature, etc., as the main offenses. To make my case, patients can have non-allergic responses to various stimuli which includes smell. Therefore, any fragrance can potentially illicit a response but, I'll never give up wearing a fragrance lol.
    Last edited by Scentologist; 30th September 2010 at 03:05 AM.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

One of my favorite local department stores - a very high-end, high-class store - has absolutely wonderful fragrance sales associates. It's one of the few stores I've ever been to in which I actually listen to the sales associates, and take their advice seriously. I was looking for an office fragrance, and the sales associates spent a lot of time asking me about my work, how I dress for work, other fragrances I like, etc. Finally the sales associate recommended Cartier Pasha Fraicheur Menthe, and she said, "I have several clients who are doctors, and they all wear this one. It's light and professional." Couldn't agree more. Go light on the trigger, because it does have some spice to it. But the fresh minty topnotes work very well when you want to smell clean, fresh, and professional. I have received many compliments while wearing it.

If i was a physician I'd wear a clean, soapy type of scent. Gendarme or Mugler cologne would both be good choices. I'd feel weird wearing something like Chanel or YSL.
    Bottles for Swap:

Givenchy Pour Homme 1.7oz(97% full)
    CK Obsession Night 1.7oz(97% full)
    Cerruti 1881 1.7oz(50% full)
    Un Jardin Sur De Nil(95% full)

Looking for:

Chanel Allure Sport
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Polo Blue
    Fahrenheit Absolute
    Dolce and Gabbana The One

Contact dermatitis is merely one thing to consider. While you have considered Ig-mediated responses, remember that there are also non-allergic hypersensitivity reactions (not Ig mediated). These would cause symptoms similar to allergic reactions such as rhinorrhea, etc. but the etiology would be from chemicals, temperature, etc., as the main offenses. To make my case, patients can have non-allergic responses to various stimuli which includes smell. Therefore, any fragrance can potentially illicit a response but, I'll never give up wearing a fragrance lol.
    He speaks my language! I am so at home. LoL.

To put things more in Basenotes perspective and be adjunctive to your parting phrase, Maison Francis Kurkdjian's Absolute pour le Soir is amazing. If your patients are used to you smelling good, this one's a home run.

DavidBond007, gupts, CorruptedSanity, volley2, Diamondflame, Pour_Monsieur, BradW, timaru, Partagas, Primrose, Pappy, jenson, Krispy Kreme, Chasing the Dragon, AppleNerd, Scentologist, Haunani, Darly J., mrcologneguy, Armor King.

Thank you very much kind folks. You've thrown much light. And yea, don't worry, I'll keep in mind patients and allergies.

Pour_Monsieur, As I lean over you while you lie in a hospital bed telling you that you are gonna die, I dont want my BO to kill you off before your time comes.

timaru, Cool Water is a good one but kinda too kinda generic here.

AppleNerd, why shouldnt I want to impress the ladies at the front desk? LOL

Dr. Daryl, Hi to you too from Chennai...nice to see another doc on the boards! Gendarme sounds interesting but unfortunately not available here.

mrcologneguy, the Pasha Fraicheur Menthe isnt available Only the plain Pasha here. Is that good too?

Thanks once again all you kind people. I'm going to try out a few tomorrow (Saturday). Will let you all know what I netted.
    ~*~There are things of deadly earnest that can only be mentioned under the innocent cover of a joke~*~

I'd go with L'Artisan's L'eau de Jatamansi. No, it doesn't have the longevity you want, but it is a completely natural (NO synthetics) fragrance that is even 80% organic. Instead of worrying about extreme longevity, just carry an atomizer around with you and refresh throughout the day. It works exceptionally well in the heat, too.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by drgts View Post
    [mrcologneguy, the Pasha Fraicheur Menthe isnt available Only the plain Pasha here. Is that good too?
    Yes, the original Pasha is a very nice choice for professional wear. The fresh mint version works better in summer, and it's overall a bit lighter. But the original is also a real favorite. Again, go light on the trigger, especially in warm weather. Give it a try, at least. Hope you love it as much as I do.

Gendarme or Clean Fresh Laundry (ignore the gender bias, trust me).

You probably won't find those locally, so stick with an aquatic.

DeepSilence

Paco Rabanne XS

What about Chloroform and Formaldehyde.
    Just a bad taste joke, I could not help it.
    Seriously, I'll give Tuscan Soul by S. Farragamo a try.

Quote Originally Posted by drgts View Post
    India
    Hi - a simple scent to wear during working hours would be Secretions Magnifiques by ELDO. Probably this might not be available in India.

First of all a fragrance must not be used to overcome bad smells. Things would for sure get worse.

Second a fragrance would preferably be choosen along the certain odours and foods around.

Third it would be fine to chosse it along the clientele You serve.

Forth, if Your work lets You keep a sole room the frag must not linger extensively.

Guerlain Shalimar connects well to sweat (hot, humid), it connects to tangy aromas as well as to sweats (regional kitchen), it is simple on the first whiff, and the zillage is toned down. Bulgari Black is not too far from it. In both the vanilla shows an optimistic mood which may be helpfull regarding Your profession.

I think You could forget about Western European frags due to their "fresh" alignment. In hot humid surrounding they would go rancid within a minute leaving a stinky mess of failed arrogance.

Not at least I would look up the regional, traditional codes regarding scents. As far as I know certain aromas are bound to rituals or special ocasions.

Good Luck!

Hi,
    First post but felt I had to reply !! I am a GP in England.The one scent I would recommend is Caron pour Un Homme.This is a very discreet scent with lavender in the opening followed by a calming vanilla in the dry down--ideal for your patients.I have used this for a couple of years with no complaints !! Regards the issue of doctors wearing scent -- most patients are not in with me long enough to have any realistic chance of a reaction to the scent and my office is air conditioned reducing the sillage too.

Image by Cerruti would be nice
    To be successful, you must smell successful! THATSMR2USIR

All due respect Wild Thingy but I think Shalimar is the last thing I'd want to smell in a clinical setting. I'll add my votes to eau de Cartier and Mugler Cologne.

Welcome to Basenotes, Stalliano! I think your suggestion is right on. Recently, I had to spend some time in a hospital with a family member, and I wore lavender fragrances every day. One was Pour Un Homme. I agree that it's calming and discreet just perfect for a doctor of either gender!

Quote Originally Posted by Stalliano View Post
    Hi,
    First post but felt I had to reply !! I am a GP in England.The one scent I would recommend is Caron pour Un Homme.This is a very discreet scent with lavender in the opening followed by a calming vanilla in the dry down--ideal for your patients.I have used this for a couple of years with no complaints !! Regards the issue of doctors wearing scent -- most patients are not in with me long enough to have any realistic chance of a reaction to the scent and my office is air conditioned reducing the sillage too.