Code of Conduct

Default Best magazine for the most male fragrence Samples/Ads?

Recently while in the restroom at work I happened to stumble upon a current issue of GQ magazine; I excitingly flipped threw recollecting they seemed to have a lot of those gluey magazine fragrance samples. Unlucky for me someone had already torn all of them out; guess I'm not the only Basenoter at work..

Does anyone subscribe to a magazine pretty much just for the samples or at least know which publication seems to have the most pour homme samples per issue?

GQ seemed to have about 4..

Default Re: Best magazine for the most male fragrence Samples/Ads?

I went through Details and GQ today while waiting for a haircut. GQ had Acqua Di Gio, Le Male, Issey Miyake, and...I can't remember. Details had some - not as many. I was suprised at the number in GQ.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

The C. Nast publication Details. I paged through one at the barber shop a few weeks ago and I seem to remember a few already opened smell-strips in the issue.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Men's Health usually has a few samples in it.

Two problems with the samples, though:

A) They're usually the most boring, mass-market fragrances.

B) I think the process used to create scent strips has a tendency to corrupt the actual fragrance. They all end up smelling kind of chemical-ish. Then again, it might just be the generally low quality of the scents that end up in those ads.

Still, I've found magazines to be a handy resource while traveling. If you forgot to pack fragrance, you can buy a $4 magazine and use the scent strips. But chances are you'll end up smelling like "Eau de Molecule of the Year." If you're that desperate, you might be better off just going to a drugstore and picking up something inexpensive there.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    I think the process used to create scent strips has a tendency to corrupt the actual fragrance. They all end up smelling kind of chemical-ish. Then again, it might just be the generally low quality of the scents that end up in those ads.
    I've never found scent strips in magazines to be useful, mainly because I find they all smell exactly the same to me - the word "gluey" is an apt description, though rationally I realize that the scent companies probably take pains to use non-scented adhesives to not interfere with the fragrance they're hawking. Still, there's something about the "base" scent of glossy magazine stock that interferes with and/or overwhelms whatever fragrance is supposed to be there.

I think Details and GQ have pretty much cornered the men's fragrance ad strip market; Men's Health is generally limited to frags with the word "sport" in their name, so it's worth checking if you're into that sort of thing. (I am not.)

I agree they all do seem to have a gluey chemically smell; I've never tried to actually rub the scent onto my skin from a magazine and probably wouldn't try in a serious manor thinking its as genuine as just getting a decant. I was thinking an 18$ subscription for a year isn't to bad for being able to be up on all the mass market scents. (Most which I would probably never buy beings they all seem to be the same sporty-fresh style but I could get surprised.)

While I could just put that 18$ towards a decant I like the idea of being surprised with a handful of glue-ish mass market samples every month.. Better yet just hit up your local doctors office waiting room and make a few quick tears at all the scent strips you can find.

I checked out Details they seemed to have about 2-3 for each issue; GQ seems to have 4-5 so there probably the best bet for anyone interested in mass market male fragrance samples.

It's usually the boring aquatics. I wouldn't subscribe just for a lousy sample each month.

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesD View Post
    I've never found scent strips in magazines to be useful, mainly because I find they all smell exactly the same to me - the word "gluey" is an apt description, though rationally I realize that the scent companies probably take pains to use non-scented adhesives to not interfere with the fragrance they're hawking. Still, there's something about the "base" scent of glossy magazine stock that interferes with and/or overwhelms whatever fragrance is supposed to be there.
    Exactly, and very well said. I have never been attracted to a fragrance by one of those scented magazine ads. In several cases I have come across ads for fragrances I know and have been shocked by how bad they smell in the ad. I guess that the perfume manufacturers never bother going to the news stand to pick up a copy of the magazines they spend so much money to advertise in to see how consumers experience those ads.