Code of Conduct

Default Louis Vuitton and fragrance...why hasn't it happened yet?

This company seems like a natural for the fragrance game. How come they haven't done any? You know it would be HUGE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Louis Vuitton and fragrance...why hasn't it happened yet?

For a short while in the 1920s, Louis Vuitton produced at least three perfumes-- "Heures d' Absence," "Sur la Route," "Je, Tu, Il." Perhaps they see no reason to relaunch that aspect of their company given some of the other lines under the LVMH umbrella (Dior, Givenchy, Guerlain). They've actually sold off more mainstream fragrance lines like Kors and Marc Jacobs. Prada and Hermes fragrances aren't especially "huge" so I don't know that LV would be a slam dunk. It would cost quite of money bit to create and introduce a new fragrance division, and why reinvent the wheel when you've already got Guerlain?
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Did not know that...
    But I think people would want it just because it's branded under Louis Vuitton and all that implies. The romance of travel is a natural sell. Who wouldn't want a bottle with the LV logo on it? It would be akin to Chanel. I can't afford a Chanel garment; but the perfume is within reach, thus allowing me to "share the fantasy" as it were. Vuitton could come up with some fantastic packaging, I'm sure. Hopefully the actual scent would be great too...but even if it wasn't, I would predict a mega smash success.
    Last edited by colormechris; 27th September 2010 at 04:29 AM.

i read an interview with marc jacobs not too long ago stating a fragrance for louis vuitton is something he's always wanted to do. there was no time line however, and no mention of wether or not it would ever happen.

however, i doubt we'll see this fragrance on department store shelves. i'm sure this will end up only in their boutiques, and will be in the high end of niche fragrance pricing. regardless of how much it costs, it will be wildly successful. how many 18 to 25 year old girls will want this? (all of them!). and even though it would be a super pricey fragrance, it would still be one of the few affordable vuitton products.

personally, i hope it's a rich leather scent if they ever make one for men. they could re-bottle cuiron with a new name and i'd be the happiest boy in town!

Post Thanks / Like

haydn is right, 'Louis Vuitton has a policy of strict control of distribution. It sells its products only in its own boutiques and sections of department stores, and it believes that is not a large enough retail network for a viable perfume business.'

I can't believe anyone at that company seriously believes that a Louis Vuitton fragrance wouldn't be viable! Heck, if they all ready own Guerlain, they could whip up a "Guerlain for Louis Vuitton" type deal. Sell that at the boutiques. Eventually, it could be the one thing they go mass market with. They do have strict control; but you can go on line and get a "replica" on any one of dozens of sites. So they need to compete with these guys. Driving up their prices to beyond exorbinant levels seems counter productive. Their prices used to be expensive but reasonable.
    All that being said...I would also love something leathery from them...that delicious smell when you walk into one of their shops. In a trunk shaped bottle of course!
    Last edited by colormechris; 28th September 2010 at 03:43 AM.

What beautiful names for those fragrances too...
    I think it's better not to have any fragrances than to have the horrible ones that Coach put out.
    I would wish for something tarry, dark, smokey, of course leathery and mysterious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CX827 View Post
    haydn is right, 'Louis Vuitton has a policy of strict control of distribution. It sells its products only in its own boutiques and sections of department stores, and it believes that is not a large enough retail network for a viable perfume business.'
    I read this too and I can understand the logic - they don't want LV scents being sold anywhere BUT their own LV stores - whereas Hermes, Prada and other high end lines have no problem with wider public distribution.

That said - if they slammed a few into their stores I imagine sales would take off like a rocket . . . it just comes down to the math really. I'm sure they have eagle eyed accountants looking for the tipping point where cost of development and manufacture et al will translate to a profitable venture.

Post Thanks / Like

^Definitely, on the other hand, i am patiently waiting for the one that comes from Bottega Veneta as BV has signed a license agreement with Coty last year and the fragrance is expecting to be launched in the fall of 2011.

Eager to see what Tomas Maier will come up with, would it be leathery fragrance or something in modern Italian style...

Post Thanks / Like

Bottega Veneta with Coty????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by calero View Post
    Yep, hope is gonna be something good

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by calero View Post
    That's so sad, because they have those L'Artisan candles...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    What beautiful names for those fragrances too...
    I think it's better not to have any fragrances than to have the horrible ones that Coach put out.
    I would wish for something tarry, dark, smokey, of course leathery and mysterious.
    Dark, smokey, leathery and mysterious? No need to wait for Louis Vitton - just go get some Amouage Memoir Man! (or Salvador Dali PH for a similar, perhaps even more sinister experience, and cheaper too!)

Still, I'd like to see a LV fragrance. I'm sure it would be excellent.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, Louis Vuitton released a limitied edition fragrance years ago. But, it is not a mainstream item. Here is the link;
    http://1000fragrances.blogspot.com/2...fragrance.html
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure an LV fragrance would smell excellent, much better than say, the Coach fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know anything about anything regarding LV, but there is a LV perfume listed on ebay right now as we speak. It looks legit, too. I'd like somebody who knows a thing or two to investigate that and explain what that might be. I'm intrigued and tempted to buy it just 'cause.

That "Eau de Voyage" looks a little fishy to me. What does that card say? And can't read the printing on the box. Hmmmmmm.

There's another bottle of "Louis Vuitton" perfume on Ebay right now. It's called "Louis Vuitton". Looks counterfeit to me. But a counterfeit of what? Are counterfeiters producing their own original items now? What's next? Counterfeit, counterfeit?