Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Blog Entries

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Oct. 2, 2010 ★★★ AMBER

I'm in the uncreative Ambre Sultan, but it's kind of a big deal for me because I really don't like it (hides...) and this seemed like a perfect excuse to force myself to wear it and get to know it better...

Oh, and welcome to suz894!
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Ambre Sultan for me, too. Damn I love it. Especially after it dries down, about an hour into it. THAT is when it gets good.

Fourth scent for me today; I just found today's sniff & speak thread. Glad I did. Ambers are always among my favorites.

The very nice Private Collection Amber Ylang-Ylang for my SnS scent. It is indeed a great balanced amber, vanilla, and sandalwood and wonderful for the cool evening. It is a not-too-strong but classy amber scent. Got the spritz sample from a generous basenoter.

(My E M Rajasthan from earlier in the day is a slightly spicier, slightly sweeter oriental with a slight traditional Indian perfume feel to it... with amber as well... so it's my secondary SnS scent.)
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

My first encounter with amber was about twenty years ago, when my boyfriend of the time gave me a little golden chest for my birthday. Inside was a little lump of something (it looks like a rock but is much softer) that he brought from Morocco - turns it was drenched in amber. I still have and it still gives off a very strong smell!

I am a lover of light and airy, citrusy scents, so I had feared this month's SNS would turn out to be a chore - it wasn't at all. I wore "L'Eau d'Ambre" by L'Artisan Parfumeur and it was really nice to have a more sensual and earthy feel to my scent for a change. That said, amber does feel a bit too oriental to me, and for some reason too 80ies. I can't help it, it reminds me of women like Joan Collins, wearing way too much makeup, with helmet hair and so on...

Basenotes Plus

I was twin scented with Haunani yesterday evening

Voile d'Ambre by Yves Rocher's is a nice sweet ,oriental ambery !Fine aroma with wonderful notes !Lasting power is great
    LOVE IS BEST http://sophiloves.simplesite.com/429114763
    " I think part of my success as an editor came from never worrying about a fact, a cause, an atmosphere. It was meprojecting to the public. That was my job. I think I always had a perfectly clear view of what was possible for the public. Give 'em what they never knew they wanted." DiANA VREELAND
    Currently wearing: Allure Sensuelle by Chanel

Well I went with my beloved Ambre Sultan. Strange but true, I even received two compliments on it in different stores. One total stranger ask who is wearing something lovely. It was me. Asked me what it was etc. The other was a sa who I know casually.

I hate the sweet sugary amber which many houses bring out. But AS is dark and dirty.
    DONNA

Amber Of The Evening was Slava Zaitsev's Maroussia, thanks to the timely Mme. D B.

Top Notes: aldehydes, bergamot, orange blossom, peach
    Mid Notes: heliotrope, jasmine, rose, lily-of-the-valley, orchid, iris, tuberose, ylang-ylang
    Base Notes: amber, benzoin, cedar, civet, musk, sandalwood, tonka bean, vanilla

Sounds like a huuuge floral, doesn't it, but on me those basenotes come out to play pretty fast. Think baltic amber. A velvet bag of weighty amber beads, stuffed into the pocket of a fur coat. This is definately not a puffy fluffy warm comfy amber, it has a dryness and austerity under all those plush ingredients that I find fascinating as the weather starts to cool.
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

Yesterday I wore Neil Morris' Burnt Amber for the SnS....I sniffed, but never spoke, so here I am today!

The listed notes for this wonderfully rich and smokey amber are:

Plum Blossom
    Black Pepper
    Amber
    Smoke
    Oud
    Castoreum
    Oak

A highly unlikely choice, considering my usual tendencies, but this one is superb! According to Neil, our own Ida Meister (chayaruchama) is credited with the addition of Plum Blossom - and truthfully, I think THAT's what makes Burnt Amber so friendly for me. BA starts off without a hint of sweetness, then as it wears and develops, a slight sweetness appears - like a wonderful suprise! It is smokey, and burnt smelling. The animalic castoreum plays an important role here as well...and I love that the wooded base is Oak! If you like your amber steamy, smokey, rich and not gourmand-y (like Amber Sultan) you would do well to give Burnt Amber a test run! Perfect for Autumn and Winter.

Just sampled "Geste" by Humiecki + Graf which also has amber in it and I have to say it is amazing! It dances between sultry and fresh, warm and clean. Very beautiful!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

How rude am I to not show up to a party for which I should be playing host? As punishment, I'm flogging myself with scent strips of crappy celebrity scents.

I've enjoyed reading everybody's posts. How I do adore you. Welcome to the fun, suz894. Rest assured, you can't go wrong reporting whatever it is you smell or like.

Jo Malone Dark Amber & Ginger Lily
    This sweet-leaning amber sneaked into my affections this past year. Since the middle of summer it has become the end-of-the-day scent I squirt on my hand to sniff while winding down in front of the TV. The top notes include a cooling presence, and I don't know to what to attribute this. Rather than over analyze what's what, I'm just going to enjoy the whole effect and hope I don't grow tired of DA&GL as I did Ambre Narguile.
    SEE IT NOW: BASENOTES DENVER MEETUP, THE MOVIE -- click here
    Currently wearing: Boucheron by Boucheron

Blog Entries

Hi Quarry, welcome to the party! Today l'm comparing Ambra Aurea on the right wrist, with Tom Ford's Amber Absolute on the left. l had a feeling when l first tested them individually that they were quite similar, & indeed they are! They have a similar woody opening, & are both thick, rich & resinous ambers, although l would say the TF has a touch more smoke & incense. These two are edging into the lead on my list of ambers, & l'm looking forward to some more layering experiments too.

l have a sample of Manoumalia l haven't tested yet, must admit l didn't notice it had an amber note, l got it because l love tropical flowers! Might give that a go later this evening.

l compared Ambre Precieux with Note Ambree a couple of days ago; they too have a similar opening, but AP is softer & creamier, while NA is more floral/woody. AP for me is a lovely comfort scent, while NA is more suitable for going out, & has the edge in terms of FBW-ness.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Getting here a day late, but I love this thread. All's I have is Patchouli leaves (montale) that fits the amber bill, unless vintage L"origin (coty) does. Does it? I just couldn't wear Patchouli Leaves today, but I did try to spray my husband with it when he went out the door for National Guard weekend. He really protested, yet I got a little on him. Just picture a guy in his army suit, new haircut (almost bald from it) running from me!

I'm wearing:
    Imperial Opoponax
    Notes:
    opoponax (sweet myrrh), amber, vanilla, sandalwood, benzoin, citrus

(les Nerdises) just hoping this fits the Amber category. Sent a sample last year to my mom and she really liked it, which surprised me because she is a committed vintage Shalimar fan.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Eliza; 3rd October 2010 at 06:49 PM. Reason: wanted to put in the notes.
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

Hi all! l'm wearing Ambra Nera by Farmacia SS. Annunziata (which doesn't seem to get many mentions here) on the left wrist, for comparison with Ambra Aurea by Profumum on the right wrist. Ambra Nera starts off
    thank you Teardrop. I looked this up on lucky scent- Ambra Nera by Farmacia SS and I'm very interested in it. Thank you for trying it out. I like the fact that it gets powdery. I love Powder aromas.

spraying army husband update- I just got a call from my army husband and he said I upset some people at the armory by spraying some perfume on him. (He doesn't know it was Patchouli leaves). One lady asked if it was "ACts" that he was wearing. Maybe I heard it wrong over the phone?? Acts ?? Guess I embarrassed him pretty good, sure didn't mean too, but if a man can't wear Patchouli Leaves (montale) to the armory, where can he wear it?
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

Quarry, I noticed you are a fan of Jo Malone overall - as am I! Wearable, good quality, nice variety & interesting! This range of frags is underrated - IMO.

I've enjoyed all the posts. For Sunday, I'm going with MPG Ambre Precieux, my all-time favorite amber. It is everything I want an amber to be. I especially love the way the lavender, herb and spice elements add interest and balance. Notes (from Luckyscent) include myrtle, lavender, amber, vanilla, nutmeg, ambergris, peru balsam, and tolu. Picture is of the older-style bottle, the one I have:

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    Quarry, I noticed you are a fan of Jo Malone overall - as am I! Wearable, good quality, nice variety & interesting! This range of frags is underrated - IMO.
    Yepper, yepper.
    I think if everyone here wore their amber-connected scents in a room all at once, we'd actually harmonize fairly well.
    SEE IT NOW: BASENOTES DENVER MEETUP, THE MOVIE -- click here
    Currently wearing: Boucheron by Boucheron

A bleu <3 is a happy <3

I'm making an entire weekend of amber! Or so I thought ... more on that later.

The weather here has been like the perfect fall weather. Cooler temperatures with bright sunshine. Perfect to wear some amber frags! On Friday, I wore Ambre Sultan, the ultimate kick-ass amber! Many of you know it and love it too. It was just a pleasure to sniff it all day long ... and it does last all day long.

Saturday I wore Ambre Russe, another favorite here on Basenotes. Ambre Russe is a boozy, incense-y amber scent with hints of tea and leather. Sounds weird, but it works and it's amazing!

Sunday, I found a sample deep down in the sample box labeled Ambre Cannelle. I don't remember wearing this before, so I thought it would be perfect to sample today. Hmmmm .... color me confused! It's a blast of cinnamon and I think that cinnamon singed my smell receptors, because that is all I can smell! Burried underneath the cinnamon is a hint of amber ... but wait! Is it really amber or something else? Off to read the reviews here on Basenotes ... Even more confusion, because about half the reviewers smell amber, the other half smell ambergris. The notes pyramid isn't really any help either, a few sources say amber in the basenotes, a few say ambergris. An hour later, still strongly cinnamon, but I'm beginning to side with the ambergris reviewers. There is the hint of the saltiness that I associate with ambergris. Ambre Cannelle is very pleasant even if it isn't exactly an amber fragrance. Just be sure you like cinnamon!
    Currently wearing: Hypnse by Lancme

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza View Post
    spraying army husband update- I just got a call from my army husband and he said I upset some people at the armory by spraying some perfume on him. (He doesn't know it was Patchouli leaves). One lady asked if it was "ACts" that he was wearing. Maybe I heard it wrong over the phone?? Acts ?? Guess I embarrassed him pretty good, sure didn't mean too, but if a man can't wear Patchouli Leaves (montale) to the armory, where can he wear it?
    Oh dear Eliza,
    The brand you mis-heard was "Axe", a line of drugstore body sprays. Some scents really project on fabric. I can envision the armory scene- Next time, try to get him coming out of the shower (averts eyes, after all he is YOUR husband)
    Currently wearing: Queen by Queen Latifah

Basenotes Institution

I totally missed participating in the Amber Fest this weekend

((hanging head in shame))

I promise tomorrow, if the weather cooperates, it'll be Youth Dew Amber Nude by Lauder and/or Amber Absolute by Tom Ford.

Since I used up my bottle of Ambre Sultan, and haven't replaced it, Mr. Fords amber prominent scents have filled it's shoes nicely.

Blog Entries

Wore Manoumalia last night; l got lots of tiare & coconut with a whisper of creme de bananes, the vetiver was very subtle on me. lt's creamy & smooth with a soft sillage, but l didn't really detect any amber, just a touch of smoke in the base after 5-6 hours. lt's a lovely tropical frag, but l prefer lntense Tiare over this, it's richer with much more sillage & longevity. l'll save the rest of my sample to try in warmer weather, it might "bloom" more in summer l think.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Since it was me who brought Manoumalia into this event I just want to confirm that teardrop is of course right - this is absolutely a floral scent, creamy and tropical for sure. Expectations of amber should be low. Even if that base comes out pretty strong on me, its generally not a dominant characteristic on this one.