Code of Conduct
    DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Default A Berry Accord In Sycomore?

Is it just me or has anyone else noted a deliciously rich berry accord braided into the smoky vetiver note, beginning about 5 minutes and lasting about 20 minutes after applying Sycomore?

I single spritzed both chest and back of one hand with a newly acquired split of Chanel Sycomore. I didn't notice any berry from the sillage coming off my chest, but when I put the back of the spritzed hand close to my nose and sniffed long and deeply as I drew it across my nostrils I noticed more than a hint of a dark, wonderfully rich berry note mixed in with the vetiver. It seems to only be apparent on direct sniffing of the spritzed surface, and not in the sillage. It reminded me somewhat of the smell of the dark-berry oblong hard candies my grandmother used to offer guests, ones that came in a squat metal can-like container filled with mixed colors and flavors of these hard candies with a soft, chewy interior.

I am interested in any comments.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Default Re: A Berry Accord In Sycomore?

To my nose I detect a fruit accord in Sycomore as well. In my perception, however, i associate this note to the smell of cooked pineapple ! And I agree with you that it is apparent on direct sniffing of the spritzed surface.

This makes sense - just happened to have some in front of me and there's a definitely a perky bright note in there - it makes me think of those very small tough dry berries (not sure what they're called) rather than lusher raspberry or blackberry notes. I am not a vetiver fan at all but Sycomore is okay for me - possibly because altho it is dry it seems to have a brighter more positive outlook, so to speak, than some of them.

It must be the pink pepper on it.
    On me this note isn`t proeminent - what i get is a nice dry vetiver and pepper accord.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Thanks for the comments jss, mr. reasonable and rickbr. I don't recall reading any mention of a discernable fruit note in the Reviews.

JaimeB in his Basenotes Review lists the Scent Pyramid as:

Top notes: Bergamot, Neroli
    Heart notes: Ylang-ylang, Rose, Jasmine, Honeysuckle
    Bottom notes: Cedar, Violet, Tobacco, Sandalwood, Musk

Maybe it is the Honeysuckle I am smelling but to me it is, as Mr. Reasonable said, the 'tough, dry berry' note I seem to find just as the Heart Notes begin

I do see Pink Pepper in the notes on a couple of sites. Pink Peppercorns are in fact a berry, so that very well may be what you're smelling.
    ďLove is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.Ē
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Pink pepper is listed as one of the notes of Sycomore at the chanel website:

A rich-wood fragrance with a noble character -- like the Sycomore tree that inspired it -- created by CHANEL Master Perfumer Jacques Polge in 2008. At the heart of the scent: Vetiver, with an elegant Sandalwood note and dashes of Cypress, Juniper and Pink Pepper, for an earthy, warm and enveloping, yet subtle presence.

kbe,

I smell what youíre talking about, but I donít smell any genuine fruitiness. I just smell what Iím describing below:

Chanel uses the best iris in the world in their best fragrances, and Sycomore is a part of that group. That high quality iris can put out a buttery, velvety richness with fruity undertones, and considering that some vetivers also have an underlying fruitiness, it isnít surprising that you smell it. The quality iris can be almost flesh-like, giving the fragrance a voluptuous depth. There are also all kinds of esters that give various fruity smells, and itís possible that what youíre smelling comes from that. Sycomore also contains juniper berries, and the berries of the juniper shrub have an earthy pine smell that is slightly fruity and crisp; a fresh, rich-balsamic, woody-sweet and pine needle-like odor reminiscent of evergreen.

To clarify: The iris in Sycomore is mainly just there to give it the qualities I mentioned above. The purpose is to enhance the fragrance, not to smell like iris (and thatís good because Iím not into iris prominent scents).The same goes for many other fragrances. Iris is one of the most important ingredients in perfumery. The best stuff is extremely expensive, and few fragrance houses are willing to spend the money on it. Chanel and Guerlain still use a lot of it.

Sycomore is incredibly rich and natural, as plush and round as any woods fragrance I know. Polge is a great perfumer, but I donít think Sycomore would have happened without Sheldrakeís massive knowledge about raw ingredients (heís rumored to be one of the best). Thatís probably why Chanel hired him.

Whatever the deal is, it's probably the most handsome fragrance I know, and itís one of my favorite fragrances right along with Patou pour Homme and a couple of others.

-- A partial list of notes for the current Sycomore (2008) is: Bergamot, Vetiver, Cypress, Juniper, Pink Pepper, Incense, Sandalwood, Amber, Burning Woods

-- JaimeBís pyramid has to do with original Sycomore (1930). Very different fragrance. You can read more about it here:
    http://1000fragrances.blogspot.com/2...e-vintage.html

^ +1, I was about to suggest that it might be the rich, milky sweetness of the iris that you smell, but Pluran beat me to it!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Canwillcorfe and rickbr: I saw the note listing pink pepper in Sycomore but I am quite familiar with that smell (hay, old cut grass), Brazilian pepper (pink pepper 'Florida Holly'), as it is one of the non-native introduced flora growing wild in this area of south Florida. It is considered a 'pest' plant and on the State of Florida "To Eradicate" list. I don't think what I am smelling is pink pepper.

Pluran and LiveJazz: Yes, most probably the iris. I hadn't considered that it was but Pluran your post makes a strong case for it being the scent I detect. Thanks for the detailed mini-review.

Sycomore is fast moving up into the very short list of frags I would grab and attempt to save in case of fire, flood, Category 5 hurricane etc.

I'm excited to finally try it. Now that there's small bottles available I can conceivably purchase it!
    ďLove is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.Ē
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking