Code of Conduct

Default CDG Laurel + Bois d'Orage/French Lover: Similar?

I was trying to think of what CDG Laurel reminded me of when smelling it. Well.. besides bay leaves!

It has a earthy green pungency that seems very natural and it took me a few days to resolve the connection I was sensing. Bois d'Orage! Sadly, my sample of Bois d'Orage is empty and there's actually no scent left in the vial so I can't do a direct comparison.

Does anyone else get any similarities between the two? Which do you like better? I do remember like Bois d'Orage quite a bit for its interesting juxtaposition of earthy naturalness and yet urban chic. Laurel seems to fall more on the side of earthy naturalness and doesn't seem quite as refined and chic.. and yet, that may in the end be a plus for it, as far as I'm concerned.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on these two very green fragrances!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: CDG Laurel + Bois d'Orage/French Lover: Similar?

I own Bois D'Orage and like it very much. I've sampled Laurel several times.
    I like the dry and yet somewhat creamy notes in Bois, excellent resin, incense & wood. I enjoy wearing it and don't get tired of it.
    Every time I sample Laurel, I get the same reaction. First, I really enjoy the up-front pungent green earthy herbal notes. They are excellent. But then over time, I find the scent is a little bit repetitive, and I grow slightly tired of it. I think I may grow to appreciate Laurel as I keep trying it -- it is very close to what I consider to be a great scent for me.
    Of the two, I find Laurel to be greener.
    Agree that Laurel is more bold & pungent, not as chic as Bois.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

YES!!! Finally someone agrees with me. Back when Laurel came out and there was the ongoing thread about it, I stated that my initial impression was that it was very similar to Bois d'Orage. I don't recall anyone agreeing with me, but I absolutely see a very striking resemblance.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Cool, good to know I'm not the only one.

Which do you prefer mtg?

One of these days I've got to give my sample of Laurel a full on wearing rather than a mere arm testing. I'm worried that, like Odysseum, I'll find it a bit too linear and tiresome.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Basenotes Institution

Honestly I get a huge blast of angelica from French Lover, which I do not get from Scent Two: Laurel.

I prefer the CdG, it has an intense spiciness that I am drawn towards whereas the Malle seemed more 'serious' and 'masculine'...not a bad thing just seemed like it wasn't my style.

I'm wearing Bois D'Orage today and I humbly admit that yes, there is quite a similarity to CdG Laurel. For me, it lies in the prominent galbanum note, a very crunchy green vibe. Once that green gong has stopped vibrating, Bois settles into a very nice and subtle scent, less herbal than Laurel.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    ...Once that green gong has stopped vibrating, Bois settles into a very nice and subtle scent, less herbal than Laurel.
    I love that description Ody.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Cool, good to know I'm not the only one.

Which do you prefer mtg?

One of these days I've got to give my sample of Laurel a full on wearing rather than a mere arm testing. I'm worried that, like Odysseum, I'll find it a bit too linear and tiresome.
    I've sort of fallen out of love with French Lover, but I'd still take it over Laurel. While I do like peppery scents, Laurel is a bit of an overdose on that note for me.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense