Code of Conduct

Default New Forum Suggestion: Perfumers Board

The other day I was thinking about how I really like to learn about the perfumer behind a scent, and how odd it is that Basenotes, a forum dedicated to all things perfume, does not have a specific board for the discussion of perfumers. It would be like a music forum having areas to go to discuss individual songs or albums, but not the bands or musicians that authored them!

I find that it is often possible to begin to understand a perfumer's style and trademark accords/techniques/approaches if one looks into a number of their compositions and analyzes them closely. I'd love to be able to discuss all of this with everyone in a more structured fashion than just a haphazard thread here or there on the MFD which would quickly get buried, thus my proposal that we open a new forum specifically for discussion of the perfumers.

I don't know what the best format for the board would be. My initial thoughts are that it should be alphabetized like the Note Pad Forum, but instead of limiting it to one thread per perfumer, my suggestion would be that every thread would need to start in the form of: PerfumerName:Thread Title. Any posts that were not made in such a fashion could be edited by a mod to prepend the perfumer's name to the thread. I think this would work better than the single thread approach of The Note Pad Forum (not saying that that approach doesn't work there, I think it's perfect for The Note Pad forum!) because it would allow a separation of topics relating to a single perfumer instead of them all being clustered in one thread, and yet with the perfumer's name at the beginning of every thread about the perfumer, and with the forum being alphabetized, it would be easy to find a discussion about whatever perfumer you are looking for.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions or comments are welcome!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: New Forum Suggestion: Perfumers Board

Perfumer Name: Perfume Name

example:

MAURICE ROUCEL: Musc Ravageur

....comments.....

Would be nice to read postings by Ellena, for instance, but if the novice fans take part in the discussions, the gurus will run away soon.

I didn't mean it as a place where the perfumers themselves would post, although that would be excellent. I also didn't intend for it to be specifically about the fragrances of a given perfumer, although if one were to post about a particular fragrance of that perfumer then the format: Maurice Roucel: Musc Ravageur would definitely be appropriate.

My thoughts were that it could be a board where we discuss different aspects of a given perfumer. Their style.. their influences. Common threads or notes we see in their blends, etc.

For instance:

Jean Claude-Ellena: Water color minimalism
    ---
    Many of Ellena's creations have a minimalistic, sheer, weightless and ethereal quality to them. To my nose, this approach comes off as not only transparent but analogous to water colors in painting due to the seamless transitions and softness of the notes present. I also sense a 'water color' approach to a number of Olivia Giacobetti's fragrances, but I feel their styles differ in a number of way... (etc)
    ---
    and so on.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I think it's a great idea but where and how it's implemented is clearly the question. We already have the ability to click on a perfumer and see his/her other work, which is an informative start - before I even joined basenotes as a member I did a lot of looking around that way. (Hint to anyone new to basenotes - search functions are a good thing). A forum for discussion of each perfumer's styles and the ability to post links to interviews all 'under one roof' would be a welcome addition to the brain-trust here.

Blog Entries

l think this is a brilliant idea! As a relative newcomer l'm already starting to notice patterns & correlations between perfumers & the fragrances l like, & l would love to learn more. l'm not sure what is meant though by the gurus "running away" if the novice fans take part in the discussions. Aren't we all here to learn from each other??
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I like all of the ideas presented here. Would really love to hear from the perfumers themselves occasionally. Just for them to leave a brief message about a specific fragrance they created would be fun to read.
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by Rosehavn View Post
    I like all of the ideas presented here. Would really love to hear from the perfumers themselves occasionally. Just for them to leave a brief message about a specific fragrance they created would be fun to read.
    Just the slight chance that such a board may actually draw comments from the actual perfumers has me drooling! Can we make this happen?!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I like the idea of having a separate board for discussion of perfumers. I would say that this is almost a must have!

I know there are threads and posts in the Fragrance Discussion forums about perfumers and some of their creations, but I think it would be very interesting and useful to have this info in one place.

For the format I suggest simplicity with one thread per perfumer. After all, it is a board for discussion of perfumers, and it would be more convenient to have discussion of all their perfumes in one place rather than scattered across different threads.

This would certainly be more useful and informative than the recently created Pure Malt board!

noggs

I've never started a thread and won't start now, but I'm itching to post on it, so hurry up.
    Reformulation without information is fraud. Call the police.