Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1

    Default Observations about designer vs. niche

    Hey guys:

    I kinda notice something about descriptions about designer vs. niche. When someone describes a designer frag, it sometimes sounds horrible, but somehow, it's pretty good. Like Bulgari Black (rubber and vanilla) or Encre Noire (burning forest after a rain). However, sometimes niche sounds great, but falls short. Like Fumerie Turque (honey smoked tobacco) or Neil Morris Red Sky (the smell of rock climbing). Anybody else feel the same way about frag descriptions?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Observations about designer vs. niche

    I don't distinguish describing a fragrance about being niche or commercial. I never did it here nor elsewhere and hope will never do.
    I just let my nose be the judge. Judgement and description of a fragrance is not a simple thing to do, you have to evaluate the composition style and also the quality of the raw materials and then lasting power, projection etc...
    It has to be said that both commercial and niche scents can be original for their formula and composition style but in general niche have mor budget dedicate to high quality raw materials and less to the ad campaign.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Observations about designer vs. niche

    I have noticed that niche fragrances get 'favorable' descriptions here. I don't know if there's a bias against designer scents specifically, but the niche brands do get a lot of love. Just my observation...

  4. #4

    Default Re: Observations about designer vs. niche

    In the case of niche frags, I guess that their marketing policy (though I don't have any official, precise data on this) is often based on "style over substance", though many niche frags are masterpieces worth every penny of their often lavishly high prices

    However, it also frequently happens that the designer segment of the fragrance market might provide an almost unlimited supply of underrated frags with great notes, projection, quality standards, longevity, though their low or moderate price, name, brand image seems to speak against it

  5. #5

    Default Re: Observations about designer vs. niche

    Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    Hey guys:

    I kinda notice something about descriptions about designer vs. niche. When someone describes a designer frag, it sometimes sounds horrible, but somehow, it's pretty good. Like Bulgari Black (rubber and vanilla) or Encre Noire (burning forest after a rain). However, sometimes niche sounds great, but falls short. Like Fumerie Turque (honey smoked tobacco) or Neil Morris Red Sky (the smell of rock climbing). Anybody else feel the same way about frag descriptions?
    Fumerie Turque doesn`t fall short.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Observations about designer vs. niche

    Not true I believe. If you read more carefully older designer scents get as much praise here as some niche. And there is good reason for it. More recent designer releases are just "products" released to get a piece of the "market" rather than concepts with a strong focus point. I believe that a good fragrance must make immediately one strong association, one strong point. This is a little dangerous because that one point can be unappealing to the majority of buyers. Niche fragrances usually don't have to worry about that because they aren't counting on mass appeal. Some designer scents manage to make this "one point", others are lost in an effort to be "something for everyone". In any case there is no bias towards niche. Just a case of too many recent designer releases being boring.
    Now blogging about Christos for Men by Christopher Chronis http://wp.me/13WRd

    Vintage Jacomo Eau Cendree available for sale

  7. #7

    Default Re: Observations about designer vs. niche

    I'll say that I've been greatly disappointed in the vast number of niche frags I've smelled. There is plenty of fawning over them here and I guess my nose isn't quite refined enough to appreciate them to the extent that fellow BNers do. I'm just a lowly designer frag hack!
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Observations about designer vs. niche

    Quote Originally Posted by cpk View Post
    Not true I believe. ...................................... In any case there is no bias towards niche. Just a case of too many recent designer releases being boring.
    I'd agree with your perception as of now, but that wasn't always the case. From five or six years ago, till a year or two ago, this board went nuts on niche scents and was very anti designer scents.

    I'd watch in dismay as some 16 or 17 year old would post about what he should wear to high school, and get responses about buying some Creeds or other.
    Renato

  9. #9

    Default Re: Observations about designer vs. niche

    I understand people being biased. But that "language" aspect, no, it's subjective I must say.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Observations about designer vs. niche

    What I find is that people tend to be more forgiving with niche scents. They'll try to justify some major flaw as a form of artistic expression or something, whereas with a designer they'd just freely call it as they see it... "this scent sucks because of major flaw x!"

    The general attitude towards niche is more forgiving here. People will try them multiple times in an attempt to understand them, whereas this is generally not the case with designers. Also, I think many of the simpler niche scents that end up gaining some popularity here (not a great example, but L'homme de Coeur comes to mind), may have been written off as "another simple and unoriginal" designer scent, if it came out from say, Boss or Ralph Lauren.
    ***For sale:

    Iris Pallida 50ml

    Ungaro I 75ml

    and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

  11. #11

    Default Re: Observations about designer vs. niche

    Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    I don't distinguish describing a fragrance about being niche or commercial. I never did it here nor elsewhere and hope will never do.
    I just let my nose be the judge. Judgement and description of a fragrance is not a simple thing to do, you have to evaluate the composition style and also the quality of the raw materials and then lasting power, projection etc...
    It has to be said that both commercial and niche scents can be original for their formula and composition style but in general niche have mor budget dedicate to high quality raw materials and less to the ad campaign.
    Precisely! You can ignore the ad copy and the reviews. Even note pyramids to an extent. The fact is we don't all perceive things the exact same way, and the only sure way to know if you'll like it is to try it yourself.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Observations about designer vs. niche

    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    I'll say that I've been greatly disappointed in the vast number of niche frags I've smelled. There is plenty of fawning over them here and I guess my nose isn't quite refined enough to appreciate them to the extent that fellow BNers do. I'm just a lowly designer frag hack!
    Perhaps your nose is too refined. I've smelled a huge number of niche scents, and while some are really noteworthy, I'd rate the majority as something I'm uninterested in - especially the supposed unisex ones.

    Back in the old days, unisex scents were made up mainly of neutral notes - the type that either men and women could comfortably wear (e.g. citrus ones), that is, by the vast majority of the fragrance buying public who have no difficulty distinguishing masculine and feminine scents.

    But niche unisex ones were different - they were made up of almost equal proportions of notes that would typically be called masculine and feminine. And the proportions varied slightly so that a scent may have smelled a tad more feminine or a tad more masculine. To my mind, while some of them were interesting, people here were overly intrigued with this new style.

    The niche scents I have liked most were usually those where their makers asserted them as being masculine from the outset.

    I've got lots of niche scents, but far more designer ones than I have listed in my wardrobe. In general, the biggest difference between the two is that the designer ones still have pronounced strength at the end of the working day, while most niche ones are pretty weak or have conked out completely.
    Regards,

  13. #13

    Default Re: Observations about designer vs. niche

    To me, personally, I fail to see a real difference between niche and designer. I've given up on trying to discern the two. It's all about the fragrance itself and whether or not I enjoy it.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

    Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

  14. #14
    Hollandaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oakland, California
    Posts
    1,120
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Observations about designer vs. niche

    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    What I find is that people tend to be more forgiving with niche scents. They'll try to justify some major flaw as a form of artistic expression or something, whereas with a designer they'd just freely call it as they see it... "this scent sucks because of major flaw x!"
    Almost in the sense of, "It's not a bug, it's a FEATURE!" with the programming world?

  15. #15

    Default Re: Observations about designer vs. niche

    In general, niche will smell more natural but will be simpler (and more "unisex") with a focus on a couple of notes or an accord (which are well articulated or "legible"). Designer will be more complex, though more blended. The old designer ones tended to be more natural, and the most complex; I generally prefer these frags to today's niche or designer, because you get legibility, naturalness, "masculine" base notes, and if you have patience you can usually get them at great prices.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Observations about designer vs. niche

    Designer or niche?
    I like some of iche
    If they make me feel riche
    And don't make me itche.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Observations about designer vs. niche

    Quote Originally Posted by buzzley View Post
    Designer or niche?
    I like some of iche
    If they make me feel riche
    And don't make me itche.
    Hey... that's pretty good you son of a biche....
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

  18. #18

    Default Re: Observations about designer vs. niche

    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    Hey... that's pretty good you son of a biche....
    Oh, geeech

Similar Threads

  1. Designer VS. Niche..!
    By Le Grand Duc in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 11th March 2012, 12:22 PM
  2. Designer, Niche and ?
    By funraiser18 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 3rd May 2009, 08:00 AM
  3. from designer to niche back to designer
    By Basteri in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16th December 2008, 03:36 PM
  4. is niche a better value than designer?
    By ands in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 26th April 2008, 08:03 AM
  5. Niche vs Designer
    By jellybean1973 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12th October 2007, 09:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000