Code of Conduct

Default Compliment Tracking - Do You Keep a Log? (or is that just me)

Call it silly or narcissistic, but for the last 2 months I have been keeping a log of which fragrances in my collection receive compliments. It doesn't change the rate or frequency with which I wear fragrances, but it does help me decide what fragrances are most appropriate for different settings. Any other crazies like me out there?

Default Re: Compliment Tracking - Do You Keep a Log? (or is that just me)

Though I don't do this deliberately, it sometimes involuntarily happens to me to mentally keep track about the compliment-getting frags, but I have never written it down a log or so

Yes.....

Mine is zero. I have never gotten a compliment from anybody on any scent I was wearing. There is no need to write it down.

Maybe you should spray more scent on yourself. That's pretty strange to me. In the last month I've received more than 10 or so. I get compliments most regularly when I'm going out but lately I've found a signature scent that gets them sometimes when I'm just wearing it as my SOTD. How much to you regularly use? You should also spread it around. Behind ears, front of neck, wrists, chest, back of neck...You don't need to spray everywhere but I would mix it up.

Could be what you're wearing as well...I can't see your wardrobe so its hard to say...

I work at a restaurant so I am always near people. I bought Bleu de Chanel a week ago and kept a mental log of the number of compliments I have received by it. On me, it has good sillage for about 3-4 hours and then it pretty much stays on the neck until it fades away at the 6 hour mark.

Since last week, I have received a total of 18 compliments.

Basenotes Institution

If I kept a log of the number of compliments I get from people, it would be very boring reading and virtually empty !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I haven't gotten too many, but if I start to then I definitely would! It'd be interesting to see if I can find any links between them.
    Last edited by CanwllCorfe; 30th September 2010 at 06:06 PM.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Yeah, I use an Excel Spreadsheet. I have about 30 or so bottles and I wear each about once a month. I've even decided on a point system: 2 points for comments made on a SOTD and 1 point for compliments received while out on the town or at a special engagement. It is my belief that one is more likely to receive a compliment when going out than when going about one's daily activities. People just seem to notice more often. Or perhaps its the fact that the fragrance has been complemented by a nice outfit. Either way, I weight the points so that compliments through out my average day are worth more.

Interesting results thus far...

no but angel men is definately one that has worked for me.

Whoops! I meant to say I haven't gotten too many. Haha! I said the complete opposite. Woww
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Quote Originally Posted by timkm1 View Post
    Yeah, I use an Excel Spreadsheet. I have about 30 or so bottles and I wear each about once a month. I've even decided on a point system: 2 points for comments made on a SOTD and 1 point for compliments received while out on the town or at a special engagement. It is my belief that one is more likely to receive a compliment when going out than when going about one's daily activities. People just seem to notice more often. Or perhaps its the fact that the fragrance has been complemented by a nice outfit. Either way, I weight the points so that compliments through out my average day are worth more.

Wow. a hint?

No log, but I think all of us mentally track whatever is a hit.

I suppose I do so in my head, not on paper. Like others, I don't receive compliments on a frequent basis. I think my last compliment may have been about 1 or 2 weeks ago (Riverside Drive).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    No log, but I think all of us mentally track whatever is a hit.
    True for me!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I am guessing that compliments may have more to do with how much you apply rather than what you apply. The first time I wore Grey Flannel, I got three compliments. While I like GF, its most remarkable attribute is its strength. Otherwise, I get virtually no compliments.

Yeah, I use an Excel Spreadsheet.
    Huh, and I stopped myself from making a fragrance spreadsheet. It's too much, I tell myself. Design tools and fantasy sports spreadsheets are one thing, but I think I've crossed a line when I start to Excel my bottles...

As for compliments, it also has to do with the environment you're in. I work in a very fashion-conservative technical field, and my co-workers aren't exactly the complimentary types, and I pretty much see the same people every day. I know some days my sillage is intense, and still no comments, either positive or negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    If I kept a log of the number of compliments I get from people, it would be very boring reading and virtually empty !
    Start wearing Dolce and Gabbana Light Blue and Ralph Lauren Blue. Both have gotten me to compliment the wearer, and I'm thinking about getting the latter for myself, which can be found at TJ Maxx/Marshalls quite cheaply.

No log needed here. I've only received compliments on two fragrances: Terre d'Hermes and Sung Homme. Nothing on the rest.

Today I was told I smelt like I had rolled in shit , beat that BIIIIIIATCHES !!!!!!!

Call it silly or narcissistic, but for the last 2 months I have been keeping a log of which fragrances in my collection receive compliments. It doesn't change the rate or frequency with which I wear fragrances, but it does help me decide what fragrances are most appropriate for different settings. Any other crazies like me out there?

Sorry, no offense but I just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Today I was told I smelt like I had rolled in shit , beat that BIIIIIIATCHES !!!!!!!
    What was the fragrance? Would you recommend it to a 20 year old male going to college?
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Blog Entries

I don't have specific numbers but i know what fragrances will get me compliments. My favorite was the other day when a friend asked me what i was wearing, because "I NEED TO BUY THAT!" It was A*Men

Any other crazies like me out there?
    Nope...

Never kept a log or anything. I actually stop wearing a few for getting too many compliments on it. lol
    Compliments are good, but get tired of being asked what I'm wearing.
    Now I do admit I use them when I want attention. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    You might not get any from your perfume, but I bet you get plenty on your beauty.

Call it silly or narcissistic, but for the last 2 months I have been keeping a log of which fragrances in my collection receive compliments.
    I'd call it both silly and narcissistic.

You'd want to keep track of properly significant things in life e.g. giving to a charity or a friend, or achieving a life ambition, completing a Hawaian Ironman, a marathon, whatever...

Keeping track of fragrance compliments, in a spreadsheet? There's real life, and then there's basenotes...

Despite sampling something new almost every day, I've almost never received a compliment. I think the only ones were Pamplelune (I was really sweating that day) and AdP Colognia Intensa (mum).
    NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I never have and probably never will.....Gary

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    I'd call it both silly and narcissistic.

You'd want to keep track of properly significant things in life e.g. giving to a charity or a friend, or achieving a life ambition, completing a Hawaian Ironman, a marathon, whatever...

Keeping track of fragrance compliments, in a spreadsheet? There's real life, and then there's basenotes...
    While I agree with this mostly, this is not something I do fully out of narcissism. I don't look it as, "Look how many compliments I can get." Its more like doing a broad consumer survey than anything. It also confirms my suspicions about which kinds of fragrances get compliments and which don't. I've also found only a few of the fragrances I own can elicit a compliment after 2 hours or so. Most compliments are offered because of the top and middle notes. After that, people don't seem to be impressed with the bases of most fragrances. I'm a scientist by trade and at heart, so analyzing data is just something that I do naturally. As I said, I don't wear the compliment getters anymore often. I almost wear them less, to be honest...

Quote Originally Posted by Naitch View Post
    Sorry, no offense but I just don't get it.
    Its all good. We're all different and I wouldn't expect everyone to understand. Actually the Excel Spreadsheet has been useful for keeping a log of which fragrances I own since BN doesn't have all the fragrances listed, and I don't update my wardrobe here all the time. So it serves more than one purpose.

My spreadsheet would have 2 columns and 2 lines. No need to break out MS Office in my case...

Rive Gauche 1
    SMW 2

Tim, any chance of seeing the results of your recordings????

Yep.

Here is mine:

Ok. I never got single compliment from anyone but my family members and ex-girlfriends and if I got I had to be drunk so I dont remember it anyway.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Sure, I don't mind giving you my results, but remember this is only based on two months of experience. The only comment that I'll make regarding these results is that I haven't had the last 3 bottles on the list for very long but I've worn everything here at least 3 or 4 times. So here are the early results. This will probably be more meaningful and interesting by the end of the year. CH is an easy favorite though...

212 White 1 Animale Animale 1 B*Men
    2 Bvlgari Black
    Burberry
    1 Chic
    1 D&G PH
    1 Dreamer

F Ferragamo 1 F Ferragamo Black 1 Jungle Homme
    L'Homme Sport
    Aramis Life
    M7

NY Gentleman 1 Platinum Egoiste 1 Polo Black 2 Bvlgari PH Soir 1 Rive Gauche
    Touch

Faconnable Stripe 1 Sander for Men 1 Ghost Man
    Very Irresistible 1 CH Men
    Last edited by OlfactoryExperience; 1st October 2010 at 02:53 PM.

Sorry, that didn't come out right...Here's the list again:

212 White 1
    Animale Animale 1
    B*Men 2
    Bvlgari Black
    Burberry 1
    Chic 1
    D&G PH 1
    Dreamer
    F Pour Homme 1
    F Black PH 1
    Jungle Homme
    L'Homme Sp.
    Aramis Life
    M7
    NY Gentleman 1
    Platinum Egoiste 1
    Polo Black 2
    Bvlgari PH Soir 1
    Rive Gauche
    Touch
    Faconnable Stripe 1
    Sander for Men 1
    Ghost Man 1
    Very Irresistible 1
    CH Men 4

Ah thanks, i would be interested in seeing something like this a bit further down the line, like in a years time when the results are more defined, thanks for the post!

Thats pretty cool, I don't use enough different colognes to make a spreadsheet worthwhile. but I love spreadsheets and do use them for almost everything hahha

Personally most compliments come from Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male, that cologne, as everyone knows is a magnet for it.

My GIT doesn't jump off my skin very well and therefore only gets compliments when someone comes very close.

Decided to try out Rochas and Body Kouros.

Quote Originally Posted by Serjery View Post
    I work at a restaurant so I am always near people. I bought Bleu de Chanel a week ago and kept a mental log of the number of compliments I have received by it. On me, it has good sillage for about 3-4 hours and then it pretty much stays on the neck until it fades away at the 6 hour mark.

Since last week, I have received a total of 18 compliments.
    Wow! 18 in the span of only a few weeks is impressive. Sounds like you not only found a good fragrance but also one that works well for your chemistry. There are different schools of thought on that subject, but I believe fragrances do smell differently on different people. I don't know if its completely due to pH differences, but there are noticeable differences in fragrances from one skin to the next.

Anywho, I'm glad you found one that works! By the way, I think Bleu de Chanel is a fine fragrance.

Aventus, judging by its thread, gets TONS of compliments.
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Nah, sounds like too much work. I'm more of a live-in-the-moment kinda guy. I did get a couple of smiles from two young ladies in a train commute earlier today and one of them even inched ever closer towards me. My SotD was Chanel's 31 rue Cambon.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I have had one in my 4 years wearing. Chopped liver here.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

I just take note of when someone makes a comment--good or bad. This is usually from my immediate family.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I have defiently received the most compliments from JPG Le Male. I cant even keep track of how many ive gotten. SO many

Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle on the same day I got my sample. This shit is legendary.

Basenotes Plus

I never keep logs.

I prefer to flush them.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 1st October 2010 at 07:41 PM.

Never have.

BN Wisdom: # of compliments received is generally inversely proportional to the quality and artistry of the scent!

---
    I say this tongue in cheek.. well, sort of.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

It's hard to say when it comes to compliments. There's so many variables! If you wear a fragrance a lot, and get a lot of compliments, it may just mean that the sheer frequency of times you've worn it is why you've received so many compliments on it. Where you wore it and when you wore it could be factors too, as well as how many people that you'd passed while wearing it.
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

While I agree with this mostly, this is not something I do fully out of narcissism. I don't look it as, "Look how many compliments I can get." Its more like doing a broad consumer survey than anything. It also confirms my suspicions about which kinds of fragrances get compliments and which don't. I've also found only a few of the fragrances I own can elicit a compliment after 2 hours or so. Most compliments are offered because of the top and middle notes. After that, people don't seem to be impressed with the bases of most fragrances. I'm a scientist by trade and at heart, so analyzing data is just something that I do naturally. As I said, I don't wear the compliment getters anymore often. I almost wear them less, to be honest...

Its all good. We're all different and I wouldn't expect everyone to understand. Actually the Excel Spreadsheet has been useful for keeping a log of which fragrances I own since BN doesn't have all the fragrances listed, and I don't update my wardrobe here all the time. So it serves more than one purpose.
    Your clarification makes much more sense as I'm in the marketing research business myself. Your post seemed so over the top at first!

i just bought it about 30 minutes ago so i dont have any compliments on it yet, but i forsee Dolce and Gabbana The One getting me ALOT of compliments

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Nah, sounds like too much work...
    Same here.

Seriously though, I think no more than 15 times the past 2 years. These wouldn't include times when people asked what I was wearing, but didn't comment on whether they liked it.
    Last edited by MFJ; 2nd October 2010 at 09:40 AM.

Unbelievable. No, man. I don't do logs, and I really don't even give a sh*t. My girlfriend's getting a big kick out of it though.

"In seduction as in intimidation, intent is everything. A hack from Men's Health, a magazine notable for the pectorals on its cover, wrote to me asking "How can a man maximize the influence of his cologne choices to attract the women he's really interested in?" Efficient mating strategies are good in principle, but this one is doomed. Waste time wondering which cologne pulls better, and your genes will spread only by lucky accident. A perfume should be right for the man, not for the job."

Luca Turin
    Last edited by pluran; 14th October 2010 at 12:43 PM.

Slightly off topic, but I thought this was funny! (top of picture)

Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

I do know one person who keeps a log...

Quote Originally Posted by jonny19 View Post
    i just bought it about 30 minutes ago so i dont have any compliments on it yet, but i forsee Dolce and Gabbana The One getting me ALOT of compliments
    You'll only be getting compliments from people present when you spray the stuff, it smells great but disappears in minutes!

^^dude!! this is so pleasantly weird!!!! i was tihnking the same thing. i thought this had logevity issues when i tested it before, but believe it or not, i applied The One at 6 oclock, and i can still smell it on my skin now at 2:22!!!!! this is a definet pleasant surprise!!

Quote Originally Posted by pour_monsieur View Post
    today i was told i smelt like i had rolled in shit , beat that biiiiiiatches !!!!!!!
    f t w ! ! !

Default Compliment Tracking - Do You Keep a Log? (or is that just me)

Quote Originally Posted by adonis

Lol log lady twin peaks right

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post