Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Looking for fragrances which are NOT 'sexy'

Good day,

I'm looking for recommendations for fragrances which smell good but don't have any 'sexy' vibe to them.
    An example of such a fragrance would be, for me, Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet. Would it be a good idea to look further into the various 'British gentleman' fragrances? Any other ideas?

Thanks for any insight,
    Jan Pieter
    Jan Pieter

Default Re: Looking for fragrances which are NOT 'sexy'

Quote Originally Posted by jpkunst View Post
    fragrances which smell good but don't have any 'sexy' vibe to them.
    I really like Pink Sugar by Aquolina. I don't find it particularly "sexy," but I do have to admit that aside from Tam Dao, it's the only thing I've worn that my husband has actually complimented me about.

You should try Penhaligons English Fern, por example.
    We accept reality easily, perhaps because we intuit that nothing is real...

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    I really like Pink Sugar by Aquolina..
    From reading the reviews and description, this does not seem like an appropriate scent for a 45-year old man (i.e. me). But thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Kakihara View Post
    You should try Penhaligons English Fern, por example.
    English Fern, on the other hand, sounds very interesting. I actually have a Penhaligon's sampler on the way, I hope that this fragrance is included.

Thanks,
    Jan Pieter
    Jan Pieter

I agree with the two Penhaligons. I would say Mugler cologne as well, but it is of a different character. I would tend to think of "clean" fragrances would fit the bill.

On a man like you and of your excellent age, Jan Pieter, all scents will be sexy to women. You better watch out.

I'd say the British gentleman style is a good idea and great place to start. I also think some of the odd and envelope pushing scents by Diptyque might work well also--they smell great but don't come loaded with the smell of bars or coctail parties. Try Ofresia or Oyedo or even Philosykos by Diptyque. They aren't British gentleman style but they're really neat.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Fresh and soapy or traditional colognes are a bit less sultry to me, although I agree that it has more to do with the wearer than the fragrance

Prada Infusion d'Homme, Amber or Infusion d'Iris
    Dior Homme, Eau Sauvage
    Hermes Eau d'Orange Vert, Eau d'Hermes
    Chanel Eau de Cologne
    Aqua di Parma Colonia, Colonia Assoluta
    Guerlain Eau de Guerlain, Eau du Coq

Hugo by Hugo Boss
    Paco Rabbane
    RL Polo Explorer
    Azzaro Chrome

Heritage/Guerlain

Zippo sex vibe, imo.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

When I think of not sexy, I either think of really weird fragrances ( something like CdG Garage, perhaps ), or gentle green fragrances. Exploring the latter category my mind comes up with the following.

Frederic Malle - En Passant

A hyper-realistic lilac fragrance, gentle, green, and naturally cool.

Miller Harris - Fleurs de Sel

An interestingly salty herbal fragrance, effervescent and ethereal. Thyme, rosemary, sage, vetiver and oakmoss are detectable to my nose.

Comme des Garcons - Calamus

This smells to me of a combination of fresh green leaves and old books. It's quite simple, but very light and refreshing.

Eau d'Italie - Eau d'Italie

This is a complex herbal fragrance, strongly green and mossy yet also slightly incensey.

Paestum Rose - Eau D'Italie

This isn't a green fragrance, but if you're ever looking for a restrained, light and masculine rose, this is it. Rose here is modified with pepper, myrrh, cedar, and vetiver.

None of these suggestions are archetypal green gentleman's fragrances, but they're well worth checking out anyhow.

My favorite fougere is probably Fougere Bengale, but it's very extrovert and sexy and not what you're looking for. It's the olfactory equivalent of making out with an Indian restaurant's short-order cook who's wearing an English gentleman's fragrance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GI291976 View Post
    Paco Rabanne
    i think that might be one of THE sexiest fragrances ever made!

almost ANY/ALL Hermes scents IMO are NOT sexy....most of them are very conservative, and don't really have that intangible balls-to-the-wall required by 'sexy' scents.
    Last edited by everso; 4th January 2009 at 08:40 PM.

Gendarme, love the stuff, but it is the ultimate in un-sexy.

Guerlain Vetiver is not particularly sexy to me but smells darn good.

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    i think that might be one of THE sexiest fragrance ever made!

almost ANY/ALL Hermes scents IMO are NOT sexy....most of them are very conservative, and don't really have that intangible balls-to-the-wall required by 'sexy' scents.
    I agree with you. To me Paco Rabane PH is one of the sexiest fragrances for men.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I also think some of the odd and envelope pushing scents by Diptyque might work well also--they smell great but don't come loaded with the smell of bars or coctail parties. Try Ofresia or Oyedo or even Philosykos by Diptyque. They aren't British gentleman style but they're really neat.
    Let me second Chris' suggestion. The following from Diptyque are superb fragrances but I never thought of them as 'sexy' scents. Elegant, great quality scents, and very suitable for a 45 year old gentleman, but not really sexy: L'Eau, Eau de Lierre, Ofresia and Philosykos.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    On a man like you and of your excellent age, Jan Pieter, all scents will be sexy to women. You better watch out.

I'd say the British gentleman style is a good idea and great place to start. I also think some of the odd and envelope pushing scents by Diptyque might work well also--they smell great but don't come loaded with the smell of bars or coctail parties. Try Ofresia or Oyedo or even Philosykos by Diptyque. They aren't British gentleman style but they're really neat.
    I agree with everything he said.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

AromiErotici

Your search will end with Hascish Homme by Veejaga. I guarantee you that you will sexually attract no one wearing this juice. I have never smelled anything like it that calls itself a fragrance for men.

I second the Comme Des Garcons, the original form 1994.It's available at Douglas for sampling. Not really sexy. Yet very unique.

I second the Paestum Rose too, and suggest trying Guerlain Vetiver.
    For sale: Nemo Cacharel 1,7OZ (30ML) 99% full

Off-Scenter

Dry vetiver scents like Givenchy Vetyver, Sel de Vetiver, Vetiver Extraordinaire, and Encre Noir can be very sophisticated without expressing any licentiousness. Clean green scents are also liable to be good candidates for you. Besides the aforementioned Calamus, I'd suggest Diptyque's Virgilio, or even Chanel's Bel Respiro.

The dry, smoky incense of Dzongkha or Avignon make them worth investigating, and I'd also consider Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier's Iris Bleu Gris and Eau d'Italie's Magnolia Romana, both of which are complex and characterful, yet still very "clean."

Another cool green fragrance came to mind - Piver's Cuir de Russie. There is no leather here, just a clean green fragrance with an earthy base.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    The dry, smoky incense of Dzongkha or Avignon
    If dry vetiver and incense are on the table, Biehl's MB03 is another good choice. It's rather like a hybrid between Avignon's frankincense-chamomile accord and CdG 2 Man's vetiver and cedar base.

I'd also recommend Diptyque's herbal-myrrh L'Eau Trois, but the only thing any Basenoter should do on finding a bottle is to ship it to me immediately for safe keeping.

Smells great, and not sexy ?
    ...Bowling Green

Quote Originally Posted by jpkunst View Post
    From reading the reviews and description, this does not seem like an appropriate scent for a 45-year old man (i.e. me). But thanks for the tip!
    How strange! I could have sworn that back in March, the Basenotes directory listed it as unisex.
    (Now whether or not it truly is unisex is up for opinion.)

I think English Fern could actually be pretty sexy in a soapy kind of way.

And, everso, Hermes' Un Jardin en Mediterranee makes me drool.

But, wait, the topic is NOT-sexy. I'd have to agree with Asha. Sometimes it's hard to get beyond the latent sexiness factor, because associations are had to break.
    Last edited by Aiona; 5th January 2009 at 01:48 AM.

Lutens Gris Clair

I don't know TdH seems pretty sexy to me..or people tell me is has a sexy quality...I think most scents on the right person, projected the right attitude can come across that way. But I agree with many that green or fresh type ones may be the ones to do it.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    I don't know TdH seems pretty sexy to me..or people tell me is has a sexy quality...
    Maybe its the ISO E Super in it.

I say, Grey Flannel, Mugler Cologne, SL Chene

Anything sans musk or amber
    Last edited by runstile; 5th January 2009 at 03:20 AM.

CK One - I find nothing sexy about that fragrance -

You can add Mugler Cologne too -
    Last edited by scentimus; 5th January 2009 at 03:28 AM.

I feel these top male fragrances are excellent yet sexually neutral. No?

Rive Gauche pour Homme by YSL

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

Burberry London for Men

Last edited by abc1234; 5th January 2009 at 08:09 AM.

I think Burberry London is a sexy cold weather fragrance so I disagree on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I think Burberry London is a sexy cold weather fragrance so I disagree on that one.
    Hmm..... it seems fairly British type conservative to me though.

The sweetness is London is what I find sexy. London is one that I believe is best when sprayed on fabric. The initial blast of sweetness doesn't last as long as I'd like on the skin.

I find Terre d'Hermes to have some sex appeal. It's not an asexual creation.

The sweetness is London is what I find sexy. London is one that I believe is best when sprayed on fabric. The initial blast of sweetness doesn't last as long as I'd like on the skin.

I find Terre d'Hermes to have some sex appeal. It's not an asexual creation.
    yes. Burberry London's smell is gone within like 20min!!! On fabric it last much much longer.

To my nose, Terre d'Hermmes is even less sexy than London! Maybe we have different definition of "sexiness" ?

There's no accounting for what one might find sexy. Especially because masculine fragrance doesn't emit from aluminum cans in a lab, but on a man himself. What one might think is un-sexy while smelling it from said aluminum can might take on a very sexy vibe on a certain man. Several of the those mention on this thread I find sexy on the right XY specimen.

It might help if you nuanced your question: Do you ask because you want something that won't attract the wrong sort of looks in the office? Because you want something to put you in a certain mood? (ascetic/clinical/ whatever)? Because you are doing a research paper and asking for feedback on such impressions? The replies given to each of those questions would be rather different.

Quote Originally Posted by helg View Post
    Do you ask because you want something that won't attract the wrong sort of looks in the office? Because you want something to put you in a certain mood? (ascetic/clinical/ whatever)?
    My question was more or less because of these two reasons, with the second reason being the most important. I'm not doing a research paper.

Quote Originally Posted by helg View Post
    There's no accounting for what one might find sexy.
    Oh, I know that. The various answers -- many thanks to all who replied, it's much appreciated -- are starting points for me to do my own exploration. In the end, I'm the one who is going to decide if a fragrance smells good and/or 'sexy'.
    Last edited by jpkunst; 5th January 2009 at 01:49 PM.
    Jan Pieter

My wife and I agree. She can't get enough of it. I also think people might think stuffy British may be sexy, as in classy. Of course part of the charm for her is it was my wedding and honeymoon in Italy fragrance.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 5th January 2009 at 02:34 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I suggest the Incense Series from CdG. These are more contemplative than sexy and smell pretty damn good.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

NOT sexy = Unisex
    there are many of them, and easy to find

Generally I don't find pine/incense based fragrances sexy. So, L'Artisan Fou d'Absinthe, Amouage Jubilation XXV came first to my mind.

I went on this quest myself once. I decided on Prada's Infusion d'homme.

I may add Bulgari's Eau The Blanc as well.

Both are spare, minimalist frgrances. Clean without being antiseptic, but modernist rather than opulently gilded as in the traditional aristocratic fragrance.
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

I would consider "Narcisco Rodriguez for Him" to be in the "Not Sexy" category. Smells great, but no sexy vibe at all.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Eau Sauvage
    Acqua di Parma
    Equipage
    Moustache
    Paul Sebastian Design for Men
    English Fern
    Oscar de la Renta pour Homme (the newer stuff -- not de la Renta's pour Lui)
    Clinique Chemistry
    Jockey Club
    Racquets
    Canoe (Masculine, yes. Sexy per se? No.)
    Clinique Happy for Men
    Boucheron pour Homme

And many, many others . . .
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 6th January 2009 at 04:17 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

After a minute considering I would say anything that is not appealing at first sniff. 'Sexy' has got to be somewhat immediate alluring, it has to be a tickling sensation that you feel before even realising what triggers it (all my opinion, obviously and i dont know how fixed that opinion is ).
    So first thing that comes to my mind is Black Jeans, that is to say most things without rubber.

(Since the way we experience first impressions or first sniff differs from person to person the perception of what smells appealing also does which includes the ones we dont initially like(= find sexy))

Paestum Rose will make women like your smell and sniff at you, but they won't want you.

And on my skin it lasts forever.

fountain

eau de guerriere by parfumerie generale

Opus 1870 by Penhaligons, Hugh Parsons Yellow, Eton College by Taylors of Old Bond Street and G.F. Trumper Spanish Leather

+1 Grey Flannel

Scents of Time Ankh is nice but not sexy. Just a subdued, natural smelling incense. I don't find Let Me Play the Lion sexy, either.. instead being comforting.

Prada Infusion d'Homme is another scent which is absolutely not sexy. I'd recommend it, but I don't like it!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Gendarme
    Blenheim Bouquet
    Douro
    Avignon

By definition, I think that fragrance is sensual, which is sexy. But I think there can be a distinction between an office/daytime vibe and an out on the town vibe. But it shows how subjective this all is. An earlier post said that Gendarme is the ultimate in unsexy. To me, it's very sexy. But you know, no one on this sight will barely admit to liking Acqua di Gio, so maybe you could put that in the non-sexy column! To me YSL and Terre Hermes are not very sexy...they seem like bland, typical fragrance. Most seem to think that the fresh scents are not sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    +1 Grey Flannel

Scents of Time Ankh is nice but not sexy. Just a subdued, natural smelling incense. I don't find Let Me Play the Lion sexy, either.. instead being comforting.

Prada Infusion d'Homme is another scent which is absolutely not sexy. I'd recommend it, but I don't like it!
    I disagree with IdH not being sexy, or at least not being capable of being sexy. I think feeling clean, is something that imbues confidence in a man, and through years of association, it has become something that women do find sexy. You don't get much cleaner than IdH, so I think under the right circumstances it does have the ability to come off as sexy.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Dennard View Post
    Guerlain Vetiver is not particularly sexy to me but smells darn good.
    this!!!

This is a funny thread. So refreshing! Thanks for reviving this.

I would say un-sexy are Equipage, Histoires de Parfums Jules Verne 1828, MPG Parfum d'Habit.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I am in agreement with those who said Grey Flannel. in fact, I can attest to it's unsexiness as I am sitting here ALONE watching Monday Night Football!

A bit dated, but I always think of Joop! Homme for this category. Another oldie is Boucheron pour homme. Oxygen (by California North) is another that comes to mind. Any by Yves Rocher (like Altika and Eryo Blue).

I find Kolnisch Juchten intriguing but definitely NOT sexy (unless perhaps you're into lumberjacks who smell a little like roses, leather, and smoke, and have a penchant for barbecuing bacon.) It's fun and a little odd but not sexy. (Of course one of these days I may spritz my honey's favorite pair of Carhartts with it and see what happens when he puts 'em on.)
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

I find Pino Silvestre to be a really agreeable and "grandma-safe" scent, i.e. something you could wear on a Sunday visit at church, followed by dinner at mamma, and long catholic discussions without showing any hint of your hidden desire for banging you hot Italian cousin... It's refreshing, clean, but not ascetic either. Just good wholesome fun.

Traditional Cologne water (4711 or Farina) is the same style, but with Lutheran repression rather than Catholic purity.

In general, very dry, earthy and herbal scents might not be perceived as sexy that often. Crown Perfumery's mens line is surely worth a look; they are discontinued, but very well blended, classy and reserved. Not sexy at all! Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier's style is also distinctively non-sexy, and it's one of the best houses out there. Check out for example Route du Vetiver, Eau des Iles, Racine, Parfum d'Habit, Secret Melange and Centaure.

Some others from the top of my head:

Eau Sauvage
    Guerlain's Vetiver (vetivers in general might work in your quest of becoming less sexy, can't promise, though)
    Baladin (very dry herbal leather)
    Santa Maria Novella's Colonia (when it comes to traditional EdC's, this is one of the most ascetic, so to speak)

Eucris by Geo F. Trumper.

Then you haven't tried Eau D'Hermes... it's probably my 'sexiest' scent apart from Musc Kublai Khan.

Basenotes Plus

Grey Flannel unsexy? I beg to differ. It smells a little austere but authoritative - my GF find this combination rather sexy!

Personally I find rich gourmand scents revolving around chocolate, milk, candies or cakes unsexy 'cuz it only makes me think of 'food'.

I also agree about 4711...nice clean scent, but I don't think it screams "sexy"

1 million - Paco Rabanne