Code of Conduct

Default Am I doing something wrong?

Ok, so I've steadily been using the dreamer for the past week and I can't smell it at all after the initial application. Or hardly anyways. I put it on my wrist one day and I still smelt it several hours later, so its longevity is ok, but it has REALLY poor projection.

No one can tell I'm even wearing anything. I put two sprays on the neck and one on the chest to keep the scent from going way out there during classes, but now I'm wondering if that's even necessary. I feel like going slightly trigger happy with my clothing. I want to be subtle, not ignored. (scent-wise)

How do you guys personally apply cologne? The dreamer?

Default Re: Am I doing something wrong?

Mike- a couple of possibilities

- You may be somewhat anosmic (i.e. scent blind) to some of the notes in The Dreamer. It happens to me with some scents.
    - You may be experiencing olfactory fatigue. Your nose gets so used to the smell it tunes it out.

I've read here a spray to the neck will bring on OF quick and that sprays to the chest at sternum level and on the wrists should be enough to work for personal appreciation and decent sillage yet not fatigue the nose.... from what I've read here.

I love the Dreamer, great frag imho. Women love it. I get alot of compliments on it.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

What I do is put one spray on the base of my neck, one on each wrist and then a spray on my two fingertips (while aiming at my chest for secondary spray) which I dab behind each ear. Perhaps your skin abosrbs scent more than most people's. I would get some feedback from friends on that. If that's the case, just take a little sample vial filled with it to re-apply throughout the day.

There's no reason why you shouldn't smell it. I love The Dreamer & it projects like a madman. The last time I wore it I put 2 sprays on my neck & one spray on each arm. I made a mental note to myself to only do one spray on the neck from now on. The sprayer is a beast on this bottle! It sprays A LOT of juice out at one time so, one spray is good for me & I smell it for hours on end. If I haven't worn it in a while I'll do one spray on my chest then the neck & each arm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Mike- a couple of possibilities

- You may be somewhat anosmic (i.e. scent blind) to some of the notes in The Dreamer. It happens to me with some scents.
    - You may be experiencing olfactory fatigue. Your nose gets so used to the smell it tunes it out.
    This. You simply get used to the same smell and stop smelling it strongly

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    This. You simply get used to the same smell and stop smelling it strongly
    Well that would make logical sense, but I've nonchalantly asked friends if they noticed the cologne and I get a definite no.

Here's an experiment... if there's anyone like a work collegue or family member you see all the time throughout the day (eg weekend, father), try spraying it on them and then see if you or them can smell it. Could be you're anosmic (you still won't smell it), could be olifactory fatigue (you'll still smell it on them then), could be your skin, etc.
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

As a newbie I had the same problem. I think you need to "wire your brain" for frag appreciation that lasts hours, but that's just my opinion of course. If I am correct, though, it probably takes most people a few months. Here's something to try now: Spray once or twice to the chest, a few inches above the navel, wear a button shirt and put it on when you spray so that a little of the blast hits the shirt (not directly). Blow on the area until it's dry while trying not to breathe it in, then go into another room. Then you can take a full breath. Button the shirt up to where you want it, then try to forget about it. If this works, you will get nice wafts now and then, for hours.

As Bigsly suggests, this is always the best way to test a fragrances longevity/smell. You may also wanna consider wearing less, in some cases, like with The Dreamer, less is more.

It may also be where you bought it from, I have heard that there are fakes of this stuff around. Also, if you bought a tester, depending on where you bought it from, some testers can be very bad -- depending on their conditions, if they were kept in a hot/humid warehouse with no a/c for 2 years, etc. If you have any skepticism about the authenticity of your fragrance, I suggest buying or finding a sample of it somewhere, and doing a comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    As a newbie I had the same problem. I think you need to "wire your brain" for frag appreciation that lasts hours, but that's just my opinion of course. If I am correct, though, it probably takes most people a few months. Here's something to try now: Spray once or twice to the chest, a few inches above the navel, wear a button shirt and put it on when you spray so that a little of the blast hits the shirt (not directly). Blow on the area until it's dry while trying not to breathe it in, then go into another room. Then you can take a full breath. Button the shirt up to where you want it, then try to forget about it. If this works, you will get nice wafts now and then, for hours.
    I think this "wiring of the brain" does happen somewhat on a universal scale, but also on a frag by frag basis. I know I've had it happen many times, and I've read a lot of other members saying that often times the first few times they try a scent it seems to disappear quickly, but then on the third or fourth wearing they notice it for much, much longer.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more