Code of Conduct

Question ZINO davidoff in two versions?

i wonder which zino to get - the one where 'davidoff' is printed on the bottle, or the one where it is signature like? is the first mentioned a reformulation on the scent?

Default Re: ZINO davidoff in two versions?

It is not a reformulation just a changing of the Davidoff logo -

thanks for the response! scentimus, are you sure that the content is the same? once i made a mistake with van cleef & arpels and now i am very suspisious...
    actually, it would be a blind buy... i don't have any reference, i just wondered which one is better

Don't get any, go with Cool Water instead.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I have used both versions and there is no noticeable difference. Both are Zino, i.e. fantastic.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

So what's the deal with Zino, is it definitely discontinued?

I wore both and to my nose just the same.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Dependent

Apparently the newer version (block letters -- which I haven't tried yet) smells good, but loses some of the depth and a lot of the longevity of the vintage (cursive letters) which is great.

Cool Water is about as different from Zino as you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Cool Water is about as different from Zino as you can get.
    Agree.

Huge difference. No noticeable sandalwood in the one with Davidoff in block letters. A waste of money, at least for me (I swapped mine off).

I recently bought Davidoff in block letter and had to give it away, smells a bit different and hardly stays on your skin after an hour. I gave it away and currently in pursuit of Zino with cursive letters.

Beware of false advertisement - I got it from this website http://www.cosmeticsnow.co.nz/itemin...tte-spray-75ml where clearly shows the one in cursive letters but they sent me a one with block letters... so again beware!! If you planning in getting it online, I would suggest that you contact the seller first to make sure you get what you after.

I have to agree......
    Despite the first hour of Zino in 'block font' still being pretty good and heavy, after max. 2/3 hrs the stuff is almost all gone and hardly detectable. I use my 125ml bottle for layering it with Heritage edt.
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

A while ago i bought a 125ml bottle with the Block Font, and it smells exactly as i remembered it. Which is AWESOME!!!

First 1.5 hrs it does indeed............

This wasn't reformulated. Have both versions. 1 oz I bought 2 or 3 years ago and just bought a 4.2 oz with the block letters last week. They're identical. Same smell, same projection, and same lasting power. If there is any difference it's so minimal that you'd have to be a profession perfume tester to smell it.
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche (Lemon)

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

lol, some really disagree to this statement though.........

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    This wasn't reformulated. Have both versions. 1 oz I bought 2 or 3 years ago and just bought a 4.2 oz with the block letters last week. They're identical. Same smell, same projection, and same lasting power. If there is any difference it's so minimal that you'd have to be a profession perfume tester to smell it.
    This contradicts the consensus here on the forums. Have you done a skin A/B test?

(Once again, I have not checked out the new bottle's juice. The old is so excellent, and I got 2 backup bottles earlier this year, so I haven't bothered.)

If anyone knows the websites where we can get the originals.. that would help!

This contradicts the consensus here on the forums. Have you done a skin A/B test?

(Once again, I have not checked out the new bottle's juice. The old is so excellent, and I got 2 backup bottles earlier this year, so I haven't bothered.)
    Yes, I've put them both on at the same time and tested them. Can't tell any difference what so ever. I'm not the best on judging the individual notes, but the fragrance as a whole smell exactly the same. The only thing that might be different would be that some notes are more emphasized than others, but I have an average joe nose.
    Summer 2014 favorites

5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)

8. Joop Splash (Fruity)

Wore the Block Letters Zino today. I don't smell any difference with the vintage bottle.
    I still smell it on me pretty good and I applied it +/- 12 hours ago...
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

Basenotes Plus

Wow - this block letter stuff sounds amazing! I have to seek some out! ;-)

Since they smell exactly the same, would anyone want to sell or swap their Vintage bottles?

Please PM me...I would be interested, even though the old juice might be past its expiration date.

Cheers,

ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Again, I ask, why does a change in the font on a bottle automatically equal reformulation around here? Why would the companies change a small part of the packaging when they reformulate the frag?
    Maybe you get a new bottle that is off or has been stored improperly so it smells different from the old one you have. Doesnt that make more sense?
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Dependent

Yes, I've put them both on at the same time and tested them. Can't tell any difference what so ever. I'm not the best on judging the individual notes, but the fragrance as a whole smell exactly the same. The only thing that might be different would be that some notes are more emphasized than others, but I have an average joe nose.
    Okay, so we'll take your answer with a grain of salt then. What about longevity? How did they compare 10 hours in? (Zino cursive lasts at least that long on my skin.)

So what's the deal with Zino, is it definitely discontinued?
    I see it around, and plenty cheap. Apart from places that always seem to have major problems keeping their stock up it's not exactly hard to find, but this could be the reformulation. Personally I dig both versions, but even if the reformulation dies after a few hours the stuff is cheap, so buy an atomizer and sprits up again. Better than paying vintage prices methinks unless you can find the original through normal retail channels or have money to burn.

Just my two cents. I totally respect it for the price and think it's Davidoff's second best ever (Cool Water isn't no.1, Davidoff is) but for me it's something of an also-ran as I've got other scents which give the same vibe, but do it better for me so I won't be rushing to stock up, and when I want classic Davidoff I reach for Davidoff by Davidoff (does Basenotes give awards for most uses of the name Davidoff in one sentance? Davidoff Davidoff Davidoff...) now when that one runs out (I've got maybe 20mls left) I'm going to panic. Zino, I'll miss him when he's gone but I won't dive in after him.

I read somewhere that Johnny Depp is a big fan of Zino.. I wonder what's his thought in all of this .. come on Johnny SAY SOMETHING

Basenotes Plus

Zino is Johnny Depp's signature scent (and has been for years)...he is a man of fine taste. He is anti-Hollywood and was close friends with Hunter S. Thompson (and portrayed him in films).

I respect and admire the man - he is fantastic at his craft.

Cheers.
    Last edited by ericrico; 5th September 2012 at 05:41 AM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Okay, so we'll take your answer with a grain of salt then. What about longevity? How did they compare 10 hours in? (Zino cursive lasts at least that long on my skin.)
    I'm left with a pleasant vanilla after 4 to 6 hours. There's still a little bit of the heart hanging on, but not much. Zino isn't a beast on my skin. Most every opinion on basenotes I take with a grain of salt. Either way Zino is a fantastic fragrance that deserves the debate.
    Last edited by silentrich; 5th September 2012 at 12:36 AM.
    Summer 2014 favorites

5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)

8. Joop Splash (Fruity)

I'm left with a pleasant vanilla after 4 to 6 hours. There's still a little bit of the heart hanging on, but not much. Zino isn't a beast on my skin. Most every opinion on basenotes I take with a grain of salt. Either way Zino is a fantastic fragrance that deserves the debate.
    I wrote about this on my blog recently. Everyone has their own opinion, but there is also an "objective" quality as well, though that may require scientific technology (gas chromatography?). There is either the same "sandalwood" molecule content in the new version or there is not; that is not something that can be argued once it is determined. "You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts." The OP needs to understand that we are basing our speculations on our experiences. We did not bottle the fragrances so of course we cannot know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I wrote about this on my blog recently. Everyone has their own opinion, but there is also an "objective" quality as well, though that may require scientific technology (gas chromatography?). There is either the same "sandalwood" molecule content in the new version or there is not; that is not something that can be argued once it is determined. "You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts." The OP needs to understand that we are basing our speculations on our experiences. We did not bottle the fragrances so of course we cannot know for sure.
    I agree. My point is that if it was reformulated, it's damn hard to tell the difference. This isn't a daily wearer for me and it's more of a mood fragrance if truth be told. Just from some of the opinions on here it seems like this might be a case of people who love it and those that really like it. The better opinion might come from those who hate it
    Summer 2014 favorites

5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)

8. Joop Splash (Fruity)

Dependent

The sandalwood provides an effective, skillful, and pleasing "filling out" aspect to (vintage) Zino's base accord. One thing I appreciate about that accord is that the composition loses no depth as a result of it. Jaguar Mark II and Gucci Envy pH are two frags which feature sandalwood but suffer a bit of obscuration as a result -- I'm almost trying to "smell through" the sandalwood but it feels a little synthetic and opaque (despite the fact I enjoy them). I don't generally like opaque compositions. I prefer there to be a tangible "olfactory space" to a frag's structure -- not necessarily transparency (a la Ellena) but something akin to it.

I love this stuff and I've only tried the current which is great. For having such a strong opening I'm wondering if this truly is fleeting or is one of those frags that induces olfactory fatigue quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

Another aspect to consider is Davidoff in general are good at reformulations. I'm reading Turin's newest book "The Little Book of Perfumes: The Hundred Classics" and he updates his reviews with current samples. If there were any significant change in Cool Water he'd be the first to say as he loves the stuff. Probably the case with Zino...yes reformulated but a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by alexwagner View Post
    I love this stuff and I've only tried the current which is great. For having such a strong opening I'm wondering if this truly is fleeting or is one of those frags that induces olfactory fatigue quickly.
    I think this is the case for many people, which is why reformulations are done the way the are. In other words, they "amp up" the top notes and hope that they last a few hours (that depends upon skin chemistry, climate, whether it gets on your clothes, how many sprays, etc.). They take out the expensive base notes and replace them with something generic and cheap. In some cases, I find it outright laughable, such as the lack of opoponax in Lagerfeld Classic, which is what makes Lagerfeld Cologne special, IMO. Of course, this is my explanation, though I did find someone who worked in the industry back then and she confirmed it (I bought a one of a kind KL Homme by Lagerfeld bottle from her; it was a formulation they were considering but decided against). Sometimes the reformulation smells "cheap" but other times it's terribly unbalanced. I find recent frags to be more wearable, in general obviously, because at least they were crafted to possess a semblance of balance.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 5th September 2012 at 04:25 AM.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by alexwagner View Post
    I'm reading Turin's newest book "The Little Book of Perfumes: The Hundred Classics" and he updates his reviews with current samples. If there were any significant change in Cool Water he'd be the first to say as he loves the stuff. Probably the case with Zino...yes reformulated but a good one.
    Glad you brought Turin up. Zino is a notable exception to the A-Z Guide. Considering its bold use of animalics (something Turin does tend to be fond of), that's a surprise.

Glad you brought Turin up. Zino is a notable exception to the A-Z Guide. Considering its bold use of animalics (something Turin does tend to be fond of), that's a surprise.
    Oops! What I meant is that in the book he updates reviews with current samples. Obviously some reformulations are better than others and he actually even prefers current versions of some frags. If Cool Water had deteriorated markedly I'm guessing he would have mentioned it so maybe Davidoff put the same care into the Zino reform which explains why some on BN can't perceive a difference. Just a thought...probally wrong

He's never actually reviewed Zino which is strange but he does mention it in he's Heritige review and call's it 'great'.

Sorry, but as much as I admire LT's dedication to and study of frags, the men's from the 1980s are not his strong suit, IMO.

Sorry, but as much as I admire LT's dedication to and study of frags, the men's from the 1980s are not his strong suit, IMO.
    Don't want to give the impression of being a Turin devotee either because I'm not. The book is just entertainment to me...certainly not a 'guide'.

I wonder if his at least somewhat dismissive attitude towards these frags is due to his sampling the reformulations !

Dependent

I wonder if his at least somewhat dismissive attitude towards these frags is due to his sampling the reformulations !
    Probably not. He's been a fraghead for decades and smelled most well-known releases when they came out.

Probably not. He's been a fraghead for decades and smelled most well-known releases when they came out.
    But he does say in some reviews that this or that frag seems like it could have been reformulated. Clearly, he didn't try to do what I've been doing, which is to try and figure out which bottle represents particular formulations. The other thing I'll mention, which I think may be more important, is how he described them as "foghorns." Once you get to the drydown many if not most of these frags are quite tame, though that's not true for some of the reformulations (Giorgio for Men by GBH and Third Man are obvious examples). One spray to the chest from most of my vintage 80s frags is just right, no "foghorn" and no more projection that most men's frags from the last ten years or so. My guess is that LT and CB pay too much attention to top notes, which is fine if they would tell us that, but when you act like some sort of frag expert and you don't make such distinctions, it can only serve to confuse people, IMO.

Dependent

Very good points Bigs.

Curiosity got the best of me and I decide to try and test another bottle besides the 1 oz (cursive) and 4.2 oz (block) bottles I have. It's just a mini and it looks like an older version of my 1 oz.

Summer 2014 favorites

5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)

8. Joop Splash (Fruity)

Mini's always have the script/signature font as far as I know, see also the current Cool Water mini's who look the same as the old while all the new bigger (40, 75, 125 and 200ml) Cool water bottles have block font.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    Mini's always have the script/signature font as far as I know, see also the current Cool Water mini's who look the same as the old while all the new bigger (40, 75, 125 and 200ml) Cool water bottles have block font.
    Well crap..... I have daddy and momma Zino so I spent $9 for the baby.
    Summer 2014 favorites

5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)

8. Joop Splash (Fruity)