Code of Conduct

Arrow Looking For Memorable Cologne With Wide Allure Like Fierce But For Grown Ups

Before you chastise me, I realize Abercrombie & Fitch's Fierce is the object of much derision/contempt, and is often critically panned for being overused, etc, but the fact remains, or at least a strong argument can be made that it has wide appeal with women almost universally, even if said women have unrefined noses.

Looking at Fierce objectively, had it just dropped yesterday, and released by someone other than A&F, you can see how you might be tempted to talk about it differently. The point I'm driving at is Fierce is a memorable, profoundly enticing sporty summer scent with just enough warmth to keep it firmly out of the unisex category. Add about 8 years of a lot of insufferable teenage brats bathing in it, and suddenly it sucks. Perhaps the worst part about this is the fact A&F was content with carpet bombing America with it on their clothes. Now there's simply nothing original about a guy wearing Fierce. A girl can break up with her boyfriend and enjoy pretty good odds her next boyfriend, if he lacks imagination, will probably smell the same. All said, Fierce, for all of its virtues and black eyes, is the providence of the American High Schooler, and in my view, no self-respecting man over 25 that cares about integrity, and uniqueness should wear it.

I'm looking for something that has the instant, unforgettable magnetism of Fierce but for grown ups. I should say my personal tastes have drawn me to scents like :

1. Polo (1978)
    2. New West (1988)
    3. Burberry Touch (2000)
    4. Lacoste (2002)
    5. Polo Blue (2002)

Admittedly I prefer the more sporty, citrusy, cool fragrances. I'm generally not a fan of the overly-sweet, "perfumey" scents by Calvin Klein, however (e.g. Obsession, Eternity etc.) But also not into the overly-musky scent of like Polo-Black and others, or of the really soapy smells of Gucci and Prada either. I'm somehow only halfway through my large bottle of Polo Blue now, and I got it back in 2002. I still wear it, but I think it's losing its staying power.

Does a grown up equivalent of Fierce exist? Even forgetting Fierce for a minute, is there a sporty, cool smelling cologne with a hint of deeper sophistication that drives every woman wild exist today? Any feedback is appreciated.

-
    Last edited by EruditeHedonist; 1st October 2010 at 03:12 AM.

Default Re: Looking For Memorable Cologne With Wide Allure Like Fierce But For Grown Ups

Pure Malt.

j/k

But I will go with something at least as ubiquitous around here as PM: I believe Green Irish Tweed is what you seek. If that's too much, give Cool Water a try.
    Last edited by A. Homme; 1st October 2010 at 03:16 AM. Reason: speelingg

Default Re: Looking For Memorable Cologne With Wide Allure Like Fierce But For Grown Ups

I used to wear Fierce quite a bit. It's hard to say what you'd like, but I know this spring I'll be purchasing Un Jardin Sur le Nil. It's incredible stuff! Bright, clean, refreshing, and the best part is how realistic it smells. It also seems to get lots of compliments. Un Jardin en Méditerranée is also fantastic, and more masculine due in part to it's earthiness.

I've been iffy on summer fragrances (for some reason cold weather ones are easier to find) and I've been looking for ones I truly enjoy for quite awhile. These 2 are definite winners, along with Silver Mountain Water.

Oh and you may look into L'instant de Guerlain. I love that stuff!
    Last edited by CanwllCorfe; 1st October 2010 at 04:28 AM.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

+1 for Silver Mountain Water

Also:

Allure Homme Sport
    Bleu de Chanel
    Paco Rabanne XS
    Guerlain Homme
    Last edited by Chasing the Dragon; 1st October 2010 at 03:45 AM.

I've heard Chanel Platinum Egoiste referred to as a grown-up Fierce.

Bleu de Chanel

Chanel Platinum Égoïste.

I've heard some compare Givenchy Play to Fierce. I don't know about that as I have never tested Fierce on skin and only vaguely recall its scent from the mall. Still, I can vouch that Play is a very nice scent that the ladies do seem to love.

Another fresh, citrusy, sporty scent I think you'd like is Versace PH. It's like an adult, refined take on Acqua di Gio.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I have absolutely no idea what Fierce smells like but it sounds like you need to try Tiffany for Men Sport.

Just a hunch . . .