Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Today I Bought - October 2010

Today, Mama Ms Dior is reunited with her daugher Diorissimo...

No, absolutely no modern and/or reformulated and/or cheap synthetic crap at overinflated prices for me!

Basenotes Institution

Lovely flacons , domperrier- another great vintage find ! I do like the older Dior flacons- they were so elegant.

I have been naughty and recently bought Amouage Jubilation 25 too . I love Amouage - great quality and Amouage seems to do very well on my skin . Jubilation 25 is one I have lemmed for years but never got around to buying. For my 40th birthday coming up end of this year, I thought I had better rectify that situation before I go on my travels. 40th = Jubilation !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Congratulations Mimi, I love love love that scent!

Congratulations on the sample haul in that drawing, too!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Lovely flacons , domperrier- another great vintage find ! I do like the older Dior flacons- they were so elegant.

I have been naughty and recently bought Amouage Jubilation 25 too . I love Amouage - great quality and Amouage seems to do very well on my skin . Jubilation 25 is one I have lemmed for years but never got around to buying. For my 40th birthday coming up end of this year, I thought I had better rectify that situation before I go on my travels. 40th = Jubilation !
    Thanks!

Mimi, I agree that Amouage is one of the few brands that still produces quality fragrances with character.

If only they sold them in my country. Unobtainable from evilBay also so I guess I have to do without them...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Congratulations Mimi, I love love love that scent!

Congratulations on the sample haul in that drawing, too!
    Thanks Sculpture from one Amouage fan to another !
    Re. samples...haul ...drawing...win- did I win something ???

Quote Originally Posted by domperrier View Post
    Thanks!

Mimi, I agree that Amouage is one of the few brands that still produces quality fragrances with character.

If only they sold them in my country. Unobtainable from evilBay also so I guess I have to do without them...
    Dom - you can get Amouage on Ebay albeit out of your country but still they can ship to you ! Maybe you can buy direct from Amouage in Hong Kong.

Ungaro Apparition Homme Intense at a great price from cheapsmells.com.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Congrats Mims Jubilation XXV should be mine next week too

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Dom - Marry me already!

These goodies arrived at my estate today:

2x 50ml L'Heure Bleue, EdT
    2x 20ml Dioressence, vintage parfum, testers

If anybody has an empty 20ml parfum bottle or two lying around,
    I would be more than happy to buy the cap(s). Thanks!

Basenotes Institution

Pour Monsieur - congrats -we should smell good together !
    Duckie- nice haul of vintage !

Burberry Brit Limited Edition

Roberto Cavalli, It is just heavenly, the bottle is way to tall.

Fresh Cannabis Santal, 30 ml.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Dom - Marry me already!

Yummy Duc! Congrats!

Well I bought a bottle of the new Herve Leger Femme for Avon. It arrived yesterday and what a wonderful surprise. Its lovely, warm spicy woody and as good as any high end department store fragrance. The perfumer is Calice Becker so good nose created it. You got a free gift with the bottle, 12ml purse spray plus the shower gel and body lotion.

If you have an Avon lady do try to get a sample.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    Yummy Duc! Congrats!
    Merci, monsieur. If it wasn't for the synch friday,
    I would be soaking in Dioressence right now ...

If it wasn't for the synch friday,
    I would be soaking in Dioressence ...
    You certainly have been stocking up on it, so maybe you could!
    Not that I blame you, it's fabulous! It might actually be my favourite Dior...

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    I have, yes!

You know what? I just found a vintage parfum at a flea market this summer,
    I hadn't smelled it before, but it was love at first sniff.
    It's known buy most ppl, that I am a sucker for sweet and cloying frags, so,
    it's actually kinda strange, that I love this mossy green concoction as much
    as I do, but damn it's good. A serious competitor to Poison as my fave Dior!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    i agree- I love Dioressence too .

Today I Bought-features notes of fragrance include grapefruit, rose, cinnamon, spice notes,mint, blood orange, blond leather, white woods, amber and patchouli
    Perfumes for Women
    Exclusive offer for limited time. All products are original brands.
    www.quickly-shopping.com

I got an empty atomizer of Belledogia by Caron for fifty cents for the floraly gold canister (hopefully I can find a refill atomizer!).

Dom - Marry me already!

What beauties!

How's the LHB EDT? I have tried the '80s version, and it's very unlike the warm and inviting extrait....a little clinical, and ummm...reptilian.

I've recently started wearing L'Artisan Vanilia again and was reminded why I love this and feeling sad over it's discontinuation. And although I have a full 50ml bottle, it pains me a little each time I wear this and use a little bit up. So today I stopped by the store where I had purchased my current bottle 6 months ago. They still had one 50ml bottle left! And they had a 100ml tester that was about 80% full. I bought both of them! I'm so happy. I feel like I have enough Vanilia now to last me a long, long time

Basenotes Plus

Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Flora Nymphea (which I couldn't find in the directory)
    Serge Lutens Nuit de Cellophane (which definately didn't get much love in the review section)
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

After a little bit of snooping around, I learned that the Shalimar presentation at the top above is indeed a parfum extrait... the only version of Shalimar parfum being bottled in the bouchon coeur flacon in recent times. For the Xmas 2008 season, it was also released as a 50ml EDT spray. So anyway, I bought it. Its still en route, so unfortunately, no glamourous pics yet.

Quote Originally Posted by domperrier View Post
    What beauties!

How's the LHB EDT? I have tried the '80s version, and it's very unlike the warm and inviting extrait....a little clinical, and ummm...reptilian.
    I believe these are from the 80s, no?!
    Reptilian? Hahaha, I dunno.
    They are as L'Heure Bleue is suppose to be.
    I haven't tryed many formulations, so I
    cannot tell you 'how they are', besides
    divine!

Those are seriously cool! Wow! 30ml parfum!

Today I was delighted to receive my Guerlain Derby Aftershaves (one a 100ml spray and one a 50ml splash). I have been keen to test them agains the EDT in terms of their persistence. My supplier was very kind to have also sent me a couple of EDT minis

Unfortunately I may have to wait until my head cold has subsided before I can smell the A/S properly. My nose is working at about 80% right now.
    Are there any other basenoters that have used the A/S and the EDT enough to comment on their similarities/differences?

That's a whole lot of Derby, Dimi!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    That's a whole lot of Derby, Dimi!
    I know Kevin... and I know it looks terribly vulgar... I have it coming out the wazoo! But I've not enjoyed a scent this much since LPNo9, and some here may recall the panic-buys I made when it was announced as discontinued. Fortunately I still have several in reserve.
    With regard to the Derby, I have found an excellent supplier who is selling at weelllll below market price. It would be foolish not to stock up, wouldn't it? Sometimes I kind of cringe at my own posts too.

Cool collection, Dimi, but I can't stand the AS flacons,
    they are butt ugly, being Guerlain and all.
    That house usually have some gorgeous flacons!

Heck, I didn't design 'em Ducky, I only wear 'em!
    BTW, the A/S flacon is the same as the EDT flacon with the exception of the colour of the name printed on the front. The tall rectangular bottle is the flacon used when the "eagle" bottle went out of production.

BTW, the A/S flacon is the same as the EDT flacon.
    Yes, yes, I just said AS so you knew which flacons I was talking about.

Real ugly design!

Of course all this is very subjective. Have you ever tippy-toed across to Mr. G's website to read the inspiration behind the bottle? It may make more sense, though I doubt it will change your opinion of it. Still, I guess its better to have an informed opinion, no?

Of course all this is very subjective. Have you ever tippy-toed across to Mr. G's website
    Oh yes, I've spent hours over there, but,
    I mostly read his fragrance reviews, not
    so much the other stuff.

Since I absolutely adore Amouage Lyric Woman and think of it as sheer beauty... I had played with the thought of getting the Extrait de Parfum of it for months. Oh well, the exchange rate GBP - EUR is quite favorable at the moment for us Euro-folks, so I took this as a good excuse. I ordered it on Thursday and had it in the mail today. I couldn't believe it It also came with an official sample of both Memoir and Opus III. Needless to say I'm in heaven...

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Since I absolutely adore Amouage Lyric Woman and think of it as sheer beauty... I had played with the thought of getting the Extrait de Parfum of it for months. Oh well, the exchange rate GBP - EUR is quite favorable at the moment for us Euro-folks, so I took this as a good excuse. I ordered it on Thursday and had it in the mail today. I couldn't believe it It also came with an official sample of both Memoir and Opus III. Needless to say I'm in heaven...
    Congrats Larimar! I absolutely adore Lyric Woman and I swear to God, everytime I spray the EDP, I am both mesmerized and baffled at how absolutely drop-dead gorgeous this stuff is. Two years ago, when I first bought, I went through a phase of wearing it daily for a month! And that's quite a feat, given my current collection of close to 200 perfumes and rarely wearing fragrances 2 days in a row!
    When I first smelt the extrait in the London boutique, I was quite taken by how different and at the same time, it is from the EDP. It is much more animalic with a clear civet note that isn't found in the EDP anywear. Also I found the cardamom much more pronounced and the rose was subdued. The incense seemed to emerge sooner and had an ashy linger that was breathtaking. As soon as I finish my bottle of the EDP, I'm gonna splurge on the extrait! What is your take on it? If you don't mind me asking, did you purchase it from the London boutique over the phone or online from...um...forgot the name of the website?

Dimi,

I am loving the Derby display.

Last week I bought Idole by Lubin. I think this one had been on my wanted list for many years, and Poivre Piquant, which was an unexpected surprise.
    Evenstar

Today, my 8.5 oz 'Golden Sixties' bottle of Shalimar EDT arrived, with its lovely wiggly black-lined white box, and an unusual screw-on sea urchin cap(better than atomisers & natural sprays IMO) that is a gaudy gold in colour.

It's about 70% full, and this almost completes of collection of all the vintage Shalimar concentrations : EDC, EDT,EDP,'90s Parfum & '50s extrait('70s extrait still in transit)

PdT still not on my radar. But I've no urge to buy that one yet.

And here they are all in one family picture:

Still to come : 1 oz '70s extrait in fan bottle & 1 oz EDP in limited edition bouchon cœur flacon! Can't wait for those to arrive...
    Last edited by domperrier; 12th October 2010 at 05:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    Congrats Larimar! I absolutely adore Lyric Woman and I swear to God, everytime I spray the EDP, I am both mesmerized and baffled at how absolutely drop-dead gorgeous this stuff is. Two years ago, when I first bought, I went through a phase of wearing it daily for a month! And that's quite a feat, given my current collection of close to 200 perfumes and rarely wearing fragrances 2 days in a row!
    When I first smelt the extrait in the London boutique, I was quite taken by how different and at the same time, it is from the EDP. It is much more animalic with a clear civet note that isn't found in the EDP anywear. Also I found the cardamom much more pronounced and the rose was subdued. The incense seemed to emerge sooner and had an ashy linger that was breathtaking. As soon as I finish my bottle of the EDP, I'm gonna splurge on the extrait! What is your take on it? If you don't mind me asking, did you purchase it from the London boutique over the phone or online from...um...forgot the name of the website?
    I see, you and I understand each other It is HEAVEN! I think I used up 15ml of my bottle of EdP this past summer... need I say more?
    I'm making this the ultimate experience today... EdP on my chest and Extrait at the dips of my collar bone and wrists. You know, after 1-1.5 hours it is not so different in the way you describe it. The rose is pretty much here the same way as with the EdP. You are right about the first hour... it comes accross more spicey... slightly peppery, yes cardamom (I get plenty from both versions). I think you are right about the civet, but that's a note I have difficulties in distinctively identifying. To me it's beautiful as I don't like clean fragrances The extrait is extremely dense and rich, BUT most important keeping the airy quality. It's divine and I'm happy I kinda blind bought it. Amouage Lyric Woman is the most beautiful perfume I know, it is so mood-lifting. I haven't experienced this with any other fragrance. I like Luca Turin's review... I think it says it all.
    Given the strong Euro, I think I got a quite reasonable price for Europe by ordering it in GBP from fascination-perfumery. How are prices in Qatar? Maybe I will need a back-up in the future... ;-)
    Thanks, scent! It's nice to have your feedback!

Unhappy Re: Today I Bought - October 2010

I have managed to source an old favourite of mine... the wonderful men's Woody Oriental "Christos" by Greek-Australian designer Christopher Chronis.
    Hi Dimitri,

Greetings from Christine your Christos enabler! I was just looking at your blog to see if you'd posted anything yet about Christos, then I saw your post. Judging by your pic, did you buy all the remaining stock? Is it still as good as you remember?

I was planning to drop by the Christos Chronis store later this week... maybe I'm too late??
    Last edited by msveronica9; 12th October 2010 at 08:08 AM. Reason: minor typo

Hi Christine!
    The mens stock is no longer available in the commercial sizes, but the women's you will still find there
    I am writing a full Christos blog in the week to come. Loooove being reunited with this one

D,

Basenotes Plus

Bought blind and I like it just fine Sorry I get silly late at night.
    Gianfranco Ferre Essence D'Eau EDP.
    Think it may have been mentioned on "unsung treasures thread"- if not it should.
    Very smooth but lively honeyed light oriental floral. Released 2003 but now discontinued. Under $20 on Evil-bay.
    A Scent Rescuer

Today was in Macy's and bought 9 ml sprays of Karma and Tuca Tuca.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

All the vintage bottles are making my heart go pitter-patter. Wickedly tempting, gentlemen!
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Bought my first new-out-of-the-box Creed today: Fleurissimo! It is the closest thing yet to my long lost Heartfelt: If I layerd a bit of Chanel No. 5 Eau Premier on top of my old Heartfelt perfume oil I think we'd have Fleurissimo. Apparently this was made for Grace Kelly's wedding and released to the public in 1972. Notes include rose, violet, tuberose, an ambergris.

Long time since on BN: can never get on the server long enough to finish a post.
    JeanieE
    Forever in search of Heartfelt....

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Today I Bought - October 2010

Omnia by Bvlgari.

A Chanel set containing:

All in parfum extrait 3.5 ml each. Is that a good volume for parfum extrait?
    Last edited by Siifter; 14th October 2010 at 10:33 AM.

Bought a 90% full bottle of Joop femme and Roma also 90%full -ebay-bout $10-12 each but ebay bucks paid for Joop .Free is nice!
    Thrift stores 98%full in box O oui by Lancome $1
    Contrast by Avon $3.50 for two bottles .I will try to do a evaluation/review here on BN for the Directory as it is unreviewed as yet.
    I also bought a couple of "junk "fragrances -a cheapo vanilla body mist and a Jean Philippe knockoff of Passion -oh well I can use them as bathroom freshener or doggie deoderant!

Basenotes Plus

Detchema Revillon 1 oz EDP
    micro mini of Le Temps D'aimer- Alain Dlon

Bought at "sample" prices on Evil bay out of curiosity
    A Scent Rescuer

Roma arrived today .
    Went to Tj maxx and found a lovely fragrance for $9.99 !
    It's called Siam Ginger by Urban Rituelle 60 ml/2 oz edp and it smells like Celestial Seasonings Orange Spice Tea .
    I looked up the website and SG isn't listed .It may be discontinued :-(
    I may have to go back and buy the other bottle .
    Back of box reads: "An effervescent scent from the exotic gardens of Asia.Spicy ginger is balanced with a refreshing twist of citrus orange ,lemon and grapefruit.Layered with delectable hints of bergamot & fresh tangerine to tempt the senses."...They don't mention clove but it smells as if it's in there and they recomend stopping use if irritation occurs.MMMMMmmmm!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by bookwyrmsmith; 16th October 2010 at 04:41 AM.

I tried to order Amouage Memoir Man today but someone bailed out early at Parfums Raffy today. No one was in the shop from 2:30 Pacific time or later, and they are supposedly open until 5. Guess someone wanted to start their Friday a bit early.

I know I could place the order online but I like to talk to a human with these big purchases. Guess I'll have to wait until Monday
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Partial bottles Carolina Herrera 212 and Dali Le Roi de Soleil

Oh, knit_at_nite - how exciting! Detchema is one of my 5-star fragrances! I worship and adore it but it's rarely mentioned around here, so I'll be very interested to know how you like it!

I ran across a bottle of vintage Pavlova (Payot) yesterday, so I bought it! I wore this a lot in Jr. High, but I first became aware of it because it was the signature scent of the girlfriend of the boy I had a huge crush on. She was a few years older, a cheerleader and very popular and vivacious, but I reasoned that I could maybe have a chance with her hunky beau if I smelled as beautiful as she did, so I actually procured some with that very idea in mind - hee! Well, she noticed and even complimented me on it once or twice, but he never did....sigh. So I didn't get the guy, but at least I got a beautiful new fragrance out of it.

Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

For all you Chanel freaks. Check out this auction! I cant afford to bid on this but some of you may. http://cgi.ebay.com/Chanel-perfume-s...#ht_500wt_1156

Basenotes Plus

Shalimar Ode a la Vanille.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Omnia by Bvlgari.
    Ooh, N_Tesla, if you should find that you really don't care for the Omnia and need someone to take it off your hands, I'm your girl. I love that stuff!

Ahem. This past week, a partial bottle of Shiseido Feminite du Bois and a cute little bottle of Kelly Caleche arrived. Still to come, a partial bottle of Parfums de Nicolai's Vanille Tonka.
    If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Oh, knit_at_nite - how exciting! Detchema is one of my 5-star fragrances! I worship and adore it but it's rarely mentioned around here, so I'll be very interested to know how you like it!

I ran across a bottle of vintage Pavlova (Payot) yesterday, so I bought it! I wore this a lot in Jr. High, but I first became aware of it because it was the signature scent of the girlfriend of the boy I had a huge crush on. She was a few years older, a cheerleader and very popular and vivacious, but I reasoned that I could maybe have a chance with her hunky beau if I smelled as beautiful as she did, so I actually procured some with that very idea in mind - hee! Well, she noticed and even complimented me on it once or twice, but he never did....sigh. So I didn't get the guy, but at least I got a beautiful new fragrance out of it.
    Love your story, Evangeline. All the more reason we should wear scent for ourselves!

The Detechma has arrived. The rascally seller failed to note that the trigger is wonky and the dang thing oversprays down the bottle front but not out the nozzle. Explains why the label is damaged. I'll have to decant so as not to waste the juice. Once I got over that shock and smelled it- the perfume itself is indeed a feminine masterpiece. Georgous! And only two reviews here?
    A Scent Rescuer

At thrift stores : Mary Kay Spa Scent Stress Free (green juice frosted bottle) $2.50
    Estee super cologne mini (gave to Mom)$.99
    Jontue 1.25oz half full $.99
    Ebay : sample vials of Minotaure by Paloma Picasso and Serpentine by Roberto Cavalli .I used the rest of my Ebay bucks and only had to pay $.98 -shipping is free!!!
    Vintage Femme by Rochas parfum de toilette $16 + $3.95 shipping .It was a bid only a few minutes before bidding closed and it won ! I've been curious about it since reading some blogs . I will probably end up buying the new version as well to sniff the differences/similarities.

Nuit de Noel by Caron vintage
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Knit_at_nite I had that happen with Mariella Buriani .I just pulled off the sprayer,took needle nose pliers and twisted it the right way round.Then I popped it back on and it works just fine!
    Ebay win Tom Ford Black Orchid full bottle,VdF 1/2 3.4oz ,Extreme ,For Men-last two supposedly stronger pre-release stuff .$49.99for the lot.