Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Today I Bought - October 2010

LOL- I've really got to stay off Evil bay at 2 am and avoid blind buys. Most of them end up working out great, though.

DELICE D'EPICES EDT Les Belles de Ricci - we'll see what the verdict is when it arrives.

And not really a blind buy, just a different concentration of a favorite scent: Y by YVES SAINT LAURENT CONCENTRATED COLOGNE
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    Serge Lutens Nuit de Cellophane (which definately didn't get much love in the review section)
    I really like Nuit de Cellophane. I find it so pretty, but sometimes it goes a little too sharp on me. But it's one of my favorites.

I just returned from a trip to San Francisco where I stopped by Jacqueline Perfumery. I bought Ombre Rose edt which I've had my eye on for a while. Love it! It seems to work well on me.

From the same Ebay seller as the Tom Ford lot I also won a full new bottle of Marc Jacobs Bang .Another seller had some partial minis of Lanvin Pretexte extrait that I had the winning bid for.
    Joop Femme arrived today-very Amber/Patchouli with hints of other things .It reminds me of AmorAmor,Ysatis,&Angel(and progeny ie.Euphoria,Instinct by Avon etc.)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by plumeria View Post
    I really like Nuit de Cellophane. I find it so pretty, but sometimes it goes a little too sharp on me. But it's one of my favorites.

I just returned from a trip to San Francisco where I stopped by Jacqueline Perfumery. I bought Ombre Rose edt which I've had my eye on for a while. Love it! It seems to work well on me.
    wahoo plumeria we can have our own little Nuit de Cellophane fan club. I like that it's not a HUUUGE scent and the drydown lasts a good 8 hours on my skin.
    A Scent Rescuer

Ordered 100ml of Amouage Memoir Man on Monday.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiére by Chanel 40 ml

wahoo plumeria we can have our own little Nuit de Cellophane fan club. I like that it's not a HUUUGE scent and the drydown lasts a good 8 hours on my skin.
    Yes, I get good lasting power too! I've also learned that when I wear this to work, less is more. I think it's when I overspritz (which is easy to do because it smells so pretty) that I get that sharp effect later on.

What arrived in the mail in the last 2 days?

A (surprise, surprise!) sealed disc bottle of the vintage EDC of my current favourite frag L'Heure Bleue, a boxed star-studded 3.38 oz flacon of Je Reviens and a 6" tall old Guerlain box:

Total cost of the trio ~ $68++

Just ordered my first bottle of Bond no. 9 - Andy Warhol's Silver Factory 100ml

Bought these from Vancouver.

1. Muscs Koublai Khan
    2. Ambre Sultan
    3. Fumerie Turque
    4. Gris Clair
    5. Fille en Aiguilles
    6. Bas de Soie
    7. Chergui
    8. Parfumerie Generale - Cadjmere 18
    9. Parfumerie Generale - Private Collection -Bois Blond
    10. Parfumerie Generale - Private Collection - Un Crime Exotique
    11. Parfums de Nicolai - Balle de Match
    12. Parfums de Nicolai - Patchouli Homme
    13. Parfums de Nicolai - Le Temps d'Une Fete
    14. Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur
    15. Incensi by Lorenzo Villoresi
    16. Activist by The Body Shop
    17. Les Exclusifs de Chanel -- Cuir de Russie
    18. Boise Vanille by Montale
    19. Patchouli Leaves by Montale
    20. Red Vetvyer by Montale
    21. L'Air du Desert Marocain
    22. Wonderwood by Comme des Garcons
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

LOL- I've really got to stay off Evil bay at 2 am and avoid blind buys. Most of them end up working out great, though.
    Ha! knit_at_nite, I'm your evilbay opposite today -- I woke up at 2 am with a rare, sudden cessation of greed, and took my ipad into the bathroom to cancel a big bid I'd set up on bidrobot. (your WELCOME, whoever ended up as the only bidder on the SABI pure parfum :-)
    Kiatbkk -- WOW!
    Lots of lovely smellies for all of you...
    Meanwhile, I've got on the way a lovely (I hope) bottle of vintage, sealed Mitsouko parfum! (I've never smelled the vintage! I'm excited!) I'll post when it arrives -- also a bottle of the lovely Unicorn Spell is on it's way to me from Luckyscent.

A couple of lovely Baccarat bottles arrived today, adding to my bouchon coeur collection

Basenotes Plus

CRose I hope the person who got the Sabi is truly appreciative of it.

The previously mentioned Y concentrated cologne arrived in top form today.

Also received packages with Cartier So Pretty, which was aptly named. Reminded me a bit of Guerlain with Love- will have to do a side by side sniff comparison.
    Tee hee ...I also got a parcel with a real steal on the modo huge size of Chanel Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne. It's just a beautiful, extremely wearable, non-challenging staple scent that I will give frequent wearings in warmer weather.
    Last edited by knit at nite; 22nd October 2010 at 08:22 PM. Reason: dyslexic spelling oops
    A Scent Rescuer

Dom -the Mitsy & L'h Bl are beautiful!
    Sifter -Eau Premiere is something I have only recently tried .I intend to get a bottle soon.
    Knit_at_nite Y is lovely .Hillare (who started the Unsung Treasures thread) got me hooked by her review.
    Samples of Minotaur and Serpentine arrived today.Also Bang by Marc Jacobs and the lot of Tom Ford.This is awkward -I want to sample them but tomorrow is SyncFri :House of Bulgari !

Quote Originally Posted by bookwyrmsmith View Post
    Dom -the Mitsy & L'h Bl are beautiful!
    Thanks! I'm glad others appreciate the beauty of these wonderful pieces of art-chitecture...

And as long as I don't spend more than $80 for any one of these, I guess I'll continue to buy them
    Last edited by domperrier; 22nd October 2010 at 05:35 AM.

Terracotta Voile d'Ete and Habit Rouge

and Van Cleef & Arpels Midnight in Paris and Terre d'Hermes Pure Parfum.

Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 22nd October 2010 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JeanieE View Post
    ... Fleurissimo. Apparently this was made for Grace Kelly's wedding...
    I have read that. Also, according to John Oakes in The New Book of Perfumes (2000 ed., page 10), Vert et Blanc by Carven was "created for Grace Kelly's wedding to Prince Rainier".

I guess any number of perfumers can create a tribute for such an occasion, but I wonder what fragrance she actually wore on the day?

Quote Originally Posted by missveronica9 View Post
    I have read that. Also, according to John Oakes in The New Book of Perfumes (2000 ed., page 10), Vert et Blanc by Carven was "created for Grace Kelly's wedding to Prince Rainier".

I guess any number of perfumers can create a tribute for such an occasion, but I wonder what fragrance she actually wore on the day?
    I understand that a special presentation of Guerlain's Vol de Nuit was created to commemorate the marriage of Grace Kelly and Prince Rainer of Monaco in 1954. Whether she wore the scent, or if the boxed presentations were gifts to wedding guests is also a mystery.

I caved in... Allure Sensuelle Edp 35 ml.
    Last edited by Siifter; 22nd October 2010 at 02:31 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Knit_at_nite Y is lovely .Hillare (who started the Unsung Treasures thread) got me hooked by her review.
    Ah-Yes, Y is indeed lovely- this is my 3rd bottle thanks to our mutual friend Hillaire.

Hillaire, the great perfume enabler. ...
    How has she cost me with that unsung treasures thread?
    Let me count the ways... oh never mind, it's all good
    A Scent Rescuer

Hi,

A short visit to London and I brought all this back:

- Amouage Gold
    - Amouage Memoir
    - Frédéric Malle Noir Épice

Quote Originally Posted by Nuria G View Post
    Hi,

A short visit to London and I brought all this back:

- Amouage Gold
    - Amouage Memoir
    - Frédéric Malle Noir Épice

Well done! I bet you've been greeted before but whatever.... Welcome to Basenotes!

It arrives today ~ my holy grail of 2010:

At $234, it's the single most expensive item I've ever bought so far[Though bottles of this size have been known to go for $550 or more....EMPTY =)]

But with 350 ml(11+ oz) of perfume, it's becomes the 2nd largest amount of perfume I own, after Shalimar in its various concentrations & bottles.

Should I unseal this bottle? One day, one day...when a special occasion arrives Like opening fine wine...
    Last edited by domperrier; 23rd October 2010 at 02:16 AM.

The other day a woman in her mid 50s was standing 'upstream' from me at a pedestrian crossing, and her perfume was AB-SO-LUTELY stunning! I asked her if she minded divulging what she was wearing, and she smiled and said "Miss Dior... but not the new stuff... the old stuff. Pure parfum". I was wowed.
    Her olfactory fingerprint is held firmly in my mind since that day.

So, just a short while ago I bought a 1/2 oz bottle for a steal. I can't wait for it to arrive.

Laurence Dumont Tendre Madeleine.

Very nice fragrance for a cold night.
    Evenstar

After a fewMONTHSof being outbid Ifinallylanded My Sin by Lanvin in the extrait form for my mother!!!!!!
    (No happy dancing though -my knee is still wonky)
    I don't think I mentioned that I won some partial mini Pretexte extraits .I also won some Carolina Herrera&Ysl ?(looks like Paris) minis,.5oz Replique parfum,1oz Chocolovers ,and Jacomo Silences vintage -not sure about this one .Not because I am blind buying a green scent -hey it's supposed to be a lot like #19- which I like -but because the seller refunded most of the money and said that there was some damage to the bottle she hadn't disclosed on the listing .There is a tracking number ...well I am only out $3 if it never shows or is completely broken.

After a fewMONTHSof being outbid Ifinallylanded My Sin by Lanvin in the extrait form for my mother!!!!!!
    (No happy dancing though -my knee is still wonky)
    I don't think I mentioned that I won some partial mini Pretexte extraits .I also won some Carolina Herrera&Ysl ?(looks like Paris) minis,.5oz Replique parfum,1oz Chocolovers ,and Jacomo Silences vintage -not sure about this one .Not because I am blind buying a green scent -hey it's supposed to be a lot like #19- which I like -but because the seller refunded most of the money and said that there was some damage to the bottle she hadn't disclosed on the listing .There is a tracking number ...well I am only out $3 if it never shows or is completely broken.
    Hello everyone! Until I discovered this thread I had no idea who I have been bidding against on ehBay - you're all here

bookwyrmsmith, you got the partial mini Pretexes at a good price (I fell asleep and forgot to re-bid). This is a gorgeous scent. I bought a small brass flask of it some time ago, but most of it had leaked in transit, which was a shame. But at least I have the cute bottle and box. I'd love to know what you think of how it smells.

I too bought Silences unsniffed and was very pleasantly surprised. It is similar to No. 19 but I think it's greener, and something I could easily wear every day.

Basenotes Plus

right back at ya missveronica9

Quote Originally Posted by missveronica9 View Post
    hello everyone! Until i discovered this thread i had no idea who i have been bidding against on ehbay - you're all here
    A Scent Rescuer

My rosebud amphore of L'Heure Bleue extrait from the late 50s(on the left, though label is fuzzy) arrived today...pictured next to the sealed Shalimar rosebud amphore I acquired last month.

At $36, it's not exactly a score, but an empty version of the same bottle went for exactly the same price last week. Also, an almost-full, sealed amphore with stained box went for a staggering $300++ a month ago.

And yes, the juice is the real deal: thick,full-bodied dusky yet sophisticated sweetness, with an aura of a long-lost era. This aged juice does not disappoint, but cements LHB's status as my all-time favourite juice, distancing itself further from Mitsouko at #2. And Shalimar at #3.
    Last edited by domperrier; 23rd October 2010 at 06:37 AM.

Neil Morris' Gandhara from a fellow BNer... quite mind-blowing, a bit of a hallucinogen in a bottle Love it and definitely A - if not THE - jasmine reference.

What an amazing page of pickups Dimi Im jealous again LOL !!!! Dom , that Lalique bottle is just stunning . Nuria congrats on the Amouage and Malle , all lovely things

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Dom , that Lalique bottle is just stunning.
    Thanks! When I unseal this bottle, you'll be the first to know, and will receive a vial of the juice if you so wish it

A 15 ml decant of Muscs Koublaï Khän.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

I must be on a roll !I won (for $16 + shipping )My Sin Extrait -in box about 1/3-1/2 a bottle! Mom now wants this one and the mini can go in my collection. The Pretexte minis arrived today as described/pictured .They are tiny .I think one of them would fit in the cap of the Tom Ford Black Orchid 100ml .Pretexte smells really great to me related to Toujours Moi and something about it reminds me of Opium in the same way that you can look at a picture of a distant ancestor and see a hint of your mom's chin or dad's nose.
    By the way my Mom tried Pretexte .Now she wants me to hunt some down for her.Oh boy here I go again!

I must be on a roll !I won (for $16 + shipping )My Sin Extrait -in box about 1/3-1/2 a bottle!
    I saw that item...it's a good score!

Luckily I haven't been bitten by any urge to hunt down any of the Lanvin rares like My Sin, Rumeur & Pretexte....yet lol

My budget is already quite stretched by hunting down Guerlains, Balenciagas and Chanels

Basenotes Plus

Minis of Bvlgari Omnia and Venice by Yves Rocher.
    A Scent Rescuer

I just found a petit bijou that makes me very happy - a mini bottle of Rochas Mystere parfum!

reine

Mystere by Rochas !What a great find reine!

Edit:mail has come and in it 3 packages! The My Sin mini-check
    Jacomo Silences (vintage)-check(and yumm)
    Carolina Herrera mini edp +shower gel +lotion+mini of YSL Paris edp-Check (passed mom the paris mini as I have a bottle and she likes Tea Rose)
    Last edited by bookwyrmsmith; 25th October 2010 at 10:13 PM.

More joy! A vintage '70s 2.5 oz almost full Baccarat[what an unexpected bonus!!!] bottle of Shalimar extrait(complete with box) that I got for £67.75(left) and a limited edition bouchon coeur 1 oz Shalimar parfum for $49.

And this is my updated Shalimar perfume collection, excluding empty bottles:

I had a delightful day today... Im celebrating my Greek name day and 3 packages landed on my door!

I received 2 Guerlain Shalimar 30ml extraits, a 15ml extrait of Samsara, and a whopping big goodie bag of Christopher Chronis parfums! It felt as though all my birthdays have come at once!

Basenotes Plus

Wow impressive haul Dimi!

I just bought some samples from Les Senteurs:

Josephine Baker by Etat Libre d'Orange
    Une Rose Chypre by Tauer
    Bal a Versailles by Jean Desprez
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

I'm going to happily trash up the thread with my cheapie acquisitions!

A great big bottle of the 1990 Vent Vert from evilBay -- I have a mini and I just love this stuff:

And from Marshall's:

And a tiny 1/2-oz. bottle of:

I had tested the Fleur de Corail once at Sephora, and found it smelled ... kind of weird. Like charcoal. But it was so cheap and the bottle's so cute that I bought it anyway. Well, it DOES smell kind of weird, but I've decided I like it! Sweet, smokey, salty, and rich. A very pleasant cozy fall/winter scent. I don't get the beach imagery at all, go figure.

Still I blind-bought because it was $10, I like tea scents, and I thought J.Lo's Deseo was lovely. This is very sweet, very fresh (and I'm not a big fan of sweet and fresh). The tea note sometimes smells good and sometimes smells dank, like wet tea leaves left too long in the cup. On my first wearing, do NOT love. But I don't hate it either and will try it again -- it was a rainy day, this might do better in the heat. It won't be a favorite, though, for sure.
    This scent is great, but ... MORE KITTENS!

I bought Chamade edp and extrait on Ebay. I am learning to love it, so now, of course, I cannot find it in any department store in CT. Is this soon to be on the hit list? Also, I have never tried Scherrer, so I bought that, too, before it is gone for good. I can't stand it! My new bottle of Diorella smells like melon plus "wet dog". Do perfume manufacturers think that blasting a fruity scent will cover up the fact that chypres no longer contain oakmoss?

I went Ebay crazy this week and bought Jardins de Bagatelle, Eau de Shalimar, Idylle and J'Adore.

Last edited by domperrier; 27th October 2010 at 12:22 AM.

happy is the bleu heart<3

I bought two partial bottles that have been on my wishlist for a long time right here on the BN marketplace: Cuir Ottoman and Tam Dao!

Quote Originally Posted by vintage*red View Post
    I bought Chamade edp and extrait on Ebay. I am learning to love it, so now, of course, I cannot find it in any department store in CT. Is this soon to be on the hit list? Also, I have never tried Scherrer, so I bought that, too, before it is gone for good. I can't stand it! My new bottle of Diorella smells like melon plus "wet dog". Do perfume manufacturers think that blasting a fruity scent will cover up the fact that chypres no longer contain oakmoss?
    Hi vintage*red! My sympathies with you for getting a few misses in your latest haul. This happens to me all the time with eBay (I have been a prolific spender of late but haven't had the time to post pics on this thread).

Re. Chamade - I hope you do learn to love this one. It's a very beautiful scent with pronounced evolution. Lots of galbanum and hyacinth! I don't imagine it being in department stores very often, but there seems to be plenty floating around in the 'bay.

Re. Scherrer - (assuming you mean the original Scherrer) - I had wanted that for so long, thanks to good reviews galore. But when I finally got a bottle, I found it horrible too. So glad it was just a mini. It had a specific "dank" note in it that I've also encountered in a few other galbanum-rich older frags such as vintage Bandit and Aliage. I had two identical minis of vintage Vivara (Pucci) - one had the dank note and the other didn't - so I suspect that it's due to a particular ingredient going off. How annoying!

Re. Diorella - I am currently trying to acquire some for myself on eBay, so I hope I don't get a melon/wet dog version. I am looking at the vintage ones in the houndstooth boxes (tall ribbed bottle with powder blue lid). Did you get the modern version?
    Last edited by msveronica9; 27th October 2010 at 01:45 AM. Reason: typos

Basenotes Plus

100 ml Orazuli by ST Dupont

50 ml Bvlgari Omnia

30 ml Havana pour Elle
    A Scent Rescuer

50 ml vintage Chanel 5 EdT plus I received the bottle of Balsamo della Mecca that I won on WAFT blog.

I bought some 1ml vials off an Ebay store( recomended by 30 Roses I believe).I want to be able to share samples with friends and family and maybe swap some later.
    I won a sealed in box1.34 oz bottle of Chanel Eau Premiere with postage only $26 .45 and about half of that was in my Paypal account from the Silences seller refunding on her own initiative $13+ change(this had me worried was the spray destroyed?bottle cracked and the juice leaked into the box?)Silences arrived with only a small grazechip on the bottom front of the bottle.(seller got excellent feedback from me btw)
    I hope the Eau Premiere is authentic.I tried EP on at the mall almost a month ago and at first spray it was just Okay.Cristalle Eau verte on the other wrist .But I kept snuffling the EP (which lasted for a good day,day and a half ) and the memory stuck with me .So I figured -Okay gotta have .Then I kept losing on bids for a few vials .I bid on a low priced bottle -and won !
    I really hope it's authentic.
    Last edited by bookwyrmsmith; 28th October 2010 at 03:28 AM.

My newest Guerlain arrives today! Only $16.99 + shipping

I must say I agree with Quarry : it's a really lovely, light rose scent that approximates smelling actual roses!

My pet Chihuahua was so excited, sniffing all over trying to locate the smell till I offered her my wrist and she sniffed it voraciously! Cute...!

Quote Originally Posted by domperrier View Post
    My newest Guerlain arrives today! Only $16.99 + shipping

I must say I agree with Quarry : it's a really lovely, light rose scent that approximates smelling actual roses!

My pet Chihuahua was so excited, sniffing all over trying to locate the smell till I offered her my wrist and she sniffed it voraciously! Cute...!
    You should post a picture of her sometime! I'm sure she's darling!

Quote Originally Posted by Thalia View Post
    I'm going to happily trash up the thread with my cheapie acquisitions!
    I'll join you! Picked up a bottle of Rochas Femme in Parfum de Toilette for approximately $5 the other day, about 15% remaining. It is the Olivier Cresp reformulation, but I've never seen it in PdT anywhere and the bottle is different; a rectangular, ribbed column, not the usual curvy Femme bottle. It's gorgeous. I'm pleased.

I am this close to marching away to NK and get a bottle of M/Mink tomorrow, as well. Byredo are finally doing 50 ml bottles.

My 13th Chanel fragrance! What a joy!

Basenotes Plus

Alien Liqueur de Parfum by Thierry Mugler.
    Last edited by Candy Perfume Boy; 28th October 2010 at 06:20 PM.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Sur la Plage

Penhaligons Endymion - received in a trade

Notes include Bergamot, Mandarin, Lavender and Sage Geranium and Coffee Absolute, Vetiver, Nutmeg, Black pepper, Cardamom, Musk, Leather, Sandalwood, Incense, Frankincense and Myrrh.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Sur la Plage

Chanel No 5 EDP

Notes include aldehydes, Grasse jasmine, rose, ylang-ylang, iris, amber, and patchouli.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Sur la Plage

Fresh Cannabis Santal

Notes include Wild Strawberries, Kumquat, Dark Plum, Patchouli, Magnolia, Rose, Chocolate, Vetiver and Vanilla Musk.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Pimpinett View Post
    Byredo are finally doing 50 ml bottles.

Terrific!!! Hope they hit the US soon....
    A Scent Rescuer

One last look at my bouchon coeur acquisitions in the past 3 months...

...and my Mitsouko collection

Incidentally, this will be my last post on BN.