Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Sur la Plage

Default Today I Bought - October 2010

Histoires de Parfums - Defile New York

Top notes: fresh mint, bergamot and cut grass
    Middle notes: water flowers, pineapple, rhubarb, clove, cinnamon and star anise
    Base notes: coffee, chocolate, licorice, vanilla, Gaïac wood, patchouli

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: Today I Bought - October 2010

I've actually been trying to avoid this thread, but I couldn't help myself. I just bought a bottle of Juliette Has a Gun's beautiful, rosey and sultry Midnight Oud, another contender for my wedding day.

Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

OK, I actually bought these a few days ago, but they arrived today…

A boxed set of Cuir de Russie parfum, 3 x 7 ml. I opened one of the bottles an hour ago to dab some on, and it smells great so far. Bolder, tarrier and more leathery, but at the same time also softer and rounder.

The date codes under the bottles say 94 U… Could it be so straightforward as to actually mean 1994? I don't know, but my guess is that these are from the 80's or early 90's. I've also seen quite a few spotty labels from that era, maybe because of the adhesive they used?

Basenotes Institution

Ab fab, Tott ! What a find !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Ab fab, Tott ! What a find !
    Thank you, yes; my heart was pounding as I watched the countdown...

I crave everything that's been posted in this thread so far!

(Side observation: Défilé New York is one of those perfume names that desperately needs to have its diacritical marks preserved!)
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    I crave everything that's been posted in this thread so far!

(Side observation: Défilé New York is one of those perfume names that desperately needs to have its diacritical marks preserved!)
    Sorry. I was lazy.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    A boxed set of Cuir de Russie parfum, 3 x 7 ml.

I just placed an order for 50mls of The Dreamer.

And I bought 15ml of vintage Youth Dew, EdP, earlier today.

Oh, and I have 2x 50ml vintage L'Heure Bleue de Guerlain, EdT, comming my way
    and 2x 15ml vintage Dioressence, pure parfum.

A whole big full bottle of original Houbigant Ambergris.... I am in heaven at last...

Basenotes Institution

My little Guerlain parapluie bottle of Mitsouko extrait arrived today - I'm so happy it got here safely.

Just pushed the button for the Fall Sample Bag from Luckyscents that I read about on the "wish list" thread. i'm such a lemming, it's mortifying... But at least I'll be a lemming that smells mah-velous.
    If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

100 ml Carven Ma Griffe Golden Edition EdP. At price 10 CHF, I couldn't resist.

My little Guerlain parapluie bottle of Mitsouko extrait arrived today - I'm so happy it got here safely.
    So am I !!! Glad you liked the samples too

My little Guerlain parapluie bottle of Mitsouko extrait arrived today
    Those are fabulous and so is Mitsouko. Enjoy!

What a treasure! Enjoy

Cristalle Edt or Eau Verte?! What do the ladies think? Someone? Help! lol

People say that the Eau Verte is the most wearable but I think it works perfectly with the Edt as well. So...

... Here's the new addition to my Chanel collection. Chanel Cristalle Edt 60 ml.

Amouage Memoir Woman AND Vero Rubj EDP. Wouldn't usually have purchased both at the same time, but I have been DYING to get Rubj since forever. Couldn't wait another month.

Also samples of:
    Tauers Une Rose Vermeille (Got a feeling this will be the next purchase), along with Eau d'Epices.

I am officially a bad girl...
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by hilaryjane View Post
    So am I !!! Glad you liked the samples too
    Hey Hilary ! It's you ! Thanks so so much !

I bought 2 50ml bottles of Coty Wild Musk for a TOTAL of US$9.58. Yes -- under $10 for BOTH bottles.

Musc Ravageur and Muscs Koublai Khan are still my favorite "naughty" musks. (I don't find either of them to be "dirty," but they are DEFINITELY naughty. )

I love SL's Clair de Musc for a clean musk, but, holy cow, Wild Musk is pretty darn fantastic and, at 1/10 of the price for SL, Wild Musk just has to be my favorite clean musk. I don't see any way around it.

Also, I've read a number of BN reviews indicating that others find Wild Musk to be very animalic/skanky, but I don't get that at all. Maybe my skank-o-meter is broken, but I think this is just clean (as musks go) and fantastically warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Siifter View Post
    People say that the Eau Verte is the most wearable but I think it works perfectly with the Edt as well. So...

... Here's the new addition to my Chanel collection. Chanel Cristalle Edt 60 ml.
    Great choice! Although I like both the EdP and Eau Verte, the EdT is my favorite version of Cristalle, and the hardest one to find
    Evenstar

Basenotes Plus

ohh, just when I thought my blind-buy days were over I fell into temptation late.. late...late... last night and bought GIANFRANCO FERRE ESSENCE D'EAU EAU DE PARFUM. I'll report when it arrives.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Hey Hilary ! It's you ! Thanks so so much !
    Imagine my embarrasment when I lost the tracking number. If it hadn't arrived I'd never have been able to show my face here again!!! Anyway, I'm so glad it has gone to someone who loves it and will wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Histoires de Parfums - Defile New York

Top notes: fresh mint, bergamot and cut grass
    Middle notes: water flowers, pineapple, rhubarb, clove, cinnamon and star anise
    Base notes: coffee, chocolate, licorice, vanilla, Gaïac wood, patchouli

How nice, JC. I want a bottle of the 1889 from Histoires de Parfum!

I ordered Violetta di Parma from an online vendor. Cheap and a classic!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by hilaryjane View Post
    Imagine my embarrasment when I lost the tracking number. If it hadn't arrived I'd never have been able to show my face here again!!! Anyway, I'm so glad it has gone to someone who loves it and will wear it.
    Dear Hilary
    It means a lot to me that this lovely bottle came from a fab fellow Basenoter ! It's only human to lose things like tracking nos. and anyhow - it all worked out in the end !
    I am itching ,ITCHING to buy Memoir Woman ...............

Wow....Mitsouko extrait must be such a wonder.

Parfum is already heavenly, and I can't imagine what extrait is like.

H-e-l-l, even '80s EDT is halfway to heaven for me.

Quote Originally Posted by domperrier View Post
    Parfum is already heavenly, and I can't imagine what extrait is like.
    parfum = extrait de parfum = extrait

It's all the same thing, pure perfume. (Well, besides the fact that "pure" perfume is – of course – diluted in alcohol.)

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    parfum = extrait de parfum = extrait

It's all the same thing, pure perfume. (Well, besides the fact that "pure" perfume is – of course – diluted in alcohol.)
    Oh...I thought there was a diff.
    So they just called the 'parfum' in the 30s -70s 'extrait'?

Quote Originally Posted by domperrier View Post
    Oh...I thought there was a diff.
    So they just called the 'parfum' in the 30s -70s 'extrait'?
    "Extrait" and "parfum" have both been used for a very long time, but nowadays "extrait" is seldom used (on boxes). My feeling is that "extrait" was more commonly used for the French/European market but rarely for the US; I may be wrong though.

Basenotes Plus

Yesterday I brought my Angel bottle to Bloomingdale's to be refilled. Does that count?
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

bleu autumn haze

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    Yesterday I brought my Angel bottle to Bloomingdale's to be refilled. Does that count?
    That absolutely counts!
    Did you sniff out anything new while you were there?

More Badgley Mischka. (I never thought that I would be saying that.) And more Mitsouko EDP and Shalimar EDP. (That's a given...as soon as I open a bottle, I am compelled to replace it!)

ExtremeKF: I still love Coty's Wild Musk, but only the oil. The cologne hasen't ever lasted for me and I have been wearing it on and off for 25 years. I remember you could get the talc too, but I don't see that anymore. Even the oil is extremely difficult to find outside of the internet. I managed to locate 1 bottle in a local drugstore and grabbed it. Haven't seen it in 20 years, so maybe it's that well aged! I have been wanting to try Sandalwood Musk by Henri Bendel since I am a HUGE sandalwood fan as well.

Just snagged a mini of Shalimar Parfum de Toilette on ebay. I'm looking forward to doing a side by side test with my Ode a la Vanille.

It's been another day of researching/reading reviews and succumbing to sample shopping. I bought the following samples from TPC (if they don't know my ship-to information by heart now, it's not for my lack of ordering):

Serge Lutens Boxeuses (happy, happy, joy, joy, I am SO EXCITED for this one!), Donna Karan Black Cashmere (reissue), Donna Karan Signature EDP (reissue), Donna Karan Essence Wenge, Donna Karan Essence Labdanum, Tom Ford Private Blend Tobacco Vanille, and Givenchy Organza Indecence (reissue).

I already have a Top 5/Knock Your Socks Off group of fragrances, and another group of 10-15 or so that I REALLY like a lot and can't imagine being without (and are thus FBW even if they fall short of KYSO status), so I'm not sure what possesses me to keep sampling, especially since I have enough samples already to keep me smelling fabulous for at least a year or two. Maybe I'm trying to make up for all that time I lost not wearing fragrance. I don't know. I'm a hopeless addict. And I LOVE it.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeKF View Post
    It's been another day of researching/reading reviews and succumbing to sample shopping. I bought the following samples from TPC (if they don't know my ship-to information by heart now, it's not for my lack of ordering):

Serge Lutens Boxeuses (happy, happy, joy, joy, I am SO EXCITED for this one!), Donna Karan Black Cashmere (reissue), Donna Karan Signature EDP (reissue), Donna Karan Essence Wenge, Donna Karan Essence Labdanum, Tom Ford Private Blend Tobacco Vanille, and Givenchy Organza Indecence (reissue).

I already have a Top 5/Knock Your Socks Off group of fragrances, and another group of 10-15 or so that I REALLY like a lot and can't imagine being without (and are
    thus FBW even if they fall short of KYSO status), so I'm not sure what possesses me to keep sampling, especially since I have enough samples already to keep me smelling fabulous for at least a year or two. Maybe I'm trying to make up for all that time I lost not wearing fragrance. I don't know. I'm a hopeless addict. And I LOVE it.
    Extreme, I know exactly what you mean. Who knew 6 months ago I would be this crazy about this? So much to learn... And my "wishlist" at TPC is about a mile long.

Oh. And I bought a little tester bottle of Estee Lauder Sensuous today.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    That absolutely counts!
    Yay!!

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    Did you sniff out anything new while you were there?
    I tried Womanity and thought it was pretty nice. Not sure if it's FB worthy, though. I also tried Sisley Soir de Lune (been wanting to for ages now) but it was just too overwhelmingly powerful for me.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by coopmom View Post
    Extreme, I know exactly what you mean. Who knew 6 months ago I would be this crazy about this? So much to learn... And my "wishlist" at TPC is about a mile long.
    Aren't wishlists wonderful things? But I'm convinced my wishlist will never be empty. Oh, and my husband thinks I'm absolutely nuts. And I'm not being hyperbolic (or, at least, not much). He seriously thinks there is something wrong with me. So there's that. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeKF View Post
    Oh, and my husband thinks I'm absolutely nuts. And I'm not being hyperbolic (or, at least, not much). He seriously thinks there is something wrong with me. So there's that. Sigh.
    Ditto. Mine rolls his eyes a lot.

Basenotes Institution

I ordered Memoir Woman !

My birthday is later this week, and I have been very good about perfume spending, so I splurged and ordered my coveted Acqua di Parma Profumo AND a small L'Artisan candle. Looking forward to that package! :-)

CHRISTOS
    CHRISTOPHER CHRONIS

I have managed to source an old favourite of mine... the wonderful men's Woody Oriental "Christos" by Greek-Australian designer Christopher Chronis. A scent that was discontinued over a decade ago, it boasts one of the more beautiful glass bottles that I have ever had the pleasure of collecting, in a deep violet hue.

And in keeping with all that is purple in hue, I also bought Guerlain Purple Fantasy.

Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 4th October 2010 at 08:30 AM.

STUN-NING
    Mimi!!

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    My birthday is later this week, and I have been very good about perfume spending, so I splurged and ordered my coveted Acqua di Parma Profumo AND a small L'Artisan candle. Looking forward to that package! :-)
    Profumo is a great choice!
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    CHRISTOS

CHRISTOPHER CHRONIS

I have managed to source an old favourite of mine... the wonderful men's Woody Oriental "Christos" by Greek-Australian designer Christopher Chronis. A scent that was discontinued over a decade ago, it boasts one of the more beautiful glass bottles that I have ever had the pleasure of collecting, in a deep violet hue.

And in keeping with all that is purple in hue, I also bought Guerlain Purple Fantasy.

Dimi- thanks, sweets !
    Look at those bottles. I do love the purple fantasy bottle simply because of Apres L'Ondee ! Great buys, D !

Lovely seeing so many beautiful bottles posted here!

I'm posting at last about my purchases during the San Francisco get together -- (DH and I just got back to Houston after our vacation in CA)

From the Guerlain boutique at Neiman's I got Les Elixirs Charnels - Oriental Brulant -- (this is entirely the fault of ubeuandibeme who first sent me a sample of this.) They were out of Apres l'Ondee but will call me, they say, when they get it in! So I hope to get it too, one of these days!

From Barney's I got Iris Poudre body butter, which I've wanted for some time. It's expensive, but worth it -- it's heavily fragranced. One could wear it alone.

And, although it was the first time I'd smelled it -- I bought Luten's Bois de Violette, as it was love at first sniff. I've never diminished a bottle so fast, I've already used about 15% of it in just a week and a half! And well, no, it doesn't have great longevity or projection, but when you're in love you overlook a few tragic flaws...

After San Francisco DH and I made our way through the Sonoma Valley. Due to an unseasonable heat wave -- temps in the 100s! -- we picked up a Styrofoam cooler and some ice for water and soft drinks in the car, and I put my precious purchases and samples in there too, so they wouldn't suffer from the heat. (my DH only occasionally rolls his eyes at the perfume mania... :-)
    Last edited by C Rose; 4th October 2010 at 06:30 PM.

I've got a fever... And the only prescription is...

I got to have it!

Just for fun, Aquolina Tweety...12.00 at Marshalls

Basenotes Plus

Today I received:

Une Rose Vermeille by Tauer. Both the scent and the flacon are absolutely beautiful. A big thanks to Sorcery of Scent and Andy Tauer for letting me win this lovely scent!
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Wow, Congrats Candy Perfume Boy!

Today I ordered:

SL Bas de Soie from Aedes

AND

SL Boxeuses (1/2 Bell Jar) from TPC
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Quote Originally Posted by Lessa View Post
    SL Boxeuses (1/2 Bell Jar) from TPC
    Wow, Lessa -- you went from sample straight to 1/2 Bell Jar. I am impressed! And I totally can't wait for my sample to arrive this week!

Basenotes Institution

Great buys ,people ! You all have taste !

Sur la Plage

Maison Francis Kurkdjian - Absolue pour le Soir

Notes include infusion of benzoin from Siam, cumin, ylang-ylang, Bulgarian and Iranian rose honey, incense absolute, Atlas cedarwood and sandalwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Perfume Boy View Post
    Today I received:

Une Rose Vermeille by Tauer. Both the scent and the flacon are absolutely beautiful. A big thanks to Sorcery of Scent and Andy Tauer for letting me win this lovely scent!
    You're welcome CPB!

Has anyone else wondered (in terms of volume), how much the addition of these glass stones has an impact on the amount of juice in the bottle?

hey mimi! love that mistouko!

Well done with memoir woman!

Sur la Plage

Six Scents Series Two - Fragrance 3: Solar Donkey Power

Notes include Bergamot, Sage, Geranium, Patchouli, Moss, Incense and Pine.

and

Six Scents Series One - Fragrance 3: The Spirit of Wood

Notes include Green Grass, Fig Leaves, Cypress, Elemi, Coriander, Cedar wood, Vetiver, Hinoki and White Amber.

Today, 2 bottles arrived, both 8 oz sizes: one of them just about full while the other, my first 'bee' Guerlain bottle, is about 1/2 full:

Was afraid that this vintage Eau de Cologne Imperiale had gone bad, but smells normally citrusy from the bottle.

The two together cost me less than $65.

Basenotes Plus

Arrived today from Evil-Bay:

Blind buy of Gem by Van Cleef and Arpels- vintage EDT- 100 ml about 85% full- Paid $5.60 including shipping. Very nice classic perfumery.

Replique by parfums Raphael 1 oz- hmmm I believe I already have this, so don't remember why I thought I wanted another bottle. Oh well LOL
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    You're welcome CPB!

Has anyone else wondered (in terms of volume), how much the addition of these glass stones has an impact on the amount of juice in the bottle?
    As far as I know the Homage line share the same 50ml bottle as the normal Tauer line however due to the glass beads they only contain 30ml of perfume.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.