Code of Conduct

Default Perfume: Story of a Love Affair

My wife and I travel alot being we have flight benefits from her work. The kids love it too. We try and keep up with places through Conde Nast Traveler. Love the magazine. This past issue had a story regarding a man that was in Turin and wandered into "Olfattorio, the Olfactory," a scent bar there. It is great reading regarding how scents can take you away...and how they changed this guys perception. Seems like a wonderful place. I'm just putting a blurb of the 2 page read

http://www.concierge.com/cntraveler/articles/503051

Turin on a rainy day. Everything is gray. As I step out of the grand, old-world train station, the city looks exactly as I'd imagined it: A cross between, say, Detroit, Dayton, and Duluth. Formerly regal, then industrial—Turin was home to Fiat and Olivetti and Martini-Rossi—it's now your basic overcrowded, swarming European city. You don't go there unless you have to, and until now I've never had to. But I'm a guest of the Turin Book Fair, so I'm here, counting the days, the hours. This city is nothing more than a stately nineteenth-century invention with endless arcade galleries, perfectly built squares trying to mimic Berlin and Paris. I've come with attitude and prejudice, and I know it. Two days and I'm out of here.

I have a few hours before heading out to the book fair. With nothing to do this afternoon, I might as well take a walk around the hotel's neighborhood. Down the street I come face-to-face with my first square, its heroic statue thrust right in the middle, as well as the usual boutiques interspersed along each of its sides. Then comes another square, the Piazza Bodoni, with its own equestrian statue and its own boutiques. Finally, on one of its flanks, I spot a shop with a huge sign: Olfattorio, the Olfactory. I have no idea what they're selling. It looks like a place where old bottles go to die. Or the world's oldest sanctuary of scent.

Inside, a salesgirl comes over and greets me and, before I have time to make a U-turn, asks if I want to smell anything. I give a polite shrug. She asks me which aftershave I use. I tell her. Then, as if by happenstance, she asks what scents I like. Leathery? Spicy? Floral? To show my thorough indifference to perfume, I deny them all. Which would I like to smell? Not wanting to sound totally ill-tempered, I throw out the first word that comes to mind: bergamot. I've been hearing about bergamot recently but have no idea what bergamot smells like, much less what a bergamot is.

The girl right away picks out a flask, takes a three-inch cone made of thick paper, writes the name of the scent on it, and then sprays some of the contents of the flask into the cone. She places the cone in a stemmed holder and hands me what now looks like an imitation wineglass. "We use these because cones preserve all three layers of perfume." She asks me to sit on a stool by the counter, the Bar--Parfums. The scent, which I keep sniffing and re-sniffing, is citrus but with a rich nuance of spices and wood. It's made by a French firm called the Different Company, she says. I keep sniffing; sniffing is a true pleasure. This is the best thing I've ever smelled in my life. I try to affect indifference...................................... ....
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Smile Re: Perfume: Story of a Love Affair

This simple well written article was the primary inspiration for why I now subscribe to basenotes and why I have started wearing cologne again after 10 years.

Cheers!
    Last edited by surfpange; 1st October 2010 at 04:12 PM.

Default Re: Perfume: Story of a Love Affair

Quote Originally Posted by surfpange View Post
    This simple well written article was the primary inspiration for why I now subscribe to basenotes and why I have started wearing cologne again after 10 years.

Cheers!
    That is great to hear!!Hope you start enjoying it again. It was well written and the style made you feel you were there.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

ToughCool, thanks for posting this! I smiled all the way through it, because it so much reminded me of my own start.

And welcome surfpange! You are in for a treat.

Great story!
    Thanks for your post, i enjoyed it.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I love a well-written piece. It certainly takes me away to places I've never been... Fragrance has a way of amplifying the experience imo. Thanks for sharing!

No problem everyone!I thought it was something different compared to many threads.
    --Ben Hogan

"I leave Olfattorio furious for being detained and sprayed."

Ha!! I love that.

Great article...it does a good job of describing the "experience" of fragrance, somewhere between physical, emotional and intellectual.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I'm hooked on the excerpt you posted and am off to read the rest of the piece via the link you shared. Cheers!
    Spray it, dont say it
    WARDROBE