Code of Conduct

Default Feminine Incense?

Hi All,
    Can someone plese help me find a fragrance with a strong incense note, but that is undeniably feminine? I love the way the comme de garcon incense series smell on everybody else but me. As much as I'd love to wear an incense inspired scent, my reaction to those I've sampled thus far is similar to the reaction I have when trying oriental or resinous fragrances - I get all headachey. Someone please tell me there is an incense fragrance out ther for me. I want more than just florals and food in my wardrobe!

Thanks in Advance!

Faith

Default Re: Feminine Incense?

Lorenzo Villoresi Incensi with it's unique Incense note would smell great on a woman, I'm sure. Also CDG Ourzazate. Ourzazate isn't strong per se, it's light and fleeting.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Chanel 22 has a nice incense note in the drydown on me.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Blog Entries

One of my very favorites-- Donna Karan Black Cashmere. While I think a man could wear it, it is clearly a feminine scent.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

u have to try mathew williamson incense...it is the most perfect feminine incense...i have it and im a man! although i think it may either be discontinued or limited
    Items for Sale

"Fragrance is a silent conversation. Would you keep talking, if no-one replied?''
    -Michael Edwards

I agree with CdG Ouarzazate, I found it the most feminine of the Incense series. Of course, you seem to have tried all and not liked them... So how about L'Artisan Passage d'Enfer? It definitely gets flowery on me. Or perhaps Olivier Durbano Rock Crystal (I think... the white one in any case): very airy and bright.
    And although I've never tried it, Silver Factory from Bond No. 9 sounds like it could be what you are looking for.

Funny I should come across this thread today, because I'm wearing (from a sample) the most gorgeous and feminine version of insence I've ever tried. Normally I steer clear of incense because it either smells more to the masculine, or is 'musty'...this one, however, is toploaded with jasmine ~ which seems to work for me! (check out my wardrobe) The name of this gem is JUOZAS STATKEVICIUS, which happens to be Lithuanian. I'm really enjoying this one.

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    Funny I should come across this thread today, because I'm wearing (from a sample) the most gorgeous and feminine version of insence I've ever tried. Normally I steer clear of incense because it either smells more to the masculine, or is 'musty'...this one, however, is toploaded with jasmine ~ which seems to work for me! (check out my wardrobe) The name of this gem is JUOZAS STATKEVICIUS, which happens to be Lithuanian. I'm really enjoying this one.
    I've smelled this and all I can say is... it rocks!

Some people have compared this to Avignon and it's only slightly true.

I have both LV Incensi and CDG Ouzazarte. I like them both! In my opinion, CDG Kyoto is even lighter and more subtle than Ouzazarte. Ouz has a substantial clary sage note (as I remember) which is a scent I appreciate, but it is dusky green, like celery leaves and sage. Kyoto is really subtle, with very light cedar-pine notes mixed in with the incense.
    Cheers,
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I'm taking note of all these recommendations as I love incense in perfume.
    A few suggestions from me - a cheapie that gets a lot of love is Crazy Libellule and the Poppies Encens Mystic - it's a solid perfume, so very handy.

Another solid that got a very good review on NowSmellThis is Pacifica Tibetan Mountain Temple solid perfume http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...3/3928864.html

Finally, a personal favourite - Nu from YSL. It's discontinued but stocks are still slowly clearing from the shops, so you can sometimes pick up a bargain. Or look on the swap thread here.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Angelique Encens

Cheaper option would be Breath of God by BeNever(if you live in the UK otherwise its hard to get) or Eau d´Iparie ( i think thats how you write it) by L´Occitane which is a complete steal and if you get it get Ambre too.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    IAnd although I've never tried it, Silver Factory from Bond No. 9 sounds like it could be what you are looking for.
    Silver Factory is not feminine at all. It's very unisex. It rocks, but it's not girly.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

Encens et Lavande has its fans.
    I find it a good nightime scent.

Basenotes Institution

Lot's of good recommendations above. I will add one: Chaos by Donna Karan

Miller Harris En Sens de Bois.

Another excellent Incense totally wearable by a woman. I had a sample out of which I wore it 3-4 times.

I recommend Hanae Mori's Magical Moon. It's loaded with Japanese incense (kyara) but has lovely white flowers and tropical fruit as well. It's not as strong as it sounds, it's quite subtle and absolutely feminine. For something more unisex that can smell quite feminine depending on chemistry, YSL's Nu has a very strong incense note, I get lots of compliments when I wear this.

Quote Originally Posted by chloefpuff View Post
    Silver Factory is not feminine at all. It's very unisex. It rocks, but it's not girly.
    Fair enough. Mind you, I find many unisex and even male (marketed) perfumes feminine, so maybe I'm not the right person to ask anyway
    I'll get back to you after I manage to source a sample of SF.

Belle en Rykiel, by Sonia Rykiel

Nu by Yves St. Laurent (be sure you get the eau de parfum)

Kenzo Flower Oriental is one of my all time favourites - and my boyfriend loves it on me, too.

Robin at Now Smell This wrote a great review of it: Flower by Kenzo Oriental fragrance review

Quoting from the review (because she says it much better than I do):

Flower Oriental starts quite similar to the original Flower scent: a soft, sweet, powdery floral. As it settles, the powder calms, and it starts to take on dark woody undertones that temper the sweetness nicely. It smells like agarwood (oudh), but a subdued agarwood, completely stripped of its characteristic medicinal topnote. The wood slowly warms into a dry, smoky-peppery incense which obscures the floral top notes, leaving only indistinct traces. It is mildly spicy, with a dash of vanilla and a clean skin musk in the base.
    Last edited by kaye dawn; 14th October 2008 at 04:59 PM.

I'd also strongly recommend Olivier Durbano's Amethyste.
    Read more here.

Quote Originally Posted by kaye dawn View Post
    Kenzo Flower Oriental is one of my all time favourites - and my boyfriend loves it on me, too.

Robin at Now Smell This wrote a great review of it: Flower by Kenzo Oriental fragrance review

Quoting from the review (because she says it much better than I do):
    I was thinking of this one too, when I first read the thread. Kenzo Flower Oriental is ultra nice, very feminine with a touch of floral.

Other notable mentions are: Angelique Encens, Black Cashmere (this is very heavy on the incense notes).

My favourite incense is Shalimar... you have to try the EDP version for the most incense.
    Last edited by dimples; 14th October 2008 at 06:14 PM.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Vanille Tonka by Parfums de Nicolaï is another possibility. The notes are:

basil, lemon and mandarin oils
    carnation, orange blossom absolute, pepper oil, cinammon oil
    frankincense and vanilla absolutes, tonka bean

It's a fragrance that I love (but apply with a light hand!)

Quote Originally Posted by dimples View Post
    I was thinking of this one too, when I first read the thread. Kenzo Flower Oriental is ultra nice, very feminine with a touch of floral.

Other notable mentions are: Angelique Encens, Black Cashmere (this is very heavy on the incense notes).

My favourite incense is Shalimar... you have to try the EDP version for the most incense.
    I 2nd Shalimar in EDP...smoky and beautiful.

The 1st thing that came to my mind was Silver factory by Bond No.9
    Gary

Etro Shaal Nur - this is so beautiful!
    Saffron James Pūnono
    Chanel No. 22
    Michael Kors
    i Profumi di Firenze Mirra
    Sonoma Scent Studio Encens Tranquille and Ambre Noir
    10 Corso Como
    Miriam Mirani Aqaba
    Hors la monde Shiloh
    Aomassai
    Ava Luxe Incense Rose
    DelRae Bois de Paradis
    Madini Sahara
    Susanne Lang Cashmere51
    Carnival Wax Fabulic
    Strange Invisible Perfumes Arunima
    Caron Parfume Sacre
    YSL Nu
    Chaos
    EL Cinnabar
    Essence of Jerusalem

Since Andy Warhol's Silver Factory by Bond No. 9 has been mentioned, here is my review which is pending...

This has a soft, sweet and aromatic opening, kinda boozy. It drys a bit, develops some incense. I can smell the violet leaves (not too piercing) and some good cedarwood notes. The iris and violet accord forms the heart of the scent – other elements simply frame that. This is an artistic but slightly edgy-brooding element… like AW I guess. Complex, quite intriguing, but a little too sweet for me. And iris-violet are not high on my list. I think it could have more dry incense. I don’t like the amber-y drydown. I didn’t get any metallic notes.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 14th October 2008 at 09:33 PM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Tauer Perfumes "Incense Rose" a feminine incense that is not musty at all, it's very clean

Chanel No. 22 (very aldehydic though)

Creed Angelique Encens (very classic, animalic, a 30's scent that is still around) I think this would be much too feminine for men, it's lush and sultry

The Commes de Garcons Incense series is excellent but they are all unisex, abstract and modern

Tauer also makes Incense Extreme but it is more like the CDG's than Incense Rose

Silver Factory would be a good feminine incense too, although it could be worn by either sex

Bal a Versailles, another classic, has lots of incense among it's lush, animalic, musky, powderey notes (the vintage is better and is available on fleabay) but, like Angelique Encens, is an older take on the incense "idea" -- in other words, it doesn't smell like church

-- all are available in sample/decant form, with incense scents you should definitely try before buying!
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Encens et Lavande from serge Lutens is a must even if it is quite cold ...
    Angélique Encens is sweeter.
    Incensi is just perfect ...
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

I also recommend Chanel No22. I think L'Artesan's Timbuktu smells incensy, spicy and slightly floral. It's quite beautiful, but I don't know if it's feminine. The notes are green mango, pink pepper berries, cardamom, karo karounde flower, incense, papyrus wood, balms and spices, patchouli, myrrh, benzoin and vetiver.

You guys are frikken awesome! Thanks so much for the offerings!

I have tried kyoto for a second time today. I think I'm liking it...we'll see. As far as No. 22 and Black Cashmere...this may sound tacky, but I'm looking for something less sophisticated and more laid back an earthy. Anyone think that CB I hate perfume's Just Breathe is feminine and incensy? Never smelled it. I'm waiting for scent bar to call me when they get a sample into the store.

Blog Entries

Well, this has been a very enjoyable thread for me. Like Wordbird, I love incense and I'm making notes, and my list of things to try has gotten a lot longer! I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't even know No 22 had an incense note. I'd always assumed it was another aldehydic Chanel that I couldn't wear. I also want to second (third, fourth?) the recommendation for Chaos. It's and old, old favorite of mine, definitely more casual than Black Cashmere, and I'm so glad it's back!** Incense evokes feelings of calm, reflection, and sometimes melancholy in me, so now I'm looking forward to recommendations from others regarding a "laid back" incense scent.

**Funny, I had a dream last night that I was in the perfume section at Nordstrom and they had just started carrying all the new re-released Donna Karan's that are currently only at Bergdorf Goodman. I was desperate to test Fuel, but to find it I had to dig thru cardboard shipping boxes filled with dozens of look-alike bottles and boxes (because they all do look the same now). When I finally found the Fuel, I couldn't smell anything! There got to be an old thread about scents and dreaming on BN somewhere... (off to search the archives)
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

I find Estee Lauder's Knowing to be very 'incensy' on the drydown.

I love this thread. Making notes here!!
    I have not seen Annick Goutal's Incense Flamboyant mentioned. It is very nice and not too loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I'd also strongly recommend Olivier Durbano's Amethyste.
    Read more here.
    The other Olivier Durbano, (I'm sorry don't quite remember the name, perhaps Black Tourmaline???) has a very nice incense note.

Creed Angelique Encens

You might try CJ Scents' Vanilla and Incense or Amber and Incense. (www.cjscents.com). I haven't tried them (yet), but they sound promising
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    The other Olivier Durbano, (I'm sorry don't quite remember the name, perhaps Black Tourmaline???) has a very nice incense note.
    All three are built around a phenomenally good incense note - the most feminine of which is the grape / raspberry infused Amethyste

Quote Originally Posted by dimples View Post
    Thanks for the tip - I don't have that concentration of Shalimar, only the parfum and edt. I want to try that incense.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    Although I adore it, I wouldn't exactly classif y it as feminine. Not at all, actually. It's the most masculine scent I like.

Quote Originally Posted by pomander View Post
    I also recommend Chanel No22. I think L'Artesan's Timbuktu smells incensy, spicy and slightly floral. It's quite beautiful, but I don't know if it's feminine. The notes are green mango, pink pepper berries, cardamom, karo karounde flower, incense, papyrus wood, balms and spices, patchouli, myrrh, benzoin and vetiver.
    Oh, yes, it is feminine, even if it appears in The Guide as a masculine scent. I find it one of the most beautiful and sexiest scents around, and I'm a woman all right! (what I'm trying to say is: please give it a try!)

Quote Originally Posted by alba View Post
    Oh, yes, it is feminine, even if it appears in The Guide as a masculine scent. I find it one of the most beautiful and sexiest scents around, and I'm a woman all right! (what I'm trying to say is: please give it a try!)

I couldn't agree more about Timbuktu being beautiful and sexy. I'LL also add that it's very seductive and exotic. I love wearing this scent.

Excellent recommendations all around! Incense is one of my absolute favorite notes.

I can also suggest (though they are unisex, but to my nose work beautifully on both genders):

* Heeley Cardinal (pure, clear and clean churchy incense - crisp!)
    * Demeter Holy Smoke (definitely more casual - a touch of evening camp fire before the incense that's been tossed on the embers kicks in)
    * CB I Hate Perfume Fire from Heaven - I don't find this one particularly inspiring, but do think it is a nice, easy-to-wear incense.
    *Norma Kamali Ceremony - May veer a bit too far into the sophisticated realm for you, but worth a sniff for sure!

If you're looking to really go off the beaten path, try Guerlain's Bois d'Armenie.

Enjoy your quest, and let us know how you make out, and what you decide upon...
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    Miller Harris En Sens de Bois. Another excellent Incense totally wearable by a woman...
    Well, I'm just learning about incense fragrances, but I agree with the recommendation of EN SENS DE BOIS. You may also want to look into Jo Malone's LOTUS BLOSSOM & WATER LILY - I adore that one!

I like the sound of KYOTO and INCENSE ROSE, too, and intend to try them.

Best of luck in your quest!

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    Although I adore it, I wouldn't exactly classif y it as feminine. Not at all, actually. It's the most masculine scent I like.
    I agree, I guess I was thinking more incense, not enough femenine. Oops.
    It is very nice, though.

Blog Entries

*Bump*

l realise this is an old thread, but l wonder if anyone has any more recent recommendations?

l recently tried & adored Tauer's Le Maroc pour Elle, finding it a gorgeous dirty jasmine with a wonderfully prominent "headshop" incense note. Now l'm compelled to explore more of the feminine incense perfumes out there, preferably ones still in production.

l've heard that Dior's Mitzah is a good one & it's on my test list. Anything else?

Thanks in advance!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Amouage Memoir Woman

Some great suggestions already but I would like to add...

Josef Statkus EDP (which is a tremendously elegant mash up bewteen Avignon and Donna Karan Black Cashmere)
    Herve Domar Diamant Noir (Stark frankincense and dark woods in the opening - enveloping and sweet drydown)
    Eldo's Like This (I find the incense to play a remarkable role in this composition)
    Keiko Mecheri Oliban (Lovely resinous/peppery opening evolving into a solid woody/rosey/ambery middle pahse and drydown. Undeservedly underrated)

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

L'Heure Mystérieuse XII (Cartier - Les Heures)

Encens Flamboyant (Annick Goutal) has also struck me as having a feminine presence, somehow. It's a gentle incense . . . not an imposing cathedral-esque type of thing, like some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Some great suggestions already but I would like to add...

Josef Statkus EDP (which is a tremendously elegant mash up bewteen Avignon and Donna Karan Black Cashmere)
    Herve Domar Diamant Noir (Stark frankincense and dark woods in the opening - enveloping and sweet drydown)
    Eldo's Like This (I find the incense to play a remarkable role in this composition)
    Keiko Mecheri Oliban (Lovely resinous/peppery opening evolving into a solid woody/rosey/ambery middle pahse and drydown. Undeservedly underrated)
    alfarom I remember you mentioning a fragrance that you found similar to statkus. what was it?

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    alfarom I remember you mentioning a fragrance that you found similar to statkus. what was it?
    Most definitely the Herve Domar which costs 1/3 the price of the Statkus but it's even harder to find. A bit sweeter though...

No. 22 is the most feminine I can think of. Other light incenses I enjoy wearing: Lalique Perles, Eau d'Italie, Royal Bain.
    Also, bear in mind that most Amouage fragrances have notes of frankincense and some of them are undeniably feminine.

Blog Entries

Black Cashmere +1
    Josef stakus +1
    Black Fleece for Women
    L'air du Deset Marocain
    Organza Indecence
    Lyric Woman
    CdG Daphne

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Tam Dao by Diptyque, because it is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    CdG Daphne
    this is pretty nice Good call.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, l'm making notes & reading reviews so keep 'em coming!

l especially like the sound of Josef Statkus, & Daphne (which was my mother's name) sounds intriguing; it may be a love or hate fragrance for me though, we'll see!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

IMO, Josef Statkus Eau de Parfum, is a sexy feminine incense. Invasion Barbare for him, Josef Statkus for her.

Luckyscent link:

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=36200

Edit: Sorry didn't see others also picked Josef Statkus.... so +2 here!

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Most definitely the Herve Domar which costs 1/3 the price of the Statkus but it's even harder to find. A bit sweeter though...
    thanks for the reply. I'm actually on the lookout for a smoked incense + jasmine fragrance for quite a while now.
    I've made a combination of mainly jasmine and choya loban for now. it is pretty good if I say so myself, but I'm surprised to see that this is a path not many have taken.

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    thanks for the reply. I'm actually on the lookout for a smoked incense + jasmine fragrance for quite a while now.
    I've made a combination of mainly jasmine and choya loban for now. it is pretty good if I say so myself, but I'm surprised to see that this is a path not many have taken.
    The Statkus has definitely a remarkable jasmine note while the Herve Domar doesn't at all. They're both seriously sweet but while the former has a perfect balance between woods (cedar and cashmere) and vanilla the latter is slightly more cloying. Overall they're still incredibly similar IMO.

Choya Loban is supposed to be very pungent, isn't it? I'm not a big fan of jasmine but this combo sounds intriguing...

cloying you say? let me just move it way down in my sampling list

yes choya loban is very pungent. almost like an incensey birch tar. very leathery as well. wife likes it ^_^

on the topic let me just mention caron parfum sacre and balmain balman if they haven't been mentioned already.

edit: ysl's NU is also supposed to be great, and was marketed as a feminine. although I haven't tried it myself.
    Last edited by sarıpatates; 24th November 2011 at 09:38 PM.