Code of Conduct

Thread: Paradox

Default Paradox

I had dutifully taken note that a perfume called Paradox by Jacomo was in Turin's new top 10 perfumes for a desert islands. So when I saw a bottle at 50% off at store out in Tysons corner, I got it blind. The result is rather meh: I smell a fresh melony, a note that I dislike. True, this one is actually more pleasant, fresh and natural smelling than most, the best in a depressing genre.

So this seems to be one of the few when I disagree with LT. Or perhaps there's been a reformulation? I've seen the perfume referred to as Paradox blue in the directory; my bottle says Paradox only, but it is very blue. Or perhaps it was paradox for men?

Anyway, anybody tried this already? any comments? And how about the paradox green? that was on clearance too. The reviews of the green don't sound interesting, but who knows.

cacio

Default Re: Paradox

Is what you smell different than what Turin described or somewhat the same but varied in intensity ?

for swap/sale:

There's no review of Paradox in the book. He just inserts it in the list of 10 perfume to bring to a desert island, which includes also vintages etc. It's just that it strikes me as remarkably non-top-10. But it's also that I dislike marine melony notes a lot; after all, LT gives 5 stars to cool water and 4 to Dior homme sport, which are nowhere near there for me. Anyway, paradoxical really - and without a review, it's really hard to say what he finds in there.

cacio

Has it occurred to you to contact him about it?

for swap/sale:

No, but I just did another search and found an old 2008 in which mikeperez and dustb talk about LT liking a lot paradox (for woman), so perhaps I'll just ask them if they have more details.

LT inserts in the list also two other unknowns (to me): Talisman by Balenciaga (of which I ignored the existence), and Theorema Fendi (which I have never smelled).

cacio

.. a more detailed search and here's the likely source:

http://www.nzzfolio.ch/www/d80bd71b-...2e42b1d70.aspx

"There is one fragrance, however, which throws all caution to the wind and uses every fifth in the perfumer’s orchestra: my favorite fruity, Jacomo’s Paradox for women, is the closest you can get to Mozart without using your ears. It can be found on their website. "

Hmm, I doubt the thing's been reformulated. Light, fruity, melony it certainly is, and in a non-cloying way. But let's say these are fifths of instruments whose timbre I do not much care for. This joins Beyond paradise men in the small list of disagreements.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

I suspect you have acquired Paradox Blue. I've seen Blue and Green in discount stores, but not Paradox itself. I think you may have to get momma P on-line.
    I hated Paradox Blue, but would still like to sniff the original.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Theorema Fendi (which I have never smelled).
    Cacio, this is HUGE! I've been stressing the old lady in Lucca to see if she had it somewhere in her warehouse but appearantly she doesn't. Completely unavailable over here. I will try and see if they have it at the other vintage shop in Cecina...

Re Paradox: meybe it's just his guilty pleasure...
    Last edited by alfarom; 20th November 2011 at 11:40 AM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Cacio, I like it when you start the threads.

That's what I think: first Jacomo had Paradox, with nothing natural about it with the exception of the glass of a note-worthy flacon. Fresh first and then overly sweet and piney. Quite disgusting, cheap and headache inducing altogether. Then they came up with Paradox Green and to distinguish between the two the regular Paradox was nicknamed Paradox Blue. There might have been some reformulation issues but I have not dared to smell newer versions again.

Once again, LT/TS are entitled to their own opinions and they are very far from mine, more often than I care to admit.

Balenciaga Talisman -- I had high hopes for it, but in fact it is all about rubber boots full of old stewed fruit of unidentified variety.
    Fendi Theorema -- very good fragrance, but I can't be purely objective here -- everything them Fendi girls make agrees with my skin.
    Last edited by Twolf; 20th November 2011 at 10:33 PM.

Twolf and knit:

thanks for the info. I resmelled the paper strip this morning. The strip now reveals a huge fresh fruity, not just melony; not cloying, but definitely big. It corresponds exactly to twolf's description (minus the headache inducing), so I will assume that there have been no reformulations with the change in color or bottle. Well, at least now it shows a certain grandeur in its own way; somehow it reminds me of a supercharged Beyond Paradise to which tons of tropical fruits and melons have been added. A guilty pleasure for sure, though not a pleasure for me.

The description of Talisman sounds intriguing...

cacio

Banned
    Blog Entries

I think that Jacomo Paradox is intrinsically meh. I've tried to find the value in it, but have resoundingly failed. It has a sort of fogginess which I simply do not like. In the end, it's a matter of taste, I think.

Perfume is soooo subjective. I sampled Paradox once and found it undistinguished but unobjectionable. Meanwhile, I love Talisman and like Therorema, just wish it lasted longer.

Basenotes Plus

aha! Per Twolf Paradox = Paradox Blue. Thank you for info.

Not a fan of Talisman (loved the rubber boots full of stewed fruits image). Theorema (including flankers) is just divine on my skin, too.
    A Scent Rescuer

Tried Paradox often while it was in brick and mortar locales and found it one of Jacomo's most underwhelming products.

Ditto for Talisman. Not worthy of its house.

I love Theorema, although I tend to wear the esprit d'ete version more often. The original makes me smell like I took a pound of mixed chocolates and smeared them into my skin.

Take care also not to confuse Paradox by Jacomo with Paradoxe by Cardin. The latter was quite good as I recall, and came in stunning black/white packaging.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 22nd November 2011 at 06:40 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    Take care also not to confuse Paradox by Jacomo with Paradoxe by Cardin. The latter was quite good as I recall, and came in stunning black/white packaging.
    yes, I agree that Paradoxe by Cardin is definately in a higher class of scent
    A Scent Rescuer