Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Cartier Declaration Cologne. Why no talk of this?

You're right Buzzle. The name throws people off. In fact, it is extremely difficult searching for it online, because all the other flankers come up, and rightfully so, given it's name. Also, because there are so many flankers, when the sales assistant first asked me if I had tried Declaration, my first response was YES, I am familiar with all of them, so I wanted to move along to the other frags, but then she was like there is a new one. I'm thinkin like okay, I already have a fav among the flankers (L'Essence), and I doubt they'll have something better than that. But sure enough, they did. Maybe not better, but equally nice, and different.

My TJ Maxx has the original Declaration EDT marked down to $32.00 from $39.99. Too good to pass up, so I snagged a bottle today. Considering retail price, that's a heck of a deal. My wife and I both like it a lot.

Some questions about this flanker: -The name is Declaration cologne, but does it have a EDT or EDC strenght? Do you think it`s a "sport-fresh" type of fragrance, or is it elegant like the original? Is it a limited edition, or will it be in long-lasting production?

For Oslo-Fjord:

- Its EDT strength. I think its only called Cologne because its trying to take Declaration in an Eau de Cologne direction, but in a different way than Eau Genereuse did. Personally, I think its got a long way away from Declaration to the point it could have been called something else.
    - I wouldn't call it elegant like the Declaration, Pour Monsieur and Colonias you've already got, no definitely not. Fresh is this stuff raison d'etre, fresh as in the opposite of sweaty. In the promo release from Cartier when it was launched, there was a quote attributed to Mathilde Laurent, saying she wanted to make something that epitomised fresh without using a single Aquatic/Marine note. Dunno about sporty, maybe, I remember saying in the past this could easily been called Declaration Sport and I'm glad they didn't because of the negative attitude to that word on BN. Its a definite "wake up call/pick me up" kind of smell. Somewhat sharp/sour, and dry to the bone. Imagine eating a sharp/sour food, and it sucks all the moisture out of your mouth... that effect.
    - Its not a limited edition. How long it lasts before it gets discontinued remains to be seen (I'm buying a backup).

I see you like Grey Vetiver. Declaration Cologne is most definitely for Vetiver fans. Take the drydown of Grey Vetiver, and make it more dry, parched. Add the ginger note from Origins Ginger Essence and then the way that Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert fakes a tea note from Bergamot, Cardamom and Jasmine, and you are kind of in the ballpark.
    Last edited by andym72; 3rd December 2011 at 09:44 AM.

ok. Thanks for the detailed info ;-)

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I will sample it quite likely
    Currently wearing: Rich Leather by Zara

I don't get "dry" like Andy does. Definetely fresh. Not as sophisticated or elegant as Declaration or L'essence, but super fresh. This is that early spring morning/cool fall day fresh kinda scent. Ginger & citrus. It is quite invigorating. What has become somewhat disappointing about it, though, is the longevity of the topnotes. I'd like for that ginger to stick around a little longer and remain strong. Seems like it tapers off a bit quickly. Good scent nonetheless. One of my favorite citruses...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    ...Take the drydown of Grey Vetiver, and make it more dry, parched. Add the ginger note from Origins Ginger Essence and then the way that Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert fakes a tea note from Bergamot, Cardamom and Jasmine, and you are kind of in the ballpark.
    This is a wonderful description I completely agree with.

I still have a little bit left of my bottle of Declaration Eau de Genereuse, which IMO is a bit stronger than this one...but the Cologne is definitely more 'biting' in the top notes - zingy!
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Why no talk of thos cologne? Because its a hidden secret! hahaha. There are so many suitable summer/aquatic/summery scents out there and some are amazing, Paul Smith Sunshine is a great one. But this is so so refreshing it totally blasts of Lemongrass, fresh root ginger and a great lemon scent. Fantastic summer scent.

Bought minis of the original and the cologne a few months ago and I really like both. The longevity of the cologne is good in my opinion, as I would tend to wear it in high temperatures and it lasts longer than most 'lighter' frags out there.

Thumbs up Re: Cartier Declaration Cologne. Why no talk of this?

I have a love-hate relationship with all declaration series by Cartie as I get a bit of a headache (really) despite the fact that I do like the actual frags ... then I tried the Cologne version which I realized was an EDT in the line of ... colognes ... meaning fresh. And I was not disappointed at all! In fact I love it. It is a dry citrus frag (it could be a bit more for my taste), long lasting, and very very pleasant to wear. A pick-me-up for sure ... but not in a silly way. Well done!

I think I`ve been too quick when downgrade this fragrance (I`ve only tried it on paper). I`ve tested it on skin for a while now, and it`s actualy quite nice. Very crisp and fresh. They have removed all the sharp spicy notes from the original, and replaced it with fresh crisp ginger and citrus notes. I think this is a very casual scent, and great for spring and summer day-time wear. Now I`m eager to try the D`un Soir version!

Glad it's growing on you Oslo!

Finally me & Larwiz are getting some converts to this one!

Sound Scents

I am one of the few that couldn't wear and enjoy the original due to its large use of cumin and cardamom (which to my nose come off smelling like BO in many cases, as it did with the original)... I like and could definitely wear Declaration Cologne though as it removes the offending elements, instead adding the ginger (as mentioned previously by Oslo-Fjord) which smells great. It certainly deserves more love, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie
    Currently wearing: Rose Cut by Ann Gerard

I may need to check this one out, I already have a few colognes to sample this weekend, lets hope bloomingdales got it. I like the fact that it has quality ingredients, would have to test it to be sure. Is this more of a seasonal-summer scent?

thanks for the post

Interesting to hear. I've been wanting scent with a fresh ginger root smell.
    I'd only really tried 5 o'clock gingembre, but found it a bit sweet on paper and rather cloying on my skin. Hopefully I can check of Cartier Declaration Cologne.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I liked this -- it's not particularly masculine--but in the end didn't want a full bottle.

Instead I bought Demeter Gingerale (and love it!),so keep that one in mind if Declaration Cologne edt doesn't do it for you.

I dislike the original , but really like this. Planning on buying a bottle for the next summer.
    And as far as I can remember , I had no problems with longevity .

Quote Originally Posted by freshvibes View Post
    I may need to check this one out, I already have a few colognes to sample this weekend, lets hope bloomingdales got it. I like the fact that it has quality ingredients, would have to test it to be sure. Is this more of a seasonal-summer scent?

thanks for the post
    You can off course use it all year round, but IMO it works best in spring and summer.

is it me or not?
    Today I am using Terre D'Hermes and I am feeling that after 6 hours I feel/smell a little Cartier in this D'Hermes