Code of Conduct

Default Cartier Declaration Cologne. Why no talk of this?

I'm talking about the flanker that came out this year. It has the most true and dominant ginger note I have ever smelled in a fragrance. And that ginger plus the citrus makes it absolutely fresh and remarkable to me. But I see absolutely no speak of it on here. Why so? Surely I am not the only one that is smitten with this fragrance? Btw-I will own it NEXT WEEK! I can't wait!

Default Re: Cartier Declaration Cologne. Why no talk of this?

Does it smell like Burberry Sport, ie. the lovechild of Dior Homme Sport and more alcohol added to cut longevity to 1 hr?

Post Thanks / Like

I tried it awhile back, and it didn't last long enough to make much of an impression. It was a nice little tonic while it lasted, though. Ended up buying the original, which I absolutely love.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I tried it awhile back, and it didn't last long enough to make much of an impression.
    I agree.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

It smells nothing like Burberry Sport. I gave it a full wearing last Saturday, and it lasted quite some time on my skin. thing is though, after the first half an hour or so, the ginger seemed to have turned into a somewhat liqorice smell. But man, those top notes are just so nice, I have to have it! Later I sniffed, and it was a clear ginger, but just a little muted.

Also, I prefer Declaration L'Essence to the other flankers. That is on my short list as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Larwiz, my favorite is L'Essence, but the cologne is very nice for a hot day.
    Evenstar

I love the original!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I'm confused by this post. Why do you consider Cartier Declaration a flanker? I consider it a classic fragrance. I also have Cartier Bois Bleu, which I suppose is a flanker, but I like it even better...it's not quite so strong with the spice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flashpoint321 View Post
    I'm confused by this post. Why do you consider Cartier Declaration a flanker? I consider it a classic fragrance. I also have Cartier Bois Bleu, which I suppose is a flanker, but I like it even better...it's not quite so strong with the spice.
    Cartier Declaration (1998) is the original, a classic.

Cartier Declaration Cologne (2010) is a flanker.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

I agree that Declaration Cologne is an amazing, beautiful smell. Much better than the original IMO.

I completely agree. It is very underrated.

Soooo underrated! It is probably my favorite citrusy warm weather fragrance. I think Declaration L'Essence is great too, and hopefully, I'll have that one soon as well.
    Last edited by Larwiz; 5th January 2011 at 01:06 AM.

So, not to derail the thread, but I've been interested in Declaration for a long time. Have never tried it, or any of its flankers. Which would be most suitable for a woman, or is one more "feminine" than the others?

I really don't know how to answer that. I think Declaration Cologne could be worn by a woman. It's ginger and citrus, which a woman could definetely pull off.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I love the original!
    Same here.

Ginger and citrus – sounds good! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Citrus and ginger are my top favorite notes for warm weather scents. So, I'm definitely going to give this a try. Thanks!

Question: How long does Declaration Cologne last on your skin?

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I am in love with this one. It takes the Declaration that I know and love and brightens it up very nicely.

Yes, it is very close to the Declaration Eau Genereuse flanker that came out and was discontinued (that I own) but the DEG has a slightly more minty accord to it, whereas the Cologne relies solely on bright citrus top notes. When I run out of my bottle of DEG, I am definitely looking into getting a bottle of this.

Haunani - a woman could wear any of the Declaration formulations. If I were you I would start with testing the original and then work your way thru the flankers. I like them all except for the Bois Bleu one that IMO is just too fresh/watery for my tastes.

New Harlem: Declaration has amazing longevity. It is a fragrance that I can smell immediately on someone when I smell people in public spaces. If a man near me has Declaration on, I can easily smell it. It, like Terre de Hermes, has amazing sillage, tenacity, longevity.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 4th January 2011 at 10:31 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Soooo overrated! It is probably my favorite citrusy warm weather fragrance. I think Declaration L'Essence is great too, and hopefully, I'll have that one soon as well.
    I'm sure you meant underrated, Larwiz. Have you tried Guerlain Homme L'Eau? I very much enjoyed that one as well, same kind of idea, using tart, almost piquant citrus notes to create freshness instead of using Marine notes.

What are you waiting for man, get the L'Essence! Oh, and don't bother layering these two, I tried. The cumin in L'Essence just overpowers Cologne.

I never commented on this thread before to give my appreciation of Declaration Cologne, the thread had run out of steam before I could comment and I didn't feel like bouncing it. I did try and convince Marc from YouTube (aka Robes08) to try it out, don't know if he did.

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    Citrus and ginger are my top favorite notes for warm weather scents. So, I'm definitely going to give this a try. Thanks!

Question: How long does Declaration Cologne last on your skin?
    The citrus top, that is mainly an Earl Grey Tea form of Bergamot to me, maybe 2 hours. But the Ginger, which Larwiz has already described correctly as snapping fresh Ginger Root in two, just keeps coming back for more! You think it has died off, and then you get another waft of it and you realise you have just become acclimatised to it. I get 6+ hours of the Ginger along with the non-earthy Vetiver, easily.
    Last edited by andym72; 5th January 2011 at 11:26 AM.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

---
    Last edited by petruccijc; 5th January 2011 at 10:10 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Lots of great frags but only so much time. And then there is a lot of attention given to lousy or mediocre ones (I'm looking at you Pure Malt LOL).

Post Thanks / Like

I liked this quite a bit when I sampled it in the late Summer.

If it's still available when the temps start to climb, I may have to spring for a bottle.

The longevity on me wasn't great, but not a deal breaker.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Andy, yeah, that was a typo. I meant UNDERRATED. L'Essence is a fragrance I have tried several times, and time after time, I have liked it. Thing is though, I have SEVERAL fragrances on my TO BUY list, but I said I would cut back a lil bit on my purchases a lil bit. Trying to save a lil bit. But L'Essence, probably Marc Jacobs Bang, Amouage Reflection, Creed MI, and SDV are already on my to buy list.

Post Thanks / Like

How would this compare to Dior Homme Sport? Has a citrus and ginger note as well.

When I tried Dior Homme Sport, I was unimpressed with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, guys. I was only able to find and order a sample of L'Essence online. I'll have to test the cologne version at the mall.

Quote Originally Posted by luvinfragsguy View Post
    How would this compare to Dior Homme Sport? Has a citrus and ginger note as well.
    Yes, you'd think that since the 'Citrus and Ginger' label can be hung on Dior Homme Sport, Burberry Sport and Declaration Cologne, that they would all be alike, especially as the first 2 come across as similar.

But no.

All the notes in DHS come across to me as very artificial, whereas the notes in Declaration Cologne are much more 'true to life' (I'm not kidding myself that any of it is natural!)

DHS has a Citrus that can't make its mind up if its Grapefruit or Lemon, and can give thoughts of bathroom cleaning products. Then the Ginger is just the disembodied zing or fizz of Ginger like L'Eau d'Issey. Its got a Lavender note that comes across as soapy, and then it settles to a ambery Wood smell (and I cant pick out what wood its supposed to be). Plus, taking into account the price Dior command for this stuff, its longevity is abysmal.

Declaration Cologne starts with Bergamot combined with Cardamom, which isn't exactly like Earl Grey Tea but sure reminds you of this. The Ginger note is juicy and 'true', not really any other way to say it. The drydown is parched, a dry woody vetiver with no rooty/earthyness. And while its not going to last hours and hours compared like the original Declaration, considering it is a fresh citrus it has surprisingly good longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    Declaration Cologne starts with Bergamot combined with Cardamom, which isn't exactly like Earl Grey Tea but sure reminds you of this. The Ginger note is juicy and 'true', not really any other way to say it. The drydown is parched, a dry woody vetiver with no rooty/earthyness. And while its not going to last hours and hours compared like the original Declaration, considering it is a fresh citrus it has surprisingly good longevity.
    Does it smell similar to YSL L'Homme or D&G The One at all?

New Haarlem, have you ever smelled fresh ginger? If you have, this fragrance smells like actual fresh ginger mixed with the freshness of lemon and/or lime. THat's what this smells like. It may have some other stuff up in it...cardmom, bergamot, etc, but at it's core: ginger and citrus. No, it doesn't smell similar to either of those two.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not tried it yet. Declaration Cologne has the problem of a name that is so close to the original Cartier Declaration that people pass it by thinking it is the same old fragrance. I honestly didn't know it was a new flanker. I must try this soon, as L' Essence de Declaration Cartier is my favorite replacement for the overused synthetic "fresh" or "aquatic" woods fragrances.

You're right Buzzle. The name throws people off. In fact, it is extremely difficult searching for it online, because all the other flankers come up, and rightfully so, given it's name. Also, because there are so many flankers, when the sales assistant first asked me if I had tried Declaration, my first response was YES, I am familiar with all of them, so I wanted to move along to the other frags, but then she was like there is a new one. I'm thinkin like okay, I already have a fav among the flankers (L'Essence), and I doubt they'll have something better than that. But sure enough, they did. Maybe not better, but equally nice, and different.

Post Thanks / Like

My TJ Maxx has the original Declaration EDT marked down to $32.00 from $39.99. Too good to pass up, so I snagged a bottle today. Considering retail price, that's a heck of a deal. My wife and I both like it a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Some questions about this flanker: -The name is Declaration cologne, but does it have a EDT or EDC strenght? Do you think it`s a "sport-fresh" type of fragrance, or is it elegant like the original? Is it a limited edition, or will it be in long-lasting production?

For Oslo-Fjord:

- Its EDT strength. I think its only called Cologne because its trying to take Declaration in an Eau de Cologne direction, but in a different way than Eau Genereuse did. Personally, I think its got a long way away from Declaration to the point it could have been called something else.
    - I wouldn't call it elegant like the Declaration, Pour Monsieur and Colonias you've already got, no definitely not. Fresh is this stuff raison d'etre, fresh as in the opposite of sweaty. In the promo release from Cartier when it was launched, there was a quote attributed to Mathilde Laurent, saying she wanted to make something that epitomised fresh without using a single Aquatic/Marine note. Dunno about sporty, maybe, I remember saying in the past this could easily been called Declaration Sport and I'm glad they didn't because of the negative attitude to that word on BN. Its a definite "wake up call/pick me up" kind of smell. Somewhat sharp/sour, and dry to the bone. Imagine eating a sharp/sour food, and it sucks all the moisture out of your mouth... that effect.
    - Its not a limited edition. How long it lasts before it gets discontinued remains to be seen (I'm buying a backup).

I see you like Grey Vetiver. Declaration Cologne is most definitely for Vetiver fans. Take the drydown of Grey Vetiver, and make it more dry, parched. Add the ginger note from Origins Ginger Essence and then the way that Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert fakes a tea note from Bergamot, Cardamom and Jasmine, and you are kind of in the ballpark.
    Last edited by andym72; 3rd December 2011 at 09:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

ok. Thanks for the detailed info ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I will sample it quite likely

I don't get "dry" like Andy does. Definetely fresh. Not as sophisticated or elegant as Declaration or L'essence, but super fresh. This is that early spring morning/cool fall day fresh kinda scent. Ginger & citrus. It is quite invigorating. What has become somewhat disappointing about it, though, is the longevity of the topnotes. I'd like for that ginger to stick around a little longer and remain strong. Seems like it tapers off a bit quickly. Good scent nonetheless. One of my favorite citruses...

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    ...Take the drydown of Grey Vetiver, and make it more dry, parched. Add the ginger note from Origins Ginger Essence and then the way that Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert fakes a tea note from Bergamot, Cardamom and Jasmine, and you are kind of in the ballpark.
    This is a wonderful description I completely agree with.

I still have a little bit left of my bottle of Declaration Eau de Genereuse, which IMO is a bit stronger than this one...but the Cologne is definitely more 'biting' in the top notes - zingy!
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Why no talk of thos cologne? Because its a hidden secret! hahaha. There are so many suitable summer/aquatic/summery scents out there and some are amazing, Paul Smith Sunshine is a great one. But this is so so refreshing it totally blasts of Lemongrass, fresh root ginger and a great lemon scent. Fantastic summer scent.

Bought minis of the original and the cologne a few months ago and I really like both. The longevity of the cologne is good in my opinion, as I would tend to wear it in high temperatures and it lasts longer than most 'lighter' frags out there.

Thumbs up Re: Cartier Declaration Cologne. Why no talk of this?

I have a love-hate relationship with all declaration series by Cartie as I get a bit of a headache (really) despite the fact that I do like the actual frags ... then I tried the Cologne version which I realized was an EDT in the line of ... colognes ... meaning fresh. And I was not disappointed at all! In fact I love it. It is a dry citrus frag (it could be a bit more for my taste), long lasting, and very very pleasant to wear. A pick-me-up for sure ... but not in a silly way. Well done!

Post Thanks / Like

I think I`ve been too quick when downgrade this fragrance (I`ve only tried it on paper). I`ve tested it on skin for a while now, and it`s actualy quite nice. Very crisp and fresh. They have removed all the sharp spicy notes from the original, and replaced it with fresh crisp ginger and citrus notes. I think this is a very casual scent, and great for spring and summer day-time wear. Now I`m eager to try the D`un Soir version!

Glad it's growing on you Oslo!

Finally me & Larwiz are getting some converts to this one!

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

I am one of the few that couldn't wear and enjoy the original due to its large use of cumin and cardamom (which to my nose come off smelling like BO in many cases, as it did with the original)... I like and could definitely wear Declaration Cologne though as it removes the offending elements, instead adding the ginger (as mentioned previously by Oslo-Fjord) which smells great. It certainly deserves more love, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I may need to check this one out, I already have a few colognes to sample this weekend, lets hope bloomingdales got it. I like the fact that it has quality ingredients, would have to test it to be sure. Is this more of a seasonal-summer scent?

thanks for the post

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting to hear. I've been wanting scent with a fresh ginger root smell.
    I'd only really tried 5 o'clock gingembre, but found it a bit sweet on paper and rather cloying on my skin. Hopefully I can check of Cartier Declaration Cologne.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I liked this -- it's not particularly masculine--but in the end didn't want a full bottle.

Instead I bought Demeter Gingerale (and love it!),so keep that one in mind if Declaration Cologne edt doesn't do it for you.

I dislike the original , but really like this. Planning on buying a bottle for the next summer.
    And as far as I can remember , I had no problems with longevity .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by freshvibes View Post
    I may need to check this one out, I already have a few colognes to sample this weekend, lets hope bloomingdales got it. I like the fact that it has quality ingredients, would have to test it to be sure. Is this more of a seasonal-summer scent?

thanks for the post
    You can off course use it all year round, but IMO it works best in spring and summer.

Post Thanks / Like

is it me or not?
    Today I am using Terre D'Hermes and I am feeling that after 6 hours I feel/smell a little Cartier in this D'Hermes