Code of Conduct

Default What is a "sport" fragrance?

Isn't it just another marketing term for casual?

Default Re: What is a "sport" fragrance?

You got it Geki. Sport equals casual wear.

You will read comments from men who get offended by the term sport on a fragrance. What does this have to do with sports ? Well, nothing. But long before you and I, the term sportswear existed. At least that is what my limited knowledge of mens fashion history told me ( I used to read British GQ Magazine).

Theres nothing wrong with new marketing terms. The only wrong thing, to me, is rehashing the same tired and unfortunate fragrance.

By the way, there are many nice "Sport" fragrances out there : Kouros Cologne Sport...okay, that is all I can think of. Still, I am sure there are some out there for all of us.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Sport is usually a flanker (addition), so when there's a fragrance that sells really well, the companies want to take advantage of customers who already like it and the brand equity that's been built. To do that, they release various "new" updated versions of the scent. One of the easiest ones to do is a lighter version, often the "sport" one, or "summer edition". In some cases they may make an "extreme" or "concentree", etc version, which usually means it's more concentrated (although often it may either be almost an entirely different scent, or it's no more long lasting, it just amplifies certain notes and tones down others).
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I think Surfacing and Master-Classter are both correct.

Some perfume houses may have released fragrances designed specifically for use while doing sports or afterwards, but it's hard to say. These fragrances would have been relatively light and refreshing, having an effect almost like a traditional cologne. After all, no one wants to wear a heavy, serious frag while playing tennis or lifting weights.

But I believe in general that most of the Sport frags are intended for casual wear, whether doing sports or not. Many of them are flankers, or variations, of an existing fragrance. The Sport version, sometimes bearing little resemblance to the original, is almost always lighter, fresher, with very subtle base notes, and isn't particularly long lasting.

Many younger people prefer these type scents, so it is a way for a perfume house to take advantage of an already existing name and draw customers who may know the brand and name but may or may not necessarily like the original fragrance.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by GekiGAngerII View Post
    Isn't it just another marketing term for casual?
    In most cases it's usually just another marketing term for CRAP.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 3rd October 2010 at 07:47 AM.