Code of Conduct

Default My adventures with jammed stopper bottles...

Being new to eBay, no one told me that vintage splash perfume bottles can become seriously jammed!

I first learned of this with a 1/2 oz Shalimar bottle from the 90s,when the small blue fan stopper refused to budge.

Without consulting online, I tried a scientific method: soak the bottle below the label in almost boiling water(to minimise possibility of cracking), hold ice to the stopper & keep trying at intervals to see if it'll come lose.

Within 5 minutes, air pockets appeared in the space between the neck & the stopper & I pried the stopper lose, thinking myself a genius.

Next, about 3 weeks later, a small Lalique disc bottle of L'Air du temps arrived, and again the tiny spherical stopper was jammed.

This proved more delicate than the last time, as I had to keep the bottle in the hot water bowl for about 30 minutes before any sign of progress, and eventually,which felt like a long time, the stopper unglued & came loose,after a last almighty twist.

Now, I have my biggest challenge yet: a large 2 oz Baccarat glass bottle of L'Heure Bleue. I started about 2 hours ago with the same method:keeping the bottle half-submerged in near boiling water & replenishing it while I kept ice on the stopper.

Half-an-hour passed, and the stopper was as frozen as when I started!

Then my mum suggested running very hot water from the heater onto the neck, which I did, while also putting ice against the stopper. I tilted the bottle as close to vertical as possible because the bottle is 95% full of the wonderful juice and it would splash out if the stopper shot out.

Kept going at it for another half-hour before I called it a day, as the neck showed no signs whatsover of wanting to release the stopper.Better safe than sorry, as they say!

Well, there's an upside to this:

Now I can smell the heavenly unmistakably hearbreakingly beautiful scent of LHB from the neck due to the escape of the scent molecules during this ordeal!

[Also, I gain some insight into why the seller accepted my offer of $95 for this bottle & box, PLUS throwing in another 5" tall empty bottle of LHB(coincidentally also stuck) for free!]
    Last edited by domperrier; 2nd October 2010 at 09:37 AM.

Default Re: My adventures with jammed stopper bottles...

Had the same problem with the Creed Flacons, not sure if this will work for you but I know the glass they use is very strong. Try giving it 2 hard taps on a hard surface to the top on each side, this should get it loose. Wrap the stopper is a rag or something as well when you do this.
    John
    Fragrance Reviews & Splits on YouTube
    Http://www.YouTube.com/user/itmllc

Quote Originally Posted by Inscentz View Post
    Had the same problem with the Creed Flacons, not sure if this will work for you but I know the glass they use is very strong. Try giving it 2 hard taps on a hard surface to the top on each side, this should get it loose. Wrap the stopper is a rag or something as well when you do this.
    Good suggestion!

My heart will be fluttering when I try it(as the heart-shaped stopper is rather fragile looking & may not withstand the knocks without cracking/chipping) but it's worth a shot...

Basenotes Institution

Helg of perfumeshrine has this about stuck bottle stoppers..
    http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...pen-stuck.html

It has happened to me before too with vintage Joy Parfum and vintage Shalimar parfum . Both cases, I was lucky enough to get them open after some huffing and swearing..
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I know it sounds pretty basic, but I have never failed to open a bottle by using the following method:

Place the bottle (unboxed) at the back of your refrigerator for 20mins.

Remove from fridge, and grip firmly in your hands.

Twist stopper in a counter-clockwise direction.

They have always popped off.

Oh, and if you have any of these lying around...

... the pimpled surface on the palm of the glove and fingertips will give you a super-human grip. Those stoppers will loosen as if buttered.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Helg of perfumeshrine has this about stuck bottle stoppers..
    http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...pen-stuck.html

It has happened to me before too with vintage Joy Parfum and vintage Shalimar parfum . Both cases, I was lucky enough to get them open after some huffing and swearing..
    OMG...Thanks so much for that info!

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    I know it sounds pretty basic, but I have never failed to open a bottle by using the following method:

Thank you so much,Dmitri...I will definitely go for it next week, when my nerves have settled a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post

I just gained some nerve & tried what you suggested.

No luck: the stopper is stuck tighter than any glue Selley's might have produced.

Stopped trying because I have a nasty fear that something will have to give way(either chip or crack) before the neck will release this stopper.

The stopper is very very slightly tilted off vertical(about 2-3 degrees) so I suspect that in the long ago past, someone might have impacted the stopper against something, jamming it tightly into the neck.

That would explain why it's still so full of the juice, as no one in their right mind would not use at least some of it!

Will try Mimi's suggested source next week...

It's like a stubborn kid, who goes against your every endeavour to achieve something productive out of him...the bottle will not yield its magical potion to me...not today.

Please, please, please... be careful. Whatever you do to get that stopper off, be prepared for the possibility of breakage. Wear those rubber kitchen gloves to reduce the chance of cutting your skin. Also, hold the bottle over/in a deep tray or container to catch the perfume if it spills. Have a funnel, filter and bottle/atomizer ready. If the stopper comes out, great. If the glass breaks, you'll be prepared. Best of luck...
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bon Vivant View Post
    Please, please, please... be careful. Whatever you do to get that stopper off, be prepared for the possibility of breakage. Wear those rubber kitchen gloves to reduce the chance of cutting your skin. Also, hold the bottle over/in a deep tray or container to catch the perfume if it spills. Have a funnel, filter and bottle/atomizer ready. If the stopper comes out, great. If the glass breaks, you'll be prepared. Best of luck...
    Thanks for the concern

I would be the most devastated if the stopper cracks/chips/breaks so I'll be very careful.

Will be trying ideas from Mimi's link next week because it seems least likely to cause damage to the bottle, but of course, the alcohol could leak into & contaminate the juice.

Can't wait to see what happens... Hopefully nothing breaks or spills... Good luck!

Will be trying the refrigerator cure this afternoon on a bottle I have had for 3 years in frustration!

Reine

The fact that you can smell the perfume is a good sign. I think it won't be long now.

Let it sit for a day or so, and then resume the light tap-tap-tapping on the sides of the stopper. A piece of hard wood is good for this. Keep going around and around. You method of warming the bottle while cooling the stopper is scientifically proven. Unfortunately, the dried and hardened perfume oils can be very difficult to redissolve. However, the perfume itself is one of the best solvents, and it's right there where you need it. However, a few drops of acetone at the joint of the stopper will dissolve nearly anything.

I think you will succeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Late-Hit View Post
    The fact that you can smell the perfume is a good sign. I think it won't be long now.

Let it sit for a day or so, and then resume the light tap-tap-tapping on the sides of the stopper. A piece of hard wood is good for this. Keep going around and around. You method of warming the bottle while cooling the stopper is scientifically proven. Unfortunately, the dried and hardened perfume oils can be very difficult to redissolve. However, the perfume itself is one of the best solvents, and it's right there where you need it. However, a few drops of acetone at the joint of the stopper will dissolve nearly anything.

I think you will succeed!
    Thanks for your confidence

I'm just afraid the acetone will leak into, and contaminate the wonderful juice.

Will attempt different methods & work it slowly...

I suppose alcohol could dissolve the hardened perfume which glues the stopper closed. Could one not use another perfume, a few drops of the same perfume from another bottle to try and dissolve it a bit? That wouldn't hurt the original perfume if some should get into the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by reine View Post
    Will be trying the refrigerator cure this afternoon on a bottle I have had for 3 years in frustration!

Reine
    Let us know how this works for you Reine

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    I suppose alcohol could dissolve the hardened perfume which glues the stopper closed. Could one not use another perfume, a few drops of the same perfume from another bottle to try and dissolve it a bit? That wouldn't hurt the original perfume if some should get into the bottle.
    I could use the several drops of LHB edt that I have left in my teardrop bottle, that is as bad as contamination since the character of the EDT & extrait are totally different.

I have another half-evaporated 1 oz bottle of LHB extrait whose seal I will have to break to access the contents, which I don't think is worth it.

So I'm in a bit of a fix here...

I also read about a trick: popping them off with a knife, either here on basenotes, or on a perfume blog...
    One holds the bottle, and the other uses two knives, and somehow pops off the stopper, apparently a very good technique. But I can't remember where exactly I read about the correct procedure...

I read this online, too. Can't remember what site. Goes like this: Slide two butter knives under the stopper at opposing sides, touching the stem of the stopper; push the knife handles quickly, firmly and simultaneously down towards the ground (like levers). The stopper might go flying... This method definitely requires two people, one to hold the bottle and another very brave soul to operate on it.

If you use only one knife then you'll shatter the glass.

Edit: OK, found it:

http://thevintageperfumevault.blogsp...k-perfume.html
    Last edited by Mr. Bon Vivant; 5th October 2010 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Voila
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

ha! Thanks for the ideas. I've had a tiny bottle of Chamade for months and I had already resigned to just looking at it. 5minutes in the freezer and it opened right up! yay!

Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    ha! Thanks for the ideas. I've had a tiny bottle of Chamade for months and I had already resigned to just looking at it. 5minutes in the freezer and it opened right up! yay!
    Good to hear darkdreams Works every time for me also.

Freezer??Won't that spoil the juice?

I thought only the refrigerator...

Quote Originally Posted by domperrier View Post
    Freezer??Won't that spoil the juice?

I thought only the refrigerator...
    I only kept it for a few minutes. Probably less than 5. The bottle was cold to the touch but I don't think the liquid had enough time to get too cold. Letting it freeze is probably a bad idea.

I'm trying it now, and it's been in for about 15, but still the stopper won't budge...

Basenotes Plus

If nothing else will work, you could try running it under hot water, it worked for one of mine years ago.

edit- Just make sure you don't try hot water on a cold bottle.
    Let us share each precious moment and enjoy the ones we love for each day is a new beginning and a blessing from above.

What a wonderful X'mas gift! I tried again after 2 months to pry the hopelessly-stuck stopper from my 2 oz bottle of LHB extrait, and an almighty twist loosened the stopper and the decades-old genie has been released!

Merry X'mas to all!

Blog Entries

Good! I'm trying it right now with a stuck stopper.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Good! I'm trying it right now with a stuck stopper.
    30 roses, here is a blog I wrote about removing stuck stoppers. This method works for me 9 times out of 10

Blog Entries

Thanks, Dimitri!