Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Where can I find solid perfumes for traveling???

Here's the problem -

I'm going on a trip in a few months to meet someone special. We're old friends with a spark between us. But it's just a few days, and I'm not going to be checking in any bags for my flight - carry on bag only. the regulations prohibit liquids on board, so I have to resort to a solid version of some fragrance.

I've looked on the internet, but so far I really can't find much of anything in solid form. I know Penhaligon's has a few solid versions of their older scents, but quite honestly I'm not a Penhaligon's fan (and can't see spending $80 for a .33 oz tin). Does anyone know where I can find solid perfumes? anything - it doesn't necessarily have to be a men's fragrance. just something quality - preferably from a reputable fragrance house. my two favorite notes are rose and violet.

any advice or links would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Where can I find solid perfumes for traveling???

Is there a particular reason that no liquids at all are permitted? I've only been subjected to the max 3oz container in a 1 qt size zipper bag.

Bond No 9 has some, though I don't have any experience with them. You can just get the refills to save some $$$

http://www.bondno9.com/shop/bodies-b...-perfume-token

Diptyque has a few solids.

Spray the inside of a small ziploc bag (not the big zipper ones) with the juice of choice; 10-15 sprays, seal it tight. Then when you get to your destination use it like a roll on fragrance.

amouage makes some, only women ones though. Pacifica, which is mainly a candles brand, makes some as well, not that great.

To be honest, just go to the closest sephora or whatever brick and mortar store near you, and ask for Solid perfumes, chances are you won't find something for men, at least not for cheap. An 0.33 oz tin goes a long way though. Anyway I have doubts liquids are a 100% no no on flight. Just take some decants with you.

Blog Entries

For a cheaper option, try Lush. I like their scent called Go Green, which is a really grassy vetiver. And I'll second Diptyque. If you like rose and violet, you'd probably love L'Ombre dans L'Eau.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by grm215 View Post
    Is there a particular reason that no liquids at all are permitted? I've only been subjected to the max 3oz container in a 1 qt size zipper bag.

It's an airline thing - Aer Lingus has recently implemented a zero-tolerance policy on any liquids brought on board in the cabin (you can certainly check-in bags containing liquids, but as I said, I won't be checking in any bags).

I've seen the Bond No. 9's . . . they really don't offer much though . . . wondering if any of the major houses like Chanel, Guerlain, Caron, sell items in solids . . .

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    For a cheaper option, try Lush. I like their scent called Go Green, which is a really grassy vetiver. And I'll second Diptyque. If you like rose and violet, you'd probably love L'Ombre dans L'Eau.

This one looks really good! Diptyque is a great house, and this one in particular looks like something I'd enjoy . . . thanks for this rogalal!!!

i would say decant some stuff, you can carry a bit put them in good bags, if not look for a scent or two over there.

Why can't you just check the bag you planned on carrying on??

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Why can't you just check the bag you planned on carrying on??
    Why pay to check a bag that I can carry on for free?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Do they not even allow the 3 oz. sizes of liquids that other airlines do? Because if so, then I've found that I can just decant my favorite fragrances into 2.5 ml or 5 ml. atomizers (which I buy online from Accessories for Fragrances.com-- they ship very fast, you'll have your order in a few days.) and these fit neatly into my quart-size ziplock bag that I pack my toothpaste/deodorant/hand sanitizer etc. into.

However if you really must use a solid, you can find little tins of Pacifica's solid perfumes for under $9 at Whole Foods (Milford, West Hartford, and Westport and Greenwich.) Pacifica makes various scents, mostly feminine but their Mediterranean Fig is nice. I wouldn't say any are roses or violets though.

Now, there is a fantastic store on Main Street Westport called bluemercury, and they carry Diptyque (and other fragrances), but I don't recall solid scents-- just the sprays and candles.

Okay, I am now recalling solids perfumes in the Zents line. These are sold at a store in Madison Ct called Foxglove. Was just there a few weeks ago. They also carry Crabtree & Evelyn and you could try their Evelyn Rose, a fresh rose scent.

There's a Sephora at West Farms mall, and they also carry a few of the Pacifica scents.

BTW you can edit your profile to show your location (which I now know is in my state.)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Do they not even allow the 3 oz. sizes of liquids that other airlines do? Because if so, then I've found that I can just decant my favorite fragrances into 2.5 ml or 5 ml. atomizers (which I buy online from Accessories for Fragrances.com-- they ship very fast, you'll have your order in a few days.) and these fit neatly into my quart-size ziplock bag that I pack my toothpaste/deodorant/hand sanitizer etc. into.

However if you really must use a solid, you can find little tins of Pacifica's solid perfumes for under $9 at Whole Foods (Milford, West Hartford, and Westport and Greenwich.) Pacifica makes various scents, mostly feminine but their Mediterranean Fig is nice. I wouldn't say any are roses or violets though.

Now, there is a fantastic store on Main Street Westport called bluemercury, and they carry Diptyque (and other fragrances), but I don't recall solid scents-- just the sprays and candles.

Okay, I am now recalling solids perfumes in the Zents line. These are sold at a store in Madison Ct called Foxglove. Was just there a few weeks ago. They also carry Crabtree & Evelyn and you could try their Evelyn Rose, a fresh rose scent.

There's a Sephora at West Farms mall, and they also carry a few of the Pacifica scents.

BTW you can edit your profile to show your location (which I now know is in my state.)
    Air travel is funny - I've flown so many times now that I've lost count, but I do know that, with the exception of Duty-Free purchases, what is allowed vs. what isn't is subject to the arbitrary decisions of those at the security gate. Case in point: when I flew from Prague to Dublin (Czech Airlines), the checkpoint allowed me to bring my Swiss Army Knife on board in my carry-on, but insisted that I throw my bottle of water away! My biggest fear is that I'll have a bottle of something really good - even if it's just a small bottle of Grey Flannel - and those at security will decide to make a scene and crack down on it regardless of what the policy actually is for that airline. I've spent the evening reading Aer Lingus' policy off their site, and they do make concessions for limited numbers of 3 oz fluids in clear plastic bags that can be easily inspected. They also allow for Duty-Free. I'll have to think about it a bit and decide if I want to take my chances, or just spring for a solid.

Blue Mercury in Westport looks amazing! Geez I gotta go there!!! Had no idea it was in CT. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by grm215 View Post

Bond No 9 has some, though I don't have any experience with them. You can just get the refills to save some $$$

http://www.bondno9.com/shop/bodies-b...-perfume-token
    Wall Street is very nice.....these are worth checking out for sure!!!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by karlovonamesti View Post
    wondering if any of the major houses like Chanel, Guerlain, Caron, sell items in solids . . .
    For what it's worth, I have seen beautiful solids of Chanel fragrances like Coco Mademoiselle and Chanel No 5, but those were limited editions and probably very hard to find.