Code of Conduct

Default Terre d'Hermes & Guerlain Vetiver

Hi,

I'm new to the threads and fragrances in any great detail as I usually just switch between Chanel Allure and Alure Sport.

However, I want to try something different for going out - usually bars and/or house parties. I was really keen to try Hermes Terre d'Hermes or Michael by Michael Kors.

Now reading through this forum I see that Michael is not even on the radar! I've read quite a few threads and it is not even mentioned.

I notice that in 2009 Terre d'Hermes came second to Guerlain Vetiver in the male fragrance category. Now, I'd love to buy Creed, but I just cannot afford that luxury at the minute so something else will have to suffice.

Another thing - I always thought that an eau de toillette was a male fragrance and that a parfum was for females. Is ee I am incorrect in this thought!?

Is Terre d'Hermes a suitable fragrance for evenings and secondly if it is should I opt for parfum or EDT?

Failing that, what are the other recommendations as I cannot find the 'Scent of the Year' thread for 2012.

Thanks,

FM.

Sound Scents

Default Re: Terre d'Hermes & Guerlain Vetiver

Terre d'Hermes is an amazing fragrance anytime, day or night year-round. Both the edt and pp are amazing and highly recommended. I do find the edt just a hair more versatile for what its worth though...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

EDT and Parfum aren't masculine or feminine, they just refer to the % of essential oils in the blend, so you can have the more usual "eau de Toilette" concentration or pay more for an "eau de Parfum" concentration of the same brand. (You also have "eau de cologne" concentration which is less again than the edt.
    I think Michael Kors is a good winter scent, either for sitting by the fire or going out. It's kind of a cigar and booze scent but I don't know if it's got any advantage over Allure Homme for a younger man. Maybe Terre D'Hermes could be better for you, it's probably suitable for all occasions, though I don't know if these orange notes will get you any more appreciation than those of Allure, particularly in the winter. I suggest you go to the nearest department store and spray them, along with a couple more, and don't be in too much of a hurry to choose one.

IMO you can't miss with Terre D'Hermes or Guerlain Vetiver.

I've always considered Terre d'Hermès more of a daytime scent. Given the choice between the two, I would go with the parfum (eau de parfum?). Actually, as a side note I have never been totally clear on this. Even the Hermès website refers to the same fragrance both as a pure parfum and an eau de parfum. I assume that it is, in reality, an eau de parfum and like the new Eau Sauvage Parfum is actually an EDP. Any thoughts here?

Quote Originally Posted by funkey_monkey View Post
    ...I always thought that an eau de toillette was a male fragrance and that a parfum was for females. Is ee I am incorrect in this thought!?
    G'day FM, and welcome to BN.

It's not true that parfum is for females and EDTs are for men - they merely refer to the concentrations of the perfume oils in the final product.

Post #4 in this thread http://www.basenotes.net/threads/277...enotes-101-FAQ gives a VERY basic overview of the strengths of the fragrance concentrations most commonly found today.

Yours is a common misconception, as it's true that traditionally many womens' frags are in the stronger EDP strength while many mens fragrances are in the EDT strength. This does not mean, however, that the concentrations are the sole domain of the respective genders.

Many niche fragrances come in EDP (or stronger) regardless of whether they are for men, women or both, and quite a few mainstream fragrance houses have caught on to this 'blurring of the lines', and released EDP strength frags for men - think L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme, Acqua di Gio Essenza, Dior Homme Intense, Terre d'Hermes* etc.

*in the case of Hermes, Parfum strength mens frags, although I'd be willing to say that the Voyage and Td'H Parfums are more closely akin to EDPs than super-strong parfums.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by andregooren View Post
    I've always considered Terre d'Hermès more of a daytime scent. Given the choice between the two, I would go with the parfum (eau de parfum?). Actually, as a side note I have never been totally clear on this. Even the Hermès website refers to the same fragrance both as a pure parfum and an eau de parfum. I assume that it is, in reality, an eau de parfum and like the new Eau Sauvage Parfum is actually an EDP. Any thoughts here?
    Terre is not an edp, it is indeed a pure Parfum (stronger concentration).
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

You can buy some of the most popular Creeds for around the same price as Terre d'Hermes and other colognes of that ilk ($70.00 or so). Check out www.lilydirect.com

They have a very good selection in 2.5 oz tester bottles and a 365 day return policy. Yes, they may come without the cap and box, but you would be buying quality fragrances and wouldn't likely be smelling like everyone else. Price is simply not a good excuse to not buy a Creed.....IF you want it. There are great prices online and through the splits here on Basenotes.

Guerlain Vetiver & TdH are both excellent fragrances.

For going to bars/parties, I would probably lean toward TdH (either EDT or PP). GV is nice, but I don't think of vetiver fragrances as "party" fragrances.

Not sure about your age, but with the same basic price range you may also want to try out Thierry Mugler Pure Malt or Pure Havane. Or Paco's 1 Million. Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille is also a good one for going out. Not to step away from your original two - those are nice fragrances - just not what I think of as crazy fun fragrances.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. Puredistance - Black

5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    7. Brückner - Aoud 1
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

It's so unfortunate that TdH gives me a headache, because I like it so much.

As for when to wear these...?

It is Always YOU that carries off whatever you wear. No matter the time of day.
    If you are filled with doubt and lack self confidence, then it doesn't matter what you wear.

This type of confidence comes from within, not from without, such as a fragrance that supposedly gives you some of it. A fragrance should in theory project and present your inner self filled personality/capability/personna, it can't make one for you...

A fragrance may help to multiply/augment your inner person as well though...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    You can buy some of the most popular Creeds for around the same price as Terre d'Hermes and other colognes of that ilk ($70.00 or so). Check out www.lilydirect.com

They have a very good selection in 2.5 oz tester bottles and a 365 day return policy. Yes, they may come without the cap and box, but you would be buying quality fragrances and wouldn't likely be smelling like everyone else. Price is simply not a good excuse to not buy a Creed.....IF you want it. There are great prices online and through the splits here on Basenotes.

That does seem remarkably cheap. For example, 4 oz Green Irish Tweed ,$113.
    Not so good for us in UK though.

Both TDH EDT and EDP are greatly versatile, more so than Guerlain Vetiver (a great fragrance in its own right), but either TDH EDT or EDP may be worn on almost any occasion.

My advice is not to rely on the popularity of a scent here on Basenotes. We are an odd crew with tastes that don't usually parallel the norm.
    Test to make sure you like something first. Samples and decants are readily purchased online.
    TdH is available for sample at Sephora.
    Guerlain Vetiver is a classic. -this means it might seem out of date to the younger crowd.

If you are wearing frags primarily to please the bar crowd or dinner guests, start with designer scents; there are some good ones.

I am not into Vetiver personally. Have you sampled it? TdH is a safer bet in my opinion. Both EDT and EDP are good, I have the EDP and like it.