Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Basenotes involved in Capitalistic fragrance marketing???

Random saturday afternoon thought, since to so many, fragrances are genderless, how come there are 'male' and 'female' fragrance discussions? shouldn't there be a general discussion board for all lovers of perfumery?

To separate the two is suggesting a difference in the two, which so many reject. Just saying.

Default Re: Basenotes involved in Capitalistic fragrance marketing???

The moderators may have thought it might be easier to find what you look for if the discussions are divided into "male" and "female" discussions. If I want to post a thread about Tom Fords Tobacco Vanille (marked as a masculine scent) I dont post it in the female discussion, simple because nearly no women wear it and because its a strong masculine fragrance. But the simplicity of finding what youre searching for might be the main reason.

The main reason is the history of Basenotes, which began as a forum for discussing mens fragrance. I'm personally in favor of merging the two boards.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Again, men may need to get mainly male perspectives on scents, as much as the ladies may require female perspectives. Its not about the scents but the discussants. In a genderless board it may be a bit awkward having to politely say "ladies need not respond".
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

That was the exact same question I asked myself when I first join BN. I'm also in favor of a merger.

Default Basenotes involved in Capitalistic fragrance marketing???

I think the idea of merging has been brought up before and members didn't want it.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Well, I guess even Basenoters have fragrance-related experiences ample and diversified enough to know that most frags are genderless and that gender-based segregation of frags indeed is mainly an issue of marketing, I guess the whole outline of the site is designed like this on grounds of better and faster accessibility
    Currently wearing: Citrus & Wood by Yardley

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I think the idea of merging has been brought up before and members didn't want it.
    I see, just an observation on my part, the title of this thread was supposed to be a 'tongue in cheek' comment, no offense intended basenotes!

I don't agree with Perfaddict's view on this question. Why, for instance, would a lady's perspective on Tobacco Vanille be less interesting for a male reader ? In what circumstances would it be pertinent to say "ladies need not respond" ? I'd be interested in having any opinion based on a member's experience or aesthetic judgement. Furthermore, as a man interested in perfumes, I find female perfumes as interesting as male perfumes. Many masculines owe something to Shalimar or Vol de nuit, for instance. One doesn't have to wear a perfume (if it is too much in the "other sex" category) to appreciate it, to discuss it, or to be interested in other members' opinions, irrespective of their sex.

I think it would be preferable to avoid creating an "old boy's club" atmosphere (or whatever the female equivalent might be) when we can all learn from one another.

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jlouismi View Post
    Random saturday afternoon thought, since to so many, fragrances are genderless, how come there are 'male' and 'female' fragrance discussions? shouldn't there be a general discussion board for all lovers of perfumery?

To separate the two is suggesting a difference in the two, which so many reject. Just saying.
    Just an afterthought--did you also post this on the Female Board?
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha

Maybe it's time for a good old poll about the subject?

Your point, jlouismi, is valid. I too would be in favor of merging the two or splitting them by other criteria for more user-friendliness. I have commented in the ladies' forum when a topic I am interested in comes up there. Sometimes I find it stupid to consider where to post it for "strategic reasons", because I usually don't like to post it twice.

Can someone please help me understand how dividing the forum into male/female discussions is considered capitalistic ?

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by encrenoire75 View Post
    I don't agree with Perfaddict's view on this question. Why, for instance, would a lady's perspective on Tobacco Vanille be less interesting for a male reader ? In what circumstances would it be pertinent to say "ladies need not respond" ? I'd be interested in having any opinion based on a member's experience or aesthetic judgement. Furthermore, as a man interested in perfumes, I find female perfumes as interesting as male perfumes. Many masculines owe something to Shalimar or Vol de nuit, for instance. One doesn't have to wear a perfume (if it is too much in the "other sex" category) to appreciate it, to discuss it, or to be interested in other members' opinions, irrespective of their sex.

I think it would be preferable to avoid creating an "old boy's club" atmosphere (or whatever the female equivalent might be) when we can all learn from one another.
    I agree with this view as well. However, i have never tried Creed's Bois du Portugal and am interested in it. Regardless of our personal views and ideals i also realise certain facts of life, and would naturally put BdP questions to men who, whether one thinks so or not, use BdP more. A look at my wardrobe will show i have no problem wearing frags marketed to women. I am a man and sometimes need male perspectives on life issues and frags, to me, are that important. I know to ask the ladies when i need a female perspective. The FFD board is just a known click away.

The OP's question may have been tongue-in-cheek but it obviously raises a pertinent issue.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I get your point Perfaddict. I'd just add that in a merged forum, you could see the gender of the members who responded to your BdP question so there would be no difficulty with getting both women's and men's perspectives at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    Can someone please help me understand how dividing the forum into male/female discussions is considered capitalistic ?
    It's all about marketing. Though, do note:

the title of this thread was supposed to be a 'tongue in cheek' comment, no offense intended basenotes!
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Blog Entries

I actually like it better this way, not because I'm a fan of sorting people but I am a fan of a well-organised forum that enables me to quickly find the threads I'm looking for.
    It really isnt about genders to me, it's about perspectives (guys might want to hear guys oppinion OR guys might want to hear oppinions on male targeted frags which will obviously get more answers from men than women).

I mean it isnt exactly like it's forbidden to browse the females board and you can post just as easily over there as here. A lot of us already do that (Mimi and i odnt know how many guys etc).

It's just handy for knowing where to look without having to browse through all threads which leads me to another factor I think speaks against merging. Sheer size of the board. I dont know how many threads are started every day (SMM, any data? ) but I already miss a great deal of them because I overlook them while scrolling over hundreds of threads.

For me it is easier to survey everything with the two boards and hereby it's easier to track down the threads that catch my interest (besides all the other threads i still read ).

Just my two cents, I would certainly be happy to share with the ladies, too, I just think it's slightly more practical the way it is.

PS:
    Aw, it just occured to me, I really rather think of the whole thing as
    'Male/female TARGETED fragrance discussion' (obviously plus some other discussions but you get the point) and that's why I dont think merging is neccessary.
    Last edited by timaru; 2nd October 2010 at 06:20 PM. Reason: ps...
    Smellin good

Fragrances are genderless to a tiny minority of the population.

Despite all the hype about them being genderless, check out the wardrobes of most people here. Most males, including those hyping the genderless proposition, have masculine scents or masculine scents and a limited range of feminine scents that either border on unisex, or have something supposedly artistic about them (i.e. not many Brittany Spears or Sara Jessica Parker type fragrances to be found among their collections).

Very few are the males here who have half feminine and half masculine wardrobes.

The forums would not function optimally or be as much liked and used as they are, if run according to minority opinions.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Fragrances are genderless to a tiny minority of the population.
    Agree

The Mens forum is "For the discussion of men's fragrances, and fragrances worn by men," and similarly the Womens forum is "For the discussion of women's fragrances, and fragrances worn by women." These designations have nothing to do with the gender of the participants, and it would be a shame if anyone felt excluded on that basis.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

You also have to remember that there are some cultural-ish differences between the male and female boards. Not sure how important that might be, but it's something to keep in mind.

Also, I agree with Renato's point that most people, overall, do rely on marketed gender specifications. Many of us here already have detailed knowledge of most scents that come up commonly, and those of who are "in the know" on this subject might not be affected by a merger much. However, such an action might drive potential new members away, due to lack of logical organization and a basic frame of reference.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I'm for merging the boards, as many women post over here, and many men post over there ( including myself ), and there is really no need to filter one or another gender's input out.

While I agree that the concept of fragrance as genderless hasn't spread far beyond niche perfumery and fragrance aficionados, Basenoters on the whole tend to discuss fragrances of all kinds; it would be cool if the boards reflected that.

I see no reason why there couldn't be a 'general' or 'open' forum for both but I kind of like the two different forums. It makes it easier for me to find what I'm looking for. I hop over to the female forum and read if I feel the need to get my fill of feminine input on frags.

On a side note would the female counter part to the 'old boy's club' be the 'young girls club'? Which sounds a whole lot more interesting if you ask me!
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Blog Entries

Actually, separating the two recognizes that men and women themselves are different. A merge has been brought up many times, and most often the women are the ones who decline proposition. The FFD is smaller, calmer, and more chit-chatty. If you read our SotD threads for about a week, or on any day that someone announces a personal event (children starting school, birthday, or just feeling under the weather), you'll see what I mean. Many women seeking more dynamic discourse read and post to the men's board; some men who enjoy our tea and biscuits atmosphere hang out at the FFD. For the record, I'm strongly in favor of keeping them separate. We have far fewer active threads, and we're just not interested in adding a half dozen Pure Malt threads to wade thru, or waging Creed wars.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Occasionally I like having separate boards (as when the inevitable- "name the ten best" or "my scent kicks your scent's butt" thread is posted on the men's forum) but generally I feel it is a waste of time to have to jump back and forth. I enjoy reading all perspectives, and as much as I realize that some folks will remain firm in their conviction that they can not wear anything marketed to the opposite sex, I am still interested in the opposite sex's opinions on the scent itself (quality, notes).

I don't see why most of the threads- currently on separate boards (today I wore/bought/sniffed and threads about meet-ups) could not be combined. It would save a lot of cross-posting.

Blog Entries

I think merging would just create alot of work, chaos, headaches, and simply require much more time and effort than to just have a male and female fragrance discussion. There are gender differences in many, many fragrances. Yes they can be worn by both genders, its just way easier to having this massive uni-discussion. It could get overwhelming fast

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Siifter View Post
    Maybe it's time for a good old poll about the subject?
    Something similar to this was done once. Unfortunately, I can't find the thread that contained those 'yay' and 'nay' posts, but I found a post in another thread where I referred to it:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215...ens-the-ladies

The above thread also discusses merging the boards. In my post there, I go into more detail about why I'm against a merge. The problem I have with a poll is that women prefer separate boards, and men don't or don't care as much, but there are far more men than women on BN. In looking at the Basenotes Forums main page, I see there are 249 men viewing the MFD and 48 women viewing the FFD. Using these numbers, say 60% of men and 20% of women favor the merged board. That's 159 votes for and 138 against. Clearly the majority of total members are in favor of a merge, but 80% of the women here would be forced into a situation they don't want. Many of us would probably give up and leave (head over to the Perfumes of Life forums), and then BN would be what it was in the beginning-- a men's forums with a scant handful of women posting here and there.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

New idea - how about just having a "general fragrance discussion" for those who just want to talk fragrance, without aiming things at either gender, but leaving the male and female boards intact?

I'd really love that kind of place; a neutral gathering place to chat about fragrance in general, without the whole man/woman/gender thing coming up. Right now the closest we have to that is the Fragrance Industry board ( which I daresay, has a generally more in-depth level of discourse than the other boards' typical fare ), but it would be cool to have a place where we can discuss actual fragrances, too.

Here's my vote:

Merge the male and female boards into one fragrance discussion section, but continue the tradition of separate SotD threads.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heartwood View Post
    Actually, separating the two recognizes that men and women themselves are different. A merge has been brought up many times, and most often the women are the ones who decline proposition. The FFD is smaller, calmer, and more chit-chatty. If you read our SotD threads for about a week, or on any day that someone announces a personal event (children starting school, birthday, or just feeling under the weather), you'll see what I mean. Many women seeking more dynamic discourse read and post to the men's board; some men who enjoy our tea and biscuits atmosphere hang out at the FFD. For the record, I'm strongly in favor of keeping them separate. We have far fewer active threads, and we're just not interested in adding a half dozen Pure Malt threads to wade thru, or waging Creed wars.
    Word. And I wouldnt want anything to potentially spoil that "tea and biscuits" atmosphere yet still I enjoy the occasional CW-GIT-Chez raving.

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    Occasionally I like having separate boards (as when the inevitable- "name the ten best" or "my scent kicks your scent's butt" thread is posted on the men's forum) but generally I feel it is a waste of time to have to jump back and forth. I enjoy reading all perspectives, and as much as I realize that some folks will remain firm in their conviction that they can not wear anything marketed to the opposite sex, I am still interested in the opposite sex's opinions on the scent itself (quality, notes).

I don't see why most of the threads- currently on separate boards (today I wore/bought/sniffed and threads about meet-ups) could not be combined. It would save a lot of cross-posting.
    The cross posting actually is the only bit bothering me but I just have the FFD and the MFD right beside each other as favs in my toolbar and browse them simultaneously in two tabs if I'm on. Works like a charm
    Smellin good