Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Basenotes involved in Capitalistic fragrance marketing???

Ah, nevermind.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I think part of the reason for having separate boards is "gender politics" about wearing scents. For example, a lot of men on Basenotes want to post about what scents other men have found are attractive to women. There's a prominent sticky thread on the top of the men's board about this, with thousands of hits, isn't there? Sometimes men don't want women to know what they're plotting by way of using scent for seduction, so they only talk to other guys about it. "Chicks dig it" is what men assure other men of, even if they sometimes don't know what the hell they're talking about. Of course it would make more sense to ask women what scents they like on men, and occasionally threads started by men have shown up in the women's discussion asking just this question.

There is a social separation of the sexes, in some cultures more than others, but in all cultures, there are some things that men talk to men about, and others that women talk to women about. That may well be breaking down in our day, and it's cool with me if it is. But it's certain to me that men don't talk to women about women the way they talk to other men about women. I wouldn't be surprised if that was true on the women's side as well.

Of course the names "men's discussion" and "women's discussion" don't mean that people don't read and post across the boards.

I would welcome a common board, but I doubt that most of the members would want to abolish the existing boards.

And I should add that I don't think this is about men wearing scents marketed to women and vice versa. I think it's just that social reality I mentioned at the beginning of this post.

Where do the gay men on the board fit into this? Each one may have a different reaction to this, but for myself, I can say that I was socialized as a male and grew up reacting to women in many of the same ways other men do socially. At some point in my early or mid-twenties, the romantic part of that diverged from the social. Most women I've talked to about this think that socially all men are more like each other than they are like women, largely because of being socialized differently. Gay men or straight men or anything in-between, I'm pretty sure we're all men to them in every way except perhaps in terms of potential for romance.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Augusta View Post
    I thought the men's forum was for discussing masculine scents and scents worn mostly by men. Now I'm confused. Does this mean women should stop posting here?
    I'm certain that Grant did NOT mean to imply that only men can post to the MFD. Simply that if you are seeking a male viewpoint, that's where you can find it. Women are very welcome to add their opinions as well.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Thanks to Grant and all the mods for their thoughtfulness and hard work to make Basenotes even better!

Concerning the Male Frangrance Discussion board, I'm very happy to see this being cleaned up. The threads about new releases, discontinuations, and general topics about fragrances are better suited to the Industry board. Perhaps the "What would ---- wear?" and other similar fantasy threads can also be moved to another location.

I also believe more threads should be moved to the Just Starting Out forum. The MFD board has been getting many basic questions and solicitations for advice which are more appropriate for that board. I realize that most people post to the main board because it gets the most viewers, but if more threads are moved it will draw viewers to the other boards.

As for merging the FFD and MFD boards, I am against it. This has been discussed in the past and I'm not going to get into any reasons and explanations other than to say the primary reason for the MFD board's existence, that nearly all the other online perfume websites are dominated by women and are primarily about traditional feminine fragrances, still holds today.

I'm editing this to say that I also agree with Heartwood. Merging the two groups may be more detrimental to the FFD group than to the MFD group and it would lose its identity. I read the FFD board daily and sometimes participate. The FFD board is made up of a friendly, welcoming, knowledgeable community with its own character and personality, and I would hate to lose that.

As far as creating a new board, I still like the recommendation of a Perfumers Discussion board with threads devoted to the perfumes of specific perfumers.

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 3rd October 2010 at 09:58 AM.

No need for such an action, as the two boards are simply a click away. People are always welcome on both boards.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Merging the two together would mean that this combined fragrance board would be 70% men's fragrance and 30% womens fragrance. The female fragrance discussion would be pushed down and you will find this time in a year it will be 90% / 10%
    Hi Grant,
    I think the 90%/10% prediction would be optimistic.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    If you go to fragrantica.com's non-gender boards you can see what the problem is, which is that it's almost all women. They usually don't say what the frag in question is in the title, so you have to click on the post to see that it's a women's frag.
    Very good point.
    A topic posted about Joop Thrill could either be about the fabulous men's scent, or the non descript women's version. I can see a lot of time wasted reading through posts one wouldn't really have wanted to read.
    Or enforce draconian rules of having to stick PH or PF on each title.
    Renato

It's nice that various calls to tidy up the Male Fragrance Discussion Board have seen some action - thanks to Grant and Mods.

Re current discussion:

My vote would be to keep Male & Female Boards separate.

I think the retitled Fragrance Industry & General Fragrance Discussion Board will unfortunately become something of a dumping ground and in the process make it harder to find actual INDUSTRY discussions as the flow of junk will drown them - that's if the Mods are able to put in double shifts and keep shovelling the stuff that really should be in Startiing Out out of the MFD - sorry to be a wet blamket

One thing that has puzzled me is the lack of traction from the Social Groups? These offer a terrific venue for discussion but they seem to be a little user-unfriendly . . . so many words per post etc. They have the added value of being 'self policed' by members so there's less froth, but they feel a bit off the beaten track. Just thinking out loud here.

And second / third the Perfumer's Discussion Board idea - this would be a good resource IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    One thing that has puzzled me is the lack of traction from the Social Groups? These offer a terrific venue for discussion but they seem to be a little user-unfriendly . . . so many words per post etc. They have the added value of being 'self policed' by members so there's less froth, but they feel a bit off the beaten track. Just thinking out loud here.
    I didnt realise there was a word limit - i'll see if I can adjust this. I think the new version of the software, which is out later this year, should so something to integrate it more.

Quote Originally Posted by Heartwood View Post
    Maybe there should be a sticky thread at the top of the forum, "The gender of scents: marketing hype or clearly different?" and let those who are interested in the subject battle it out endlessly in their own dedicated thread.
    Oh, I like this!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Capitalism is great, but I don't think it motivates a conspiracy by BN.

The Male Discussion Forum, from my perspective, isn't about male-marketed fragrances; it's about males discussing fragrances. Let's face it, male discussions are generally different than female topics. This difference makes a natural divide and demand for a simple way to narrow the topical discussions -- hence, the Male Forum.

If this was an incontinence board, it would be reasonable to have a two-gender split between the forums, although I argue that male and female urinary issues have more in common than their tastes and purposes in fragrance.

While I like the idea of a separate gender neutral board, where the question or observation one posts is not related to gender, such as, say "Natural vs Synthetic" - I'm not sure it's a good idea to merge that with the fragrance industry board.

There aren't really that many posts regarding the industry, and if they have to compete with posts concerning more general discussion, they'll quickly get buried.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    While I like the idea of a separate gender neutral board, where the question or observation one posts is not related to gender, such as, say "Natural vs Synthetic" - I'm not sure it's a good idea to merge that with the fragrance industry board.

There aren't really that many posts regarding the industry, and if they have to compete with posts concerning more general discussion, they'll quickly get buried.
    I second this post 100%. Not liking the merged Industry/General board.

Perhaps keeping both the male and female forums separate while creating a unisex forum as well to see where that goes.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Heartwood View Post
    Actually, separating the two recognizes that men and women themselves are different. A merge has been brought up many times, and most often the women are the ones who decline proposition. The FFD is smaller, calmer, and more chit-chatty. If you read our SotD threads for about a week, or on any day that someone announces a personal event (children starting school, birthday, or just feeling under the weather), you'll see what I mean. Many women seeking more dynamic discourse read and post to the men's board; some men who enjoy our tea and biscuits atmosphere hang out at the FFD. For the record, I'm strongly in favor of keeping them separate. We have far fewer active threads, and we're just not interested in adding a half dozen Pure Malt threads to wade thru, or waging Creed wars.
    Exactly!
    Basenotes was originally created as a men's fragrance forum. The women were added a few years later. I've never felt excluded from the mens board. If there's a topic I feel strongly about, I don't hesitate to post.
    And BTW, my sister wears Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille...a lot of women do. I wear his Amber Absolute myself.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post

Although I echoed this thought in my long post on the previous page, I think it's important enough to chime in again with a +1 to SOS's excellent point. Please maintain the Industry forum as it was before and add a General Discussion Forum.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

DeepSilence

Is it so difficult to arrive Female board or vice versa? Just knock the door !!
    I like this shape. I don't know about female fragrances, and i don't need to know. Whenever i want to buy a gift, or something like that,... i'll request for ladies helping.

But i agree to have a unisex fragrance discussion.
    Last edited by DeepSilence; 4th October 2010 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    No need for such an action, as the two boards are simply a click away. People are always welcome on both boards.
    This.