Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Cool Basenotes Challenge: Name a sports fragrance and tell us what distinguishes it from the others.

Is it just my nose or many recent sports cologne releases start to smell the same? Recently I sampled Dior Homme Sport, Burberry Sport for Men, Davidoff Champion and Gucci by Gucci Sport. While they are not exactly identical, they somehow smell very similar...esp. the spicy gingery ozonic bits.

Is there anyone here on BN willing to take up this challenge (see thread title)? I figured it might give us another angle and hopefully make for an interesting discussion on 'sports fragrances'.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 2nd October 2010 at 04:51 PM.

Default Re: Basenotes Challenge: Name a sports fragrance and tell us what distinguishes it from the others.

I'll start!

The bottles are different
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Basenotes Challenge: Name a sports fragrance and tell us what distinguishes it from the others.

Habit Rouge Sport. A sports frag only because it is named as one. There is nothing sporty about this wonderful floral oriental. I guess Guerlain just wanted to attract younger/new customers and couldn't be as imaginative in their labelling as they can be with their perfumery.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Basenotes Plus

lol @CanwllCorfe ... Wow. How did I miss that one?

I forgot about that one, perfaddict. But that's definitely one to try though I haven't seen it locally.

Yes I've got quite the eye! I'm with you though. I see minute differences, but nothing readily discernible. Just a lot of boring, boring frags.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

I'm no "sports' expert but after reading a post somewhere here a while back that more or less answers your question (i.e. that it was actually a solid composition and wearable) I tried Tiffany for Men Sport and it smelled quite nice. Mind you, I was in there to pick up a back up of Tiffany for Men at the time and can't say I really gave it a proper road test.

Basenotes Plus

There are many fresh scents that are not saddled with the 'sport' label. Kinda makes me wonder if 'sport' will ever grow to become a big fragrance subgenre on its own... More than anything else, it seems to be more of a marketing gimmick targeted at those guys who are squeamish about picking anything labelled as 'parfum'. Davidoff even carried it a step further with a kitschy 'dumbbell' design. Ugh! What next? A jockstrap??

Tasked with the marketing of a generic product, I suppose 'bottle design' IS one way of distinguishing the product from the rest. Good spot, CanwllCorfe! (no pun intended)

Blog Entries

Sport fragrances are an embarrassment to any company. Like theyre all the same and lame concept

Not all SPORT fragrances are born the same.Let's talk about Cartier's Santos Eau De Sport...
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Blog Entries

Sport frags seem to generally be lighter, cleaner, fresher, and more base-less (pun intended) variants of existing fragrances. I generally don't like them, although Tiffany For Men Sport is a major exception. In that case, it starts out with a really full-bodied frag, so the Sport version ends up being pretty robust for a sport frag. But in general, sport fragrances seem toned down to grab a sector of the market - mostly American, I'm guessing - that doesn't like strong or even average juice.

I know there are people who like Gucci by Gucci Sport.... but with the regular being damn close to a sport frag.... there's almost nothing there.

I can see why they start to smell the same. They're somewhat homeopathic. Eventually you end up with water, perfumer's alcohol, and the bottles and labels to tell them apart. Perhaps the "vital force" of Gucci by Gucci Sport remains....

Pino Silvestre Sport. Enough said.

Polo Sport is one of the best Sport scents in my opinion.....Polo Sport is a wonderful scent and still has a Great following.....Polo Sport is a classy, weel built, well thought out fragrance.....That seperates this from the rest!!!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Habit Rouge Sport. A sports frag only because it is named as one. There is nothing sporty about this wonderful floral oriental. I guess Guerlain just wanted to attract younger/new customers and couldn't be as imaginative in their labelling as they can be with their perfumery.
    It is SOOOOOO good. I hope it gains traction BECAUSE of the sport moniker, but I agree, there isn't anything particularly "sporty" about it, apart from the fact that it is lighter and fresher than the EDT.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Polo Extreme Sport is a one-of-a-kind black pepper powerhouse.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

AromiErotici

Antaeus Sport bears a striking resemblance to original Antaeus.....and ( to me) is a bit richer and deeper. I haven't a clue as to why they would call it a "Sport" frag.....or why they would create it in the first place.

It's excellent.......but sporty? Not on your life.

Lacoste Original? Freshness way before Cool Water

Although "Sport" isn't in the name, the name Michael Jordan, bottle style and presentation make this a sporty fragrance. The thing I enjoy about this, is that it's a very green, and grassy scent. I wish it were a little less on the synthetic side, a little less of those chemical odors that I seem to be able to pick out in the cheapies. Commonly though, in sport labeled frags is a pepper note, or some sort of variation, as in MJ you do get that pepper, but the way it combines with the grassy aroma, just makes it feel so much greener to my nose. Nevertheless, when I want something sporty, different, that lasts long, I reach for the MJ. It's inexpensive, and actually quite unique from the majority of sporty fragrance, and all fragrance in general.

What about Lanvin's L'Homme Sport? I have found it quite nice and I wear it often enough. Its a woody aromatic which features an interesting blend of herbs and citrus in the beginning. Now, this may sound structurally identical to every other sport fragrance ever designed but I don't know of any fragrance that smells like this one. Lanvin used fine ingredients too and it shows.

Quote Originally Posted by discovolante View Post
    Not all SPORT fragrances are born the same.Let's talk about Cartier's Santos Eau De Sport...
    i own this. this one is different from those mentioned because it is sweet. sports fragrances were popular in my youth like polo sport so they conjure up an image of a certain boyishness. cartier santos eau de sport conjures up a man.

Dependent

Another vote for Polo Sport. I believe during the period of time when I was starting to open myself to idea of fragrance and being scented, Polo Sport was just born and was very well-received. I eventually got myself a bottle and a few more subsequently. Maybe this is why, Polo Sport is my epitome of a sport fragrance/flanker - something invigorating and refreshing.

Basenotes Plus

Antaeus Sport - richer & deeper? Oh my, I can't imagine. The original is already a nose-fryer for me.

Polo Sport - definitely not generic. Smell it once and you know it's Polo Sport. It got a lot of love in SG, esp in the 1990s.

And I agree tmkm1, Lanvin L'Homme Sport's herbal accents manage to steer it away from 'banal'. This house offers good value imo.

Santos Eau de Sport has appeared a few times in other threads before. Kinda made me curious to try it next.

Would Azzaro Chrom fall under this? To me that is a good physically active/gym friendly scent.

I think that metallic tinge makes it unique