Code of Conduct

Default Who is Jean-Paul Guerlain???

I can't believe I'm going to ask this dumb question, but I'm not sure. i did a little wikipedia on him, and saw that he made some fragrances sitting on my shelf, but it looks like he is still making fragrances, i.e., the two just issued for men???

What happened to Therry Wasser?
    Is jean-Paul related to Patricia of Parfums de Nicolai?
    does he have any children?
    I know Guerlain sold to LVMH, so what is Jean-Paul's role in the house now?
    Is he a 'guest perfumer'?

I see that he is 70, so I'm assuming his whole life has been with Guerlain. Is he the end of the line, so to speak?
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Default Re: Who is Jean-Paul Guerlain???

Patricia is the granddaughter of Pierre Guerlain. Jean-Paul is the grandson of Jacques Guerlain. Pierre and Jacques were brothers (sons of Gabriel, who was the brother of Aimé). So yes, Patricia and Jean-Paul are related, although I've no idea what you call this relationship English, or even in Hungarian
    It looks like Jean-Paul, who retired in 2002, is indeed the last of the line. He does have a son, but he's a lawyer. Thierry Wasser was named in-house perfumer of Guerlain in 2008 and still holds that position. According to Wikipedia, "Jean-Paul Guerlain is staying on in an advisory role, as a counselor to the presidency, for both fragrance design and ingredients."

Thanks Augsta! I'm always pleasantly surprised to see his name on a new release, and was curious.
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Jean Paul Guerlain said odious racists talk on the french tv today, talking about the creation of Samsara:
    http://fr.news.yahoo.com/63/20101015...2207d37_1.html

Here the video.
    Traduction:
    "Pour une fois, je me suis mis à travailler comme un nègre. Je ne sais pas si les nègres ont toujours travaillé, enfin..."
    "For the first time, i worked as a nigger. I don't even know if niggers ever worked, whatever..." (approximative traduction but the general sens is there)

Maybe this can help to answer of the question... !

Well, that was certainly inappropriate...

I wonder if he realizes that he's offending people with his racist slurs... Or if it just comes "naturally", so to speak. The more I see of J-P G, the less I like him. He just comes across as a racist stuckup snob.
    Last edited by tott; 15th October 2010 at 07:58 PM.

Yes he has colonialist and racist ideas.. I think he didn't want to expose that publicly, it was said naturally...
    He already got problems in the past in Mayotte while exploiting local ppl in cultures..

Unbelievable.
    A boycott of Guerlain is required until they publically denounce his comments and break any association with him.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Unbelievable.
    A boycott of Guerlain is required until they publically denounce his comments and break any association with him.
    Well, I do wonder how LVMH is going to handle this hot potato...

Quote Originally Posted by Mon-Petit View Post
    Jean Paul Guerlain said odious racists talk on the french tv today, talking about the creation of Samsara:
    http://fr.news.yahoo.com/63/20101015...2207d37_1.html

Here the video.
    Traduction:
    "Pour une fois, je me suis mis à travailler comme un nègre. Je ne sais pas si les nègres ont toujours travaillé, enfin..."
    "For the first time, i worked as a nigger. I don't even know if niggers ever worked, whatever..." (approximative traduction but the general sens is there)

Maybe this can help to answer of the question... !
    I just came here to post about this. Guess maybe I'll reconsider the purchase of a bottle of Shalimar for my wife this Christmas.

Blog Entries

Oh holy crap... Who knew this nasty bombshell was hiding in this thread?
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Correct - it needs its own thread
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Might it be that JPG said it on purpose to destroy LVMH-owned Guerlain? hmm..

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Unbelievable.
    Sir by insulting an elderly men who worked all his life in the infamous racist industry of perfumery you only show us that you have very twisted values. Its strange how history repeats itself it’s always the same no life/failed life people which are committed to lynch targets that are inoffensive.

***Please Basenotes close or remove this thread.***
    Last edited by Dictator; 2nd February 2012 at 08:53 PM.
    "You can look at a picture for a week an never think of it again. You can also look at a picture for a second and think of it all your life." Joan Miro

This thread was dead and gone until you pulled it back up again Dictator.

Jean Paul no longer works with Guerlain as LVMH cut the ties pretty quickly. After the outcry and there where protests outside the Guerlain boutique, I was surprised when I saw hundreds on film protesting so he had to go. LVMH have no mercy when it comes to losing money.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Jean Paul no longer works with Guerlain as LVMH cut the ties pretty quickly. After the outcry and there where protests outside the Guerlain boutique, I was surprised when I saw hundreds on film protesting so he had to go. LVMH have no mercy when it comes to losing money.
    In France any stupid association can put you on trial and gather a small paid crowd to mediatize the event. It's how they make money and its how politics are done in France since 1905.

On a 2012 Vetiver bottle you have a quote and signature of Mister Jean-Paul Guerlain so what are you saying about LVMH and losing money is entirely false. Thank You!

See:

Last edited by Dictator; 2nd February 2012 at 09:21 PM.
    "You can look at a picture for a week an never think of it again. You can also look at a picture for a second and think of it all your life." Joan Miro

Trolololololo ~

Any threads that take this turn should really be closed for good.

A small paid group hardly, I was shocked at the hundreds outside the boutique. It was shown on TV by the way and not just France. Jean Paul created Vetiver so LVMH will keep his name on the bottle. He now plays no part in the company, so LVMH did cut him out. Watch the first episode of the BBC documentary Perfume, Jean Paul has many other interests to keeping him going in later life. Whether you like it or not Jean Paul has gone, end of.
    DONNA

Is the French word extremely offensive like the english word?

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Is the French word extremely offensive like the english word?
    Good question.

Patrick Lozès, of France's Representative Council of Black Associations, said the French word "nègre" used by Guerlain was an "extremely pejorative" and "racist" term equivalent to "nigger" in English.
    Google translate says it means negro, not the above mentioned n word. If he would have used the word slave he could have avoided all this nonsense and still boasted about his hard work.

***Please Basenotes close or remove this thread.***[/QUOTE]

Okay!
    "Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see." -Benjamin Franklin