Code of Conduct

Default Most masculine Frederic Malles?

Since experimenting with my samples of Frederic Malle, and looking at the notes of his other colognes I noticed many of them are floral and have a slight feminine vibe at least. I am not a big floral guy, except green irish tweed which to me is a more masculine foral. I was curious from your experiences with Frederic Malle which frags of his line are the most masculine? Thanks.

Off-Scenter

Default Re: Most masculine Frederic Malles?

In light of the ongoing debate over just what it means to smell "masculine" or "feminine," I will only go so far as to suggest the Malle scents which might coincide most clearly with conventional 20th -21st century notions of "masculine" perfumery. To my mind, those would include Vétiver Extraordinaire, Bois d'Orage/French Lover, Musc Ravageur, Cologne Bigarade/Bigarade Concentrée, Geranium pour Monsieur, Noire Epices, and Carnal Flower. (Just kidding - though I do own a bottle! )

Thank you sir, I really like musc rav and i am warming up to the vetiver even though it has a plastic vibe to it on the dry down which annoys me a tad.

Today I did my first test with Musc Ravageur.
    I have been wanting a sample of this for a very long time and finally I have it.

I was expecting "liquid sex" because of some reviews.
    I have to say, I am quite underwhelmed. And I wonder if that will change when I retest it.
    Did it get reformulated or something...?? Seriously, where's the sex??

Okay, now to calm down and answer the question (lol).
    From my perspective, Musc Ravageur is masculine.
    It's not that sweet. Very wearable.
    And not as strong as I expected.

What confused me was the almost Kouros-like opening.
    The musk in it is quite dirty. I don't know if I would like to smell this on a woman.

I agree supressor it does have a kouros like smell with the musk and animalic notes but it sweetens it up with the clove, cinnamon,vanilla which i think is why it is much more pleasant, i think it is a sexy cologne the sweet, spice with the wood makes it dark and sexy. just my opinion.

Blog Entries

Geranium Pour Monsieur felt very unisex to me, though.

Vetiver Extraordinaire, French Lover and Angeliques sous la Pluie
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I happen to think Bois d'Orage/French Lover and Carnal Flower are unisex. Here is the masculine/feminine take in the archives:

http://www.basenotes.net/company/100267
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

To me, Vetiver Extraordinaire is hands down the most masculine but only because it is the most conventional.

With Malle, you're dealing with some finely crafted scents, some of which are tabbed as unisex and as such- are unisex.

You either like them on yourself or not.

My fave is Noir Epices. THE most potent and strongest scent I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Off-Scenter View Post
    ...... Vétiver Extraordinaire, Bois d'Orage/French Lover, Musc Ravageur, Cologne Bigarade/Bigarade Concentrée, Geranium pour Monsieur, Noire Epices, and Carnal Flower. (Just kidding - though I do own a bottle! )
    I agree with offscenter.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    To me, Vetiver Extraordinaire is hands down the most masculine but only because it is the most conventional.

With Malle, you're dealing with some finely crafted scents, some of which are tabbed as unisex and as such- are unisex.

You either like them on yourself or not.

My fave is Noir Epices. THE most potent and strongest scent I have.
    noir is pretty strong, i thought i would like it but it smells very chemical for a while. the vetiver is not bad still a tad plasticy but i love masc ravageur.

http://www.wordreference.com/fren/ravageur

interesting so basically it would mean devestating or all consuming musk.

that's tough, I find almost all of FM to be quite unisex, but I'm a guy who just wears anything he enjoys. Granium pour Monsiour has a strong minty opening that felt quite mascluine to me. Musc Ravageur is not very masculine per se, but I wouldn't like to smell animalic musc on a woman to be honest, not that it's a very dirty one in that. Vetiver Extraordinaire is, well, just clean, but I don't feel strong vetiver fragrances go well on women in general.

Bleh, to be honest when it comes down to it, I don't find any FM fragrance to be memorably masculine. I only feel some of them are not very "wearable" for a lady.

The Frederic Malle website described French Lover/Bois d'Orage as an attempt at 'the ultimate man scent' and i agree, it just smells like, man. very natural, very green, very sexy. i love it!

I appreciate the help everyone. Thank you very much.