Code of Conduct

Default Chanel No.5 and Chanel No. 19 I could pull off wearing either one these!

Went to the local mall with my wife today and stopped in Sephora's to get some samples. Well I asked for No. 5, No. 19 and No. 5 Premiere.

I tried No.5, smells great on me and I feel very confident with myself in that I can wear all of the samples I have. No. 19 is definitely unisex for me.

Anyone else feel the same way ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Chanel No.5 and Chanel No. 19 I could pull off wearing either one these!

19 is nice!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Chanel No.5 and Chanel No. 19 I could pull off wearing either one these!

They are nice but too feminine for me....if you like them though, go for it.

The problem with wearing such a well known perfume as Chanel No. 5 is that it is very recognizable. Now maybe you are a very confident and secure guy - or maybe you don't care. But I am not sure I want to be the guy known for wearing No. 5.

Now I am speaking from a perspective of someone who isn't too into heavy scents - but I do think it is worth thinking abort.

Wear what you want to wear. Be who you want to be. But you might be known for it!

Post Thanks / Like

Notice the similarities in the notes for No.5 and Creed Aventus? Roses, jasmine, patchouli, vanilla, oakmoss, musk...........

Talking Re: Chanel No.5 and Chanel No. 19 I could pull off wearing either one these!

What you do/don't wear shouldn't be determined by a gender category. You should be able to wear what you like and not be dictated to by societal conventions. If you are comfortable with a particular scent and want to wear it I say go for it, I know I do.

Nb; I'd love to be able to wear no5 but I find it to to dry & powdery for my liking. Beautiful scent, but just not on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Anthony View Post
    What you do/don't wear shouldn't be determined by a gender category. You should be able to wear what you like and not be dictated to by societal conventions. If you are comfortable with a particular scent and want to wear it I say go for it, I know I do.
    I am all for breaking societal conventions! Just be prepared to be recognized for it.

Thumbs up Re: Chanel No.5 and Chanel No. 19 I could pull off wearing either one these!

Quote Originally Posted by Rescentment View Post
    I am all for breaking societal conventions! Just be prepared to be recognized for it.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this but I don't have an issue with being "recognized". Sometimes stepping outside of the "box" can be risky, but isn't life about taking risks. Mind you, I don't think a guy choosing to wear no5 is that big of a risk.

I say it again, if you love the scent regardless of gender status go for it. Life is to short to get in a tail-spin over something, in the greater scheme of things, that is not all that important.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rescentment View Post
    The problem with wearing such a well known perfume as Chanel No. 5 is that it is very recognizable. Now maybe you are a very confident and secure guy - or maybe you don't care. But I am not sure I want to be the guy known for wearing No. 5.
    I had similar thoughts but here's an alternative take.
    Let's say a woman who is familiar with No. 5 did indeed catch a fleeting waft of it from a man. She doesn't know him and has little opportunity to run into him again. I bet she will remain uncertain if he is indeed wearing No.5 or if he's just been in some intimate dalliance with a lady wearing No.5. A typical reaction might be: "Is he wearing Chanel No.5?? It can't be! But I don't know... just may be..." And probably spends the rest of the day wondering about this guy.

It is so unexpected it adds to the intrigue, no? The secret is to wear it a little more discreetly.

Both 19 and 5 have unisex potential according to whom you ask.

More people will find the 19 unisex with its green/leather than the 5 and its strong floral aldehydes.
    Last edited by Primrose; 3rd October 2010 at 11:20 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

So glad to find someone else with the same issues I have with these two magnificent fragrances. Chanel no 5 is just too well-known for me to wear in public. No 19 is more unisex, but I still have reservations. I am very open-minded and liberal, and I believe anyone should wear anything one wants to wear. But projecting well-known ladies' classics is not really for me.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Chanels are more unisex than they're given credit for. I find Coco EDT to be wearable without fear of stereotypical recrimination. I'll admit though that, intrigue or no, I don't see a guy wearing No. 5 . . . but No. 19, maybe.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually 5 is my scent of the evening tonight.
    I'm wearing the parfum, but own the EdP, too.
    I do not find it that unisex, wearable, yes, but
    to the feminine side.

19 on the other hand is straight up unisex..!

I can remember buying the original Chanel No 5 for my sisters at Christmas. The day I smelled it on one of them AFTER they changed the formulation made me wonder, "what kind of company does THIS to a beautiful fragrance?" If I smelled the original today I'd probably drown in it.

Off-Scenter

I've always enjoyed wearing No. 19, and perceive it (along with most predominantly green scents,) as largely gender-neutral. I don't particularly care for No. 5 on men or women, so I'm no judge there. Eau Première, however, strikes me as quite wearable for a man, and I would not be at all self conscious about wearing it in public. (Mind you, I wear stuff like Carnal Flower, Ubar, and Tubéreuse Criminelle in public all the time, so you must take my opinions with a grain of salt. )

Wore No. 5 to work today. Two sprays behind the ears and two on my arms. No comments from anyone good or bad. In fact longevity was poor.

Is that normally how No. 5 behaves? No problem with wearing it at all just seems like the longevity on me is short lived

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BoxerDad View Post
    Wore No. 5 to work today. Two sprays behind the ears and two on my arms. No comments from anyone good or bad. In fact longevity was poor.

Is that normally how No. 5 behaves? No problem with wearing it at all just seems like the longevity on me is short lived
    Which version of No. 5 did you wear? The EDT would have less longevity than the EDP or parfum. (Also bear in mind that these are not just three different concentrations of the same fragrance, but three different formulations, each of which has a somewhat different composition of notes. See Luca Turin's book "Perfumes: the A - Z Guide".)

I wear No. 5 Eau Premiere, which is an EDP, and it has great longevity on my skin.

Also, I own and enjoy wearing all three versions of No. 19 (EDT, EDP, and vintage parfum).

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl J. View Post
    Notice the similarities in the notes for No.5 and Creed Aventus? Roses, jasmine, patchouli, vanilla, oakmoss, musk...........
    They don't smell anything alike, I have both. Aventus is a fruity-chypre. #5 & #19 are classified as "soft florals" by Michael Edwards.
    If you have the edt in #5, the primary note is sandalwood. The florals are much more subdued in the edt than in the edp or the parfum. It's why I prefer the edt.
    I've always thought #19 would smell great on a guy. imo.
    Eau Premier is the most floral of the three but quite the contemporary interpretation of the #5 vibe.
    All in all, I think it depends on which notes your skin chemistry tends to "pull".
    "Mom….now the kitten smells like Chamade!"

Post Thanks / Like

Correct...they smell nothing alike. However, to my nose they do not clash when together at table, rather like a Mr./Mrs. evening out ''matched'' set. Each decidedly different yet without conflict.

And I vastly prefer Aventus over No.5 but that's for a different thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not, especially No. is widely perceived here on Basenotes as unisex

Wearing Chanel No. 19 today. See how it goes. Definitely smells more unisex to me. Easy to wear for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a dilemma buying No. 19 when I was going through my green scent phase. I wasn't sure to get the EdT or EdP, or where to even find it really. I was also worried because I didn't really "get" Chanel No. 5 (though I am getting better at it.) So eventually I ordered a 100ml EdP and just threw caution to the wind. Oh my god, best blind buy ever! I sprayed it on a piece of paper when it arrived, it smelled like epitome of spring freshness. I get grass, a nice fresh breeze carrying the smell of soft flowers. I am kind of over my green phase now, but this and Fleur De Liane are always going to be with me as AMAZING green scents. When I miss spring I just sniff this. I love it so much!
    I'm not your toy.