Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Funniest review ever / Katie Puckrik and Secretions Magnifiques!

I think both reviews are a lot of fun - how can you expect to be serious about a perfume with a name like this anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I think both reviews are a lot of fun - how can you expect to be serious about a perfume with a name like this anyway?
    I do not know if this was to me, but ill answer it anyhow.

This is not just regarding this specific review, but more "Katie Puckrik".
    Look, this is not a big deal - do not take this more serious then what it is, but i have seen her fx. express certain stereotypes regarding some kind of parfumy. That is what it is, but if you combine that with her "look at me", i have writting a biography at that age, appeared on "morning shows" and want to be taken seriously. Look at her youtube channel, it just seems like one big gimmick.

If you had at least done some kind of actually work like Don DeLillo, Roberto Saviano, Ben Bernanke or George Soros you have some credibility. But Katie Puckrik has done absolutely nothing, and still she acts like she has - and appears like she is on some high horse - i usually do not speak ill of anybody but certain persona types really bugs me.
    Last edited by Abliss; 5th October 2010 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    She is a consumer and she likes to share her personal experience with certain grooming products, namely perfume. Taken as that it is completely o/k with me. But it isn't a review in any sense. I would expect more insight to the fragrance rather than into Katie's mimic gymnastics.

At last let me reiterate that a formal review, spoken well prepared and as articulate as Katie is able to in a reserved mood would have been extraordinary fun with this one. The coquetry with disgust that she has choosen is like I would tell a joke and lough myself all the time. You know that experience despite the language barrier - not funny.

There is still a question 2 be answered.

How does SM do it?! And what exactly does it do? Simple for You experts, isn't it? And if You don't like what it does, why do You lough that loud?

Quote Originally Posted by Abliss View Post
    I do not know if this was to me,
    It wasn't

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    She is a consumer and she likes to share her personal experience with certain grooming products, namely perfume. Taken as that it is completely o/k with me.
    Me too - the more the merrier

Bring on Dynamite Dennis!

Pretentious? Moi?
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

Well, I've never been a big fan of Katie Puckrik. She may be cute but that's usually quickly forgotten as soon as she opens her mouth. Maybe some of you Basenoters need to get a grip on your hormones...

As for the video review, it was completely staged - she'd already smelt the sample beforehand (besides, Secretions Magnifiques is a very easy target). And, apart from the 'crime scene' reference, found none of it amusing or even insightful. If it's not her choice of words that irritates me, it's her superficial charisma. But, hey, she's a babe, so who cares! Right?

Still, it was interesting viewing all the same...

Basenotes Plus

I think she has oodles of charisma.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Perfume Boy View Post
    I think she has oodles of charisma.
    Oh, I agree. But not the right variety, IMHO...

I've grown to like Katie Puckrik's reviews. I think her earlier ones were rather glib, and her delivery somewhat reminded me of... uh... Erma Bombeck. But as she has grown more comfortable on video, her reviews have gotten a lot better, and I am always interested in what she thinks. She knows her stuff. I also feel, from the dialogue with her readers/viewers as well as occasional posts here, she is very genuine.

I enjoyed this video. I agree that Secretions Magnifiques is an easy target, but she had to address it at some point.

Also count me as yet another Teresa fan.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Perhaps it's important to remember that whether one likes Katie or not, she's an active member here, so anything about her here is no different from saying it to her face.

And no, that's not directed at anyone in particular, just a general reminder that the fragrance community is a small place.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Perhaps it's important to remember that whether one likes Katie or not, she's an active member here, so anything about her here is no different from saying it to her face.

And no, that's not directed at anyone in particular, just a general reminder that the fragrance community is a small place.
    I think everyone is aware of that; since there has been an interview with her, so it could easily be that she was a member - or at least has someone close to her that would inform if she has been mentioned.
    Last edited by Abliss; 5th October 2010 at 06:06 PM.

Fair enough but she's willingly put herself in the public arena. You can't have your cake and eat it...

Absolutely - and the same goes for every Basenoter posting here, putting their thoughts in public. None the less, there is a subtle social difference between "Who do you think are the ugliest celebrities?" and "Who do you think are the ugliest Basenoters?" even though, in all fairness, one is no more inherently mean-spirited than the other. ( Just to give an example. )

Not meaning to derail the thread here but posting yourself regularly on Youtube is very different to participating on a website/forum (especially when Katie has worked in the media for several years). Furthermore, your knowledge of her, before she embarked on a career in perfume reviewing/blogging, is probably very different to mine.

In the early 90s, she was a TV presenter, in the UK, and even then I never took a liking to her 'style' and it's something I'll never be able to completely forget about. Therefore, while I don't hate her, I'm certainly not going to be joining the queue to heap praise on her, while salivating like a dog on heat.

As for your analogy, regarding ugliness, it completely went over my head...

Btw, I'm sure that my problem with Katie is more down to cultural differences than anything else.

Well, if nothing else, Secretions Magnifique could be very useful in one of those Halloween House-of-Horrors for maximum effect!

And, in addition, Katie is/was a media personality, while an overwhelming majority of Basenoters are not. That's a big difference, in my book.

Default Katie Puckrik Public Viewing of Magnifishcent Secretions

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    And, in addition, Katie is/was a media personality, while an overwhelming majority of Basenoters are not. That's a big difference, in my book.
    Secretion Magnifiques' reviews have always been etudes on expressing disgust by most powerfull swear words. Katie has choosen the radioactive direction. Alone, radioactivity doesn't smell.

It is not that I dislike her "review" but it is the third in a row that didn't made it closer to the fragrances nucleus. By now I'm eager to participate in a technical discussion of this spectacular fragrance. It is well made to effortlessly come to effect especially with women. The zillage is known not to be nauseating at all. People who don't know what it is supposed to be may really like it as long it is connected to (male) others, not to themselves. Do You really dismiss the secrets that hide under the fancy artwork?

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphaea View Post
    Well, if nothing else, Secretions Magnifique could be very useful in one of those Halloween House-of-Horrors for maximum effect!
    I'm sure You don't know it that well. On blotter it never becomes that nauseating. A blotter on the desk made a wonderfull aura of -fresh- in a room I had left for hours. Even when the scent is applied to others it doesn't make people gag. As far as I have compiled serveral experiences published in revies and others sampled with relatives the issue is to applicate it on oneself and then smelling close. As far as one doesn't "think" it isn't that peculiar.

Default Re: Katie Puckrik Public Viewing of Magnifishcent Secretions

Secretion Magnifiques' reviews have always been etudes on expressing disgust by most powerfull swear words. Katie has choosen the radioactive direction. Alone, radioactivity doesn't smell.

It is not that I dislike her "review" but it is the third in a row that didn't made it closer to the fragrances nucleus.
    Of course she made it to the nucleus. How else can you explain the radiation?

I was completely unaware of her activities apart from her being a Youtube fragrance reviewer and Basenotes member.

Quite a few Basenoters regularly blog on Youtube, and while I don't always agree with their tastes or enjoy their style of reviews, I've enjoyed meeting a few in real life and glad I've never said anything about them online I wouldn't have said to their face.

That is my point; no more, no less. Carry on as you feel best in any case, my comments were not aimed at any member in particular.

This thread seems to have gone a little sour which is a shame .....

AromiErotici

I'm sure You don't know it that well. On blotter it never becomes that nauseating. A blotter on the desk made a wonderfull aura of -fresh- in a room I had left for hours. Even when the scent is applied to others it doesn't make people gag. As far as I have compiled serveral experiences published in revies and others sampled with relatives the issue is to applicate it on oneself and then smelling close. As far as one doesn't "think" it isn't that peculiar.
    Since you truly enjoy this "frag" ( as is your prerogative), there's no need to vilify people and/or reviewers who find it extremely nauseating and unpleasant. That's our prerogative as well.

You should post a video review of your take on SM. I'd love to see it. Katie does what she does. She is camera friendly and when it comes to reviewing a fragrance, there's no rules my friend. I'm not a friend or foe of Katie. I don't watch videos for reviewing purposes, but watched this one since it's in this thread.

So....please either post your review whether it be written or video and let us hear your take on this release.
    Last edited by AromiErotici; 5th October 2010 at 11:23 PM.

I for one would absolutely love to see WildThingy's Youtube review. Really! No irony or sarcasm here, I mean it.

Basenotes Institution

Would love to see another SM video !
    ( NB. I happen to like ,respect Katie Pukrik ( also a basenoter ) for who she is ,her perfume passion and the work she has done. She's 48 years old and achieved quite a lot in her life. Just my 2 cents.)
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I for one appreciated her review. Ad Hominem attacks seldom advance a cogent and logical point of view.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    ( NB. I happen to like ,respect Katie Pukrik ( also a basenoter ) for who she is ,her perfume passion and the work she has done. She's 48 years old and achieved quite a lot in her life. Just my 2 cents.)
    48??? Damn.......I'm only 5 years her senior and she makes me look like I had a real rough paper route as a kid.

Basenotes Institution

Aromi - I think she is fab for her age. She has worked on British TV for many years ,an ex dancer, toured with the Pet Shop boys, written a book .

Quote Originally Posted by Robert G. View Post
    I for one appreciated her review. Ad Hominem attacks seldom advance a cogent and logical point of view.
    Indeed. Even when couched in pseudo-intellectual-ese (or "suedointellectual" as a pal from the past mispronounced it.)... But a few years back it used to be quite fashionable "to do" particularly on Usenet.

And @ Aromi... It ain't the years, it's the miles, or so my sweetie says ('bout himself as he's 3 yrs. younger than me)
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

I may have to borrow suedo-intellectual sometime for a review of a leather fragrance...

well then, this has all certainly taken an interesting turn...
    NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fountain View Post
    ... she can't even pronounce the name of the frag correctly.
    Interesting comment.

I don't know this for sure but I doubt if French is Katie's native tongue. Does the near-miss of the pronunciation of a rather difficult name in a rather difficult language for those not used to converse in perfect French make a whit of difference to the review? The question is not if the review is itself good, but "does the incorrect pronunciation of French distract from the review?'

I don't even have to think about that answer.

No.

Are all 'fragrance professionals' to be held to such standards that they are required to use an absolutely correct pronunciation of words uttered in a non-native tongue or be nailed for it? For example see the interview, in English, of Bertrand Duchaufour as he talks about Penhaligon's Amaranthine Eau de Parfum.

I detect his accenting the wrong syllables, inappropriately pronouncing long and/or short vowel sounds and other distinct differences not attributable to those found in various regional USA English accents where English is the speaker's primary language.

But Bertrand Duchaufour's review was charmingly correct despite any 'incorrectly' pronounced English as it would be for most who try to educate us and who speak my native tongue as non-natives or as a second or other language. Duchaufour did it as a Frenchman trying to correctly speak English. Katie's review was as an English speaker trying to pronounce French words correctly. I have respect for (and somewhat envy) those who can speak and understand, however badly, a language other than their own.

Go Bertrand! Go Katie!
    Last edited by kbe; 6th October 2010 at 12:20 AM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Too right! Go kbe!
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Basenotes Institution

Absolutely right Kbe. Will repeat......Go Katie, Go Kbe !

Absolutely right Kbe. Will repeat......Go Katie, Go Kbe !
    Ditto this. :-)

I dunno, but in both of those reviews, they were smelling the scent literally pressed right up against their noses. How could they actually be smelling anything that way? And if they did, their impressions would certaintly be tainted.

I know nothing about that fragrance or the reviewers. Just an observation.

I really like her reviews when I am just curious about how a scent smells. Only thing is I wish they were a bit longer
    I'm not your toy.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Ditto this. :-)
    Double ditto.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

That was a fun review. I also enjoyed her Old Spice review.

Oh and count me in to be a Katie fan! 48? Damn. I was almost 10 years off.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

I won't take the risk sampling frags like this. It's possible that I will associate it with a frag I like and then I would have to avoid it for up to a couple of months.

AromiErotici

Aromi - I think she is fab for her age. She has worked on British TV for many years ,an ex dancer, toured with the Pet Shop boys, written a book .
    She looks great, that's for sure...
    Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    And @ Aromi... It ain't the years, it's the miles, or so my sweetie says ('bout himself as he's 3 yrs. younger than me)

I think Katie is an absolute delight. I always enjoy her wit, charm and insight. Of course we are all entitled to our own opinions, but come on folks, do we really need to attack one of our own? If you don't like her YouTube videos, I will personally refund twice your price of admission. Go Katie!
    Last edited by MikeNY; 6th October 2010 at 03:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    She looks great, that's for sure...

This seems to be an "ad hominem" argument, despite being positive, isn't it?

Over and over again: what do You expect from a review?

What is the use in watching somebody sniffing the stuff? I mean, You see but not smell the situation. Does anybody really try to read his own experience with a scent from the face of the reviewer?! We all know that the wording regarding fragrances notes is quite tedious. One mans rose is the other womans amber. She is nauseated by sweets while he can't stand aquatics. It becomes the more random the longer the notes list gets. North West African Cinnamon, what does that mean, go figure! Such reviews as discussed here are made for dreaming. They pull You into the idea to try a scent, or in case of SM to dismiss it, and that's all about it.

In case of SM the direction was too clear right from the start. If ME would -review- a scent I would re-view it. Instead of "smelling the first time on camera", I would try to figure it out before I tell the whole world on the tube. As far as I see every "review" of SM has been of this type since. People show off their preocupied disgust, going ditzy, giggle, having tons of fun with the pretended bodily secretions (puuh! do they need that?), but bash it at last -mom told us not to play with earwax.

I'm in good contact with my bodily presence. And too I am with that of my girl friend. So the idea of smelling "saliva, sperm, blood" wasn't that horrible. Alas, the scent resembled at once a situation from my pre puberty childhood, which speaks for the complexity of it. Apples, partly rotten - the "do not eat me" alert that hits You after the lovely unexpected fresh beginning. Would anybody eat Jicky, though?!

IfI had it on the tube, what would I have said? Nothing to rave about for sure. By now I'm a bit wiser. After several "full wearings" SM is as peculiar as is CDG Odeurs #53 and #71. These scents are outstanding, but technically obscure. How are these effects achieved?! The notes are rediculous, misleading, for sure synthetic for the most part. All these three fragrances blow me back about 40 years in time to get the clue! They f* up my olfactory system. Not in being evil but for being devine. SM is the most vivid of the pack, and not at least the most natural one. Oddly enough nobody complained about me smelling anything than good. SM pleased their noses more or less as with any other frag. Smelling it on oneself is an issue, the rot is something to be coped with - sometimes. I'm pretty sure the fragrances reception is in parts about hefty public preoccupations that are self-sellers here in a forum, peer pressure etc.

My privy cleaning agent smell of a nitrile too, so fresh
    Last edited by WildThingy; 6th October 2010 at 03:29 AM.

This thread is turning into Freak Jello.

WildThingy, have you been sniffing some real secretions?

----comment deleted----> Basenotes is worth more than the substance of the comment. D.J.

WildThingy - some of us just want this hobby to be fun, my friend. This is fragrance, not life or death.

Incidentally, I have sniffed SM and personally I can see no purpose in it other than shock tactics. It's an easy rarget alright, but in my opinion it brings it upon itself.

I still want to see Dynamite Dennis review SM!

Her reviews are amusing and often funny. I would have never guessed 48. Much younger.

Quite a few Basenoters regularly blog on Youtube, and while I don't always agree with their tastes or enjoy their style of reviews, I've enjoyed meeting a few in real life and glad I've never said anything about them online I wouldn't have said to their face.
    So, you say exactly what you want to people's faces, 100% of the time? Boy, you're mighty brave...

You've completely missed the point - my indifference to her doesn't stem from her Youtube reviews but from her stint on TV years ago. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not slagging her off - I'm just explaining why I am unable to warm up to her and her Youtube review (which is the first, and last, Youtube review of hers I'll be watching).

If you see that as being disrespectful than your grasp of political correctness is deeply concerning. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, political correctness is just another form of fascism [not personally directed at you, Sugandaraja]...

Anyway, I'm done here. Don't forget to clean up when you've finished...
    Last edited by Trebor; 6th October 2010 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrich View Post
    WildThingy - some of us just want this hobby to be fun, my friend. This is fragrance, not life or death.

Incidentally, I have sniffed SM and personally I can see no purpose in it other than shock tactics. It's an easy rarget alright, but in my opinion it brings it upon itself.

I still want to see Dynamite Dennis review SM!
    So me was the drag to dirsturb your fun with a scent intended to be bashed (is that English sufficient?) as an easy target? Lust of revulsion!

Well then, sometime there will be an other place to discuss a 5* fragrance aside of juvenile enthusiasm. I still think it is peculiar and such a good implementation that it is worth that effort. But if you are just after some angular fun, well, enjoy, won't you?

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, political correctness is just another form of fascism [not personally directed at you, Sugandaraja]...

Anyway, I'm done here. Don't forget to clean up when you've finished...
    I think here You misinterpret the intentions of Sugandaraja. I'm sure she just wanted to ground the discussion to something personal. An "ad hominem" argument in the positive direction.

I'm clean already, don't worry.

Thank you, WildThingy, I will enjoy. Life's way too short to do otherwise.

I think WildThingy have made very good observations in this thread. Absolutely nothing wrong with being critical.

While she is beautiful and has charisma, that review had no substance whatsoever. This debate here is kind of strange; why do you have to be either for or against her or this particular review? I'm both. It was good but bad; entertaining but useless.

So, you say exactly what you want to people's faces, 100% of the time? Boy, you're mighty brave...
    I don't, and generally consider it a mark of civility not to say the first thing that springs to mind if it could easily be construed as unnecessarily hurtful or insulting. Evidently, others values may be different from my own, and I have no problem with that.

If you see that as being disrespectful than your grasp of political correctness is deeply concerning. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, political correctness is just another form of fascism...
    I never said I found your words disrespectful. My dialogue on this thread with you so far only began after I put in a general note up-thread to remind folks that, while tensions may be mounting on this thread, Katie is a real person and a member on this board who may be reading these words. In fact, up till the moment I posted that comment, there wasn't a single comment on this thread I found particularly troublesome in that regard, it just seemed things might be headed in that direction. I don't run this forum and people are always free to say what they like, but I sometimes feel that people can forget that they are dealing with a real person whose feelings can be hurt by the words they use.

How exactly this applies to establishing a nationalist single-party state is quite beyond me, and I think beyond the scope of this thread. If Grant every decides to reopen the Politics board I will happy to discuss this at length, as I'm quite curious to learn what, if any, connection there may be.

Not that I like promoting myself, but I just happened to review...not really, but moreso experience SM. It's everything I was hoping it wouldnt be. Absolutely disgusting. I was expecting more sour notes, but all I got was sharp, piercing, gut wretching vibes. I even tried to smell it wafting in the air....no luck. The longer I sat there, the stronger the crap became. I was left speechless. I didnt want to just say how bad it smelled, but really there was nothing I could say. It's awful. It's an odor, not perfume. With that said, I love Katie.

Last edited by Kerosene; 6th October 2010 at 05:51 PM.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Love your videos Kerosene , pretty much all of the youtubers are great . Katie Teresa Kerosene Julio Will Marc Dan I enjoy watching them all and value your opinions and views

And Patrick ..... dont be so hard on yourself either 1111111!!!!!!
    Last edited by Pour_Monsieur; 6th October 2010 at 07:50 PM.

I don't, and generally consider it a mark of civility not to say the first thing that springs to mind if it could easily be construed as unnecessarily hurtful or insulting. Evidently, others values may be different from my own, and I have no problem with that.

I never said I found your words disrespectful. My dialogue on this thread with you so far only began after I put in a general note up-thread to remind folks that, while tensions may be mounting on this thread, Katie is a real person and a member on this board who may be reading these words. In fact, up till the moment I posted that comment, there wasn't a single comment on this thread I found particularly troublesome in that regard, it just seemed things might be headed in that direction. I don't run this forum and people are always free to say what they like, but I sometimes feel that people can forget that they are dealing with a real person whose feelings can be hurt by the words they use.

How exactly this applies to establishing a nationalist single-party state is quite beyond me, and I think beyond the scope of this thread. If Grant every decides to reopen the Politics board I will happy to discuss this at length, as I'm quite curious to learn what, if any, connection there may be.
    Well said, Sugandaraja. How a conversation about someone's YouTube review has devolved into accusations of fascism is beyond me. I do know that defending a fellow basenoter for expressing her opinion on a perfume is not an exercise in political correctness, it's the right thing to do.
    Last edited by MikeNY; 6th October 2010 at 10:30 PM.

Fair point, Mike. However, being called juvenile (see #111) for not taking it all too seriously, is just as puzzling, I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrich View Post
    Fair point, Mike. However, being called juvenile (see #111) for not taking it all too seriously, is just as puzzling, I hope.
    You're right! It'd be easier to decipher the DaVinci Code than some of those posts.