Code of Conduct
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Kerosene

Default Re: Funniest review ever / Katie Puckrik and Secretions Magnifiques!

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    I certainly agree that this is the case with most frags. Of course, I can't see how anyone would even consider a blind buy, let alone sampling, this one. The only redeeming part is knowing that people are going to expect a funny review. How about funny reviews of other colognes? Maybe Encre Noir could be called Smokey the Bear's wet dream, or something like that?
    Personally, I wasnt even trying to be funny. lol I think I was just being myself and experiencing the fragrance, like I do any other.

Just re-reading Luca Turin's 5-friggin-star review of Secretions Magnifiques. And this guy gives Bois du Portugal 3 stars? I bet he also thought that crucifix in urine peice a few years back was high art.
    Last edited by MikeNY; 9th October 2010 at 10:48 PM.

Erm maybe you should educate yourself about " Piss Christ "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piss_Christ

" Serrano has not ascribed overtly political content to Piss Christ and related artworks, on the contrary stressing their ambiguity. He has also said that while this work is not intended to denounce religion, it alludes to a perceived commercializing or cheapening of Christian icons in contemporary culture "

This thread has become so random and meaningless its hilarious !!!!!

The photograph was one of a series of photographs that Serrano had made that involved classical statuettes submerged in various fluids—milk, blood, and urine.
    Sounds not that different from SM actually.

Pour Monsieur wrote:

"This thread has become so random and meaningless its hilarious !!!!!"

I don't think comparing Secretions Magnifique to a different piece of shock art is random and meaningless. My belief is that SM has garnered all this attention because it is so shocking. Same with Serrano's piece, if it were merely a photo of a crucifix, would it have gotten this much attention?

Though I appreciate your recommendation for me to "educate myself," I'm familiar with the piece; I called it crucifix in urine to avoid using "Piss Christ" on Basenotes.
    Last edited by MikeNY; 9th October 2010 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    Just re-reading Luca Turin's 5-friggin-star review of Secretions Magnifiques. And this guy gives Bois du Portugal 3 stars? I bet he also thought that "crucifix in urine" piece a few years back was high art.
    This is a perfect example of why I could care less about his opinions.
    He gives one of the better Creeds only 3 stars, but gives a gimmick 5!

But then again, thoughts on fragrances are very subjective.
    Because of this, maybe I shouldn't be so hard on LT...
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Exactly! Good observation buzzley. I took both of these reviews as entertainment and not information (and not very entertaining at all). Makes me want to buy the scent and wear it around all the young, disrespectful, ill-mannered young people of today with all their light/fresh/clean no character synthetic scents and their underwear hangin' out with their ball cap on sideways or backwards....sort of an olfactory middle finger.

Must have missed this. Very entertaining.

Nice review, but she sounds like a Berlitz failure at French.

Enjoyed all the reviews on some level. Kerosene's was the funniest though. Interesting that the child didn't find it gross.

Bit shocked that the sweet looking girl in green was swearing like a sailor.

Dependent

Katie is rather stiff. That put me off. Also, "pee and poo" aren't secretions, they're excretions. Then again, blood is neither...

Katie is hot!
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Finally got around to trying this stuff. It's actually quite a pleasant, interesting scent. Not at all what I was expecting after seeing these reviews.
    Currently wearing: Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

Kerosene

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    Finally got around to trying this stuff. It's actually quite a pleasant, interesting scent. Not at all what I was expecting after seeing these reviews.
    Did you get a new formulation? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    It's interesting all right. Just like sticking your nose up to a dog's bum is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    It's interesting all right. Just like sticking your nose up to a dog's bum is interesting.
    Haw haw. Witty.
    Currently wearing: Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

I thought this was hilarious. I always see her looking so prepared, so it was definitely fun to watch this. Always liked her personality.

I also tried this one a couple of weeks ago with some of my friends. None of us found it as revolting as the hype machine wanted us to believe it was. One of my friends said that she thought it smelled like old dying flowers, but that in and of itself didn't particularly bother her.

There are a few BN favorites that I find much more offensive than this one. Don't think I'd buy a full bottle of SM , but either way, not all as bad as it's rumored to be IMHO.

"For the record, there always should have been a dissenting view from me on this one: one star, absolutely revolting, like a drop of J'Adore on an oyster you know you shouldn't eat. Whatever you do, do not allow any to touch your nose when you smell it off a paper. I know Luca is a convincing proselytizer, but trust me. TS"

Tania Sanchez in: The Little Book Of Perfumes, The 100 Classics / Profile Books 2007 / page 70.

Not that it matters, but I find her truly beautiful. Also, of course it helps when a critic knows what she is talking about and never lacks words to express herself clearly and as a lady.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Yea that was pretty awesome lol.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

Post Re: Funniest review ever / Katie Puckrik and Secretions Magnifiques!

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post

Tania Sanchez in: The Little Book Of Perfumes, The 100 Classics / Profile Books 2007 / page 70.

... never lacks words to express herself clearly and as a lady.
    I think that is the essence of writing, isn't it? Inspired by my last look at this board I tried it again. And I have to admit that it seemed to be tremendously strong. One spritz tickled my nose for hours. But light application payed later when SM went into the base, which can be stuffy, as every woody - e/g sandalwood - tends to be.

The picture of a rotten oyster with a drop of an effeminate perfume - it's clearly a matter of taste. Change the thick perfume to a blooming white wine and accept a faint seashore smell of the oyster as natural, here You are!

It all depends on the attitude with which someone get's his nose closer. There are people who think Jicky smells of poop. Once this picture is settled, it's hard to correct it. So, the 'review' here (* Katies) is exactly not that. It is a first glance with tons of prejudice, not at least emphasized by an anxious attitude the US-American 'community' in here piled up.

Remember the 'Old Europe" thing? Secretions Magnifique IS a 5 star perfume - refine something harsh with a pleaser: Mitsouko, refine a pleaser with something harsh: SM. The US-style expresses itself in fruit salad oriented offensively generic and/or derivative concoctions of CREED heritage (?!) the like. So, You wish to smell attractive? Avoid SM, Your mindset doesn't fit.

I think a masterpiece - which occasionally may seem to be a trick of the tail - is such independently from peoples likings
    Last edited by WildThingy; 3rd December 2011 at 09:08 AM.

Last edited by HazelMae; 3rd December 2011 at 04:20 PM.

I myself have tried this fragrance, hoping to find that somehow they had managed to bottle that "just rolled off your lover" scent. I was supremely disappointed. This fragrance to me is the quintessential "Emperor With New Clothes". I'm sure some genuinely love it, but I suspect a great deal of those that say they love it are only saying that to seem sophisticated and elitist. Even after two showers, scrubbing in the sink, trying to layer something more appealing over it, twice, the single drop I applied to my forearm took almost 24 hours to dissipate. This has horrific staying power, like the bog of eternal stench, and I feel deeply sorry for this reviewer because of how much she applied.

Oh, and it smelled like cat piss on me, with iris. I'm jealous of anyone who has tried this and actually got the "semen" note. Lucky you.
    Last edited by Valkyriespacegirl; 26th December 2012 at 03:38 PM.