Code of Conduct

Default discontinued/reformulated blues - womens fragrances

Hello, thanks for the replies to my last thread.

I've been thinking a lot about how perfume houses discontinue and reformulate fragrances leaving the loyal fans high and dry. I've heard people say, "If only there'd been a warning that they were going to change the formula I could have stocked up!"

----

What are some fragrances that you came to love that whose manufacturers trampled all over your heart by snatching it away from you, either by discontinuing it or changing it so that your heart wasn't in it anymore?

THANKS!!

Default Re: discontinued/reformulated blues - womens fragrances

ps if you see something on the list that you might have mentioned yourself be sure to give a "here here".

I'd like to know which are the ones that are really missed the most by..I won't say women, but by wearers of women's fragrances.

Well I miss the original Rive Gauche and Diorissimo.
    I was sad when they discontinued Roma and Cristobal and furious when they decided to mess with the Shiseido Feminite Du Bois (although I can still source it in France.)
    Cabochard is a whisper of its former self now.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

+1 for Rive Gauche and Diorissimo, Kewart -

I miss Krazy Krizia, Mystere de Rochas and Christobal too.

Reine

Blog Entries

+2 for Diorissimo.

Magie Noire as well.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I want the Coty Chypre!
    And I think something bad has happened to Miss Balmain, I used to love it and then suddenly it smelled vile
    I think it's an evil practice to reformulate fragrances.
    There should be some kind of punishment for it!

Blog Entries

Eau d'Hadrien has been gutted.
    They ruined Coriandre utterly, and even Paris doesn't smell right to me-- it's harsh and makes me sneeze..

Basenotes Plus

+1 for both Dorissimo and Rive Gauche. Also, back in the late 70's I loved L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci, I just bought a new bottle a few months ago, not the same at all, so disappointing.
    Let us share each precious moment and enjoy the ones we love for each day is a new beginning and a blessing from above.

Caron urn parfums!!! I really, really find myself pining for Farnesiana and Poivre, and what I have in their place is more or less unrecognizable. They're not bad, but they're really, really not the same fragrances the once were; I never would have connected old and new as the same fragrance. I've actually started to like Une Fleur de Cassie more these days, not for its own merits, but simply because it's the closest I'll get to my favorite Caron, the old Farnesiana ( the new one smells like doughy bananas - why!? )

A song for everyone effected by reformulation blues!

I have said this so many times here, but my heart is broken about Odalisque by PDN. The white florals, salty oakmoss & incense are gone, leaving an interesting but linear and flat leather that makes me a little nauseous. I miss that "little bit of sinister" in the old Mitsouko and that "lots of sinister" in the old Cristalle. I will continue to buy both Mitsouko & Cristalle until the "powers that be" mess with them further, but I will never again buy Odalisque...it is that different & disappointing. The chypres have suffered the most.

Yes! What they've down to Odalisque is very sad; the vintage is gorgeous. Cristalle I simple can't recognize as itself - the vintage is gorgeous but the modern just leaves me cold, it no longer has that wonderfully intense "green" feel.

Basenotes Institution

I have said so much about reformulation, I dare not say any more.....though I do hope that in the future, the 'powers that be' will come to their senses.
    I miss depth and body in our perfumes these days.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I'd echo Mimi's sentiment except that I've done so much lamenting and complaining that I'm almost ready to just embrace the reality of it. Almost every vintage fragrance in my collection has been a victim of discontinuation or such a botched facelift it might as well be discontinued - Gucci No.1, Gucci No.3, Vent Vert, Calvin Klein, Givenchy III, K de Krizia, L'Arte di Gucci, Mystere, Detchema, Tuxedo, 8e Jour, Dune, Opium, Flora Danica, Deneuve, Babe, Galanos, Ysatis, Halston, Topaze, Donna Trussardi, Rose Cardin, Yendi, No. 19, Occur, Rive Gauche, etc, etc, ad nauseam. I've done the only thing I feel I can do about it and stocked up on everything that's important to me.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Initial and Trouble by Boucheron.....I believe that these have been discontinued.....And I know that they can still be found.....I won't take a chance on these since they have been hard to come by for so long.....I Loved when my Wife had these great scents.....and I Loved purchasing them for Her.....I now Love Flower Bomb and Armani Code Pour Femme and many more.....Just thought I would throw in a couple that I Loved from the past!!!
    Gary

Thank you so much for sharing your pain with me this is a valuable guide to me who doesn't know much about the world of women's fragrances.

I guess it's really not surprising to learn the extent to which women have suffered all along as men, or at least this one, is just beginning to suffer.

I fell in love with Dioressence years ago. When they stopped selling it at Macy's here, I just couldn't get it. When I finally found it a few years later, I thought I had been sold a fake! It was NOT the same fragrance! When I complained, they just said they they NEVER change the formula. Yeah, right!

I've read threads here and elsewhere about some of Laura Biagiotti's older fragrances being sorely missed. These include Venezia, Venezia Pastello, and Sotto Voce. Also, some of the earlier Laura Ashley fragrances such as L'Eau by Laura Ashley and Laura Ashley No. 1.

I don't wear these myself but have sought out bottles from the collector's viewpoint.

Byzance, by Rochas. Now it's apparently been discontinued altogether. What am I to do- I really love it!?

I really miss the original Samsara - reformulated version is ok but no where near as good as the original

Update: Byzance is either back. or a fresh cache has been discovered. Fragrancenet has it but it's no longer discounted and they're already sold out of the 3.4oz size. If you happen to like this one you should probably snatch some up!

Oh my gosh! I have just learned that my source of Feminite Du Bois by Shiseido
    (Marionnaud) no longer stocks it. They only carry the new Lutens version, which is
    just not the same. I only have one back-up bottle so if anyone hears of another carrier
    of this wonderful scent please let me know.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Ebay still has tons of this. Good luck with your quest. I have given up on my search for a bottle of the old Odalisque.