Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Group is closed-- Malle Floral samples to pass around

I spent my day with Lipstick Rose on each wrist and here are my impressions: I recall a few years ago trying a small sample of Lipstick Rose and dismissing it as being too synthetic and "plasticy" Not my thing. It brought to mind the memory of my Barbie Doll pink cadillac - frivolous, superficial and of no use to me. TODAY I am here to say that I spent the day driving around in my pink cadillac with the hood down, and baby, I LOVED IT. Just goes to show how much a person's perspective can change. I mean, I want this. I could see myself wearing this floozy frag every day! It's pretty, it's pink, it's not too serious, and it made me happy. The blurb on the packaging describes this as a scent that will make you smile and this time, I guess I have lightened up enough to enjoy it.
    Another note: I recently purchase the new Chanel Coco Rouge lipstick and it has a soft rosewater scent...which goes nicely with this Malle floral. A good lipstick match for this would be Backstage Bambi (a hot fuschia pink) but today I layered Kat Von d's Cathedral with Underage Red on top for a matte red lip that also made me happy!
    Longevity is good, I spritzed at 7am and here we are at 6pm and Lipstick Rose is still present, softer and a bit powdery, but naive and sweet.
    I love it.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Nice write-up rtamara! I love it too, and I agree that you just can't help but feel happy and pretty and girly and flirty when wearing it. I also picture it as hot pink...a hot pink babydoll peignoir with matching maribu slippers, actually.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Nice write-up rtamara! I love it too, and I agree that you just can't help but feel happy and pretty and girly and flirty when wearing it. I also picture it as hot pink...a hot pink babydoll peignoir with matching maribu slippers, actually.
    thanks, Evangeline, I think that maybe I have finally "grown up" enough to realize life is serious enough - pass me the maribou slippers, lol!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Yay! Sounds like your package arrived safely. Sample on, and keep those reviews coming....
    If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

hi coopmom! Thank you, the package arrived safely in yesterday's mail, and greeted me after a long day...a welcome sight! I am just not sure anything is going to impress me as much as Lipstick Rose, we'll see...

Exciting stuff, folks!

I'm trying not to read much about these scents before I get them, to minimize any bias, but I do peek at this thread from to time. I look forward to finding my favorites and learning what the rest of our group thinks.

Cheers!

Sorry! Double post!
    Last edited by NebraskaLovesScent; 5th November 2010 at 11:26 PM. Reason: removing double post

Now wearing one spritz of Une Rose and can't help comparing it with two other scents in my collection with a pronounced, realistic rose note: Sa Majeste la Rose by Serge Lutens and the earthy Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Perfumers. Une Rose started off with a green burst and is settling into a rather sharp, earthy rose. My associations of this are of the scent of rose in a garden on a hot summery afternoon, I can almost hear bees buzzing around my head and I want to squint my eyes. In comparison to the scents I mentioned, Une Rose is lacking the sweet soft honey note that makes me love Sa Majeste la Rose as a comfort scent, and is also lacking the boozy, patchouli perversity of the dark Voleur de Roses that appeals to my inner goth girl.
    In other words, for me, Une Rose is a rose is a rose. period.

okey dokey, now on my third of the four samples: Iris Poudre. I have one spray on each wrist, and was surprised that the topnotes reminded me right away of my first experience of Burberry Brit...something soprano and screechy not unlike mosquito repellant. Maybe there is a note in these that is strumming my olfactory receptors the wrong way, like chalk on a blackboard. Maybe I am just Shalimar'd out and my nose is longing for that spicy oriental sweetness and the cool contrast of the Iris Poudre is doing me in. After 40 minutes, the sensation is softer and more appealing, but not sure this can make up for such a rough beginning. Is this what aldehydes do to me? I am a Chanel no 5 lover, so I thought I like aldehydes, so I was surprised, Let's see how this develops.

Good morning! Haven't seen or heard anything since this last post on the 9th. Is the group still active? Are the samples still traveling?

(Yes, I am the next on the list to receive. Can you tell I am eager to sniff these? LOL!)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaLovesScent View Post
    Good morning! Haven't seen or heard anything since this last post on the 9th. Is the group still active? Are the samples still traveling?

(Yes, I am the next on the list to receive. Can you tell I am eager to sniff these? LOL!)
    NebraskaLovesscent!!! Hang on, dear, my apologies, the fragrant package of samples was supposed to be winging its way to you last saturday and I just couldn't make it happen You read my mind, because I should have emailed you to give you an update on the timeframe.

Samples will be going out no later than this Saturday to you, and I will email you the moment I return from the post office.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Frédéric Malle is now available at Aedes.com, so if anyone didn't join the group and wants to try them, or if any of the group members want to try samples of perfumes that were not included in this swap, remember that Aedes has a sampling program. (see: http://www.aedes.com/samples.php)-- 7 decanted samples for $15 including shipping.

Samples have arrived! Thank you, rtamara! (And thanks again, 30 Roses, for making this possible!

I'm already scented for the day so I'll wait until tomorrow to begin testing on skin. I did a quick sniff of each dispenser and Iris Poudre is an early favorite.

Talked to Dennard today and he has since had a chance to try some of these and is opting out of the group.

So, PerfumedLady, you'll get the samples very soon!

I tested Iris Poudre this morning and am testing Une Rose on the other arm tonight.

I really love Iris Poudre and found it a beautiful, creamy scent for the chilly weather. It's much warmer and sweeter than the other Iris scents I have tried in the past (Prada Infusion d'Iris, Parfums Delrae Mythique, Yves Rocher Iris Noir, all of which I really like!) Iris seems to be a supporting player in this one, rather than the star of the show. I find it very similar to Jacomo Anthracite, which I already own, but Iris Poudre will definitely get full bottle consideration when my Anthracite is used up.

Une Rose began as a pretty straightforward rose scent on me. Nice, high-quality but nothing special. It has moved to a new phase in the last hour or so. Less sweet, even a bit citrus-y at this point. I look forward to the truffle accord that is supposed to be evident in the base. Will report back with a final verdict and more updates tomorrow!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Talked to Dennard today and he has since had a chance to try some of these and is opting out of the group.
    As NebraskaLovesScents has pointed out to me, this means that our backup member, Warum, will be able to participate after all.

So, PerfumedLady, you'll get the samples very soon!
    YAY!I'm so excited,for myself and for Warum,too!I'm especially looking forward to trying Iris Poudre.It sounds lovely.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Blog Entries

Yay, I am doing a happy dance! Super excited! And looking forward to reading all your reviews.

Une Rose finished nicely (no urinous notes ), but it lacked complexity for me. The more interesting notes never fully developed. If I were looking for a beautiful, natural-smelling rose with some longevity, it would be a perfect candidate.

On to Lipstick Rose today. Whoa! Sweet and sugary! I recently sampled DSH's Quinacridone Violet and the opening of Lipstick Rose reminds me a lot of that one. I could smell more violets than rose. Now that it has settled down, it lives up to its name. It truly does smell like vintage lipstick of an impossibly bright color, in a gold tube or a bakelite compact. I give it points for being unusual and pleasant, but it's not quite my taste.

Iris Poudre is still my favorite. That one lasted 12+ hours on me and got better (although with less sillage) over time. I'll see how En Passant stacks up tomorrow.

Short story to share: my husband liked the smell of Lipstick Rose, because it reminded him of when he was a small boy and used to eat his mom's lipstick. He thought it smelled appetizing. I'm sure it smelled better than it actually tasted.

I wore En Passant to work today. 12 hours after application, it's still going strong. All of the Malle's in this group have had excellent longevity. En Passant also has amazing sillage, probably the best of the bunch.

It's a nice tribute to lilac flowers, but it doesn't smell exactly like them. It has fresh greens and even a soapy undertone on me. I think this one would be wonderful for Spring, but it felt a little out of place for the cold, gray day we had here in Nebraska today.

Thanks, 30 Roses, for this wonderful opportunity. Iris Poudre was the "winner" for me. I look forward to hearing PerfumedLady's and Warum's thoughts.

(PerfumedLady, I'll get these on their way to you, tomorrow!)
    Last edited by NebraskaLovesScent; 4th December 2010 at 12:21 AM. Reason: corrected spelling

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Short story to share: my husband liked the smell of Lipstick Rose, because it reminded him of when he was a small boy and used to eat his mom's lipstick. He thought it smelled appetizing. I'm sure it smelled better than it actually tasted.
    Oh, that is so cute! Gave me a chuckle!

I'll be watching for them,Nebraska!That lipstick story is so hilarious!I'll bet your MIL just loved it when she found her chewed up lipsticks!

Blog Entries

Funny story!
    Reminded me of my friend. She still gets mad when she thinks about her son putting all her exclusive french makeup on his toy monkey saying, "Well, Mama, she needed it, she's a girl too!"

The samples have arrived!I'll begin sampling tomorrow but I have been doing a little sniffing.Lipstick Rose reminds me very much of Guerlain's Insolence when I sniff from my bottle.I quite like Insolence so now I'm really interested to see how Lipstick Rose compares on skin.Iris Poudre does smell very pretty from the decant,just as I expected(I love iris-one of my favorite florals).I'm intrigued by Une Rose;it seems very deep and rich.Don't know what to make of En Passant yet;it seems odd to me from the decant but that's never held me back from anything before!I'll report back when I have real opinions!

Hello,everyone!Well,I can report that you aren't the only one who gets the urinous note in Une Rose,30 Roses!Oh,boy was it pronounced on me and started fairly early in the heart notes for me.The thing is,I still think I love it.I only wore one spray and it was on my inner elbow.I'm going to try my other spray on a cooler spot or a piece of cotton,I think,and see if I can figure out a way to work with it.It definitely has my interest.Lipstick Rose is indeed a less complicated,more linear Insolence,but I do like these cosmetic-y sort of scents.I think they are witty and fun.Had I found Lipstick Rose first,I probably would have fallen in love with it,but I do prefer the more complicated development of the Guerlain.Lipstick Rose has been a joy to wear nonetheless!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

That's why I stopped wearing Une Rose on skin and started spraying it on some burgundy colored rice paper in this locket, which I bought at the mall at an accessories store for about $18. It has a magnetic closure. Cheap and convenient!

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Lipstick Rose reminds me very much of Guerlain's Insolence when I sniff from my bottle.I quite like Insolence so now I'm really interested to see how Lipstick Rose compares on skin.
    Interesting. I know I have smelled Insolence but I guess it didn't make a big impression on me. I'll have to give it a good skin test next time I'm at Sephora.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    That's why I stopped wearing Une Rose on skin and started spraying it on some burgundy colored rice paper in this locket, which I bought at the mall at an accessories store for about $18. It has a magnetic closure. Cheap and convenient!

Also interesting! How long does the scent last on the rice paper, 30 Roses? And is the sillage as good?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Also interesting! How long does the scent last on the rice paper, 30 Roses? And is the sillage as good?
    Days! I get tired of it long before the scent fades. And the sillage is excellent!

On blotter paper, it lasts even longer. I sprayed a paper blotter with Une Rose at Barney's in Boston on July 31-- that is when I bought my set of travel size atomizers. The blotter still smells strongly of the scent, and it's only been stored tucked into a store charge card application folder. It is very tenacious!

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Days! I get tired of it long before the scent fades. And the sillage is excellent!
    This makes Une Rose a reasonable purchase as far as budget is concerned in my mind!I still have my last spray yet to use of it and I'm looking forward to it.I haven't been able to keep my nose away from the decant.That locket is a great under $20 find,30 Roses!Very pretty and a nice size,too.

Nebraska,do try Insolence on skin!I don't think you'll fall in love with it but if you can sample it for free,I think you'll enjoy the comparison experience with Lipstick Rose.I'd love to hear if they strike you as similar as they did me.

I have tried En Passant and Iris Poudre.The lilac in En Passant was gorgeous while it was fresh and dewy but that phase lasted only a few minutes for me.It quickly got soapy in a harsh way,then became rather dusty,like a slightly past its prime bouquet of lilacs literally covered in dust.Such a pity!I'll bet on the right chemistry,the cucumber notes prevent this odd progression of the florals.Olivia Giacobetti's Philosykos does stay crisp and fresh on me,even into the drydown,so I know how lovely her green scents can be.En Passant must be stunning on the right person.Iris Poudre is just so beautiful!As an iris,it isn't my favorite,however I do think it's a standout in the floral aldehyde category.I got quite a bit of sillage and outstanding longevity with this one and the aldehydes sparkled all day long!
    I'll be sending these on to Warum very shortly,possibly tomorrow but definitely Monday at the latest-I'll post again then!

The samples are on their way to Warum,now!Still quite a bit of juice left,too.Everyone was very cautious with the amount used.I split my final spray of Une Rose between my wrists this morning and so far,no urinous notes.That little hot spot in the crook of my arm may have just been too much for this one!I am going to order a good sized decant of Une Rose from TPC and keep experimenting with it and I may end up stealing 30 Roses' locket idea.I really love the fresh green rose note and the more chypresque elements make it right up my alley.I have gotten quite the crash course in fragrance lately,between this swap and the Penhaligon's swap that was also arranged by 30 Roses.I am so appreciative of these opportunities!I can't thank you enough,30 Roses!

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Group is closed-- Malle Floral samples to pass around

I have received the samples, and after testing them I will be mailing them back to 30 Roses, thus closing the circle!

I am very excited to try them out! Will keep you posted on my impressions. Thanks everyone! I will certainly have enough to test and our wonderful 30 Roses who hosted the group exchange will be able to test as well, which is fantastic.

So, stay tuned!

Blog Entries

So far I only sprayed once Iris Poudre, and I liked its gentle top notes and a nice comforting heart. It became a little too green for me in the base, will need to test again to see at what point in time this transition happened and maybe trace how it happened (if I'm lucky!).

Blog Entries

En Passant... My next spray of it goes not on my skin, since it ruins it, but on some rice paper. I'll be getting some to see if Roses' idea with a pendant would work for such a lovely lilac fragrance that only seems to smell like lilac on me for the first 5 minutes....

Same here,Warum-my skin turned En Passant into a stinker!I wish I had thought to divide up my sprays of this one,as I did with Une Rose.I would love to smell EP as it develops the correct way-I could tell it would be one gorgeous scent on the right chemistry.

Blog Entries

Not a stinker as much, but it's lilac for the first five minutes and then it's like "I got caught in a shower and I am hiding from it under a lilac bush that bloomed some time in the past." Greenish and watery. Not a stinker, but certainly not what I needed there!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

About the rice paper, I just used it because I had it on hand and it was pretty showing through the holes in the locket. Use any paper!

PerfumeLady, I'm sure to get back to Barney's at some point and will try to get another sample to share.

Roses,I would love the chance to try again if we're able,and as long as it wouldn't mean depriving someone who hasn't had the chance to try it of the opportunity.I'd like to spray EP on paper and on my husband,if he'll go for it!I think he would;my lilacs are the only thing I grow that he will actually take time out specifically to walk around the property and sniff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    Not a stinker as much, but it's lilac for the first five minutes and then it's like "I got caught in a shower and I am hiding from it under a lilac bush that bloomed some time in the past." Greenish and watery. Not a stinker, but certainly not what I needed there!
    I would have been glad for more of the green watery effect-on me it really began to remind me of a vase of lilacs after I've forgotten to change the water for a few days!Not pretty.However,I think I did get to enjoy the gorgeous white lilac note for a whole fifteen minutes!Enough to know it's not the fragrance,it's me.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

PerfumedLady,

If it's a true, realistic lilac you're after, you can do no better than Highland Lilac of Rochester. They sell samples, too. Check out their website.

Thanks,Roses!I peeked over there-will go back later today and order my sample!I'm in the mood for spring-y scents already!We've had a long cold winter here in Indiana and no end in sight for awhile.I'm tired of my usual cold weather orientals!Either I have overused them this winter or I'm experiencing a shift in tastes.I guess time and sampling will tell!

Blog Entries

I loved both Malle's roses -- Un Rose is very natural, fresh pink rose, and Lipstick Rose is a fun, fun scent. It does smell like lipstick and it does make me smile