Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Tea Rose by Perfumer's Workshop - Is It A Good Rose?

I've read here and elsewhere that this is a decent rose fragrance, a good soliflore that is a terrific value for the money. Is this true? Or is it really something that smells more of a synthetic, "plasticky" rose? I'm a male who loves sweet, fresh, earthy roses, and don't mind crossing the gender marketing if this is good. But since you get a big bottle of the stuff (4 ounces for $15!) I don't want to jump the gun.

I am looking for a good, inexpensive soliflore rose. Opinions on this one, please!!!

Default Re: Tea Rose by Perfumer's Workshop - Is It A Good Rose?

It's a very fresh rose ..the english rose ..less natural than the Crabtree & Evelyn's one ( but also less expensive ). The drydown is woody : that's the point which is less natural ..it smells like a "broken branch of rose" + the smell of rose .
    For the price , you can try it . It"s very pleasant in spring or summer ( i'm also a rose lover ) and to my nose , it's one of the less expensive giving this impression of natural roses

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Personally I do not care for Tea Rose. It doesn't smell pleasant to me, and like no rose I've smelled.
    I recommend instead Woods of Windsor True Rose.

Are you in the USA? If so, I'll send you a sample of each. No cost/no obligation.

I love it, but I wore it way back in the day and have a nostalgic fondness for it. On me it always had a musky drydown. It's big and potent (smelly!) and easy to overdo. It was one of those love/hate fragrances of the time and probably still is. I wouldn't say it's plasticky and synthetic smelling, but there's more going on in there than a sweet innocent rose. I may go put some on for SotE now. I haven't worn it in ages.

Editing to add: I just took a tiny spritz to my wrist. I don't know if it's me, but this seems very linear and one dimensional to me now. I think it would be fun to have for layering experiments, but I honestly wouldn't reach for this one anymore. But it's been many, many years since I wore it, and we all move on.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 3rd October 2010 at 11:49 PM.

I have it and like it... I find it good for layering because by itself it's a little too much... I think 30 Roses is right that it doesn't smell like a real rose as we know roses in the US, but it does smell "like rose" very much. It makes me think of a florist's rose that is in nearly past full bloom and starting to turn a bit... which is why it seems better layered. But it's worth the price to my mind.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Banned
    Blog Entries

yeah I've read that it smells like an old rose, and even then not 100% like just an old rose. I guess for the money it's hard to go wrong, though.

It's a very strong, very green scent. I smell amber in the drydown. It has a 1970s vibe, which is when it was launched. Hard to imagine on a man.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

There's also Jo Malone Red Roses-- not my personal fav but liked by many....

Basenotes Plus

It's excellent for layering with other fragrances, but not my favorite rose on it's own.

I recently acquired a bottle of this one in a swap. For the first hour or so, it reminded me of a florist shop or funeral home type of rose smell. However, it transitioned into a creamy rose and tea fragrance, with the sillage toning down quite a bit. I have no problems with it, except that it's a bit simple (though the original idea may have been to use it in layering).

I think it was originally intended for layering, actually. All the scents at Perfumers Workshop were meant for mixing one's own personal fragrance. Tea Rose just became their huge mega seller, but originally the Perfumers Workshop (I remember their Bloomingdales counter in NYC in the 70s) had a big organ, I suppose, of all kinds of oils that you could buy, and they offered bottles of solution to dilute the oils and make your own colognes. I had tea rose, oak moss, gardenia, freesia...quite a few of those oils, most of them I just used on their own as skin oils. Once I bought a bottle of the solution for making an oak moss cologne. I was really into mixing my own in those days. All that survives now of the old Perfumers Workshop is Tea Rose edt. At one time the entire ground floor of Bloomingdales smelled of it. It was truly a love/hate fragrance. I received compliments on tea rose, and a few unfavorable remarks as well. Mostly compliments, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    It's excellent for layering with other fragrances, but not my favorite rose on it's own.
    same heere

if you are looking for something simple this is your guy - if not , steer away

An inexpensive rose soliflore, and also good for layering.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

Powerful stuff, too! There is enough green in it as to be overwhelming. I think Bigsly hit the nail on the head - a room full of wet cut roses, stems and all, like a florist shop - or like the flower section at Kroger's, and the "manager's special" section is getting particularly ripe.

My mom like rose, so I saw this and thought WTH, it's cheap enough... well, IMO it's as described above, quite a fresh florist like rose, so green, crisp, cold rose, almost a bit bitter to me. Very simple, very linear, and either to be worn as is for someone who doens't like anything complex, or IMO probably better as a layering tool. I find it a little plasticky and synthetic, but I suspect a light spritz as a layer could freshen up another frag. If it were any more expensive I'd say pass, but I'm still not sure it's good per se, just cheap for a lot of juice that smells like roses.
    NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

The cost of the ingredients that go into PW Tea Rose now must be pretty low, too. :-/

Boy, people here really nailed the description down: Tea rose is a cool, green, exceedingly rosy perfume that smells like a florist shop. It's realistic on that point. And inexpensive, too. Along the same vein, another good one, but more expensive and subtle, is Creed's Fleurs de Bulgarie, an airy rose scent that smells like June in a rose garden to me. Others say the same about Creed's Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare.

It smells like a kid gathered rose petals and stirred into water playing at making a rose perfume. It's got no sophistication at all but it's so chaep you could try it . Layering might just be the answer , I have it and am waiting for the light to come on that will help it a bit.